C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

W204 Owners - Post how much you paid for it

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maytag
The bridge comment was uncalled for but i did have a good look at the 5's center console/armrest. I really can picture it being a little more hazardous to the driver than the other cars. I think BMW slipped a notch with the new 5-Series, it took a couple of years for us to even like its looks (shouldnt have had to) but once the side impact tests came out it dropped off the list.
Crash tests are are based on predetermined scenarios, which in my opinion the Volvo scenario in the article bears little resemblance to many real world situations. The test "experts" assume many factors and all test rating criterias are judged based on their predetermined criterias (who knows if they have any sponsors behind the scenes).

I think a more effective ranking of car safety should just be based on collecting real world crash scenario data and analysing that. How well did occupants survive in all real world crashes by car type, given the cars' technology? That would be objective because the crashes are real and the occupants, if they survived, can also be assessed.

Lets remind ourselves, BMWs are in general a lot safer than other tin cans on the road. Getting into a car is an calculated risk we take every day.

Do you really believe I'm the only one that believes the side impact test report?
See note from BMW:

I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. We really appreciate that so many of you care about BMW. We would like to answer your questions on “Is the BMW 5 Series safe, and why were the 5 Series results “Marginal” in the IIHS test?”

Since its launch in 2004, the 5 Series has performed exceptionally well in safety tests. BMW prides itself on benchmark levels of active safety (crash avoidance) with numerous standard features working to help customers avoid accidents – by far the best way to survive an accident is to avoid it in the first place. In fact, the 2008 5 Series is the first vehicle in the world available with optional Lane Departure Warning designed to provide a subtle physical steering wheel feedback to alert drivers when leaving a lane without signaling. This system, coupled with standard Enhanced DSC, available Head Up Display and ACC Stop and Go with radar braking, ensures that the 5 Series has state-of-the-art crash avoidance technology.

This does not mean, however, that BMW neglects Passive Safety. The 5 Series has an exceptionally strong and rigid body structure and a full compliment of airbags designed to protect all occupants in the event of a front, side, or rear crash, or even in the event of a complete roll-over. Side impact bars and a strong passenger cell also work to reduce vehicle intrusion in the event of a side crash. In addition, should a crash occur, intelligent engineering ensures that as much impact force as possible is channeled throughout the body structure and away from occupants.

In the case of the 5 Series crash test, the IIHS “Marginal” result was due to one specific area of contact that the dummy recorded at the IIHS defined seat position; the car that was tested missed a better result by a fractional amount. It is our opinion that the results of the IIHS crash test could have been much more positive depending on the location of the seat, slight positioning of the dummy, or normal test tolerances. It is important to note that BMW does computer simulations as well as multiple physical crash tests to ensure each vehicle model achieves the highest levels of crash safety.

The IIHS test was a single, standardized test, subject to tolerances, and is not a pass-fail test for vehicle safety on the road. In other words, it was one test on one day on one car in one laboratory. A slight variation in seating position would have produced a different and better result.

As the only one vehicle manufacturer that has the autonomy to pursue innovative ideas, safety, performance and agility are the number one priorities for BMW and the carmaker is always looking to the newest technology to offer to its customers. We initiated an Accident Research Project. The goal is to determine the cause of injuries in real-world crashes beyond the crash testing. Their findings will be used to develop new safety features in the design of all future BMW vehicles. BMW has been conducting research in Germany for more than 30 years.

In the US, BMW has been taking a multi-disciplinary approach pairing BMW’s engineering prowess with the medical trauma expertise of the University of Miami/Jackson Ryder Trauma Center. BMW and the Trauma Center will dispatch a team to inspect damaged vehicles after an accident and then through an accident reconstruction and a bio-mechanic evaluation of the injuries, the real-world performance of the vehicle will be discussed. The results are constantly fed to various development departments for further enhancements in BMW design and safety aspects.

Fact is more powerful than anything else. We are confident that, on-the-road in the real world, BMW vehicles are among the safest. This conclusion is supported by real-world crash data not only in the US, but worldwide. If you would like to get further information regarding BMW or need our assistance, please feel free to call us at (800) 831-1117, visit http://www.bmwusa.com or email us at CustomerRelations@bmwusa.com.

