C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Help - Foggy Exterior Front Windshield

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C300 4Matic
Help - Foggy Exterior Front Windshield

Hey All,

I just picked up my 2008 C300 4Matic a few weeks ago. Ever since I had it, the front exterior windshield is constantly fogging up. It starts small at the bottom of the windshield near the wipers and slowly creeps up. I've tried everything: various a/c settings, de-fog button, closing the a/c vents ect...and nothing seems to help. It really frustrating and annoying.

I live in Toronto and I guess its humid this time of year but still. This is a $50,000 car and all my previous Fords and Subarus that were cheaper didn't have this problem.

Anyone else experiencing this? If so, any solutions? Can the dealer help?

Your advice would be really appreciated.

Thank You
Old 07-12-2008, 05:50 PM

2008 C300 4Matic
Anyone...
Old 07-12-2008, 05:58 PM

1999 210 4matic / 2011 W204 C300 sport
1st this has nothing to do with how much the car worth , as an example , how much is the space shuttle ? and it still blow up.

i have the same problem too , until now i just have to keep cleaning it
Old 07-12-2008, 06:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
black c300 sport p1
Originally Posted by maninblack
1st this has nothing to do with how much the car worth , as an example , how much is the space shuttle ? and it still blow up.

i have the same problem too , until now i just have to keep cleaning it
lol at that analogy.

can you just put your wipers on?
Old 07-12-2008, 06:12 PM

i think he meant the inside windshield , than again , maybe i am wrong lol
Old 07-12-2008, 06:14 PM

black c300 sport p1
Originally Posted by tremulant
Hey All,

I just picked up my 2008 C300 4Matic a few weeks ago. Ever since I had it, the front exterior windshield is constantly fogging up. It starts small at the bottom of the windshield near the wipers and slowly creeps up. I've tried everything: various a/c settings, de-fog button, closing the a/c vents ect...and nothing seems to help. It really frustrating and annoying.

I live in Toronto and I guess its humid this time of year but still. This is a $50,000 car and all my previous Fords and Subarus that were cheaper didn't have this problem.

Thank You
wipers
Old 07-12-2008, 06:16 PM

2008 C300 4Matic
Thanks - but it's the exterior (outside) windshield. Putting on the wipers is not an option. That's just stupid to have your wipers on in the middle of summer when it's not raining.

Can anyone else help other than the two above who didn't help at all?
Old 07-12-2008, 06:35 PM

black c300 sport p1
Thanks - but it's the exterior (outside) windshield. Putting on the wipers is not an option. That's just stupid to have your wipers on in the middle of summer when it's not raining.

last time i checked my wipers were in the outside of my car.

since you're so well mannered i googled windshield condensation for you and here is the FIRST link that popped up.
  • It's too hot and humid outside the automobile, and you have your air conditioning (or 'defroster')* running at a very cold temperature. In this instance, the water vapor is accumulating on the outside of the glass, because the interior of your car is very cool, relative to the outside temperature. Water vapor condenses on cold surfaces.
These are two distinct problems, but you can use your defroster, or any fan directed at the windshield, to accomplish windshield clarity, as I will describe. It is amazing (to me) that proper defogging techniques are not taught in driver's education classes (or at least, they were not taught to me), because not everybody understands the physics involved. I, admittedly, only understand a little bit about it, but I have developed a system for defrosting a windshield properly, efficiently, and effortlessly. And I share it below. But remember, if your windshield is compromising your view of the road, pull over to solve this problem -- do not attempt to solve the problem while also driving. That could be dangerous.
One common mistake in windshield-defogging is the belief that there is something wrong with the windshield defroster. There's not. The problem is you. I'm sorry, but I'm just being honest. You turn it on at full blast set for the coldest temperature (or the hottest temperature), and then get all pissed off when, after about thirty seconds of blissfully clear glass, you are dismayed at new formations of condensate. You give up, thinking your defroster is not working. But you just didn't give it the right instructions, that's all.
The first line of defense should always be fresh air. Very often, fresh air, either let in through the windows or the vents, can eliminate condensation without the need for a 'formal' defrosting process. But sometimes this won't work; if it's raining; if you're particularly sweaty; if it's particularly humid outside; or if it's too cold outside to roll down the windows.
In the event that fresh air does not work, (and for both scenarios above), you must attempt to minimize the difference in temperature between the two sides of the glass. Follow this process:
Turn on your car's defroster (and if that does not automatically engage the air conditioning, if you have one, turn on the air conditioning too). This applies in any weather. The 'air conditioning' involves a dehumidifying process which is very helpful at windshield defrosting. If you don't have air conditioning, but rather, just a fan vent pointed at the windsheild, turn that on instead.
Now, the most important step: Find the right temperature! If it's hot outside, start with the temperature adjusted to the hottest setting until all of the fog disappears from the glass. Then, slowly begin moving it to colder and colder settings until you see the first hint of frost beginning to form on the windshield again. Immediately turn the temperature back ever-so-slightly warmer, and you should have found the equilibrium point. If it's cold outside, you'll want to do the opposite: Start with the temperature as cold as possible until all of the frost disappears, and then immediately begin adjusting the temperature warmer and warmer, until the first signs of condensation reappear.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:02 PM

2008 C300 4Matic
TrilOr thank you...I was just joking.

I'll try that technique as it seems to make sense. If it doesn't work I'm going back to the dealer.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:42 PM

Old 07-12-2008, 08:59 PM

black c300 sport p1
TrilOr thank you...I was just joking.

I'll try that technique as it seems to make sense. If it doesn't work I'm going back to the dealer.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63

Err, I encountered the same problem in a Sienna when I was in Toronto a couple of weeks ago. Flick of the wiper stalk and what do you know, it was gone!
Old 07-13-2008, 04:03 PM

2008 C300 4Matic
Oh thanks AsianML you ****ing retard I never would have thought of that!!
Old 07-13-2008, 04:49 PM

e92
Seems like you need the Rain-X Anti Fog...

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/1...=yssp_mainvids
Old 07-13-2008, 05:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2007 E63
Oh thanks AsianML you ****ing retard I never would have thought of that!!
I'm the retard? You're the one wouldn't use the windshield wipers when you tried everything you could to control it from the inside of the car.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:05 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Condensation

Hey All,

Thank You
I've waded through all the non-answers to your question and was curious enough to look at my own car for a source of steam. I thought about a coolant leak from the heater line that runs across the rear of the engine compartment but looking at the double seal when the hood is down, that seemed unlikely.

The only other exterior source of vapor would be the cabin air intake which is under the right side wiper blade. The next time this occurs, you might stop and check the plastic grille over the intake for dampness. Of course, air is always flowing into that intake, except when the recirculate button has been pushed.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:45 AM

2008 C300 4Matic
Thanks RLE -

That makes alot of sense - I'll definitely look for that this evening on my way home from work.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 E320, 2006 Audi A6, 2008 C350 W204, 2010 BMW F10, 2012 Porsche Carrera S 991, 2014 E350 W212
IF It's exterior, i don't think it's really the car's fault... it's the weather condition... can't change the nature.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:03 AM

Mercedes GLC
Just got a GLC last weekend and the same thing is happening with my car. The condensation seems to be between the glass and the defroster does not help. I have not had this problem with any other car I have owned.