C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Please Help, Codes 2188 & 2190

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 Sport
Please Help, Codes 2188 & 2190

A few weeks ago I got this used 2006 C230 with 64,000 miles. After 2 days of driving, the engine light came on. I had the codes read and codes p2188 & p2190 came up. The codes mean that the car is running to rich at idle speed with Bank 1 & 2. The car runs and sounds fine. I checked the gas cap, replaced the air filters and checked all visable hoses and such. After resetting the check engine light twice, it still comes on after +30 miles or so. I called my local MB dealer and they want $115 for a diagnostic and over $400 depending on what they find(this +$400 is without even looking at the car). Has anyone ran into these codes before or is there something else I could try before going to the MB dealership? Thanks in advance. Bruno
Old 06-02-2009, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 Mercedes C300 4Matic
Your best bet will be to just take it to the dealership.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:33 PM

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
08 C300
maybe o2 or maf sensor?
but yes, if +$400 is too much, take it to local mechanic.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:35 PM

W204
Originally Posted by micropower99
Your best bet will be to just take it to the dealership.
^^
great advice...here is 15 seconds of searching...from MBworld user: "unitfreebie"

Here's update on this error code... the fix was a loose air cleaner!!! on this model engine 350, the air cleaner has a very tight round neck that requires you to really hit it home hard, otherwise it will not seat completely. The neck was up about 1/2 inch and allowed air to enter and screw up the fuel mixture.

Once the air cleaner was seated firmly the DTC error codes went away and never came back!

By the way, the Dealer said the problem was the MAS and wanted $400 to replace it! I can just see him reseating the air cleaner and laughing all the way to the bank!

this msg was for your codes exactly 2188 and 2190...GOOD LUCK!
Old 06-02-2009, 04:06 PM

C230 Sport
Yeah... as far as the 15 sec search, I did read that post for the 350. While replacing the air filters, I made sure I didn't make that mistake. But thanks for pointing the post out. Bruno.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:31 PM

2006 Mercedes 230 SS
Codes 2188/2190

Originally Posted by restob
A few weeks ago I got this used 2006 C230 with 64,000 miles. After 2 days of driving, the engine light came on. I had the codes read and codes p2188 & p2190 came up. The codes mean that the car is running to rich at idle speed with Bank 1 & 2. The car runs and sounds fine. I checked the gas cap, replaced the air filters and checked all visable hoses and such. After resetting the check engine light twice, it still comes on after +30 miles or so. I called my local MB dealer and they want $115 for a diagnostic and over $400 depending on what they find(this +$400 is without even looking at the car). Has anyone ran into these codes before or is there something else I could try before going to the MB dealership? Thanks in advance. Bruno
Hello,
I to have a 2006 Mercedes C230 and received the same codes. Did you find out what they mean or what to do?
Thanks,
Old 07-05-2011, 03:10 PM

2006 c230
I have the same code for my 2006 c230 P2188 and P2190, I had it ran into my CarMD diagnose devise and the reading for P2188 and P2190 was "Check for vacuum leaks" . I spent a whole day looking for vacuum leaks and did not find any leaks.

Trending Topics

Old 05-08-2012, 09:11 AM

2006 C230 Sport
Hey all, this is an old post, but these codes just popped up on me. I had my car at the dealership in Annapolis, and they didn't put the engine cover back on correctly, but that thing sits in front of the mass air flow sensor on my C230, so it wouldn't matter anyway.

I replaced my air filters and spent $50.00 on a code reader/eraser, erased the codes and will have to take it for a drive later tonight to see if it's fixed.

I will say that the air filters were clogged with sand, bugs, feathers, string, and so on. I couldn't see hardly any light through my air filters, plus they had MB part numbers on them... I imagine they were original.

I still don't think that it will fix the problem, because all this stuff is before the MAF sensor. We'll see.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:42 PM

2006 mercedes C280 4matic
Hi, I have a 2006 C280 4matic and these codes popped up about a week ago after i touched the air filter unit. So I re-set the air filter unit and cleared the codes. Then the codes came back and noticed that periodically the idle would go up and down. So I reset the air filter unit again and cleared the codes. Drove about 25-30 miles and codes came back on.

So after reading several posts I thought I either broke the Mass airflow sensor or had clogged airfilter, or had not hooked up the hoses correctly. So I again reset everything after replacing the airflow sensor. (bought it at rmeuropean.com)

While I was waiting on the parts, I didnt drive the car. So after replacing like a I mentioned, I didnt clear the code and just turned the car on to let it warm up b/c I hadnt started it up in like three days.

Car starts up doesnt run rough like it was.. Five minutes later the idle goes back up and down for like five seconds, then runs well. Happens again the same way. So I thought clearing the codes would be better. I then clear the codes.

Car is running better like I said. I then drive the car about ten miles and let the car run for 30 minutes. Then... The check engine light came back on. I am feeling a little less power than normal but I need an oil change and was wondering if that might be it? When I check the codes, always 2188 and 2190....

I am not sure if I just need to keep driving the car and let it cycle through but I am really thrown off as to why the check light would come back on? Any advice would help!

Thanks in advance,

Jake
Old 11-24-2012, 08:51 AM

2006 C230 Sport
Originally Posted by jsohigian@yahoo
Hi, I have a 2006 C280 4matic and these codes popped up about a week ago after i touched the air filter unit. So I re-set the air filter unit and cleared the codes. Then the codes came back and noticed that periodically the idle would go up and down. So I reset the air filter unit again and cleared the codes. Drove about 25-30 miles and codes came back on.

So after reading several posts I thought I either broke the Mass airflow sensor or had clogged airfilter, or had not hooked up the hoses correctly. So I again reset everything after replacing the airflow sensor. (bought it at rmeuropean.com)

While I was waiting on the parts, I didnt drive the car. So after replacing like a I mentioned, I didnt clear the code and just turned the car on to let it warm up b/c I hadnt started it up in like three days.

Car starts up doesnt run rough like it was.. Five minutes later the idle goes back up and down for like five seconds, then runs well. Happens again the same way. So I thought clearing the codes would be better. I then clear the codes.

Car is running better like I said. I then drive the car about ten miles and let the car run for 30 minutes. Then... The check engine light came back on. I am feeling a little less power than normal but I need an oil change and was wondering if that might be it? When I check the codes, always 2188 and 2190....

I am not sure if I just need to keep driving the car and let it cycle through but I am really thrown off as to why the check light would come back on? Any advice would help!

Thanks in advance,

Jake
Hey Jake,

I fooled with this a few times too. For me it was the fact that I wasn't reaching to the back where the air intake was connecting to the air box and squeezing the two together until they popped into place. After that it was smooth sailing.

Also... when was the last time you replaced your air filters & plugs? Mine had never been changed, and my car was running really rough due to air starvation. They were filthy, and I mean filthy... They were actually blocked.

Finally, check your spark plugs and make sure they are good to go. I have had broken plugs in the past that drove me crazy (and can certainly cause the issue you are describing) too. Plugs and plug boots aren't really all that expensive so, you may want to just go ahead and tune your C280 up.

v/r,

John Valentine