With all the fricken drivers these days and their cell phones strapped to their ear (get a damn BT at least) Just my opinion.[/QUOTE]

I agree but unfortunately no everyone's cell phone has BT.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:44 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
P2 mit CD?

[<<Hmm why did you need to pay extra for a cd player with the P2 package? The P2 package has the multimedia package right? So that already includes the cd player.>>

Wrong. P2 and MM are separate options. MM, not P2, does include a single slot 6 disc CD changer and well it should for $2950.

P2 is a paltry $2750. Gasp!
Old 09-24-2007, 12:23 AM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

5 series crash performance

I had to read this tome from BMW public relations several times and I would say if this is the best answer BMW can come up with, they may need some new excuse composers.

<<I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. We really appreciate that so many of you care about BMW. We would like to answer your questions on “Is the BMW 5 Series safe, and why were the 5 Series results “Marginal” in the IIHS test?”>>

Since its launch in 2004, the 5 Series has performed exceptionally well in safety tests. BMW prides itself on benchmark levels of active safety (crash avoidance) with numerous standard features working to help customers avoid accidents – by far the best way to survive an accident is to avoid it in the first place.>>

This idea is hardly new since those of us with smaller cars having been saying this for decades. "Get out of the way."

<<In fact, the 2008 5 Series is the first vehicle in the world available with optional Lane Departure Warning designed to provide a subtle physical steering wheel feedback to alert drivers when leaving a lane without signaling. This system, coupled with standard Enhanced DSC, available Head Up Display and ACC Stop and Go with radar braking, ensures that the 5 Series has state-of-the-art crash avoidance technology.>>

Now he is injecting the Fog Factor, attempting to confuse and distract with non-relevant discussion. What does this have to do with side-impact collisions?

<<This does not mean, however, that BMW neglects Passive Safety. The 5 Series has an exceptionally strong and rigid body structure and a full compliment of airbags designed to protect all occupants in the event of a front, side, or rear crash, or even in the event of a complete roll-over. Side impact bars and a strong passenger cell also work to reduce vehicle intrusion in the event of a side crash. In addition, should a crash occur, intelligent engineering ensures that as much impact force as possible is channeled throughout the body structure and away from occupants.>>

Precisely what MB says, and surely many others.

<<In the case of the 5 Series crash test, the IIHS “Marginal” result was due to one specific area of contact that the dummy recorded at the IIHS defined seat position; the car that was tested missed a better result by a fractional amount. It is our opinion that the results of the IIHS crash test could have been much more positive depending on the location of the seat, slight positioning of the dummy, or normal test tolerances.>>

So then, unless I am sitting in just the right place with the seat just so, I can kiss my a** goodbye?

<<It is important to note that BMW does computer simulations as well as multiple physical crash tests to ensure each vehicle model achieves the highest levels of crash safety.>>

Blah blah blah, just like all the others. More smoke.

<<The IIHS test was a single, standardized test, subject to tolerances, and is not a pass-fail test for vehicle safety on the road. In other words, it was one test on one day on one car in one laboratory. A slight variation in seating position would have produced a different and better result.>>

Said before and the same answer applies. If I'm an inch off, one way or another, all bets are off?

<<As the only one vehicle manufacturer that has the autonomy to pursue innovative ideas, safety, performance and agility are the number one priorities for BMW and the carmaker is always looking to the newest technology to offer to its customers.>>

The ONLY manufacturer? What about Porsche, as one glowing example? And what does he mean, "one vehicle"? Looks to me like BMWs all the way from the new one series to the X-5 and the God-awful 7 are very different from each other requiring different structural approaches to crushability.

<<We initiated an Accident Research Project. The goal is to determine the cause of injuries in real-world crashes beyond the crash testing. Their findings will be used to develop new safety features in the design of all future BMW vehicles. BMW has been conducting research in Germany for more than 30 years.>>

Late to the party, I would say. Mercedes in Germany has had a Go-Team for years that investigates MB-involved accidents on-site before the wreckage is cleared away in cooperation with the German police.

<<In the US, BMW has been taking a multi-disciplinary approach pairing BMW’s engineering prowess with the medical trauma expertise of the University of Miami/Jackson Ryder Trauma Center. BMW and the Trauma Center will dispatch a team to inspect damaged vehicles after an accident and then through an accident reconstruction and a bio-mechanic evaluation of the injuries, the real-world performance of the vehicle will be discussed.>>

If I were involved, I would hope that I would be headed for the nearest Trauma Center long before the BMW guys showed up in their white lab coats and clipboards.

