C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

C300 Sport w/ 6 speed manual - your thoughts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 Sport w/ 6 speed manual - your thoughts

Long post, bug hang in there with me...

Now that my E350 lease is up, and given the fact that I should lower my costs a bit, I'm thinking about a C300 sport.

Now, I've owned and driven plenty BMW's before, and it's been about 7 years since I've driven a stick. And here's what I'm getting at:

If you own a C300 sport with a stick, how do you like it? Is the clutch easy to live with? Is the car really that competitive to the 3-series BMW? Are you enjoying the gearbox or do you have second thoughts about getting the automatic instead?

The reason I ask is because I am on the fence between the C300 sport and the 328i. The only BIG DEAL now is price. I have spec'd out a C300 sport with a manual (plus a few other options) and it is about $2k less expensive than the BMW. The main reason is because leather comes with the premium package in the BMW and I'm not ordering leather in the C300.

So help me out here. Is the C300 manual as fun and sporty enough to ignore the more expensive bimmer?

Two years from now, do you think anyone will be interested in a 6 speed manual Mercedes C-class? Down the road, the only reason why anyone would want a used C300 with a manual is because it really is as fun and better built than a BMW.

Keep in mind that in 2 years, the Merc will have a better resale value than the BMW. So while the C300 is $2k less expensive now, that BMW will no-doubt be more than $2k cheaper two years from now.... so will that make the C300 manual - on the resale - less desireable than the BMW at that point?

If the C-class is going to try and be a 3-series, I'd like to opt for the manual. As little as I've heard about the Merc C-class manual, I can't even test one out... no dealer near me has one.

So should I go for the manual?

Decisions, decisions.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:30 AM

01 S4 6spd-Eurotuner mar.05, 08 c300 6spd, P1-MM- 18`s, 2010 Cayenne GTS 6spd, 98 5.9 Jeep
I have the 6-speed and love it....

the C300 is not the fastest car on the block... But the 6speed definatly makes it more fun to drive and its a great setup...
Old 12-31-2007, 09:47 AM

Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm covered in the fast department... with my '07 SLK55 AMG. I just don't like racking up the miles just for a lousy commute.

I've noticed in the photo gallery that some people who've taken photos of their new C also have SL's and SLK's, so I'm heading in the right direction.

Also, the Merc dealer has a '04 545i with a manual... and I read on another forum that a current 545i owner is also leaning toward the C-class.

That's just comical how Mercedes knows how this car will appeal to their current customers, and to the competitor brand loyalists. Anyone who owns a current 5-series BMW has got to be a die-hard bimmerphile. It's just too ugly for me to consider, but the 545i manual was a hoot.

I'm hoping that the C300 manual is enough "fun" to keep me at bay from the SLK55 until the sunny weekends appear.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by 01S408C300
the C300 is not the fastest car on the block... But the 6speed definatly makes it more fun to drive and its a great setup...
Out of curiosity, did you opt for the 18" AMG wheels because of the appearance, or do you really get better performance from them? I read a Car and Driver review of the C300 and they didn't care for the standard 17" wheels and tires because there wasn't enough grip.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:22 AM

01 S4 6spd-Eurotuner mar.05, 08 c300 6spd, P1-MM- 18`s, 2010 Cayenne GTS 6spd, 98 5.9 Jeep
More for style, im covered in the fast as well i have an 01 S4 with 450 under the hood....
Old 12-31-2007, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by 01S408C300
More for style, im covered in the fast as well i have an 01 S4 with 450 under the hood....
That's fantastic! My neighbor has one as well. He modified the engine and brakes and it is a screamer. He spent nearly $10k and the performance improvement is substantial.

So it appears that the C300 sport manual is a decent everyday car that isn't going to be too boring or clumsy.

Thanks for the input!
Old 12-31-2007, 01:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 C 300 Sport, '01 SL 500 & '08 Nissan Frontier SE Crew Cab 4WD
Originally Posted by in2dwww
Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm covered in the fast department... with my '07 SLK55 AMG. I just don't like racking up the miles just for a lousy commute.

I've noticed in the photo gallery that some people who've taken photos of their new C also have SL's and SLK's, so I'm heading in the right direction.

Also, the Merc dealer has a '04 545i with a manual... and I read on another forum that a current 545i owner is also leaning toward the C-class.

That's just comical how Mercedes knows how this car will appeal to their current customers, and to the competitor brand loyalists. Anyone who owns a current 5-series BMW has got to be a die-hard bimmerphile. It's just too ugly for me to consider, but the 545i manual was a hoot.

