C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

REAR BRAKE DUST NO MORE!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 Sport
Any Mercedes dealership that is denying this TSB should be reported to MBUSA or even Stuttgart...
The TSB is an admission by Mercedes that a true fault exists in production and any dealer or agent/representative of MB that is denying this TSB exists is flatout lying and should be reported to MB Worldwide, MBUSA, any dealership associtation and any BBB or local business/consumer watchdog groups.
Denying this TSB is dispicible business practice and should not be tolerated...
Don't let them get away with this...
Old 04-16-2009, 05:37 PM

C350
the thing is i don't think they even knew about it... when they got my VIN, no TSB's or Recall's popped up, but when I gave them the TSB number, they said it did apply to my car??? they weren't lying either, the guy showed me a prinout of EVERYTHING about my car, inlcuding everything that like carfax would tell u about my car and ANY service bulletins or recalls that would go under a certain category was empty. TSB's are meant so when if you have a problem and the dealership diagnoses your car, when the dealership tries to repair it they see a TSB is already available saying to the dealership how to fix it. The point is mercedes doesn't want people randomly saying they have problems with their car when they really don't. BUT no one would ever think that when you have excessive brake dust, there would ever be a TSB for that. You would just think that its normal and every car has it. please post your responses of what you think
Old 04-17-2009, 12:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a durr
why do you guys get brake dust on the rear? i only get mine on the front.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:23 AM

C300 Sport
Originally Posted by mat2hu
the thing is i don't think they even knew about it... when they got my VIN, no TSB's or Recall's popped up, but when I gave them the TSB number, they said it did apply to my car??? they weren't lying either, the guy showed me a prinout of EVERYTHING about my car, inlcuding everything that like carfax would tell u about my car and ANY service bulletins or recalls that would go under a certain category was empty. TSB's are meant so when if you have a problem and the dealership diagnoses your car, when the dealership tries to repair it they see a TSB is already available saying to the dealership how to fix it. The point is mercedes doesn't want people randomly saying they have problems with their car when they really don't. BUT no one would ever think that when you have excessive brake dust, there would ever be a TSB for that. You would just think that its normal and every car has it. please post your responses of what you think
I have never had a real-wheel drive car that had more brake dust in the rear than in the front...
I noticed the problem right away and mentioned it to my SA and he said I was right that it wasn't normal and he would check on it. When I finally brought it in for some other minor things I told him I saw a TSB posted and asked me to email it to him. Once he looked it up he told me that he spoke to the Service manager and he said we will order the pads and fix it under warranty. It was just that simple...as it should be once they see the TSB. My SA said there are so many TSB's that sometimes they miss them.

Last edited by C300PO; 04-17-2009 at 03:26 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:24 AM

C300 Sport
Originally Posted by yooker
That is how most normally functioning FWD cars should be...
Old 04-17-2009, 09:31 AM

'14 GLK250 Diesel
Well, I'm happy to see that those who want it fixed, have for the most part, gotten it done.

That said, I also have to observe that the level of obsessing about this has rather surprised me. Our car is past both the mileage and time to get it done at no charge, and it just doesn't bother me enough to make the issue of it that some of you have.

At 16k miles, and now going on 21 months, we have had no problems with our car at all. The amount of dust I see on the wheels is pretty comparable to every other German car I've owned in the past 30 years....if anything, I'd say it's a bit less than our W203 C240. That's not to say I wouldn't welcome a pad choice that makes it better - who wouldn't? But the heat that this issue seems to have produced here isn't something I share.

At the rate I'm going, I won't need pads until at least 50k miles, maybe more. I have no problem living with what the car came with until then.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:48 AM

Lexus IS 350 F Sport
Since im over the mileage and date restrictions ( 17K and a year and a half old ) Ill just get the pads and lining from the parts department and have one of my friends install i am certain whatever the price would be worth it as its been said from those who had this done already ....10 plus miles after a wash and the wheels are still clean wow !!!
Old 04-17-2009, 11:06 AM

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
2022 GLE450
Originally Posted by omgitselaine
Since im over the mileage and date restrictions ( 17K and a year and a half old ) Ill just get the pads and lining from the parts department and have one of my friends install i am certain whatever the price would be worth it as its been said from those who had this done already ....10 plus miles after a wash and the wheels are still clean wow !!!
you say 10, its like 150 miles and shinny rims still, livign the dream!!!
Old 04-17-2009, 07:13 PM

C350
Originally Posted by hutch300
This might sound sad, but this might be the best thing that has happened to me this year!