BMW NA Customer Relations

I've seen a lot of these manufacturer's responses to less-than-great test results by various entities and they have a common thread. Dazzle them with BS and say nothing substantive. This is a shining example of that approach.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:44 AM

Nissan
2008 C300 Lux 4Matic

2008 C300 Lux, 4Matic, Premium 1, Palladium Silver, Multimedia Package = $39,000. ($1,500 under MSRP)
Old 09-24-2007, 09:04 AM

C300 4Matic P1 18" rims
I ordered a C350 P2 MM with 18 inch AMGs, Steel Silver.
MSRP $43.285.00 got $1500.00 off sticker.
Old 09-24-2007, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by atiqa
Thanks!
& I'm not leasing, I'm buying. Sorry I can't help with that one, I'm oblivious to all that stuff.
That's probably a good thing, these new C-Class are leasing like s***!
Old 09-24-2007, 09:29 PM

08' MB C350 / 03' Lincoln Aviator
C350 Sport
Black on Black
P2 Pkg (Bi-Xenons)
MM Pkg (Navigation)

MSRP = $41,575
Paid = $40,219 ($1,356 below MSRP - No Haggling)
[not including tax & licensing fees]
Just got back from the dealership and added the Panorama Sunroof for another $930, you would figure they already got us as a customer that they could knock off a bit more than $70 from the MSRP price. One great perk I did find out about our dealership is complimentary free car washes Mon-Sat 9am-2pm, great bonus considering that we ordered the C350 in Black.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
Just got back from the dealership and added the Panorama Sunroof for another $930, you would figure they already got us as a customer that they could knock off a bit more than $70 from the MSRP price. One great perk I did find out about our dealership is complimentary free car washes Mon-Sat 9am-2pm, great bonus considering that we ordered the C350 in Black.
I'd be careful about that free carwash from the dealer. Probably an automatic car wash that might be good to put some swirl marks in your black paint.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C350
Originally Posted by pmb600
I'd be careful about that free carwash from the dealer. Probably an automatic car wash that might be good to put some swirl marks in your black paint.
That may be true...my dealership actually gave me a tour of everything, including the car wash (not automatic). I'd say it is a safe question to ask, but for me I know it'll be hand washed.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:30 AM

08' MB C350 / 03' Lincoln Aviator
Our salesman walked me through the inventory (not many W204s) in the back to demo the Pano Roof so we can make a final decision on the option. He then mentioned the car washing perk as we walked pass the detailing area, a car just left the hand washing area (suds still all over it) and was being driven through a rinsing booth which looked like a mechanical car washing stall but this contraption did not spin as fast as the typical Chevron washing stalls. I questioned the possibility of scratches or swirl marks and his reply was "do you think we'd put our $100k vehicles through there if we thought it could cause scratches?). I was welcomed to have a good inspection of all the cars because they all went through the same process due to the recent rains. I'll probably ask for another tour just to watch a few cars go through the entire wash process, so far the detailing and service areas look top notch.

Last edited by maytag; 09-25-2007 at 10:32 AM.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C350
That's a good point. Most MB dealerships wash every car that comes in for service. It doesn't make sense that they would put a $130,000 S into something that could damage it in any way.

So, I'd say you're safe with the dealer car washes unless your dealer is smaller; or if you think they hand wash the S's but take the C's down the road to the gas station car wash...
Old 09-25-2007, 10:52 AM

c300
I saw an SLR go through the touch car wash at our dealer. We've taken my wife's car (very light color) through there 2 times and it's got swirling from it.

Nothing that won't polish out, but it's there.

To a dealer, a car is just a commoditity. Doesn't matter if it's worth 20k or 120k. They could care less about the condition of the paint, as long as they can offer up the washes as a perk over their competition.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by oblu
I saw an SLR go through the touch car wash at our dealer. We've taken my wife's car (very light color) through there 2 times and it's got swirling from it.

Nothing that won't polish out, but it's there.

