C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Parking Brake

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 05:31 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 4 Matic
Parking Brake

I searched the forum but could not find a definitive answer on how to correctly use the parking brake. My C300 4matic is the first time I started using the parking brake and I was unsure what the sequence of action should be.

I know that you press the parking brake first and then put the transmission on "P" but do I let go of brake pedal on my right foot and let it inch forward/backward before I put it on "P"?

And when I'm releasing the parking break, do I release the parking brake first or put the transmission on "D" first?

I had a hard time getting used to using the parking brake and drove off a couple of times with the parking brake still on. How bad is this for the car?

thx for helpin this noob.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:38 PM

07 G35 Sedan
It's not hard, if you think about it.

The way I do it:

Parking:
Press and hold brake, put it in Park.
Press parking brake pedal.
Let go of brake.

Leaving:
Press and hold brake, put it in Drive/Reverse.
Release parking brake.
Drive off.

Some of the steps can be switched around. Like if you are on a hill, as long as you're holding the brake, you shouldn't feel any resistance when you shift into D/R after you release the parking brake.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:50 PM
Almost a Member!

I drive 2008 C350
Automatic's "P" is parking brake already. You don't really need to use the other parking brake if you don't park at sloopy areas.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:31 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Park and parking brake

<<Automatic's "P" is parking brake already. You don't really need to use the other parking brake if you don't park at sloopy areas.>>

Sloopy. Wasn't he a cartoon character?

The park function in the transmission does not involve the brakes. It is a mechanical action. Picture a square rod dropping into one of many square holes around a cylinder of sorts. This is a VERY loose description.

Works fine but can be broken off if the car is hit when parked and the parking brake is not set and then off she goes for parts unknown.

Just fine in your garage but out in public it's a good idea to use both.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
Originally Posted by Hungy
Automatic's "P" is parking brake already. You don't really need to use the other parking brake if you don't park at sloopy areas.

always apply P/B
Old 02-07-2008, 08:44 PM
Almost a Member!

C300 4 Matic
Originally Posted by hyukki
It's not hard, if you think about it.

The way I do it:

Parking:
Press and hold brake, put it in Park.
Press parking brake pedal.
Let go of brake.

Leaving:
Press and hold brake, put it in Drive/Reverse.
Release parking brake.
Drive off.

Some of the steps can be switched around. Like if you are on a hill, as long as you're holding the brake, you shouldn't feel any resistance when you shift into D/R after you release the parking brake.
I heard from several people on this forum that you need to put on your parking brake FIRST and then switch to "P" or else the parking brake is not really helping reduce wear and tear on your engine(?)/transmission(?). I believe having the parking brake on after switching to "P" will only serve to prevent it from rolling off on a hill.

Can anyone clarify?
Old 02-07-2008, 11:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C-300, XC70, Wrangler
For a hill, you set your tires so that the car nudges the curb and stops. Don't rely on either P(ark) or the PB for hills. Unsafe.

Trending Topics

Old 02-08-2008, 12:42 AM

07 G35 Sedan
Originally Posted by red309
I heard from several people on this forum that you need to put on your parking brake FIRST and then switch to "P" or else the parking brake is not really helping reduce wear and tear on your engine(?)/transmission(?). I believe having the parking brake on after switching to "P" will only serve to prevent it from rolling off on a hill.

Can anyone clarify?
I don't know why it would damage the transmission if the car isn't moving at all?

When you put it in "P" while applying the brakes, the transmission shouldn't move. Then the parking brake holds the car after you let go of the brake. I mean you can do it the way you posted it but I don't think you're getting the whole picture.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:47 AM

C300 (W204) w/ MM, P1, & 18"amg's
^ The weight of the car is sitting on the tranny... It can bend pins and force you to skip gears, drop gears, or just shred you entire tranny all togeather. Its VERY bad, if you are parking on a hill put the parking brake on... takes two seconds and keeps your tranny new. My father had some tranny problems on his SL500... he is fileing a lemon law so we get a new 08 SL500... or the cash back for an Audi R8 (trying to talk him into it)

P.S. to futher prove my point, when you put your car in 'P' and you let go of the brake you feel the car shift back? thats the car shifting back on your tanny... Now its under constant strain on JUST the tranny... Parking break will hold that weight and its designed for that alone.

Last edited by PoaMike; 02-08-2008 at 08:49 AM.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:09 PM

07 G35 Sedan
Originally Posted by PoaMike
^ The weight of the car is sitting on the tranny... It can bend pins and force you to skip gears, drop gears, or just shred you entire tranny all togeather. Its VERY bad, if you are parking on a hill put the parking brake on... takes two seconds and keeps your tranny new. My father had some tranny problems on his SL500... he is fileing a lemon law so we get a new 08 SL500... or the cash back for an Audi R8 (trying to talk him into it)

P.S. to futher prove my point, when you put your car in 'P' and you let go of the brake you feel the car shift back? thats the car shifting back on your tanny... Now its under constant strain on JUST the tranny... Parking break will hold that weight and its designed for that alone.
I said "while holding the brake" in every one of my posts.

I don't know what ^ was that for. I can't figure out if you're against me or with me.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:22 PM

W212 2011 E-350 4Matic
what I do is:

brake to a stop
set the gear to P
use left foot for PB
let go of the brake.
turn ignition off
open/close the door. press the lock button, the fog lamp blimps twice mirror folds.

hope thats the right way if there really is a difference.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:09 PM

C300 (W204) w/ MM, P1, & 18"amg's
Lol ^ was not a mistake, Im not against anyone
Old 02-11-2008, 01:17 PM
QQQ

MY2001 C320
Originally Posted by PoaMike

Thanks. Good advice.