C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

New Speaker System in my C300??

Old 06-23-2009, 10:35 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300
New Speaker System in my C300??

I wish i would of bought the upgraded sound package for my C300. I really regret it now. Do you guys know of any options to upgrade the sound system in the car without spending over $1,000. The 100w system just doesn't do it for me.
Thanks again
Andre
Old 06-24-2009, 12:48 AM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Should bought it.....

Originally Posted by elandre
I wish i would of bought the upgraded sound package for my C300. I really regret it now. Do you guys know of any options to upgrade the sound system in the car without spending over $1,000. The 100w system just doesn't do it for me.
Thanks again
Andre
I hear you. The service loaner I had last week was a stripper with the base radio and it didn't compare in any way to my MM system. Pitiful.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C300 Sport, MM, P1
100W yikes! I thought I remembered some of the members adding amps and speakers to upgrade their system.. now who was it?? hum.. But I'm sure there are setups out there that cost under 1k. Try a local audio shop, I'm sure they're dying for some business in this economy. Hopefully they wont over charge because you drive a Mercedes.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C300 Sport, 2010 RX350 AWD
Originally Posted by elandre
Thanks again
Andre
The stock audio 20 w/ 100w is more than capable of driven better speakers and the only reason for less than stellar sound quality for audio 20 is the speaker themselves and not lack of power..
actually..if you keep the stock HU & spakers and add an external amp, your sound quality will only get worse not better..
so if you really want to improve your sound quality..check out vic viper's thread..he replaced the stock speakers w/ HK speakers..
That's probably the direction I am going too..
The following users liked this post:
Marcil802 (09-02-2021)
Old 06-24-2009, 08:33 PM
Almost a Member!

C300
Awesome, Thanks for the advice ill probably go with just switching the speakers then
Old 06-12-2011, 08:31 PM

c300
Originally Posted by justthinking
The stock audio 20 w/ 100w is more than capable of driven better speakers and the only reason for less than stellar sound quality for audio 20 is the speaker themselves and not lack of power..
actually..if you keep the stock HU & spakers and add an external amp, your sound quality will only get worse not better..
so if you really want to improve your sound quality..check out vic viper's thread..he replaced the stock speakers w/ HK speakers..
That's probably the direction I am going too..

hi if you dont mind can you post the link of vic viper's thread ... thanks
Old 06-12-2011, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2010 C300 Sport
Here is a popular thread (almost 10,000 views) that, for around $300 and some time, can give you very, very good sound. High efficiency speakers plus a subwoofer. 100 watts can go a long way.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...r-upgrade.html
Old 06-12-2011, 09:30 PM

mercedes benz c300
i wanna upgrade my speakerrs too, its ppretty sad if im driving with my windows down, i cant hear my radio, even fully blasted i barely hear it.

Last edited by kendricksoares; 06-12-2011 at 09:35 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 Sport
@kendricksoares: Trying to listen to musc with the windows down is like trying to watch a movie at an outdoor drive-in at noon. Are you going to do to for the benefit of pedestrians and other drivers so they can hear your music too?

Although the logical workaround is to do what joggers and mass transit commuters do: get a small iPod and use earbuds!!! Imagine dragging a sound system that produces 116 dB for a walk in the park. If everyone did that, we would all be DEAF.

In any case, replacing the stock speakers with 93-95 dB/1watt efficiency will give you 108 dB peak per speaker with 25 watts in. Combined the four speakers together can produce 116 dB peaks. That's 106 dB average (peaks are 10 dB higher than continuous SPL). Hope thats loud enough. Huh? What did you say?
Old 06-13-2011, 12:29 PM

c300
Originally Posted by kendricksoares
i wanna upgrade my speakerrs too, its ppretty sad if im driving with my windows down, i cant hear my radio, even fully blasted i barely hear it.