I'm hoping that the C300 manual is enough "fun" to keep me at bay from the SLK55 until the sunny weekends appear.
I have too great sport cars, one ridiculously fast, one a fun top down nostalgic cruiser. As a fellow "Driver" & "Enthusiast" I find enough pleasure behind the wheel of the C300 sport (automatic) It's namely my wifes ride, but it's not boring or even nearly as slow as people claim it is. My only real complaint is that the seats are very firm and start to fatigue my back after more than two hours behind the wheel. Coming from an E-Class you will find the greatest deficiency the seats. But take my opinion about the seats as serious as those comments about how slow a C300 is

-Ryan
Old 12-31-2007, 02:03 PM

'
I recently purchased a C300 manual. I have to say, this is by far the easiest clutch I have ever used. My roomates have a G35 (stick), G37 (stick), and a Porsche Turbo (stick) and I take their cars when im blocked in and I can say you will love the stick in the C300. Coming from a CLK 430 and a bike, I'm have to say this is a very slow car and if it didn't come in a stick, I wouldn't have purchased it.

As for the 328, never drove it so no clue how it compares but I imagine the drive of that car would be more sporty but seeing how you have the SLK55, who cares.

As for resale value, goodluck... It's a mercedes so how many people would want a stick. That's why I leased mine.

Last edited by mbenz06; 12-31-2007 at 02:06 PM.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:33 PM

c300
Two years from now, do you think anyone will be interested in a 6 speed manual Mercedes C-class?
Doubt it. I don't see much demand for a C300 manual now let alone in 2yrs. Sure there's a vocal few, but if you looked at raw #'s I'd bet they sell 1000/1.

In my area, the BMW 3 series has a gigantically higher resale value than C class.

My opinion is that if you just want a fun manual car with great handling, get the 3 series. If you need something for every day that's sporty-ish and comfortable get the C. I came from an e90 6spd manual and opted for the C300 7spd auto. I love this transmission. It could kick down a little quicker, but other than that it doesn't have me missing the manual. The e90 clutch isn't bad, but it's a little bit tricky to be smooth when driving slow.

I am already doing my usual though. I get a BMW because I long for something fun. Then I get and realize I'm sitting in traffic 98% of the time, uncomfortable and unable to have any 'fun' while driving. So I get something else that's more comfortable. Then I start to long for something fun again.

I'm only 3mo into a 36mo lease and I'm already wondering if my son's car seat is going to fit in the back of a 135i.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by oblu
Doubt it. I don't see much demand for a C300 manual now let alone in 2yrs. Sure there's a vocal few, but if you looked at raw #'s I'd bet they sell 1000/1.

In my area, the BMW 3 series has a gigantically higher resale value than C class.

My opinion is that if you just want a fun manual car with great handling, get the 3 series. If you need something for every day that's sporty-ish and comfortable get the C. I came from an e90 6spd manual and opted for the C300 7spd auto. I love this transmission. It could kick down a little quicker, but other than that it doesn't have me missing the manual. The e90 clutch isn't bad, but it's a little bit tricky to be smooth when driving slow.

I am already doing my usual though. I get a BMW because I long for something fun. Then I get and realize I'm sitting in traffic 98% of the time, uncomfortable and unable to have any 'fun' while driving. So I get something else that's more comfortable. Then I start to long for something fun again.

I'm only 3mo into a 36mo lease and I'm already wondering if my son's car seat is going to fit in the back of a 135i.
That kinda hits upon my point...

The only reason why I would get a 3 series with an automatic is so that a girlfriend can drive it... and there's no chance in hell that's going to happen!

If the C class is so much more like the 3 series than ever before, then there should be no doubt that the 6-speed manual is the way to go.

So the C-class with a manual should be like peanut butter and jelly.

When you compare the features of 328i and the C300, I'd rather have the Merc's COMAND multimedia option over the BMW iDrive. Also, with bluetooth and linguatronic, you can talk on the phone and shift gears at the same time! Not that I'm a fan of cell phone use in the car.

I'd also bet that the C-class is safer.

Performance wise, I'm not expecting much. The C300, after-all is a loaner car... I already had one as a loaner back on October.

I just want some fun during my commute. I'm still 50/50 on the fence here!

Gotta go celebrate the end of 2007. See y'all on the flip-side!

Cheers!
Old 01-01-2008, 12:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 998 Likes on 730 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
I had a 190E 2.6 5 spd manual. Assume that you will have difficulty on the resale.
Old 01-01-2008, 12:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 Arctic White C300 Sport 6M
6-speed for the win, IMHO.

I too considered the 328/335 before settling on the C. If you are looking for pure performance and power, C cannot hang. Especially in C300 trim. The handling characteristics, however, is almost there as far as I can tell. Having the manual tranny will help in both regards, though.

