Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > C-Class (W204)
Anyone notice the C Class just knocked the 3 Series off for top sales.. >

Anyone notice the C Class just knocked the 3 Series off for top sales..

Notices
C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Anyone notice the C Class just knocked the 3 Series off for top sales..

 
Old 10-01-2008, 08:51 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 446
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 C 300 Sport, '01 SL 500 & '08 Nissan Frontier SE Crew Cab 4WD
Anyone notice the C Class just knocked the 3 Series off for top sales..

Got this info off another site, what do you guys think? Personally I love our W204 but hate seeing one on every block like I do, I know the saturation is going to hurt re-sell value tremendously just like it has done to the W203. I'm seeing nice low millage W203's in the low $20K and even into the high teens. I bet withing the first quarter of '09 you will be able to pick up a base model W204 C300 for $20K or less.

September 2008 - Luxury Car Sales

The C, E, and S are all on top...

Entry CUV
1. X3 - 1,400
2. EX - 1,279
3. RDX - 908

Pre-Entry-Level
1. TSX - 2,144
2. C30/S40/V50 - 806
3. 1-Series - 663
4. A3 - 287

Entry-Level
1. C - 6,772
2. 3 - 6,303
3. CTS - 4,360
4. A4/5 - 4,214
5. ES - 4,042
6. G35/37 - 3,797
7. IS - 3,044
8. TL - 3,017
9. MKZ - 1,578
10. 9-3 - 1,281
11. S60 - 470

Mid-Level
1. E - 2,968
2. 5 - 2,423
3. MKS - 1,814
4. A6/S6 - 1,090
5. M - 1,077
6. GS - 977
7. STS - 856
8. S80 - 578
9. RL - 259
10. 9-5 - 176

Flagship
1. S-Class - 1,591
2. LS - 1,238
3. 7-Series - 534
4. A8/S8 - 261

Hyundai Genesis - 1,029
CarGuru is offline  
Old 10-02-2008, 12:07 AM
  #2  
hmc
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: California
Posts: 102
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C300 Sport 6MT
3/5 didn't offer as much discount as C/E did.
hmc is offline  
Old 10-02-2008, 12:10 AM
  #3  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 174
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 BMW 335i Coupe (Six-speed Manual)
You have to be kidding yourself if you think a German car is really that exclusive.

Looks like people are giving the Genesis a serious go.
jherbias is offline  
Old 10-02-2008, 12:22 AM
  #4  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
chilledbenz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: United States
Posts: 1,828
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Doesn't surprise me one bit that a newly remodeled car out sold the older models of other manufacturers, although it did it by some what of a slim margin. It will be real interesting to see how the numbers hold up once the new A4 and refreshed 3 hit for 09.

The real big shocker here is that the E class out sold all the other models in its class. I'm going to venture a guess and say its the heavy discounts being offered right now due to the fact its the last year before the new car arrives. To be in the lead at this point is quite amazing to me considering how well the BMW 5 always does and how old the E class is.
chilledbenz is offline  
Old 10-02-2008, 02:21 AM
  #5  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Dema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: California
Posts: 2,677
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i535
Genesis is like getting S class for price of C class.
Dema is offline  
Old 10-02-2008, 03:09 AM
  #6  
MBworld Guru
 
FrankW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Diamond Bar, CA
Posts: 22,007
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
white and whiter
sales volumn has little to do with re-sale value unless you are buying ENZO or Carrera GT.
FrankW is offline  
Old 10-02-2008, 11:41 AM
  #7  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Derspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,423
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
Originally Posted by Dema View Post
Genesis is like getting S class for price of C class.
I wouldn't go that far. While Hyundai makes some impressive vehicles, they still seem to fall short in the fit and finish areas compared the cars they supposedly compete with. Take one out for a spin some time. You'll see what I mean.
Derspeed is offline  
Old 10-02-2008, 12:14 PM
  #8  
Super Member
 
Devastator187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: California
Posts: 556
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Sport C-300, 2003 Accord Coupe V6
Originally Posted by Dema View Post
Genesis is like getting S class for price of C class.


I like your sarcasm...oh wait, you're not....
Devastator187 is offline  
Old 10-02-2008, 02:06 PM
  #9  
Super Member
 
jstaneff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Seattle
Posts: 648
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C-300, XC70, Wrangler
I wonder how much the price of gas depressed this market?
jstaneff is offline  
Old 10-02-2008, 07:15 PM
  #10  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
aowhaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,044
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C300 Sport 4matic
The Genesis is a very impressive car.
The V8 is a great engine and the design of the interior is beautiful, especially with the matte wood trim and the rich looking brown leather -- it reminds me of a mix between the interior of the BMW 7-series and the S-class.
If only they could make the exterior more destinctive. It looks like a 5-series copy, though the ribcage-like badgeless grill is a nice subtle touch.