Even if you guys are past the mileage or time limit it is will worth the $$$. Brake pads are pretty cheap and labor should be reasonable. Especially if you value clean wheels and you count the number of labor hours it takes to clean off the brake dust every week...it's a no brainer. Just think of what you can do with all that extra time!!! I highly recommend it!
Old 04-17-2009, 07:38 PM

2008 C300 4matic

That's easy. It comes from driving in reverse!
Old 04-17-2009, 09:02 PM

Lexus IS 350 F Sport
Well i meant after getting the ride nice and shiney .....id drive not even 10 miles then id have the dust on the wheels already and uughhh what a pain in the *** i hopefully will have this done really sooon
Old 04-18-2009, 03:45 AM

C350
elaine have u tried going to the dealership even?? I think depending on your SA, MAYBE JUST MAYBE if they don't want to be jerks they could let you off with it. I could be wrong though, i can't wait im getting mine tommorow and I really wanna see the difference. i also heard they are gonna wash my car and its been pretty dirty recently, lets see how it goes...
Old 04-18-2009, 06:46 AM

Lexus IS 350 F Sport
elaine have u tried going to the dealership even?? I think depending on your SA, MAYBE JUST MAYBE if they don't want to be jerks they could let you off with it. I could be wrong though, i can't wait im getting mine tommorow and I really wanna see the difference. i also heard they are gonna wash my car and its been pretty dirty recently, lets see how it goes...
I havent actually gone to the dealership yet but when i called a few weeks back they of course played dumb to the entire thing saying "we're not aware of such an issue with the brakes" so im not expecting a lot of cooperation from them regarding getting this done as a TSB so im trying to make it simple and just get the part instead Good luck with your appointment and oh i'd steer away from the dealership "free" wash since as its often been said they'll simply do a lousy job and cause more damage than it's worth ...just a fyi ??

Last edited by omgitselaine; 04-18-2009 at 06:51 AM.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:50 PM

C350
NO! THE CARWASH WAS INCREDIBLE!!!!! The guy pretty much gave me a FULL detail with outside and inside!!! they washed all of my leather on the inside, vacuumed the carpets, cleaned the rims and tires, and even added an air freshener which smells really good. as for the brakes... WOWOWOOWOW!!! They stop REALLY good! literally like I feel like my brakes just got twice as strong!! It gives me a really good reassuring feeling under my foot now and as soon as I tap the brakes the car just stops, not even like my body moving or anything. the car just stops. BTW elaine I wrote down the correct TSB number, go to the dealership and tell them the TSB number, they cannot deny that. If they do, please post it because then they will be f***ed over. The brake pads look aftermarket-ish from the outside and i like it. I also had slight brake squealing and now that problem is gone too. this is the TSB number: P-B-42.10/100B just go to the dealership and tell them this TSB number, they should take care of the rest. BTW i think they did a good job on the wash because the guy told me to give him a good report for his survery. Just tell the guy that you will give him all 10's on his survey if he hooks u up and I promise he will do whatever he can to help u.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:16 AM

Lexus IS 350 F Sport
NO! THE CARWASH WAS INCREDIBLE!!!!! The guy pretty much gave me a FULL detail with outside and inside!!! they washed all of my leather on the inside, vacuumed the carpets, cleaned the rims and tires, and even added an air freshener which smells really good. as for the brakes... WOWOWOOWOW!!! They stop REALLY good! literally like I feel like my brakes just got twice as strong!! It gives me a really good reassuring feeling under my foot now and as soon as I tap the brakes the car just stops, not even like my body moving or anything. the car just stops. BTW elaine I wrote down the correct TSB number, go to the dealership and tell them the TSB number, they cannot deny that. If they do, please post it because then they will be f***ed over. The brake pads look aftermarket-ish from the outside and i like it. I also had slight brake squealing and now that problem is gone too. this is the TSB number: P-B-42.10/100B just go to the dealership and tell them this TSB number, they should take care of the rest. BTW i think they did a good job on the wash because the guy told me to give him a good report for his survery. Just tell the guy that you will give him all 10's on his survey if he hooks u up and I promise he will do whatever he can to help u.
Thank you kindly for all the info and the TSB # again !! Im very happy to hear that you were very pleased with not only the pads and lack of dust now but with the overall experience at the dealership including their wash
Old 04-20-2009, 09:53 PM

C350
lol the brakes probably feel really good because I abused my brakes so much... I really want to know though how much this would have costed if I didn't get it done before my first year??
Old 04-21-2009, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a durr
Originally Posted by C300PO
That is how most normally functioning FWD cars should be...
I don't drive FWD, enlighten me on why FWD has more brake dust in the front.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:22 AM

C300 Sport
I don't drive FWD, enlighten me on why FWD has more brake dust in the front.
my typo...RWD...apologies...
Old 04-24-2009, 01:48 PM
Almost a Member!

