C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

*DIY Rear Camera install w/Pics - Centered Location

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 11:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C300
To the OP, have you had any issues with tapping the power where you did?

I'm about to start this project and I was going to use an Add a fuse for a fuse in the rear passenger fuse panel and ground it to an existing ground location on the body.

My plan to route the wiring is passenger door sills and under glove box....but as opposed to what many on here are doing I will probably start from the front and work my way back as I have with audio installs. Also - anyone use silicone or anything around the mounting bracket to prevent water from coming in?
Old 03-15-2013, 11:33 AM

c class w204 2012
c class 2012 facelift

hi my friends,

i am new to this forum and i have to make some questions about aftermarket rear view camera for c class facelift 2012. i have to say that i like your posts!

1) is it possible to install an aftermarket rvcamera to a c class 2012 audio 20 without command without nav. is the simple version of audio 20. i dont know if it has the video input at rear via fakra rca cable!
2) if installed and program the audio 20(enable rear view camera), and wire the camera through fuse box, will automatically works just by select the reverse gear? or shall i connect the wires to reverse light wire?
3) is it ok to connect the red wire of camera with #71 fuse which is for cigar lighter, or if you know tell me where or to what fuse in fuse box shall i make the connection.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:45 PM

2013 C300 Sport
Hi

I am trying to install camera into my 2013 c300
I ma having trouble removing trunk plastic handle. I unscrewed 2 scewes like on the picture, then unsnapped 3 yellow pins but this thing is still in place. It looks like Trunk Open handle somehow keeps it in place and i cannot pull it from there.
If I apply more force it scratches the car on sides.
Please give me some hints on this. Whoever remember or have experience removing this plastic from trunk.
Thanks
Old 03-31-2013, 11:04 AM

2010 C300 4matic Special Edition
Originally Posted by vluzhko
Hi

I am trying to install camera into my 2013 c300
I ma having trouble removing trunk plastic handle. I unscrewed 2 scewes like on the picture, then unsnapped 3 yellow pins but this thing is still in place. It looks like Trunk Open handle somehow keeps it in place and i cannot pull it from there.
If I apply more force it scratches the car on sides.
Please give me some hints on this. Whoever remember or have experience removing this plastic from trunk.
Thanks
There are 4 screws, 2 inside and 2 outside. Also, on mine, there is a plastic plug on the right (passenger) side where MB puts their camera. It is quite large and is held in place with side clips. Reach inside and squeeze the sides and it should allow the handle to move. Put tape on the trunk under the plastic handle both sides to prevent scratching. The handle needed some force to undo.
Old 09-18-2013, 03:27 AM

09 Mercedes C300
Has anyone tried this type of camera?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Benz-C-Series-Backup-Rear-View-Camera-Monitor-/400240759634?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item5d30355352&vxp=mtr
If so, is there a difference it the output of the light. I mean is one side dim compared to the other.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:04 AM

c250 Coupe Sport
where did you get your video camera?
Old 02-28-2016, 12:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL 320
We replaced the back door latch in our gl320 and some time ago. The reversing camera stopped working about the same time. The battery was run flat a couple of times because of the auto door latch thing. The camera hasn't worked for months but we weren't worried until now because we're going to upgrade the vehicle. Can anyone offer any advice?
Old 06-15-2016, 04:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W204 C220 avantgarde
Hello guys,
sorry for my low level english,I have an issue about camera installation on my car that is a W204 2012 facelift French version,so I have a COMAND system but NOT online:
When I enter in engineering menu I can't see any option about videoaux?
I need a video interface?
Can you help me?
Many thanks
Stefano.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W204 C220 avantgarde
The menu appears like this:

How I must move?
Old 02-03-2018, 09:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG!
Reverse cam

Originally Posted by VaderSS
First of all… Thanks To:
Rick Hunter… for your great install with Pictures & RCA extension recommendation.
TJ @ MidCity Engineeringgood tip in putting the camera cable in the headliner. Took only 10 minutes!Guess that made up for the long time I spent on tucking away all cables in the front… You weren’t kidding when you said it was difficult installing this with the Factory iPod kit!)

I went a little different route than Rick… I wanted to see if I could get the camera centered a little more and higher up to conceal the camera.

If you haven’t seen Rick’s post… READ IT FIRST! https://mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=254208
I do not reference what he has already gone over…. This install is in a different location than his.

This is in no way a replacement for Rick’s post… He did a GREAT job and inspired me to do this. Think of mine as a supplement to his….

Car Specs… 2008 C350, P2, MM, Factory iPod kit, uhhh the rest I don’t think matter?
**Additional item I used not included in the kit: 12’ RCA extension so I would not have to wire the camera ‘stuff’ in the front.

I make no claims that this is the way to do it or warranty this install in any way… if you choose to follow this, it is on your own accord and I accept no liability. I agree with Rick Hunter (who I do not claim to know, but like what he posts!) and hope this DIY encourages others to write more DIY’s. This Post is just to document how I personally installed this kit! (Sad that we have to put in these disclaimers now days!)

Here is my DIY on the install of MidCity’s Reverse Camera Kit w/Video in Motion.

I basically started from the front. Installed the VIM in the dash – *see MidCity Engineering install video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_5Fkawy-_g. Ran the RCA extension to the drivers side ‘A’ pillar. Up and over the headliner. Fed the RCA jack to the trunk. Wired up the power & ground to the reverse light harness. Then played with the camera mounting and alignment. Here we go!

Attachment 384704

I chose to mount the camera in the center most cut out location. The reason behind my logic was the camera would be more concealed (higher up) by mounting it to the trunk instead of the decorative piece. You can see this in the 4th picture where others mount it to the plastic. I got another 1/4 inch higher by mounting it to the trunk!

Attachment 384705

Put masking tape on the outer edges you will be doing test fittings often….. I know, a stupid step….. Until you scratch the car!

Attachment 384706

After decorative piece is removed…

Attachment 384707

I removed the yellow snap pin and got ready to make the camera mounting hole. This snap pin is not needed there are two (2) Torx screws (1” to the left & 2.5” to the right). Basically there are 8 mounting locations for this piece… I think it can loose one!

Attachment 384708

Tools for camera hole… Drill, Multi-Step Bit, Files (flat & round), Grinder / Dremel and PATIENCE!

Attachment 384709

The hole is elongated for a reason… after a few test fits I realized that I could get it a little higher & not pinch the camera wire.

Attachment 384710

It’s very important to not get to carried away & cut the decorative piece alignment tab! Because it lines up with the alignment pin in the picture below.

Attachment 384711

I used the existing hole, so I would not have to drill the car to install the camera mount. I drilled a hole at the front of the camera mount and bolted it in to the car.

Attachment 384712

I also took off the double stick tape and just put a little piece of masking tape (alot thinner & protects the paint from scratches) which got me almost a 1/4 inch higher!

Attachment 384713

Went back and forth with the grinding to get it evenly spaced. There is some fudge factor with the bolted mount.

Attachment 384714

I ran the wire where TJ (MidCity Engineering) suggested above the drivers side headliner…. This was the fastest part of the install! Literally 10 minutes! From removing the top half of the door molding, running the wire (gets held in by the insulation, i.e. no rattles)

Attachment 384715

Just like Rick’s Post the same outer wires but this is on the Drivers side.

Attachment 384716

I decided to tie wrap the camera ‘unit’ so that it appears professional.

Attachment 384717

You can see how low it is….. Not to bad though.

Attachment 384718

After adjustment… you can still see it but does not look out of place…

Attachment 384719

I can see more dirt on my car than the camera….

hey where did you order the cam... and did it come with the relay?
Old 03-14-2021, 11:47 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
w211 e350 4MATIC
Sorry to resurrect this post, but im trying to hook up backup camera, i couldn't find the right cables to connect, any suggestions would be welcome.

Old 03-15-2021, 03:39 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Mercedes C220 AMG Style
Originally Posted by baris41
Sorry to resurrect this post, but im trying to hook up backup camera, i couldn't find the right cables to connect, any suggestions would be welcome.

Easy! The negative wire can go to any screw on the chassis. Any ground point...

The positive wire, for always on camera, fuse 71.

​​​
The following users liked this post:
baris41 (03-15-2021)