C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

I feel like venting about the US Models...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
E550 4MATIC
Ok, i know how crazy my last post sounds, lol i have problems.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:45 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
C63BS
Has anyone heard the rumor that benz will make the USA model car look a bit different?
Old 03-28-2007, 12:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by darkus
Has anyone heard the rumor that benz will make the USA model car look a bit different?
No I haven't heard that. What did you hear?
Old 03-28-2007, 07:13 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
C63BS
It will have a new front that will actually be MORE SPORTY. I take it to mean that the amg sport styling kit that usually is attached to the sport version will be now standard on all C-Classes in the USA. But I was wondering if there were going to actually be sheetmetal changes as well..
Old 03-28-2007, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by darkus
It will have a new front that will actually be MORE SPORTY. I take it to mean that the amg sport styling kit that usually is attached to the sport version will be now standard on all C-Classes in the USA. But I was wondering if there were going to actually be sheetmetal changes as well..
I think you might be talking about the two lines of C-Class. The luxury model will be with the hood star, and the sport model will have a grille star like that on the coupes/convertibles. The sport model will also get the AMG body styling.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Point of sports cars being RWD is to give the driver full control of the rear of the car which you cant do with a 4wd.

Going in to sharp turns most cars will understeer where fthe car will go straight while the front tires are turned. Having a rwd car gives the driver to capibilty to apply more throttle to get the back end to slide out and neutrilize the understeering car. Of cource this makes you turn corners alot faster since you dont have to slow down to save the car. Thats why all sports cars are RWD. AWD cars usually understeer as well but you cant just give more gas to turn the car, you have to let go off the gas to save the car which makes it slower. Plus AWD adds weight which is the worst thing for a sports car. Weight effects tire wear, handling & braking so it is more important than having more hp. Thats why in races AUDIS will lead first then start fall behind because extra wight will eat up their tires a lot quciker than RWD cars.

Some AWD cars can direct 100% of engine power to rear automatically making the car behave like a RWD but I am not sure how 4matic works in MB.
I know e46 BMW XI models don't do this and have a fixed power ratio front to rear so it is always 4 wheel drive.

Last edited by gokcer; 06-18-2007 at 12:55 PM.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by gokcer
Point of sports cars being RWD is to give the driver full control of the rear of the car which you cant do with a 4wd.

Going in to sharp turns most cars will understeer where fthe car will go straight while the front tires are turned. Having a rwd car gives the driver to capibilty to apply more throttle to get the back end to slide out and neutrilize the understeering car. Of cource this makes you turn corners alot faster since you dont have to slow down to save the car. Thats why all sports cars are RWD. AWD cars usually understeer as well but you cant just give more gas to turn the car, you have to let go off the gas to save the car which makes it slower. Plus AWD adds weight which is the worst thing for a sports car. Weight effects tire wear, handling & braking so it is more important than having more hp. Thats why in races AUDIS will lead first then start fall behind because extra wight will eat up their tires a lot quciker than RWD cars.

Some AWD cars can direct 100% of engine power to rear automatically making the car behave like a RWD but I am not sure how 4matic works in MB.
I know e46 BMW XI models don't do this and have a fixed power ratio front to rear so it is always 4 wheel drive.
I understand why RWD is used in sports cars, even though Audi has a different philosphy on that subject. My problem is that I just want the sporty look of a C-Class sport (AMG wheels and body) with the all year capabilities of 4Matic. I'm only 21 and I cannot afford to have many cars, so for the time being I need an all year round AWD car.

Unfortunately the 4Matic system in Mercedes has a 60/40 all time power split I think. I wish this wasn't the case, the AWD does eat up more gas when most of the time I don't need it.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:18 PM
QQQ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MY2001 C320
sorry this is all time AWD with no option to disengage.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally Posted by pmb600
I understand why RWD is used in sports cars, even though Audi has a different philosphy on that subject. My problem is that I just want the sporty look of a C-Class sport (AMG wheels and body) with the all year capabilities of 4Matic. I'm only 21 and I cannot afford to have many cars, so for the time being I need an all year round AWD car.

Unfortunately the 4Matic system in Mercedes has a 60/40 all time power split I think. I wish this wasn't the case, the AWD does eat up more gas when most of the time I don't need it.
AWD does consume a little more gas but shouldn't be big difference. I do 80% of highway driving and 20% city, I get about 350 miles to the tank (17 gal cap). If in a given week I'm doing more city, then just over 300 miles.

This compared to my old car, '94 C220, I got about the same amount of miles out of a tank (similar size tank).
Old 06-20-2007, 12:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
Have the drifters never heard of dyno mode?