Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > C-Class (W204)
2009 C350 -Transmission Jerk From 1st to 2nd Gear Shift >

2009 C350 -Transmission Jerk From 1st to 2nd Gear Shift

Notices
C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

2009 C350 -Transmission Jerk From 1st to 2nd Gear Shift

 
Old 05-30-2009, 08:25 PM
  #1  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2009 C350
2009 C350 -Transmission Jerk From 1st to 2nd Gear Shift

I bought a brand new 2009 C350 in Nov. Now has 8k miles on it.

When I start the car, when the engine is cold, the transmission jerks from 1st to 2nd gear shift (Both in C and S modes). Only happens when the engine is cold at the first start. Is this normal?
ET_Skipper is offline  
Old 05-30-2009, 09:45 PM
  #2  
Member
 
jamaicakevkev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kingston Jamaica
Posts: 88
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2007 Avalanche LT, 2009 C300
don't know if this is normal but know I dislike this 7 speed transmission big time... seems like trouble coming down the road don't plan on keeping mine 2 long
jamaicakevkev is offline  
Old 05-30-2009, 10:00 PM
  #3  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2009 C350
Originally Posted by jamaicakevkev View Post
don't know if this is normal but know I dislike this 7 speed transmission big time... seems like trouble coming down the road don't plan on keeping mine 2 long
Do you get that jerk too?
ET_Skipper is offline  
Old 05-30-2009, 11:08 PM
  #4  
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
RLE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: SEATTLE WASHINGTON USA
Posts: 3,986
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Jerk!

Originally Posted by ET_Skipper View Post
I bought a brand new 2009 C350 in Nov. Now has 8k miles on it.

When I start the car, when the engine is cold, the transmission jerks from 1st to 2nd gear shift (Both in C and S modes). Only happens when the engine is cold at the first start. Is this normal?
Why are you not asking this question at your dealer?

Of course it isn't normal. And BTW, I love the 7speed. Vastly better than the old 5 speeder in my W203.
RLE is offline  
Old 05-30-2009, 11:34 PM
  #5  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Nevada Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 5,517
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by jamaicakevkev View Post
don't know if this is normal but know I dislike this 7 speed transmission big time... seems like trouble coming down the road don't plan on keeping mine 2 long
The 7 speed tranny is probably the most successful transmission MB has produced. I have had it on 4 different models and with the 5.5 liter engine is a match made in heaven. I have had my C now for a month or so and have a 1000 miles on it. The transmission is getting closer to perfection as it adapts to my driving style. If you have some jerking between 1 and 2nd then get your dealer to flash the software and if that doens't fix it, persist until they eliminate it.

This transmission is going nowhere so best get used to it.
Nevada Jack is offline  
Old 05-30-2009, 11:43 PM
  #6  
Member
 
jamaicakevkev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kingston Jamaica
Posts: 88
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2007 Avalanche LT, 2009 C300
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack View Post
The 7 speed tranny is probably the most successful transmission MB has produced. I have had it on 4 different models and with the 5.5 liter engine is a match made in heaven. I have had my C now for a month or so and have a 1000 miles on it. The transmission is getting closer to perfection as it adapts to my driving style. If you have some jerking between 1 and 2nd then get your dealer to flash the software and if that doens't fix it, persist until they eliminate it.

This transmission is going nowhere so best get used to it.
Not bashing the transmission just saying that I am uncomfortable with it. when switching from D to R or vise versa there is this weird delay and even when I drove it today with 1900 miles on the clock it just didn't inspire confidence that this will be a long lasting trouble free transmission.... It gave me the same uneasy feeling just like when I first drove this car home from my dealer 5 months ago. Having driven Hondas toyotas and lexus hey even my chevy Avalanches I truly dislike this transmission I always believe simpler is better and think this thing is just overly complicated. Since my car was brought down here gray market, I have to be concerned about the life of my transmission since I probably have no warranty.

I feel a little better after reading your post and truly hope for my sake that this will be a trouble free transmission.
jamaicakevkev is offline  
Old 05-30-2009, 11:47 PM
  #7  
Member
 
jamaicakevkev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kingston Jamaica
Posts: 88
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2007 Avalanche LT, 2009 C300
Originally Posted by ET_Skipper View Post
Do you get that jerk too?
NO jerk from 1st to 2nd ... but I get what feels subtle but still weird gear selections and an awkward delay when switching direction from like R to D.
jamaicakevkev is offline  
Old 05-30-2009, 11:49 PM
  #8  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2009 C350
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack View Post
The 7 speed tranny is probably the most successful transmission MB has produced. I have had it on 4 different models and with the 5.5 liter engine is a match made in heaven. I have had my C now for a month or so and have a 1000 miles on it. The transmission is getting closer to perfection as it adapts to my driving style. If you have some jerking between 1 and 2nd then get your dealer to flash the software and if that doens't fix it, persist until they eliminate it.