It's nice to hear the C is making an impact into the sales of the 3-series, but I don't my C to look too commonplace on the streets.
aowhaus is offline  
Old 10-02-2008, 11:20 PM
  #11  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Dema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: California
Posts: 2,677
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i535
Off topic, does anybody know a good web forum related to Genesis?
Dema is offline  
Old 10-02-2008, 11:33 PM
  #12  
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
RLE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: SEATTLE WASHINGTON USA
Posts: 3,986
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Genesis

Originally Posted by Dema View Post
Genesis is like getting S class for price of C class.
You don't honestly believe that W221 S-Class customers would even consider a Genesis, surely? The car is not even on their horizon.

Not to say that the Genesis isn't a hell of a package, but at that price something (you think?) had to go.
RLE is offline  
Old 10-02-2008, 11:35 PM
  #13  
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
RLE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: SEATTLE WASHINGTON USA
Posts: 3,986
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Resale

Originally Posted by FrankW View Post
sales volumn has little to do with re-sale value unless you are buying ENZO or Carrera GT.
You obviously never owned a W203.
RLE is offline  
Old 10-03-2008, 12:04 AM
  #14  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Dema's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: California
Posts: 2,677
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i535
Obviously S customers won’t buy Genesis, however people who can’t afford S class may feel like having a good substitution.
Dema is offline  
Old 10-03-2008, 01:21 AM
  #15  
MBworld Guru
 
FrankW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Diamond Bar, CA
Posts: 22,007
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
white and whiter
Originally Posted by RLE View Post
You obviously never owned a W203.
did you turn off your brain for the day?

dude, read my sig. last I checked C32 AMG is a W203 and it's resale = ****. over from 2002-2006 MBUSA sold LESS C32/55 AMGs combined than half of the BMW M3 coupes sales figure.

explain why C32/55 has less resale value than the BMW M3.

BMW also sold more E46 in the US along than the W203. please also explain why the E46 resale is also better than W203.

please do shut up if you have no clue.

Last edited by FrankW; 10-03-2008 at 01:23 AM.
FrankW is offline  
Old 10-03-2008, 02:00 AM
  #16  
Super Moderator
 
splinter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 3,354
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek
Originally Posted by FrankW View Post
did you turn off your brain for the day?...
One would suspect you’re only slightly perturbed because some here have no sense of its potential when properly modified. While I’ve appropriate respect for BMW’s E46 M3 as they are certainly worthy machines, mine has surprised more than a few during vigorous off-highway encounters.

That one member’s lowly C32 has depreciated ~$10k during its 30 months’ of tutelage is largely inconsequential when factored into my transportation/arsewhipping budget.

They're well worth its relatively minuscule price of admission, IMHO.
splinter is offline  
Old 10-03-2008, 05:32 AM
  #17  
MBworld Guru
 
FrankW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Diamond Bar, CA
Posts: 22,007
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
white and whiter
Originally Posted by splinter View Post
One would suspect you’re only slightly perturbed because some here have no sense of its potential when properly modified. While I’ve appropriate respect for BMW’s E46 M3 as they are certainly worthy machines, mine has surprised more than a few during vigorous off-highway encounters.

That one member’s lowly C32 has depreciated ~$10k during its 30 months’ of tutelage is largely inconsequential when factored into my transportation/arsewhipping budget.

They're well worth its relatively minuscule price of admission, IMHO.
resale john, I'm saying sales volumn as little to do with the resale of the car unless the car itself were limited production or great fan favorite.

performance per dollar the C32's bar-none especially when you modify it.
FrankW is offline  
Old 10-03-2008, 01:08 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Mission Viejo, California
Posts: 392
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 c350 SG - 2004 c240 Wagon BS
I see more new W204's on the road every day. It seems like the most popular new car out here. There are just tons of 'em.

Perhaps only the Honda Accord is more prevalent around here.

I expect to see lots of new Mazda 6's soon...
wblynch is offline  
Old 10-03-2008, 01:38 PM
  #19  
Super Member
 
myinternetsucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fresno, Central California
Posts: 518
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Merc C300 sport, arctic white, P1, MM/Navi, iPod kit, 20% Tint, C63 Grill, X-Pipe, HID DDM Kit
I got sonic the hedgehog for genesis...
myinternetsucks is offline  
Old 10-03-2008, 02:20 PM
  #20  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 568
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1963 220Sb
The main reason the C outsold the 3 was because supplies of the 3 are dwindling because of the changeover to the facelifted model.
PHYBENZ is offline  
Old 10-03-2008, 04:05 PM
  #21  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Ron Jr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Long Island, New York
Posts: 2,824
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C300 Sport Black Darth V3.0
Originally Posted by myinternetsucks View Post
I got sonic the hedgehog for genesis...
I still have mine hooked up to the TV in the game room have over 100 carts for it. Some good games for that platform sure they look old but they are old. Speaking of the Hyundai the sheet metal is very thin on those, wouldn't want to be in one in a crash.