To a dealer, a car is just a commoditity. Doesn't matter if it's worth 20k or 120k. They could care less about the condition of the paint, as long as they can offer up the washes as a perk over their competition.
Very good points. Also the dealer knows better than anyone that the majority of people lease their cars, so they really don't care that much since they turn it in after 2-3 years.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:33 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wash my car again? Not bloody likely.

<<That's a good point. Most MB dealerships wash every car that comes in for service. It doesn't make sense that they would put a $130,000 S into something that could damage it in any way. So, I'd say you're safe with the dealer car washes unless your dealer is smaller; >>

Ohhh, boy.

Like a fool, I asked for a "courtesy wash" at my dealer (they are BIG) six months ago (first and last ever) and it was a huge mistake. I had the same idea, what could happen, after all? It wasn't the car wash itself, but the trained apes running the thing. I watched through an elevated window as my Obsidian Black C320 progressed toward the washer and watched as one of "them" picked up a long handled brush used for wheels and scrubbed across the roof and them across the tail end before it went into the washer. It was blown semi-dry and it wasn't until I got it home into the garage that I saw the scratches (not just swirls) all over the top and the back end.

Pause for top to blow off.

After that fateful day, I have spent perhaps twenty hours with my random-orbital buffer removing about 95% of the damage. I did have a word with the service manager later.

I will be going back to NO WASH at all future service visits.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:15 AM

2008 C-350 Palladium Silver and MM.
Post I just ordered my New C350

I ordered it with the multi media package and the metalic paint, palladium silver to be exact. I also ordered the grey black due to the high sun where I live. I think that I got a great deal by approching many dealers in the area. My MSRP comes to $41,710 with destination charge. I offered $39,350, and I did get 1 dealer to take it. I figured it was worth a 2 hour drive to save $2360. My local dealer wanted $1,000 to order and then they wanted full sticker. The other guy only asked for $500.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:09 PM

E350 2880 Model
Smile I think I got a good deal

I got a 2008 Brand New E350 with the following:
1.) PII package
2.) Sports Option
3.) Designer Burl Walnut
4.) Side Shades
5.) IPOD Integration
6.) Metallic Paint Option
7.) Wood Leather Steering

MSRP = $58,900
Invoice = $54000

Paid = $53,00

I got it in Northern CA.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C350
Originally Posted by esb016
I got a 2008 Brand New E350 with the following:
1.) PII package
2.) Sports Option
3.) Designer Burl Walnut
4.) Side Shades
5.) IPOD Integration
6.) Metallic Paint Option
7.) Wood Leather Steering

MSRP = $58,900
Invoice = $54000

Paid = $53,00

I got it in Northern CA.
I think you need to post that on the W211 board...this for for W204's...

Very nice deal though
Old 09-27-2007, 07:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
c300 sport
You have to be pimpin to get 48,700 off the price of a car. teach me your ways
Old 09-27-2007, 11:54 PM

2008 C300 Sport
stop talking car-wash, start talking prices

Tell us what you paid for your new W204 - the insight into the dealership car-wash was nice, but slightly off topic.

I just offered, through the internet, the following:

C300 Sport with

Metallic Paint
Multimedia Package
18" AMG Wheels

MSRP: $36,635

I offered 3% over invoice - $34,406 and it was accepted.

FINAL OTD PRICE, including TTL - $38,514

I haven't actually placed the order, still going to shop it a little more...
Old 09-28-2007, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by mb_horseshoe
Tell us what you paid for your new W204 - the insight into the dealership car-wash was nice, but slightly off topic.

I just offered, through the internet, the following:

C300 Sport with

Metallic Paint
Multimedia Package
18" AMG Wheels

MSRP: $36,635

I offered 3% over invoice - $34,406 and it was accepted.

FINAL OTD PRICE, including TTL - $38,514

I haven't actually placed the order, still going to shop it a little more...
What is it with the newbie's today?? There was another one in the MB Tex vs. Leather forum that had the nerve to get some attitude. Calm down mb horseshoe...sometimes things don't stay exactly on the subject of the thread, that is ok.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:27 PM

2002 Subaru WRX Wagon, 2008 Subaru Outback Wagon, 1958 MGA Roadster
Speaking of newbies! (first post)

C300 Sport w/4-Matic
Steel Gray Metallic
Gray/Black MB Tex interior
P2 package
C350 rear spoiler (we were ordering, so added spoiler at $394. Dealer found car in transit, and will add spoiler painted in house, so it should have cost ~$800)
Winter Floor Mats (no charge)
Cargo Area Tray (no charge)
M-B coffee mug (yes, they actually put it on the invoice at no charge. )