what if you play a cd ? is it same low sound ?
Old 06-13-2011, 01:35 PM

'11 C350 '13 F150 lariat
If your looking for louder sound the speaker exchange isnt gonna do much, it improves the quality alot at lower levels, at 3/4 volume and above it sounds basically liket he stock system, distorts and clips bad no matter the speaker. Your better off installing a 4 channel amp for the highs and a amp and sub or amplified sub box for the bass. The stock speakers arent that bad amplified if you have a crossover on them and keep the bass out of them, that boomy bass goes away and the highs are decent. You can do an amp plus an amplified bass box for under 1k
Old 06-13-2011, 01:36 PM

W204 C
how do those speakers compare to the premium sound package?
Old 06-13-2011, 02:14 PM

c300
Originally Posted by jimmythegreek
If your looking for louder sound the speaker exchange isnt gonna do much, it improves the quality alot at lower levels, at 3/4 volume and above it sounds basically liket he stock system, distorts and clips bad no matter the speaker. Your better off installing a 4 channel amp for the highs and a amp and sub or amplified sub box for the bass. The stock speakers arent that bad amplified if you have a crossover on them and keep the bass out of them, that boomy bass goes away and the highs are decent. You can do an amp plus an amplified bass box for under 1k
what if you already have sub with amp (for bass) and want louder speaker or good quality sound ... what you suggest

1)replace just after market speakers (2 front 2 rear) with OR without
an amp (4channel)

2)replace speaker for HK speaker with OR without amp
Old 06-13-2011, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 Sport
first, @ jimmythegreek: The total volume is TWICE the volume (6 dB), first because of the 3-4 dB additional efficiency and second because the speakers (The Infinity Kappa 60.9 and the Infinity co-axials) because they are 2 ohm, not 4 ohm, which draws close to 50 watts from the Audio 20 head, basically you are getting 200 watts total from the Audio 20 with more efficient drivers. The stock speakers have only a tiny NP (non-polarized) cap for its "crossover", actually it is just a low frequency blocker for the tweeter at 3 dB/octave slope. The Infinity crossovers are 18 dB per octave and divide the signal properly. The boomy bass that disappears is actually the reduced distortion because the Infinity exhibits no cone breakup, but the stock speakers are truly horrible in this respect. A post from a MB person in Hong Kong where the stock speakers are sourced mentioned that these speakers OEM cost $1 for ALL of them. For the $200 for just the speakers (no sub), it is a HUGE improvement (IMO, but hey I am only a symphony orchestra conductor with $100k in stereo gear, was a loudspeaker manufacturer and owner of a professional concert sound company). The self-amplified sub adds the missing bass "texture".

@jpdaballa: These two systems cannot really be compared. The $200 addition of better higher efficiency speakers, plus the addition of a $100 - $150 rear-shelf mounted 8" or 10" sub gets you excellent, distortion free sound (at least up to the soft clipping of the Audio 20). The result is just clean, loud (is 116 dB peaks OK?) STEREO sound into the 88 cubic feet of the W204s interior. The quality can only be appreciated playing original CDs or Apple Lossless from a decent iPod (NOT an iPod Shuffle) that has a decent D/A converter and sufficient voltage in its output (2 volts RMS). MP3 is a sonically flawed, quality-compromsed format. Sounds like: go to an big electronics discount retailer or audio salon and check out the large Klipsch horn systems or perhaps a Martin Logan system. Two very different wave-launch philosophies, the point being their STEREO FIDELITY.

Remember that many Audio 20 headunits have a 4-band digital parametric equalizer x 4 channels accessible in the Engineering Menu, quite sophisticated actually, IF you know how to use it.

The Harman/Kardon Logic7 surround sound system, is designed to sound nothing like a 2-channel STEREO system. Twelve speakers instead of eight (or 9 with the sub), tweeters in the door frames in the rear and a subwoofer with its own amplifier fed with fiber-optic. With 450 watts RMS (compared to 200 watts at clipping plus whatever the self-powered sub really gives), in the same 88 cu/foot space, can probably do another 6 dB. However the speakers are lower efficiency, the cones are made of polypropylene (read grunge in the mid-range), but all this is moot anyway.

The REAL difference is: 1) The speakers are digitally pre-equalized and time/phase-compensated through sophisticated fast Fourier analysis with a real time 1/3 octave analyzer and 2) the application of HKs Logic7 version of Dolby 5.1 Surround sound decoding. This adds up to a very high-tech SURROUND sound system. It can aso be plaed as a straight stereo by turning off the surround, but then the equalization is all wrong. Sounds like: a high quality movie theatre system. Few home surround systems can match this HK because the sound is tailored to exactly the sonic characterstcs of the interior of the W204. Something that is nearly impossible to do in the deficient acoustic environment of the home.

It is very different sound. Both excellent though. I am quite happy with just the Audio 20 + speaker upgrade + sub, and its loud and certainly inexpensive enough (IMO).
Old 06-13-2011, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 Sport
Forgot to mention point 2) @ jpdaballa: HK owns the Infinity brand and manufactures them. However the HK speakers are not a good match for the Audio 20, too low in efficiency and their sonic characteristics sound muddy and strange without equalizing and time-aligning them.

The Infinity's are the best performance and sound to be had without changing the Audio 20 headunit.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:58 PM

c300
Originally Posted by Acapulco Bill
It is very different sound. Both excellent though. I am quite happy with just the Audio 20 + speaker upgrade + sub, and its loud and certainly inexpensive enough (IMO).
what do you suggest to have a better sound quality (not the bass because i am installing sub¨500rms with 500rms amp) just worried about the sound :S ... thanks

Last edited by dasinner; 06-13-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:08 PM

'11 C350 '13 F150 lariat
bill i dont doubt your expertise one bit, I know u know ur stuff and know it well. The problem is in the actual vehicle, its not that big of a difference. I dont have audio 20, have audio 50, in 2010-11 u can get MM w out Hk and its got no equilizer in engineering, so that kills the speaker upgrade quite a bit. And Im going by experience of having BOTH systems, HK in my 08 w MM and in my 2011 having MM with nav but no HK. I tried the infinity upgrade, it was good w quality recordings, just like you say. The mojority of people have mp3s and ripped music and it isnt much better than the stock system, like I said did it and tried it. Agreed the stock speakers are garbage, they are paper and are 1 dollar for sure, the HK were very high quality. If you listen to medium level quality recordings its a good upgrade, but nowhere near the HK system as you agree. For most of us that bump our music, its not enough. I had no choice but to install a DSP and that made the world of difference, but didnt do too much at above 3/4 volume. The only way to acheive equal to HK is to use a DSP and amplifier on 4 new speakers at each door and a subwoofer(s). I agree with what you say. I would have never wasted the money on the infinitys had I not read the threads here and some even said it was as good as teh HK system, thats what prompted me to try it. Im being real saying its nowhere near that, infinity or not. I was disappointed w the results and even after the DSP and a good amp upgraded the fronts to JLaudio C5-650 components, excellent speakers. I have 50k in my home theatre but it doenst make me a conductor lol. I just think there is way too much emphasis on the speaker upgrade being "the answer" when its realisticly better in quality and a little louder, not twice as loud no matter what the db says and the 2 ohm factor. I have a buddy that does stereo competitions w a laptop w I forget what software but it measures the spl and db and all that and he heard the upgrade and what I had w HK and what I have now and its no comparison by his ears too. Just the (dsp)Logic7 and 5.1 in the HK system is unmatched by aftermarket systems in quality.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 Sport
@dasinner: jimmythegreek is absolutely right. and if you have 500 watts RMS to play around with, then speaker efficiency isnt an issue and there are many options, JLaudio is as good as any.

However with respect to DSP, any aftermarket unit will just never be as good as the HK Logic7, because HK has invested MILLIONS in research and development on several vehicles such as the C.Class, the 3-series, and understand everything acoustically about these controlled confined environments (the E and S-class HK systems arent as good). Most DSPs have a pickup truck in mind, statistically.

So if you are a DSP fan, like jimmythegreek, maybe now is the time to pony up and trade the 2011 C350 on the 2012 C350CGI, get the HK Logic 7 system, 38 more HP, 20 more NM torque and better gas mileage PLUS a fabulous interior (too bad about the exterior looks, IMO). If you drive a lot of miles in a year, maybe just on the 20% gas savings the trade would make economic and sonic sense.

Me, I am a stereo guy and just fine with the Infinity upgrade with small sub. It lets me hear very accurately and with low distortion, the "taste and the texture" of the high quality recordings. Not really loud, but sweet, very sweet AND inexpensive.
Old 06-15-2011, 02:27 PM

mercedes benz c300
@kendricksoares: Trying to listen to musc with the windows down is like trying to watch a movie at an outdoor drive-in at noon. Are you going to do to for the benefit of pedestrians and other drivers so they can hear your music too?

Although the logical workaround is to do what joggers and mass transit commuters do: get a small iPod and use earbuds!!! Imagine dragging a sound system that produces 116 dB for a walk in the park. If everyone did that, we would all be DEAF.

In any case, replacing the stock speakers with 93-95 dB/1watt efficiency will give you 108 dB peak per speaker with 25 watts in. Combined the four speakers together can produce 116 dB peaks. That's 106 dB average (peaks are 10 dB higher than continuous SPL). Hope thats loud enough. Huh? What did you say?

dont assume everybodys trying to be cool and blast their music so pedestrians can here, i drive 30 minutes everyday on a highway to and from work, i prefer driving with my windows down, i would like to be able to listen to some music while im driving, is that really so bad, there wouldnt even be anbody to show off to man, and earbuds are deffinetyl unsafer as they cut out sounds from outside, so i woldnt be abe to hear honks or sirons or whatever else is going on, not trying to be an ******** with my music just trying to be able to hear it
Old 06-15-2011, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 Sport
@kendricksoares: Me too, I drive around with the windows down especially with this tropical weather. Also fast, there is a 120 MPH road just a mile from the house. I wasn't trying to cast aspersions, just trying to be practical. Look, for $200 just replacing the stock speakers, then you can decide if 108 dB continuous is enough for you or not. And I agree about the ear buds, they are unsafe except in your living room.

If you use an MP3 player or iPod, remember there is a 6 dB or more reduction in volume because of an engineering miscalculation. Plus MP3's sound muddy in the first place. Recommended is to try a commercial CD and see if the volume is enough, before going the outboard amplifier route, which is expensive and sometimes disappointing. An iPod amplifier will give enough gain to match the volume of a CD or radio.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:51 AM

2009 MB C300 4Matic Sport
Factory HU/Audio 20 w/ Ipod integration kit...

Hello all,

Been a reader for about 6 months now but just registered this week to post a few questions/comments. You all have provided a wealth of information that for some reason various MB dealerships don't even know.

Anyway, I have a 2009 C300 Sport with Audio 20 and an Ipod integration kit. I'm working on finding out if I have the Ipod amp inline with the integration kit. From the sound differential between CD/Radio vs. Ipod I either do not have an inline amp or it's a defective Chinese model.

I too am interested in upgrading my four speakers to Infinity components/tweeters and adding a small bass tube or 10" woofer via external 5 channel amp.

My main question is what can be hooked up directly to the standard factory HU...the one with standard 5" screen? Can I interface an external 5 channel amp directly to the factory HU? I assume I can but not 100% certainly at this stage.

I've even seen plenty of videos on Youtube with folks hooking up TV tuners, backup cameras, and external DVD players all at once but no one ever posts how it's done like its a a national secret or something. And, its clear they are running these components with the factory HU, basic 5" screen and audio 20 system.

Alpine used to sell TV tuners and entertainment management units that would provide the multiple in/out and still interface with the head unit but they are all currently listed as discontinued models unless you purchase from the UK. Anyone from the UK know why this is and if those models are compatible with American manufactured MB?

I know this is a lot to ask at once and perhaps this deserves its own thread but all these questions have been building up for a while and I have to get them out there to get some feedback before I make a final decision.

I'm definitely going to upgrade the audio system first and foremost and want to leave the factory HU. However if a tuner, backup camera, and external DVD are possible to run with the existing HU I am certainly interested to know how that could be configured too.

All you vets take it easy on a newbie, I searched the forum many times looking for answers to these questions and didn't have too much luck. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

KC
Old 07-27-2011, 11:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 Sport
If you want to control the iPod on the 5" screen, only the two models of UMI will do this.

The Ipod Amplifier is easily visible taking out the liner in the glove box.

Make sure your iPod is set to Volume "8" and the EQ is set to "POP" before you insert the connector into the iPod.

The Chinese sourced iPod amplifier sounds horribly distorted and muffled, besides the almost 10dB lower volume. If after setting the volume and EQ on the iPod to the above settings, if the Radio or a CD are still much higher volume than the iPod, then whatever iPod Amplifier (part no. A 204 870 39 94) you have, it could be defective.

Suggest going to a MB dealer and see if they can demo either the UMI or the UMI plus on the screen, and changing the iPod Integration Kit for one of the UMIs will make this situation moot.

And get on that speaker upgrade ASAP.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:17 PM

2009 MB C300 4Matic Sport
If you want to control the iPod on the 5" screen, only the two models of UMI will do this.

The Ipod Amplifier is easily visible taking out the liner in the glove box.

Make sure your iPod is set to Volume "8" and the EQ is set to "POP" before you insert the connector into the iPod.

The Chinese sourced iPod amplifier sounds horribly distorted and muffled, besides the almost 10dB lower volume. If after setting the volume and EQ on the iPod to the above settings, if the Radio or a CD are still much higher volume than the iPod, then whatever iPod Amplifier (part no. A 204 870 39 94) you have, it could be defective.

Suggest going to a MB dealer and see if they can demo either the UMI or the UMI plus on the screen, and changing the iPod Integration Kit for one of the UMIs will make this situation moot.

And get on that speaker upgrade ASAP.
Acapulco Bill,

Thanks for the timely reply! I already have the Ipod settings set to the specs you mentioned based off info I got several weeks ago from a previous thread but thanks for the reinforcing.

I'm not yet sure what the difference is between the UMI vs. UMI plus, however I have already placed a call to my local MB dealer to have a demo setup soon.

Based on your suggestions from a previous posts I've decided to go with the Infinity Kappa 62.9i 6-3/4" 2-way car speakers and the Boss Bass600.

And, for what it's worth to anyone out there I got in touch with the folks over at Mid City Engineering and they have a custom solution to incorporate a backup camera, DVD changer and TV tuner to the existing factory system. The item is called an "LVDS converter" and it's priced at $499.00.

I'll worry about that in the future, but right now the speaker upgrade is priority! Bill, any advice on how to configure the components/tweeters/sub? I'm sure there are multiple ways to do this...perhaps with an external aftermarket amp...but I'd rather let the factory head unit or the existing factory component amp push the new speakers if possible.

I'm just not knowledgeable enough to know if there is a factory amp already installed in the door speakers or if the head unit powers them. Any insight would be great!

Thanks again,

KC
Old 07-29-2011, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 Sport
The recommendations for the Kappas and the self powered sub is an inexpensive way (about $350) to get 200 watts into the door speakers plus whatever the sub produces, from the existing Audio 20 headunit.

Driving six hours on noisy roads yesterday, it was necessary to turn the volume down as this high efficiency and accuracy upgrade really does work fantastically. However, it is only 2 channel stereo, and not comparable to 5.1 surround sound as the HK system provides.
Old 04-18-2016, 03:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2009 Mercedes Benz c300 Luxury
ANSWER TO THE AUDIO PROBLEM

Actually I too went through the c300 sound system issue...but i have the answer to the problem.....i always knew even the stock speakers for the benz has to bang out but ever since i got my c300 while playing the audio system it shorts out randomly messing up my songs playing.....so i bought a bluetooth dongle called car pro for mercedes benz on amazon for like 80$ and all my problems dealing with the audio system was corrected!....i can now play music in my car to the benz full potential quality without any shortages....=]]]]] hopefully this info will help some of yall out.
Amazon.com: Bluetooth Adapter for Audi and Volkswagen iPod iPhone AMI Cable - CoolStream CarPro: Automotive Amazon.com: Bluetooth Adapter for Audi and Volkswagen iPod iPhone AMI Cable - CoolStream CarPro: Automotive
The following 2 users liked this post by sngov1993:
MercedesJr (10-17-2016), stgry1 (04-18-2016)

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: New Speaker System in my C300??