C300
Originally Posted by omgitselaine

I just got my rear wheel pad replaced for free from dealer couple days ago.

When I called my dealer first time, I gave them TSB number and I told them my car was 1 year 4 month old but I only had 7.5k miles on it. The SA denied free replacement due to time overage and asked me $250 for the job. she said that they would like to do that for good faith something.. but MB would not recognize the work and the dealer had to eat up the cost. So I called MB USA and they hooked me up with one of their case manager. He listen my argument, contacted my dealer for details (their side of story), and called me back saying that TSB is not a recall, it is just instruction for service man to follow to resolve the issue they encounter. and there is no warranty coverage(12month or 12kmile) attached to this particular TSB. Dealer has no record about the excessive rear brake dust problem complaining from me in the past (Of course. I am not a complaining person). However, if I felt that the excessive rear brake dust was abnormal and if the dealer would acknowledge it then it should be covered by normal warranty. (4yrs/50kmile) and he said he would support me.

Right after I hung up with MB USA case manager, I went to dealer again and talked to different Service manager. After he heard my case, talked to his boss, and looked up their computer for TSB, then he agreed to replace the rear brake pad for free under good faith something.. ( I forgot) He also emphasized that "ONLY ONE TIME".

What I am saying is that according to the MB USA personal said, the TSB has no warranty info associate with. Therefore, you might still have the chance with your car to get the rear pad replaced.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:07 PM

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
2022 GLE450
all i know is my rims are cleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan
Old 04-24-2009, 02:15 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I am the person who started this thread, and I have had the new pads done, but I am still unclear aboput what pads they put in, weather they are covered, or paid for out of pocket, the very worst thing would be to go to the parts counter, they look up the pads based on the year, and you get the same dirty pads, is there an updated pad with a different part number or is the only part number in the system a different formulation, my rears now are almost totally clean all the time, it is like christmass morning each time I look at the car compared to a year of the black rear wheels. Each time I see a new C with black wheels I want to yell out to them they do not have to put up with it.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:40 PM

Lexus IS 350 F Sport
all i know is my rims are cleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan
POOOUUTING here Im so jealous !!! Glad you got shiney clean wheels though !
Old 04-24-2009, 02:43 PM

Lexus IS 350 F Sport
Originally Posted by mikefili
I am the person who started this thread, and I have had the new pads done, but I am still unclear aboput what pads they put in, weather they are covered, or paid for out of pocket, the very worst thing would be to go to the parts counter, they look up the pads based on the year, and you get the same dirty pads, is there an updated pad with a different part number or is the only part number in the system a different formulation, my rears now are almost totally clean all the time, it is like christmass morning each time I look at the car compared to a year of the black rear wheels. Each time I see a new C with black wheels I want to yell out to them they do not have to put up with it.
Ha i felt the same way when i had a IS250 a couple of years ago and Lexus also had a TSB for the front brakes and i got mine done and puufff clean wheels but to this day i still see these IS's with dirty front wheels I can only imagine how you feel every morning as if its christmas !!! You are correct about going to the parts department and getting the same darn pads that causes the dusting thus why ive been procrastinating from going even though the MB dealer is like 10 minutes from my house ??
Old 04-27-2009, 12:53 PM

99 DC2, 08 C350
took my car in for service this weekend, mentioned the brake dust and took in the TSB number with me. my car was just over the 1 yr warranty by 1 week and they ended up taking care of me. big ups to House of Imports in Buena Park for taking care of me. Didn't give me any runaround.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:48 PM

2009 C350
i have a 2009 but i still notice quite a bit more rear break dust than front. Is that normal? or is that what everyone's talking about? but i remember reading from somewhere that they fixed it on 09s?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: REAR BRAKE DUST NO MORE!