Last edited by Ron Jr; 10-03-2008 at 04:09 PM.
Ron Jr is offline  
Old 10-03-2008, 07:35 PM
  #22  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 174
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 BMW 335i Coupe (Six-speed Manual)
Originally Posted by Ron Jr View Post
I still have mine hooked up to the TV in the game room have over 100 carts for it. Some good games for that platform sure they look old but they are old. Speaking of the Hyundai the sheet metal is very thin on those, wouldn't want to be in one in a crash.
Sheet metal is going to collapse in ANY car during an impact. It's the crash structure that protects people. Did you not see those commercials?

The Genesis got a 5-star rating from the NHTSA.
jherbias is offline  
Old 10-03-2008, 07:51 PM
  #23  
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
RLE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: SEATTLE WASHINGTON USA
Posts: 3,986
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
values

Originally Posted by FrankW View Post
did you turn off your brain for the day?

dude, read my sig. last I checked C32 AMG is a W203 and it's resale = ****. over from 2002-2006 MBUSA sold LESS C32/55 AMGs combined than half of the BMW M3 coupes sales figure.

explain why C32/55 has less resale value than the BMW M3.

BMW also sold more E46 in the US along than the W203. please also explain why the E46 resale is also better than W203. please do shut up if you have no clue.
I can't figure out what you are going on about. First, your little "sig" tells nothing at all including whatever car you drive, if any. As for your cryptic little post:

<<<sales volumn has little to do with re-sale value unless you are buying ENZO or Carrera GT.>>

Nobody is talking about C32s vs M3s on this page, far as I can see. Your claim that sales volume has nothing to do with resale is refuted by the following fact.

My 1995 C280, which was similarly equipped to my 2001 C320, had similar mileage, was the same age and was in the same condition when traded but cost LESS when new was valued at $3000 MORE at trade-in than the C320.

And why was that? Two factors. There were far more W203s sold than W202s and the other was the inferior reliabilty of the W203 which was well known.

And don't call me dude.
RLE is offline  
Old 10-03-2008, 08:58 PM
  #24  
MBworld Guru
 
FrankW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Diamond Bar, CA
Posts: 22,007
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
white and whiter
Originally Posted by RLE View Post
I can't figure out what you are going on about. First, your little "sig" tells nothing at all including whatever car you drive, if any. As for your cryptic little post:

<<<sales volumn has little to do with re-sale value unless you are buying ENZO or Carrera GT.>>

Nobody is talking about C32s vs M3s on this page, far as I can see. Your claim that sales volume has nothing to do with resale is refuted by the following fact.

My 1995 C280, which was similarly equipped to my 2001 C320, had similar mileage, was the same age and was in the same condition when traded but cost LESS when new was valued at $3000 MORE at trade-in than the C320.

And why was that? Two factors. There were far more W203s sold than W202s and the other was the inferior reliabilty of the W203 which was well known.

And don't call me dude.


here's what's in my "signature" below EVERY post said other than the OBVIOUS picture

2002 W203 M112K with insane amount of mods
2008 W204 M272 with not so much mods.
Why? I can tell you why. 1995 C280 and 2001 C320 spread 6 years apart and by the time you traded in your 2001 C320 that's 12 years apart. Different time, different market value based on the economy at the time. It has little to do with the fact MB sold more W203 than the W202. I'm not going to be surprised if MB sells more W204 than the W203 by the time W204 is replaced. resale value of that car will be determined then based on the economy by that time. reliability and market value at the time determines the resale value of a car the most. sales volume plays very little parts.

perhaps you want to tell me WHY my cousin in-law's 97 Honda Civic coupe was sold for $3100 just last month while my brother's 97 BMW 528i is worth the same on bluebook with similar amount of mileage. is it because BMW sold more 5-series than the Civic? ($50k vs less than $18k when both were new) OR is it because the current economy calls for a small car that is more fuel efficient?

no one is talking about the C32 and M3, correct, but these two cars are the perfect example why your argument is . C32 and M3 aside, the BMW E46 also out sold the W203 by great amount of numbers do you want to tell me why the E46s in our market are worth more than the W203s?

also just FYI, my 2000 Beetle 1.8T's resale value went up nearly $1000 from the time I traded in for the C350 to now. Why? because the market is in demand for these small and fuel efficient small cars.

and Miss, I'm sorry for calling you a dude.

Last edited by FrankW; 10-03-2008 at 09:00 PM.
FrankW is offline  
Old 10-03-2008, 10:58 PM
  #25  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,320
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
You also tend to see the car and manufacturer of car you drive more often, IMHO. They catch your eye more.
mac911 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone notice the C Class just knocked the 3 Series off for top sales..


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: