C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

W204 Mirror Housing removal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 12:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 C 300 Sport, '01 SL 500 & '08 Nissan Frontier SE Crew Cab 4WD
W204 Mirror Housing removal?

My W204 mirrors are getting louder and louder when retracting. They are making a more frequent grinding sound when folding, I want to know if there is a way to remove the housing cover etc.... so I can put some lube inside the housing? Because I have my own business it's impossible for me to get the car to the dealer and deal with all that crap. If I can lube it up with some WD or grease I'm a happy camper.

-Ryan
Old 02-11-2008, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 (W204) w/ MM, P1, & 18"amg's
Just take the WD40 and take the little red straw slide it into every spot you can and give it a small squirt. Couldnt hurt? But I too would like to know this for when I mod the turn signals.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
Because I have my own business it's impossible for me to get the car to the dealer and deal with all that crap.
^ Ryan
We all are very busy

try teflon lube
Old 02-12-2008, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by tanktube67
^ Ryan
We all are very busy

try teflon lube
Yeah I know but some people work in an office and can just take the day off or the morning or "Call in sick" I can't really do that, also MB service isn't open for anything other than oil changes on Saturdays . But anyway I'm going to try the WD with the red straw thingy.

Thanks

-Ryan
Old 02-12-2008, 01:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 R350 & 2008 C300
My dealership will come pick the car up and have it serviced then return it free of charge. This sounds like a nice service in theory....but I'm not keen on letting some teenage kid rag my car all day long, as you know thats who they will send to pick it up lol.

I could be completely wrong here but I believe MB designers actually got something right for once. If you look under the mirror there is actually a small hole in the plastic near the pivot point. My mirrors actually have a spot where you can tell oil or lubricant of some sort has come out there, so that very well may be where you just shoot in some lubricant without tearing the mirror all apart. I couldn't get a light up in there to tell as its a small hole, but its worth a shot, worst that could happen is you got lubricant sprayed in behind your mirror.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by chilledbenz
My dealership will come pick the car up and have it serviced then return it free of charge. This sounds like a nice service in theory....but I'm not keen on letting some teenage kid rag my car all day long, as you know thats who they will send to pick it up lol.

I could be completely wrong here but I believe MB designers actually got something right for once. If you look under the mirror there is actually a small hole in the plastic near the pivot point. My mirrors actually have a spot where you can tell oil or lubricant of some sort has come out there, so that very well may be where you just shoot in some lubricant without tearing the mirror all apart. I couldn't get a light up in there to tell as its a small hole, but its worth a shot, worst that could happen is you got lubricant sprayed in behind your mirror.
Yeah not to keen on the dealer kids picking up my car too, **cough** had that job in college.... . At any rate I retracted the mirrors in the closed position, rolled the windows down and sprayed from inside the window frame into the mirror jamb. I folded them ou/ in about ten times afterwards seems to work pretty smooth. I'm not going to tell my wife just yet, only ask her after about two weeks if she has noticed the mirrors making any noise.

-Ryan
Old 02-12-2008, 06:28 AM

2008 C350 & other fine MB products
Originally Posted by CarGuru
My W204 mirrors are getting louder and louder when retracting. They are making a more frequent grinding sound when folding, I want to know if there is a way to remove the housing cover etc.... so I can put some lube inside the housing? Because I have my own business it's impossible for me to get the car to the dealer and deal with all that crap. If I can lube it up with some WD or grease I'm a happy camper.

-Ryan
Just an observation: You are too busy to take it to a dealership to be properly corrected but you are not too busy to take it apart and troubleshoot it for yourself?

How is that?

If you lube it up to much when your up to speed the excess may just be flinging all of the side of you nice new car. Not that it is my bzness, but just take it to the dealer. Let the professionals be the professionals and fix it properly.
Old 02-12-2008, 06:36 AM
Almost a Member!

Toyota and planning to get a Sport C300, White, Manual, 18" AMG rims, MM, HK Sound.
Originally Posted by uhear
Just an observation: You are too busy to take it to a dealership to be properly corrected but you are not too busy to take it apart and troubleshoot it for yourself?
I think he's busy during the day when the dealership is open... (schedule conflict)
Old 02-12-2008, 09:03 AM

C300 (W204) w/ MM, P1, & 18"amg's
^ You know i read somewhere that everyone thinks that they are all equally buzy but its just their ego saying that they are important? Like people with blackberry's, think the world would stop if they dont answer thos emails right when they are sent. Not saying anything agenst personally I just thought I would share... AGAIN NOT AFTER ANYONE! Personally im one of thos email addicts with my iPhone