C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI
Old 06-04-2015, 06:19 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

w204 secrets thread...

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.64 average.

Old 07-10-2008, 02:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
Originally Posted by angeloxnet
this was a big mistake but i thought i'd add

if your car engine is started and running, and u try to start it again
No nasty crank, or grind noise!, it simply does nothing!

That's the beauty of computers, and technology, car is sometimes smarter then you!

PS> I was in a lot, on the phone, looking at a hot chick, and forgot the car was running in Park, (also very quiet)... so yes I discovered this by mistake.

I have an automatic btw, if that makes any difference!
Yep, I love the feature. No accidently engaging the starter for too long or when it's already started! It prevented me twice already from doing that.

Of course, I now have trouble starting my car that is old fashioned. ha-ha.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
black c300 sport p1
this was a big mistake but i thought i'd add

That's the beauty of computers, and technology, car is sometimes smarter then you!

PS> I was in a lot, on the phone, looking at a hot chick, and forgot the car was running in Park, (also very quiet)... so yes I discovered this by mistake.

I have an automatic btw, if that makes any difference!
hot chicks
Old 07-10-2008, 05:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C320 CDI Elegance
Discovered this feature yesterday. I had the wipers on permanent, not auto intermittent. When I stopped at a traffic light, rather than continuing on wiping permanently, it went into auto intermitent mode by itself. Then as soon as I started driving again, it reverted back to permanent wiping.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:34 AM

2014 Mercedes C250 Coupe, 1998 SL 600 sport
Originally Posted by RLE
Rick is living in the past again. the W203s had the red button (a finger killer) but the W204 has dispensed with it. Just push the hood farther up.

This little MB feature has been present more than thirty years but the release methods have varied.
You know I realized as I was posting, I only noticed this on my loaner last time (W203) Don't think I've actually had my hood open that long, but I just assumed it was the same, now I have to look!

RP
Old 07-10-2008, 07:36 AM

Hey,
I've been wondering about this, I just never had the guts to try and see if would work. Cool
RickP
Old 07-10-2008, 08:18 AM

Mercedes S204 C320 CDI
Originally Posted by The Mercster
Discovered this feature yesterday. I had the wipers on permanent, not auto intermittent. When I stopped at a traffic light, rather than continuing on wiping permanently, it went into auto intermitent mode by itself. Then as soon as I started driving again, it reverted back to permanent wiping.
When you say auto intermitent, do you mean you have to have the rain sensor option for that ?
Old 07-10-2008, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C350 4Matic
Wipers, will auto stop when the car stops, then resume when you start driving, with an occasional wipe as needed. This functions works in any mode you have your wipers on. It is dependent on how much it is raining. If it is raining alot dont expect them to stop.

The starter also has a safety feature to prevent you from killing the starter. So if you restart a car that is running nothing will happen. Try it I promise it will be fine.

Also when you are going down hill with your foot off the gas or on the brake, the car will shift down the tranny so you will have more controll and power to the wheels if you need it.

Most of the secrets on the C are actually in every Benz. but still its cool to keep find out what else these car do.

I think we need a recap soon.
Old 07-10-2008, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 C63S
Originally Posted by 451/443=EW
Wipers, will auto stop when the car stops, then resume when you start driving, with an occasional wipe as needed. This functions works in any mode you have your wipers on. It is dependent on how much it is raining. If it is raining alot dont expect them to stop.

The starter also has a safety feature to prevent you from killing the starter. So if you restart a car that is running nothing will happen. Try it I promise it will be fine.

Also when you are going down hill with your foot off the gas or on the brake, the car will shift down the tranny so you will have more controll and power to the wheels if you need it.

Most of the secrets on the C are actually in every Benz. but still its cool to keep find out what else these car do.

I think we need a recap soon.
+1:
Old 07-10-2008, 08:02 PM

black c300 sport p1
RECAP

1) aux input in glove compartment.
1a) if you have ipod integration, the aux input is tucked away under the plastic cover.

2) aux input is accessed from cd menu (in my non-multimedia pkg).

3) hold alarm on/off pointed at small square on driver's-side door handle to open/close sunroof and windows.

4) power source in glove box is 12v switched (i remember there was some discussion about that).

5) if you have the automatic tranny, push the stick to the left and hold it there, it'll downshift to the gear lowest possible to allow you to be in the powerband to pass cars. And pushing the stick to the right side and hold it there will put you back into the normal automatic shifting mode.

6) Little arrow on the fuel gauge points to the side of the car that the fuel filler is on.

7) there is a way to reset your service indicators and other lighting options by pressing the OK and TALK button I believe.

8) badges in back leave no holes except for the star.

9) A slight tap of up or down on the turn signal tree allows the turn signal to flash 3-4 times for a lane change and then shuts off automatically. No need to full engage the turn signal and shut it off manually.

10) Steps to Reset the TCU. Resetting the TCU will reset transmission to factory shift points and the car will 'relearn' your driving style.
(1.) Turn the ignition key to the on (not start) position.
(2.) Press the gas pedal to the floor and hold for five seconds.
(3.) Turn the key to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.
(4.) Wait at least two minutes for TCU to reset.

11) brake rotors stay at peak efficiency from feathering initiated after a certain number of windshield wipes during rain.

12) headlamp cleaners activate every 10 windshield washes.

13) when the sun / Pano roof is left open on an extremely hot sunny day, the
car will automatically close it (tilt position) after a while ( when the car is
parked) (euro p2 version only)

14) again if the car is equipped with Sun/Pano roof as well as rain sensing
wipers, the car will again close (tilt position) the roof as soon as the sensors
detect rain ( when the car is parked ) (possible euro p2 only)

15) PRE-SAFE system, which automatically closes open windows, sunroof, and move the seats, headrest + steering wheel to a more protective position - all done within milliseconds as soon as the car senses that an accident is imminent. This is the 2nd stage of pro-safe. First stage is the passive pre-emptive measure, like ESP etc. The 3rd stage is post an accident, which includes automatice shut down of engine and cutting off fuel supply + turning on hazards lights + lowering windows slightly + unlocking all doors.

16) rollbackassist : if i am on steep hills, i notice a roll back assist engages. I think it might happen if i press down on the brakes a bit harder. Release and the car holds itself for a few seconds before rolling back. Works Great!

17) autosense wipers that actually work!

18) on the cruise control stalk: If you push the stalk all the way up, it will increase the speed to the next 5mph increment (ie 52 goes to 55). If you push it down it will decrease the speed to the next 5mph increment (ie 58 goes to 55).

19) this is not somthing you can controll but the new W204 also has vents behind the rear wheels that exit out of the tail lights to keep them clean but more inportantly helps to give the car an overall drag coeffienecy of ONLY .29

20) with the MM the stereos volume will raise if you enter an area with loud noise.

21) If you have the transmission in C, and you punch off the line hard, it uses 1st gear, not second.

22) Leave your headlights in Auto mode & the parking lights & fogs will remain lit when you arm or disarm your car when it is dark.

23) Little arrow on the fuel gauge points to the side of the car that the fuel filler is on.

24) While listening to a cd, the music register or satelite radio, we all know that sometimes you can't read the full title of the song playing. Just press the # button on the dash and you will see the full title and the artist.

25) * key will allow you to jump to a specific track or radio station

26) If you have previously engaged your cruise control at lets say 70mph and are off cruse control but want to reset it to your current speed, raise the cruise control lever to the up position. This will reset it to your current speed where if you pulled the lever towards you, you'll be returned to the previous set speed.

27) slight tap on blinker gives a short 3 blinks for lane changes

28) if you use two fingers you can do all fore windows at the same time, up or down.

29) when the trunk is up and you're still in the driver's seat, you can see out the back, through the center mirror. The hinge lifts up and away, letting you see oncoming traffic before you open the door.

30) Auto dimming mirrors get light when in reverse.

31) dial mounted on the center console will not allow you to change stations or functions display unit unless the hood is raised.

32) In autos, u dont have to turn the ignition key all the way to start the vehicle. in other words, car can start before u complete the turn of the key. Also the car won’t let you re-try the ignition if the car is already on.

33) hood can be pushed up to 90 degrees while open

34) Discovered this feature yesterday. I had the wipers on permanent, not auto intermittent. When I stopped at a traffic light, rather than continuing on wiping permanently, it went into auto intermitent mode by itself. Then as soon as I started driving again, it reverted back to permanent wiping.

35) Wipers, will auto stop when the car stops, then resume when you start driving, with an occasional wipe as needed. This functions works in any mode you have your wipers on. It is dependent on how much it is raining. If it is raining alot dont expect them to stop.

36) Also when you are going down hill with your foot off the gas or on the brake, the car will shift down the tranny so you will have more controll and power to the wheels if you need it.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:03 PM

black c300 sport p1
Originally Posted by trial0r
RECAP

1a) if you have ipod integration, the aux input is tucked away under the plastic cover.

3) hold alarm on/off pointed at small square on driver's-side door handle to open/close sunroof and windows.

4) power source in glove box is 12v switched (i remember there was some discussion about that).

5) if you have the automatic tranny, push the stick to the left and hold it there, it'll downshift to the gear lowest possible to allow you to be in the powerband to pass cars. And pushing the stick to the right side and hold it there will put you back into the normal automatic shifting mode.

6) Little arrow on the fuel gauge points to the side of the car that the fuel filler is on.

7) there is a way to reset your service indicators and other lighting options by pressing the OK and TALK button I believe.

9) A slight tap of up or down on the turn signal tree allows the turn signal to flash 3-4 times for a lane change and then shuts off automatically. No need to full engage the turn signal and shut it off manually.

10) Steps to Reset the TCU. Resetting the TCU will reset transmission to factory shift points and the car will 'relearn' your driving style.
(3.) Turn the key to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.

11) brake rotors stay at peak efficiency from feathering initiated after a certain number of windshield wipes during rain.

wipers, the car will again close (tilt position) the roof as soon as the sensors

15) PRE-SAFE system, which automatically closes open windows, sunroof, and move the seats, headrest + steering wheel to a more protective position - all done within milliseconds as soon as the car senses that an accident is imminent. This is the 2nd stage of pro-safe. First stage is the passive pre-emptive measure, like ESP etc. The 3rd stage is post an accident, which includes automatice shut down of engine and cutting off fuel supply + turning on hazards lights + lowering windows slightly + unlocking all doors.

16) rollbackassist : if i am on steep hills, i notice a roll back assist engages. I think it might happen if i press down on the brakes a bit harder. Release and the car holds itself for a few seconds before rolling back. Works Great!

18) on the cruise control stalk: If you push the stalk all the way up, it will increase the speed to the next 5mph increment (ie 52 goes to 55). If you push it down it will decrease the speed to the next 5mph increment (ie 58 goes to 55).

19) this is not somthing you can controll but the new W204 also has vents behind the rear wheels that exit out of the tail lights to keep them clean but more inportantly helps to give the car an overall drag coeffienecy of ONLY .29

20) with the MM the stereos volume will raise if you enter an area with loud noise.

21) If you have the transmission in C, and you punch off the line hard, it uses 1st gear, not second.

22) Leave your headlights in Auto mode & the parking lights & fogs will remain lit when you arm or disarm your car when it is dark.

23) Little arrow on the fuel gauge points to the side of the car that the fuel filler is on.

24) While listening to a cd, the music register or satelite radio, we all know that sometimes you can't read the full title of the song playing. Just press the # button on the dash and you will see the full title and the artist.

26) If you have previously engaged your cruise control at lets say 70mph and are off cruse control but want to reset it to your current speed, raise the cruise control lever to the up position. This will reset it to your current speed where if you pulled the lever towards you, you'll be returned to the previous set speed.

28) if you use two fingers you can do all fore windows at the same time, up or down.

29) when the trunk is up and you're still in the driver's seat, you can see out the back, through the center mirror. The hinge lifts up and away, letting you see oncoming traffic before you open the door.

31) dial mounted on the center console will not allow you to change stations or functions display unit unless the hood is raised.

32) In autos, u dont have to turn the ignition key all the way to start the vehicle. in other words, car can start before u complete the turn of the key. Also the car won’t let you re-try the ignition if the car is already on.

34) Discovered this feature yesterday. I had the wipers on permanent, not auto intermittent. When I stopped at a traffic light, rather than continuing on wiping permanently, it went into auto intermitent mode by itself. Then as soon as I started driving again, it reverted back to permanent wiping.

