C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI
Old 06-05-2015, 01:11 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Car Detailing and Cleaning Guides
Print Wikipost

Windshield Wiper HELP S.O.S!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 01:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C350 4matic Obsidian Black
Windshield Wiper HELP S.O.S!

Heres the deal.. My car only have 1900kms on it and I live in Vancouver Canada. Raining season is starting so I am just starting to use my windshield wiper... I thought the blade should be a clean sweep with no sound and skipping but... OMFG... it skip like hell!!!!... I've tried everything.. I use the spray and it work for a couple of sweep be then the skipping came back again. Plus it skipping on EVERY Settings! I try thoroughly cleaning the wiper blade with windshield solution but same thing happen AGAIN... I even tried using the Rain-X, which from previous thread was told not to, and made it a bit worst. I even tried steel wooling the hell out of the windshield, but nothing I did ever help... WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS?! My GF's new honda civic coupe swept so clean without ANY NOISE AT ALL!!!.. Now she is Laughing at my car ! HELP anyone? S.O.S.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
Originally Posted by JCOnizuka
Heres the deal.. My car only have 1900kms on it and I live in Vancouver Canada. Raining season is starting so I am just starting to use my windshield wiper... I thought the blade should be a clean sweep with no sound and skipping but... OMFG... it skip like hell!!!!... I've tried everything.. I use the spray and it work for a couple of sweep be then the skipping came back again. Plus it skipping on EVERY Settings! I try thoroughly cleaning the wiper blade with windshield solution but same thing happen AGAIN... I even tried using the Rain-X, which from previous thread was told not to, and made it a bit worst. I even tried steel wooling the hell out of the windshield, but nothing I did ever help... WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS?! My GF's new honda civic coupe swept so clean without ANY NOISE AT ALL!!!.. Now she is Laughing at my car ! HELP anyone? S.O.S.
Mine sounds good. I use Meguiar's glass cleaners with glass towels, and I clean it about every day, to keep it from getting bad. I don't know if what I do helps or not.

Sorry, I bet you can figure it out though. Good luck!
Old 09-22-2008, 04:01 AM
Almost a Member!

C230 (W204)
I had exactly the same problem... Didn't rain for much of the first month after I took delivery, so I didn't really pay attention. Once I had to turn them on, they chattered like crazy, skipping at all settings (psycho rain sensor didn't help matters); wife was complaining like crazy...

Did some research on the Net, solutions from rubbing alcohol to Rain-X (note that some said it worked, others said it was the CAUSE of the problem) to Wiper arm adjustment. Took it back to the dealer a fortnight ago, they replaced the wiper blades for me, said if there were any more probs to send it back... So far so good! *fingers crossed*.

Slight but what I'd really like to know is if it's ok to always clean the wiper blades. Usually when I wash my car, there's always a slight residue (usually black in colour; I assume dirt) on the blade. Is it ok to wipe the blade till there's nothing on the chamois?

Old 09-22-2008, 04:09 AM

Mercedes C280 Avantgarde
I have had the same experience. The first time it happened I had some visitors in the car - their first time in a MB! I have clocked up 10,000 km. The hopping and skipping has diminished but still bothers me. Reading the forums to date makes me conclude that there is a design problem with the wiper/and or the windscreen. This is my first MB and I must say that I am very dispappointed.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
[QUOTE=JCOnizuka;3065186]Heres the deal.. My car only have 1900kms on it and I live in Vancouver Canada. Raining season is starting so I am just starting to use my windshield wiper... I thought the blade should be a clean sweep with no sound and skipping but... OMFG... it skip like hell!!!!...

It sounds as if your windscreen wiper rubbers are too hard therefore causing the skipping. New soft unperished rubber should not do this. Take it back to the dealer & be issued with a new pair ,hopefully from a different manufacturer or batch. Good luck.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C300 Sport Black Darth V3.0
Just clean the blades with rubbing alcohol when ever you wash the car.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:55 PM

W212 2011 E-350 4Matic
I used to have that problem
the reason why it streaks is because the windshield is uneven due things from car wax to grease and oils from trees bugs etc.

use detailing clay bar on your windshield (after washing it 1st)
and using proper sprays for the clay bar.

it was able to remove the oils and waxes from road debris as well as baked on water streaks
no more streaks

Last edited by syrAMG; 09-22-2008 at 01:58 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:05 PM
Almost a Member!

C230 (W204)
I suppose it depends on the nature of the problem.. Before I had my wiper blades replaced, I also tried claying the windscreen then after that didn't work, using the Autoglym Glass Polish... No Dice.

Best of luck to the TS though...

Originally Posted by syrAMG
I used to have that problem
the reason why it streaks is because the windshield is uneven due things from car wax to grease and oils from trees bugs etc.

use detailing clay bar on your windshield (after washing it 1st)
and using proper sprays for the clay bar.

it was able to remove the oils and waxes from road debris as well as baked on water streaks
no more streaks
Old 09-23-2008, 02:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
15 E350 4Matic
It will go away by itself. Just need to break it in.

Last edited by who8888; 09-23-2008 at 02:59 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C350 4Matic
Iv seen it on other cars aswell. I think there is too much pressure on the wiper pressing down on the windshield. Plus the grippy rubber blade, cusing it to skip. Id take it to the dealer and have them change your blades, if it still happens let them know and see if they can release a tiny bit of pressure of the blade to windsheild. . And ya it may go away with time.

Personally since iv seen it on many kinds of cars, im starting to think that maybe the spings are to tight on your wiper arms. ( the ones that slam and hold your blades tight to the window )
Old 09-25-2008, 05:51 PM

Metro Card : (
wow, i might not get this car...i had this EXACT problem on my w203, and it drove me insane...the skipping would get so hard, i would classify it as violence - a true hazard

I had everything replaced under warranty: wiper, arms, motor, and the windshield!!! the windshield did the trick, but the problem came back after i used rainx. I am not sure if that's the culprit, but i would not be surprised

i did everything in the world to clean the windshield - wax, clay, alcohol, soft scrub, you name it, i tried it...nothing could stop the problem

i might have to say good bye to MB...i can't buy a new car with this problem
Old 09-25-2008, 09:59 PM

C350 4matic Obsidian Black
Hi Guys, Thanks for all the helps. To update this situation, I went to the dealership yesterday and had it replaced. And so far I only had a couple of skip Initially when I pick it up. After that, there are no more skipping at all. Apparently, the blades needs to "break in" as some other members has mention. My old blades was a bad blade too. Thats why it skipped violently. So if anyone had the same problem, I suggest go back to the dealership and had the blades replaced. It will work!