I'm all about the 'go', and never the 'show', but... the C has a much more distinctive style (Pano Roof! ) The new 3 is good-looking, but a little bland compared to the C.

The gearbox is pretty good and aggressively geared. You'll experience decent engine braking in lower gears as you let off the gas, and the engine encourages you to rev harder. And it may not have the superb road feel of the 3-series, but it's quite an entertaining drive nonetheless. A few canyon roads and the pano roof made me forget the BMW.

Be a man. Do the right thing. 08 C300 manual transmission for the win.

Boooooo Bimmer~! (I never thought I'd say that... I've been a die hard Bimmerphile all my life. I never would've imagined that I'd be owning an M-B. This car brought me to the dark side. Like oblu up there, I'm probably gonna get the 135 after I tire of this car though...)

Last edited by narky; 01-01-2008 at 12:53 AM.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by narky
6-speed for the win, IMHO.

...The gearbox is pretty good and aggressively geared. You'll experience decent engine braking in lower gears as you let off the gas, and the engine encourages you to rev harder. And it may not have the superb road feel of the 3-series, but it's quite an entertaining drive nonetheless. A few canyon roads and the pano roof made me forget the BMW....
That's good to hear! I grew up and learned to drive in the Santa Monica Mountains, so I like to think that I can carve up a canyon like nobody's business. But now, I'm an hour or so away from the Blue Ridge Parkway. There's nothing like Tuna Canyon or Decker Rd out here, but I do have "Devil's Gap." All I need is a local version of the Rock Store and I'd be right at home.

Blue Ridge Parkway is not about the speed, but cruising. The SLK55, top down, some impressive tight twists to power out of... then some trees to avoid... that's fun. The panorama roof, as you mentioned, is something that I do want, and you're right, it's not an option on the Bimmer.

Because there isn't a c300 manual within 500 miles from here, I'm going to need to make a decision based on no knowledge whatsoever.

Your post was very helpful. Thank you!

Now if only I can decide on a color for the C300. I want the grey interior, but for the exterior... White, Iridium Silver, or Palladium Silver?
Old 01-01-2008, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mbenz06
I recently purchased a C300 manual. I have to say, this is by far the easiest clutch I have ever used. My roomates have a G35 (stick), G37 (stick), and a Porsche Turbo (stick) and I take their cars when im blocked in and I can say you will love the stick in the C300. Coming from a CLK 430 and a bike, I'm have to say this is a very slow car and if it didn't come in a stick, I wouldn't have purchased it.

As for the 328, never drove it so no clue how it compares but I imagine the drive of that car would be more sporty but seeing how you have the SLK55, who cares.

As for resale value, goodluck... It's a mercedes so how many people would want a stick. That's why I leased mine.
I'd pay attention to this one. Sounds good.

There isn't much demand for a used manual, but there isn't much supply, either. The used car market is increasingly a national one, because of the Internet. This is especially the case with hard-to-find cars. If this trend continues, in two years' time it'll probably be easier than it is today to sell the manual.

The largest impediment: like yourself, most people are hesitant to buy a car they can't drive first.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 Arctic White C300 Sport 6M
If you must choose among the three you mentioned, I say Palladium or Arctic White. I hate all things silver ( even jewelry -- get platinum or white gold, if you think yellow gold is cheesy, as I do, but never silver), but that's just a personal preference. Palladium is darker and actually looks nice.

I'm gonna push for Arctic White, but only because that's my favorite.

Last edited by narky; 01-02-2008 at 01:26 AM.
Old 01-07-2008, 05:57 PM

C300 sport 6spd w/Navi
I bought a C300 6spd for my wife and her and I love it. My weekend warrior is a highly moded ZO6 so I was not too worried about speed although honestly the C300 is no slouch. Its quick enough for daily commuting and the ride and handling is top notch. The AMG 18 rims handle the road very well although the tires are the first thing I would modify to the car. I am not to convinced about the Continentals it comes with. Anyway, the tranny shifts very smoothly and the clutch is very light with a good feel to it. The shifter knob could be a little heavier but the throws are somewhat short and positive. Mine has the Navi with the P1 and iPod integration and I would not live without these options. I just love the looks of the new C. I see tons of new 3 series on the road every day and its boring boring boring. Honestly they look to me like a bar of soap. I like the looks of the E46 much better. They have really dulled the car up except for when you get into the 335i territory but its much more $$$. Heal toe rev matching is effortless and brakes are very good. The car is still breaking in, so the breaks are not at their strongest point yet but they are getting better. I personally would not have the car any other way. I hope this helps.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:34 PM
Almost a Member!

Toyota and planning to get a Sport C300, White, Manual, 18" AMG rims, MM, HK Sound.
Originally Posted by in2dwww
Two years from now, do you think anyone will be interested in a 6 speed manual Mercedes C-class?
Logically, if YOU were interested in a Merc in manual, there is no reason not to find a potential buyer in the future. It's not a trend that will fade out; people who like sporty cars will go for a manual transmission. It's a luxury more sporty car designed to attract a younger crowd.
I don't have any statistics, but I'm pretty sure that manual transmission sales increased for MB with the introduction of the new C-Class.

BTW, I'm going for a manual transmission
Old 01-08-2008, 02:35 AM
Almost a Member!

2008 C300 Sport Sedan Manual, Uridium Silver, 18" AMG's
Thumbs up

I was in your same exact position. The C300 Manual was going to cost about $30 cheaper per month on my lease so I used that as negotiating power.

Coming out of the 2004 C230 w/ the 6 speed, the new C300 6speed is much smoother and tighter in shifting. Shifts like a Swiss Watch!

The BMW 3 is more driver focused. The Benz is smoother riding, quiter and leans a little mre torwards comfort than the 3.

However, w/ the 18's, the car seems to handle about the same as the 3.

The C is roomier and if you can swing it, include the MM pkg and you'll be getting newer technology to boot!
Old 01-08-2008, 10:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 E350 Coupe Steel Gray
OK, I'll add my $.02

As you can tell by my username, I have the manual. I really enjoy driving it and so does my hubby. It really is a personal choice. I realize that it may not be the best for trade in, but I determined that I'm tired of spending my money not on what *I* want but what someone else may want later. That said, go with the manual!
Old 01-08-2008, 11:00 AM

Dont think I would like this car nearly as much in auto....
Old 01-08-2008, 03:33 PM
Almost a Member!

One more point on this from me. Yes, I wanted the extra sportiness of the 3 but really prefered the C300 but only w/ the manual becuase it really is in my opinion a much different and sportier experience over the C300 auto and a much "closer" experience to the more driver focused BMW 3.

However, you do have to know going in that the manual C300 will be more difficult to sell down the road and that it will more than likely fetch a little less than the auto. When I talked to one dealer about selling my 04 just before turn in, he told me he could give me about $1,500 less than if it were an auto.

What is $1,500 less over a period of 5 -8 years when it comes to getting what you want?

If you are really concerned with not loosing the least amount of money at resale on a car, go buy a new Toyota Camry or Honda Civic w/. Those are the cars used car buyers flock to. You'll get a very good quality, highly reliable car but you won't get the prestige,excitment of true German Engineering, free MB loaner at service, etc.

My point is weigh what you are paying out for what you are getting back then go for what you really want!!

Yes, selling a pre-owned manual C300 will be doable, it's just that you'll be looking for a much more limited buyer for that car and you'll have to work hard to get it done.

If you are not planning to keep your car for 5+ years, unless you are buying it new for cash and unless you drive more than 15-20k miles per year, you should probably be leasing it. That way you can't loose. You just have to turn it in!

I love my new C300 Manual!!
Old 01-11-2008, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
I love the manual. The clutch is soooo easy and the hill assist is great. I am not so sure about the short throw claim though. The gearing is great too. The car doesn't seem to bog at all when the revs are too low. I considered offerings from BMW too. This may be superficial, but to me, they are just boring to look at. When I test drove the 328, I had no emotional reaction. The C 300 is just plain fun. After he went for a ride in mine, My friend, a 335i coupe owner, said if the new C would have been available when he was shopping, he would have chosen it over his car.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:47 PM
Almost a Member!

Yes, good point on the hill asssit. It is a very cool feature!

Wow! That is quite a claim, that your friend would trade in his 335i coupe for one. Does he have the current model?

I think that one is incredibly attractive (especially compared to the 3 sedan) but also much more powerful than the C300.

Noticed you also have a Volvo 850. I have driven those. They were very good, sporty sedans.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
it's all depending how much traffic you get in to
Old 01-12-2008, 07:37 PM
Almost a Member!

That's a personal opinion regarding the traffic.

As Derspeed stated, the clutch in the C300 is very easy and the gearbox is smooth.

I live in S. California, the most congested city in the world.

I would take the stick in the C300 over the auto in the BMW 3 w/ sport package.

The Benz is so smooth, quiet and comfortable while remaining tight and nimble.

It's not like driving a Ferrari with a massive clutch and shift gates that's going to beat you up in heavy traffic.

To each his own but I'm pushing 50 and would not trade my stick for an auto!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C300 Sport w/ 6 speed manual - your thoughts