C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

which brand of gas?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C300 SPORT
Thumbs up How to get the most gas for your money!

Though it would be a good idea to put these tips and tricks i learned from a friend a while back on how to get the most gas for your money, I don't know how much you guys are paying but in NY were still on the 4.00$ for 93 octane.

1.Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening…your gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role. Any one (1) degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

2.When you’re filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode. If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. In slow mode you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some other liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you’re getting less worth for your money.

3.One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL or HALF EMPTY. The reason for this is, the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation.

4.Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up, most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom. Hope this will help you get the most value for your money.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:48 PM

Received 130 Likes on 116 Posts
2019C63S coupe
Thx Andystyle,

I will give it a go

I have used Shell 'V' power from day one. My exhaust tips are free of any deposits could it be the fuel?

Last edited by Uga Uga; 09-29-2008 at 01:54 PM.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:48 PM

C350 4MATIC Premium Package Obsidian Black
the only two brands i use are chevron and petro can. both are 91
Old 09-30-2008, 10:43 PM

w204-C300
Originally Posted by Andystyle
Though it would be a good idea to put these tips and tricks i learned from a friend a while back on how to get the most gas for your money, I don't know how much you guys are paying but in NY were still on the 4.00$ for 93 octane.

1.Only buy or fill up your car or truck in the early morning when the ground temperature is still cold. Remember that all service stations have their storage tanks buried below ground. The colder the ground the more dense the gasoline, when it gets warmer gasoline expands, so buying in the afternoon or in the evening…your gallon is not exactly a gallon. In the petroleum business, the specific gravity and the temperature of the gasoline, diesel and jet fuel, ethanol and other petroleum products plays an important role. Any one (1) degree rise in temperature is a big deal for this business. But the service stations do not have temperature compensation at the pumps.

2.When you’re filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode. If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. In slow mode you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapors that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapor return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some other liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapor. Those vapors are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you’re getting less worth for your money.

3.One of the most important tips is to fill up when your gas tank is HALF FULL or HALF EMPTY. The reason for this is, the more gas you have in your tank the less air occupying its empty space. Gasoline evaporates faster than you can imagine. Gasoline storage tanks have an internal floating roof. This roof serves as zero clearance between the gas and the atmosphere, so it minimizes the evaporation.

4.Another reminder, if there is a gasoline truck pumping into the storage tanks when you stop to buy gas, DO NOT fill up, most likely the gasoline is being stirred up as the gas is being delivered, and you might pick up some of the dirt that normally settles on the bottom. Hope this will help you get the most value for your money.
I have a couple questions:

1. Is is alright to mix two different brands of gas with the same octane level? Ie. BP's Ultimate 93 and Shell V-Plus
2. What about mixing two different brands of gas with different octane level? Ie. BP's Ultimate 93 and Shell's regular.

I heard that gas with different octane level are not supposed to be mixed.

Thanks.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Andr3an
I have a couple questions:

1. Is is alright to mix two different brands of gas with the same octane level? Ie. BP's Ultimate 93 and Shell V-Plus
2. What about mixing two different brands of gas with different octane level? Ie. BP's Ultimate 93 and Shell's regular.

I heard that gas with different octane level are not supposed to be mixed.

Thanks.
You can mix different brands or octane levels, but I cannot understand why you would use anything but premium.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:55 PM

w204-C300
Originally Posted by Untertürkheim
You can mix different brands or octane levels, but I cannot understand why you would use anything but premium.
I do use premium. Atlanta is having gas crisis. I was running really low on fuel, and all the gas stations have is regular. So I put in 2 galons of regular then after a few days, I mixed the regular with premium.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
Originally Posted by Andr3an
I do use premium. Atlanta is having gas crisis. I was running really low on fuel, and all the gas stations have is regular. So I put in 2 galons of regular then after a few days, I mixed the regular with premium.
You'll be ok. An emergency situation like that is fine, or even an accident if someone ever put some by accident it would end up ok I'm sure.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 C250 sport
Originally Posted by Uga Uga
Thx Andystyle,

I will give it a go

I have used Shell 'V' power from day one. My exhaust tips are free of any deposits could it be the fuel?
So are mine. I always use Shell V-Power. Other Mercedes, C300s, C350s, some brand new, have almost black exhaust tips. Mine never have deposits But I use premium Shell in our Jetta 2.0t, which recommends premium, and the tips will get deposits after 1 day of driving.
Old 10-02-2008, 08:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
I bought my C300 three weeks ago and with the gas shortage in Atlanta, I had to put no-name 87 octane in for the first fill up(either that or make like Fred Flinstone)...almost made me cry. Anyhow, added a bottle of octane boost and drove easy(no pinging). Just seemed like a bad way to begin my first Mercedes experience.
Once the stations get caught back up, I will be a BP/Amoco user.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:08 PM

'08 C300W Lux
Originally Posted by Untertürkheim
It does not matter as long as it is top tier.
I agree!
Old 11-20-2009, 05:02 AM

09 C350 4M/ 09 ML350 4M
Either shell or Chevron!
Old 11-20-2009, 09:24 AM

2009 C200K
92 Octane.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Over the recent years, I have been consistently impressed by the good quality of Costco's house brand of various products (Kirkland). Tells me something about the company's quality standards. Combined with the huge volume of business, what I've concluded is that Costco premium gas is likely also high quality, fresh, and clean, as those underground tanks are all fairly new and constantly being drained and refilled. We use Costco premium in both MBs and regular in the Jeep and all is well.

But, they do run the pumps faster than most other gas stations, confirmed by Costco, so to prevent splashback, only use the slowest automatic setting on the handle.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:54 AM
Banned

09 CLK550
Shell V power 93/ BP 93/ Sunoco 100/
Old 11-20-2009, 10:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
\
I use Esso 95 because of military contracts, but Shell V-Power is definitely recommendable.

Here's an interesting article about taking the different brands to the Dyno.

EDIT: Carlsson also recommended blending 100 grade fuel into the tank to achieve better high end performance. I'm pretty sure you could fill the entire tank with it, but the costs wouldn't justify the results for most driving. Octane only measures the stability of the combustion at high pressure and temperature so at face value it won't hurt your car.

Last edited by Peabody; 11-20-2009 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:43 AM

\
Hey Glen, what do you think of this homebrew octane booster?
Old 11-20-2009, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes C300 Sport, BMW 745Li, VW Mk6 Golf TDI
Originally Posted by Sportstick
Over the recent years, I have been consistently impressed by the good quality of Costco's house brand of various products (Kirkland). Tells me something about the company's quality standards. Combined with the huge volume of business, what I've concluded is that Costco premium gas is likely also high quality, fresh, and clean, as those underground tanks are all fairly new and constantly being drained and refilled. We use Costco premium in both MBs and regular in the Jeep and all is well.

But, they do run the pumps faster than most other gas stations, confirmed by Costco, so to prevent splashback, only use the slowest automatic setting on the handle.
Careful though, the brand of gas purchased by Costco varies by location. Not all Costco stations are equal.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
That's a good point and seems to apply to name brand stations as well. I see a variety of local oil company trucks with no brand affiliation pulling up to refill our local Sunoco and Shell stations...no hint of Sunoco or Shell anywhere on them. I guess it's best to get to know your local station and stick with that good one when you can.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:26 PM

Any major tier one brand that doesn't use ethanol.
Why?
1. Ethanol = lower mileage
2. For Direct Injection engines ethanol can add to the carbon buildup.

In my opinion Shell is probably the best gasoline.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:14 PM

'09 C300 4Matic Sport
The cheapest one I can find...and I only put in Regular lol

It's a lease and has been runnin just fine on Regular...no need to waste the extra money on Premium or Super
Old 11-20-2009, 02:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C350
One of my good friends is a 15 years Chemical Engineering veteran at Chevron. He works on the design/testing of the Techron agent. Although he could very well be "drinking the chevron kool-aid" he says that NOTHING compares to the positive attributes of Techron. Closest second is Shell V-Power. I believe him
Old 11-20-2009, 03:21 PM

2018 E300 4MATIC Sedan
Originally Posted by NJBNZ
The cheapest one I can find...and I only put in Regular lol

It's a lease and has been runnin just fine on Regular...no need to waste the extra money on Premium or Super
Even though you don't care about your car since it is a lease, if you are filling up with regular instead of premium to save money you are actually doing the opposite. Read this thread :

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...st-here-3.html

To summarize, your car is designed to run on premium. If you run regular, you will get less MPG then if you filled up with premium. So, even though you save $3 or $4 at the pump, you break even ( or worse ) when it comes to MPG.

Think about it...

Nick
Old 11-20-2009, 06:00 PM

2012 US Edition C300 Luxury 4-Matic
I use no name regular

I use no name regular and the sign on the pump usually states it contains 10% ethanol, have been using since new and I have absolutely zero problems and get as high as 29 MPG on long trips using cruise control.

I use any brand usually grocery store chain (Kroger), and sometime Sheetz, and when on a long trip away from home base, whatever I can find thats cheap, in it goes!

Nuke
Old 11-20-2009, 07:12 PM

W204/W220
Chevron 92/94. w/ Techron =D
Old 11-20-2009, 07:16 PM

2008 C350 4Matic
Shell 91 V-Power. Love the easyPay pass they have.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: which brand of gas?