Build your own cost: $39,329
We paid: $38,675
Savings: $654 (1.66%)

Last edited by Smorris; 10-01-2007 at 12:22 PM.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by CarGuru
Some of you are hilarious with your searching & e-mailing all over the place…waiting months on end etc... Driving 200, 300…..800 miles to save $300.00 insane…. It was worth the $300 I didn’t save to be the first in town with a new W204…. Hell I think I spill $300.00 a day Lol I know I don’t have the time to dicker over the price for an Automobile I’m going to **cough** write-off next year anyway. Also what gets me weaker is some of you, I’m not pointing any fingers… but some of you that weasel the dealer down to his last pair of sox on the price are the ones so… worried about the resale value on these cars. Why don’t you think about it for a second, some of you characters are the very ones that sap any resale that could have been had right out of the cars.

In short I used to support my family on a “car salesman’s” wage, when a car salesman does his job well.. I.e. Locating, Demo, working with and around your tight-wad @&& for weeks on end, coming in on days off when one could be with his/ her family etc.. and if that car is delivered without a scratch and is thoroughly gone over and explained. They deserve a commission, as that’s all they will make. If you’ve never done the job you have no clue of what the “military-esq” environment is like.

-Ryan
Wow...you act like you were forced to be a car salesman. How about go get another job.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:46 PM

SL550, E550 4-Matic, X5, and others...
Originally Posted by CarGuru
Some of you are hilarious with your searching & e-mailing all over the place…waiting months on end etc... Driving 200, 300…..800 miles to save $300.00 insane…. It was worth the $300 I didn’t save to be the first in town with a new W204…. Hell I think I spill $300.00 a day Lol I know I don’t have the time to dicker over the price for an Automobile I’m going to **cough** write-off next year anyway. Also what gets me weaker is some of you, I’m not pointing any fingers… but some of you that weasel the dealer down to his last pair of sox on the price are the ones so… worried about the resale value on these cars. Why don’t you think about it for a second, some of you characters are the very ones that sap any resale that could have been had right out of the cars.

In short I used to support my family on a “car salesman’s” wage, when a car salesman does his job well.. I.e. Locating, Demo, working with and around your tight-wad @&& for weeks on end, coming in on days off when one could be with his/ her family etc.. and if that car is delivered without a scratch and is thoroughly gone over and explained. They deserve a commission, as that’s all they will make. If you’ve never done the job you have no clue of what the “military-esq” environment is like.

-Ryan
If you hate the job so much, why don't you get another one?

I don't want to work with a salesman who has such a negative view of his customers. I guess some of YOUR kind made the profession less-than-noble for the consumers. Next time, don't be so quick to point the finger. You don't like dealing with the customer...trust me, dealing with the salesman at my local dealership isn't my ideal way of spending a Saturday. Moreover, if $300 is not a big deal, why don't you just deduct $300 from the price of the car when you sell it to the customer? Ah, it's all perspective.

-Mike
Old 10-01-2007, 02:27 PM

c300
Some of you are hilarious with your searching & e-mailing all over the place…waiting months on end etc... Driving 200, 300…..800 miles to save $300.00 insane…
Somewhat agree, and somewhat disagree. Bottom line is, you either will or you won't. As a sales person you can't get "beat up" by a customer over a few hundred dollars unless you're willing or desperate. Just tell the customer it isn't going to happen and politely move them toward the door.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:02 PM

2008 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by pmb600
What is it with the newbie's today?? There was another one in the MB Tex vs. Leather forum that had the nerve to get some attitude. Calm down mb horseshoe...sometimes things don't stay exactly on the subject of the thread, that is ok.
What's with the veterans flexing their muscle on newbies? I simply asked for the thread to stay on-topic, there was no "attitude" as you suggested. I also had a post that was on-topic with information that I was hoping would help others, as is the point of these forums, unlike your worthless post that simply fosters negativity and confrontation.

What difference does it make if it comes from a newbie or a "supermember"? posts that ask for threads to stay on-topic are common, especially from moderators.

Your humble newbie,

horseshoe

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: W204 Owners - Post how much you paid for it