This transmission is going nowhere so best get used to it.
When you say "flash the software" do you mean reset the software? If that does not work what else can be done? Thanks a million
ET_Skipper is offline  
Old 05-30-2009, 11:51 PM
  #9  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Nevada Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 5,517
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by jamaicakevkev View Post
Not bashing the transmission just saying that I am uncomfortable with it. when switching from D to R or vise versa there is this weird delay and even when I drove it today with 1900 miles on the clock it just didn't inspire confidence that this will be a long lasting trouble free transmission.... It gave me the same uneasy feeling just like when I first drove this car home from my dealer 5 months ago. Having driven Hondas toyotas and lexus hey even my chevy Avalanches I truly dislike this transmission I always believe simpler is better and think this thing is just overly complicated. Since my car was brought down here gray market, I have to be concerned about the life of my transmission since I probably have no warranty.

I feel a little better after reading your post and truly hope for my sake that this will be a trouble free transmission.
Early models of this tranny had problems with jerky 1st to 2nd changes, especially on coming to a stop. Most of these problems have been eliminated and I think your dealer should be able to deal with it.

It really is a fine transmission but as with anything MB makes, driving with no warranty can be a costly adventure...:-)
Nevada Jack is offline  
Old 05-30-2009, 11:56 PM
  #10  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Nevada Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 5,517
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by ET_Skipper View Post
When you say "flash the software" do you mean reset the software? If that does not work what else can be done? Thanks a million
Yes... they reset the transmission software. If the problem persists, then the dealer should diagnose the problem and find out why.

You may also do a search and find out how to reset the ECU (?) by pressing the accelerator to the floor with the key in position 2 for a period of time and then shutting it off. It basically sets the default of the transmission shifting so that you start fresh on the "adaptive" features which is based on your driving patterns.
Nevada Jack is offline  
Old 05-31-2009, 12:05 AM
  #11  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2009 C350
Originally Posted by Nevada Jack View Post
Yes... they reset the transmission software. If the problem persists, then the dealer should diagnose the problem and find out why.

You may also do a search and find out how to reset the ECU (?) by pressing the accelerator to the floor with the key in position 2 for a period of time and then shutting it off. It basically sets the default of the transmission shifting so that you start fresh on the "adaptive" features which is based on your driving patterns.
Thanks, do you recommend I reset the ECU and see if it helps before taking the car to the dealer? I know the dealer will say "we could not replicate the problem" because when I take the car to them the engine will not be cold and it won't jerk between 1st and 2nd?
ET_Skipper is offline  
Old 05-31-2009, 12:56 AM
  #12  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
joshg1001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 1,888
Thanks: 0
Thanked 37 Times in 33 Posts
2017 E300
i dont get it on 1st to 2nd, but when im going up a hill, and it decides to shift down, the car does lurch while its shifting down. its not as smooth as it can be
joshg1001 is offline  
Old 05-31-2009, 01:07 AM
  #13  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 26
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
08 C350 Sport, Palladium Silver, Black Leather, P2, MM
The only way I can feel a shift is if I force a down shift with the shift lever. Mine is an incredibly smooth tranny.

There are two possible issues. First, driving stle may have "trained" hard downshifts in to the ECU. Try resetting the ECU, then try driving smoothly. If you still get hard shifts it is time to see the dealer.

Work with the dealer. If it only shifts hard when cold, plan on leaving your car overnight. Meat the dealer in the morning, take them for a drive and demonstrate the problem for them.
atspring is offline  
Old 05-31-2009, 02:53 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
axhoaxho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 336
Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
My wife also has a 2009 C350 Sport. She drives the car every morning since last Winter, and the car has no transmission-jerk at all. I also drive the C350 from time to time, and I didn't feel any transmission-jerk ever as well.

Regards,
axhoaxho is offline  
Old 05-31-2009, 05:51 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 291
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C350
do you mean in Tip??? my transmission jerks as well only when the engine is cold or when i go from second gear to first gear and the car isn't at a full stop but it still downshifts... i kinda like it actually but it goes away after like 5 min when the engine heats up or if i shift when the car is at a standstill i feel a little jerk as well when i shift from 1st to 2nd or vise versa; it lets me know that my car is actually changing gears and i like it.
mat2hu is offline  
Old 05-31-2009, 09:22 AM
  #16  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Nevada Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 5,517
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally Posted by ET_Skipper View Post
Thanks, do you recommend I reset the ECU and see if it helps before taking the car to the dealer? I know the dealer will say "we could not replicate the problem" because when I take the car to them the engine will not be cold and it won't jerk between 1st and 2nd?
It is worth a shot to see if it solves the problem.

The cold engine thing may be that the idle is set high when you start the car to heat up the catalytic converter and the higher rpm may be causing some of the problem. Just a thought....
Nevada Jack is offline  
Old 05-31-2009, 11:20 PM
  #17  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 1,373
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's normal as far as I am concerned. It's not a "jerk", the first 1-2 shift off a dead cold engine causes the RPMs to be held just slightly higher. And its only the very first 1-2 shift, you really have to listen carefully to notice it. I think its some kind of self check the gearbox is performing. It could be an emissions thing, but why is it only the very first 1-2 shift, the next 1-2 shift on the same cold engine doesn't exhibit this.

I have never tried letting the car idle and warm up before pulling off, to try and determine if its related to engine temp or something in the transmission.
nyca is offline  
Old 06-01-2009, 09:32 PM
  #18  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 1,373
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
correction here, its the very first 2-3 shift that does this, not the 1-2.

I let the car warm up completely today before taking off, it still holds 2nd a bit longer before making the very first 2-3 shift. So its not an emissions thing.
nyca is offline  
Old 06-01-2009, 10:11 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
len56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Davenport IA
Posts: 442
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C350
the seven speed shifts like a human, really quickly for a standard auto (not compared to a dual clutch lol)
len56 is offline  
Old 06-03-2009, 02:36 PM
  #20  
Super Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Jose
Posts: 567
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
2016 C450 AMG, 2009 C300, 2001 C320 2001 CLK430, 95 E500
I get a bit of a jerk/lerch, but when going DOWN from 3 to 2, in automatic.
tivoboy is offline  
Old 06-13-2009, 07:33 PM
  #21  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2009 C350
I left the car at the dealer yesterday night so when they work on it today the engine is cold.

The dealer said it is because of a delay in shifting gears. They called Mercedes Benz and MB did not let them do anything in the tranny. They said they are working on a software patch to solve the problem and when the software is available they can install the software. No ETA.

Thoughts?
ET_Skipper is offline  
Old 06-13-2009, 10:33 PM
  #22  
Super Moderator
 
Glyn M Ruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Llandudno, Cape Town, South Africa
Posts: 19,903
Thanked 85 Times in 69 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Sounds like BS - There have been several software updates for the 722.9 transmission & they need to flash the latest.

What I don't understand is you say it does it in both C & S. Then it's not the 1st to 2nd change that is jerky. In C mode the car pulls away in 2nd. Our 7G is absolutely smooth. These cars do hold gears longer when cold to heat the CAT quickly.
Glyn M Ruck is offline  
Old 06-13-2009, 11:39 PM
  #23  
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2009 C350
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck View Post
Sounds like BS - There have been several software updates for the 722.9 transmission & they need to flash the latest.

What I don't understand is you say it does it in both C & S. Then it's not the 1st to 2nd change that is jerky. In C mode the car pulls away in 2nd. Our 7G is absolutely smooth. These cars do hold gears longer when cold to heat the CAT quickly.
it is the first transmission shift whether it is from 1st to 2nd in S mode or from 2nd to 3rd in C mode.

Any advice on what I am supposed to tell them? "Please look at it again" or smt else. Shall I maybe call MB direct line or smt? My tranny is very smooth too it is just this first shift when the engine is cold
ET_Skipper is offline  
Old 06-14-2009, 12:49 AM
  #24  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 1,150
Thanks: 0
Thanked 22 Times in 18 Posts
190D 2.5 (x2), 190E 2.6, W202 C240,W202 C43 (C55), W210 E55, W212 E250CDI
Originally Posted by jamaicakevkev View Post
I always believe simpler is better and think this thing is just overly complicated.
If you ever got the chance to see this transmission in pieces, it's an incredibly simple transmission. The hard work has gone into the basic design and it truely is engineered simplicity. There is no small parts to break in this design, they eliminated most of them back when the 722.6 came out in 1995/1996 and they got rid of the rest when the 7 speed came out in 2004.

Most issues are solved with software and a good tech who can listen to your complaint and work out the best solution.

As for long term ownership, they are very reliable!
Ausmbtech is offline  
Old 06-14-2009, 12:58 AM
  #25  
Out Of Control!!
 
jangy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 13,394
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
2015 S212
valve body...
jangy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Quick Reply: 2009 C350 -Transmission Jerk From 1st to 2nd Gear Shift


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: