C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Used your C300 4-Matic in Snow/Ice yet..?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 E500 4matic, 08 ML320CDI
Used your C300 4-Matic in Snow/Ice yet..?

Just curious, anyone want to report on how their C300 4-Matic has handled serious snow/ice yet..? My wife's Lease on her R350 is up in Sept. and we're looking at replacements including the C300, ML's, or another R class... We live in Colorado and drive mountain passes and snow/ice packed roads everyday all winter long so need a capable AWD beyond the typical grocery-getter...
Old 01-10-2008, 04:30 PM

C3004Matic Sport, Blk on Blk, Pano, P1, MMC, Ipod
Yes, and okay.

Originally Posted by sdunham
Just curious, anyone want to report on how their C300 4-Matic has handled serious snow/ice yet..? My wife's Lease on her R350 is up in Sept. and we're looking at replacements including the C300, ML's, or another R class... We live in Colorado and drive mountain passes and snow/ice packed roads everyday all winter long so need a capable AWD beyond the typical grocery-getter...

Drove it in light snow/slush in Jersey. Competent. Dunno how it drives in real snow yet, and am not familiar enough to compare it to the Audi/Subie/BMW awd systems.

You want an AWD beyond the typical grocery-getter? Does that mean performance or style? If performance, get the Scoobie. The Subaru Legacy GT Spec.B. (not just the legacy, not just the legacy gt, but the legacy gt spec.b) Fast as snot and an all around performance monster (sub-6 second 0-60 times, etc.). Think of it as a grown-up WRX, but in suburban sedan form. Tour the legacy forum website for more info like that is has the engine and 6 speed manual from the WRX STi!!!. Too bad the Scoobie is kind of pedestrian in looks and bland interior. But, you'll get memory seats and leather! If you want looks, then the merc is for you. But, as we're finding out, she's slow like a beached whale. Okay, she's not that slow, but she's not a performance beast or even a performance contender in c300 4 matic form. Its merely competent in speed. Of course, the BMW 335xi may offer both, if you don't think its ugly, but then you also will have to pay $50K. And most think it is ugly in 4 door guise, and uglier at $50K. Perhaps the best blend is the Audi a4, but this is the last year for that model so better to wait for the next year version. Plus, all the fun on the a4 is in the 2.0t engine, which can be easily modded to be fast and to challenge the Scoobie, but then you've got to mod it (some like to, some don't, either way you risk voiding the warranty).

There is the Volvo, but I don't want to discuss what that says about a person. Next, SAAB will be releasing their awd this January (or so they say). It is made by Haldex. And is supposed to be top-notch, one of the best out there. I think this may be Haldex's first passenger car awd application, but they have much experience in truck and other vehicle awd systems. Anyway, the saab will offer the twin turbo v6 in xwd (what they call AWD) form, but a bit pricey for the saab.

otherwise, for true *****-on speed and awd, why not the Mitsu EvoX or the Scoobie WRX STi? Sure, a little bit boy racers, but so what when it has the skills to toast just about anything out there, including most porsches, corvettes, mustangs, amg's, etc. and still dance on snow as if they were plar bears with snow-shoes.

Just some thoughts.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:27 PM

C300 4Matic
I had little experience with the c300 4MATIC in the snow this past month in Vancouver. So far, the car handled better than the Acura MDX that we also have. The traction control would kick in right when you lose traction and correct you to prevent any further wheel spin. The car however still does slide in the snow if not driven carefully and a heavy right foot. One issue you might need to be concerned about is the low ground clearance that the C300 has (4.2' If i recall correctly) since it's easier to scrape the front end.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
'13 C300 '14 E63S '08 E92 M3
drove it in the snow in Canada,
and it ****ing performs well :P

Ive never been in a car that handles so well
that doesnt cost a fortune
Old 01-10-2008, 08:48 PM

2008 C300 Sport 4Matic
the Audi quattro handles better in my opinion...with that said, my snow driving experience was fairly good in the 4matic. whereas the quattro was almost "fun" to drive in the snow, the 4matic gets the job done.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:03 PM

2008 MB C300; 2007 Acura RDX
Originally Posted by IgorDj
drove it in the snow in Canada,
and it ****ing performs well :P

Ive never been in a car that handles so well
that doesnt cost a fortune
DIT TO!!

But watch the heavy foot, like any other car it'll slide around corners if you're being not so smart.

Love the feel for sure
Old 01-11-2008, 11:17 AM

05 E500 4matic, 08 ML320CDI
Thanks for replies. My wife works for an MB Dealer so probably will take advantage of that employee discount again ... Had a Subaru in the past and while it was a great winter car, it definately was lacking in style and in Colorado, everyone has one. I like to be different so the Subie is out... I always liked the Audi Allroad ( for her car, not mine) but know alot of people who are less than ecstatic about Audi reliability so they are down on the list too... Had a BMW325XiT and loved that car but wished they'd sell us the BMW330XiT in the US as the 2.5 liter is gutless, especially at high altitude where we live... Sooo, it'll probably be either an ML or R class, but we'll take a few C300's for a ride in the snow just for the heck of it... With her working there, we can get extended test drives sometimes to really get a good feel for how a car handles, performs, etc. beyond what you can typically determine in a 30 minute test drive with a saleman talking in your ear...
Old 01-11-2008, 01:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E350 4Matic Wagon, 2013 C350 4Matic Sedan
We have both a Subaru Legcay at home, and a C350 4Matic. I find the MB to drive a little better, probably because of the 40/60 torque split. However, the lighter weight and lower center of gravity on the Legacy make it handle very well.

We also had an B5 Audi A4 1.8T with the Quatro IV, 50/50 split works well but was not as entertaining to drive possibly due to the lack of sports suspension on our car.