35) Wipers, will auto stop when the car stops, then resume when you start driving, with an occasional wipe as needed. This functions works in any mode you have your wipers on. It is dependent on how much it is raining. If it is raining alot dont expect them to stop.

36) Also when you are going down hill with your foot off the gas or on the brake, the car will shift down the tranny so you will have more controll and power to the wheels if you need it.
MODS - is there a way i can be granted access to edit my original post to make these additions? currently i'm unable to do so.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:07 AM

W204 C230
hey guys, i have a question, when i locked the door i did not hear beep beep sound >. how about you guys ?? my car had no anti-theft system..?? Ive been asking around some MB techs at dealer , they said W204 can be re-programmed to make they sound beep beep , but MB at my country they dont do that , need to know codes.., anyone knows how to do this ???

Last edited by vnc230; 07-11-2008 at 04:09 AM.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by vnc230
hey guys, i have a question, when i locked the door i did not hear beep beep sound >. how about you guys ?? my car had no anti-theft system..?? Ive been asking around some MB techs at dealer , they said W204 can be re-programmed to make they sound beep beep , but MB at my country they dont do that , need to know codes.., anyone knows how to do this ???
To check if you have an alarm open a window and close all the doors and press the lock button. reach in through the window unlock the door and open it. If you have an alarm it will sound. Then you only need to get the beeps programed. (your lights should flash three times too).
After two months I started to wonder if I had a security system. Had to test it for myself. Finally an alarm system that actually works!
Rick
Old 07-11-2008, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by 451/443=EW
Okay, it works LOL.

Oh, the auto dimming mirrors turning off in reverse are bad @$$! Noticed it last night while backing in the drive (Bright Driveway lights). I noticed them going light and said a quiet thank you to you guys LOL....
RP
Old 07-11-2008, 08:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C63S
RECAP

. Great thread. Not to be a pain but there are a couple of doubles

Last edited by Will617; 07-11-2008 at 08:48 AM.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by RLE
Rick is living in the past again. the W203s had the red button (a finger killer) but the W204 has dispensed with it. Just push the hood farther up.

This little MB feature has been present more than thirty years but the release methods have varied.

Here is another tidbit of a difference between W203 and W204 (is this off topic? Sorry). When using the express open from outside the car in the W203 if you have the back of the sunrool open as a vent and try to open all the windows from the outside, the sunroof will not move. On the W204 it will close and slide back fully open.
Addtionally, you do not have the +5mph on the Cruise control stick on the W203. Just a little FYI

Rick
Old 07-11-2008, 10:58 AM

Received 130 Likes on 116 Posts
2019C63S coupe
Electric door mirrors will not fold when you are driving above 25 mph. (approx.)
Old 07-11-2008, 02:08 PM

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
2022 GLE450
does the aux imput in the glove box come even if you dont have an ipod controler kit?
Old 07-11-2008, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C300 Sport Black Darth V3.0
Originally Posted by hutch300
does the aux imput in the glove box come even if you dont have an ipod controler kit?
Yes it does
Old 07-11-2008, 04:29 PM

black c300 sport p1
Originally Posted by Will617
. Great thread. Not to be a pain but there are a couple of doubles
lol you're a pain...will edit later.

its annoying that i'm not allowed to edit the original post to keep the list on the first page and easy to find.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
Antiquated forum software will do that to you every time.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:49 PM

BNW Z4
Here's one more I discovered on the commute last night; may only work if you have MM system.

In full-screen Navi Mode, turning the control knob left and right changes the scale of the map "on the fly"...no need to go into the settings. Works only in full-screen, however. If top and bottom menu bars are displayed it doesn't work.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C63S
Are you sure trail0r. I can still edit mine. You have to be logged in though.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:43 PM

2008 Sport C-300, 2003 Accord Coupe V6
Originally Posted by The Mercster
My 2003 Accord also has this feature.
Old 07-11-2008, 07:08 PM

black c300 sport p1
Originally Posted by Will617
Are you sure trail0r. I can still edit mine. You have to be logged in though.
there's a time limit on editing...i think its like 2 weeks
Old 07-12-2008, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C63S
there's a time limit on editing...i think its like 2 weeks
Oh, OK thanks. Didn't know there was a time limit.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.64 average.

Quick Reply: w204 secrets thread...