C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

First problem with 2010 car, nav displays wrong location!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 06:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes
First problem with 2010 car, nav displays wrong location!!

Hey guys,

Picked up my 2010 C300 4matic on saturday, was working fine. Just drove 40 miles to my office, the entire way the navigation was confused and did not display the location of the car correctly at all (car was on for over an hour). Showed me driving through lakes and other water! When I left my home my street was still off and from there it never recovered! (i was just looking at location, and did not put in a destination address for nav)

I figured once I got on one of the two major highways it would find itself but it never did. I'm not at my office and I turned car off and then on twice but the nav still shows i'm in Danbury and not Greewich!

Is there a way way to reset the location of the nav or when a restart of the car does it automatically find itself again or just pick up from the previous location of when the car was turned off?

I really have no time to go to the dealership but if so it's not going to be a pleasant experience for the people there! thanks in advanced!
Old 07-27-2009, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
pretty cool you have a 2010 though. haven't seen one yet.

Hope someone else can help you out.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
'18 C63A Cabriolet
Originally Posted by ctrider
Hey guys,

Picked up my 2010 C300 4matic on saturday, was working fine. Just drove 40 miles to my office, the entire way the navigation was confused and did not display the location of the car correctly at all (car was on for over an hour). Showed me driving through lakes and other water! When I left my home my street was still off and from there it never recovered! (i was just looking at location, and did not put in a destination address for nav)

I figured once I got on one of the two major highways it would find itself but it never did. I'm not at my office and I turned car off and then on twice but the nav still shows i'm in Danbury and not Greewich!

Is there a way way to reset the location of the nav or when a restart of the car does it automatically find itself again or just pick up from the previous location of when the car was turned off?

I really have no time to go to the dealership but if so it's not going to be a pleasant experience for the people there! thanks in advanced!
It's your first problem with the car. Why would it not be a pleasant experience for the people at the dealer? Do you dislike them for some reason?
Old 07-27-2009, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
2017 E300
i have not noticed a position screen where you can actually change or correct where you are, though my other vehicles' navs have this function.

ill look through my manual and see if i see something
Old 07-27-2009, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
I believe there is a reset feature to factory setting, I may be wrong.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 E300
nothing in the manual about comand displaying the wrong area.

my advice is to go into System, then settings, then hit the RESET button. Unfortunately, this will clear eveything from bluetooth phone to saved addresses, but it might also fix your problem.

try it and see
Old 07-27-2009, 03:23 PM

mercedes
Hey guys,

I did the reset from the comand system menu this morning. Did NOT fix the problem. I made an appointment at the service center for tomorrow morning. I'm going to try inputting a destination on my way home from work and see if that somehow realigns itself with the correct position!

You'd figure that it would recalibrate when you turn the car on, but nope, i'm stuck in "danbury"!

Will keep you guys posted, thanks for the responses!
Old 07-27-2009, 03:23 PM

'10 C300 Sport
should there be a problem is it possible for the dealer to update the firmware? I know they frequently update the idrive firmware on BMWs to correct problems (service bulletins).
Old 07-27-2009, 03:26 PM

mercedes
Originally Posted by HBC350
It's your first problem with the car. Why would it not be a pleasant experience for the people at the dealer? Do you dislike them for some reason?
I'm just frustrated that the first time i'm really driving the car since I have taken receipt of it, and one of the main features of the car doesn't work. If I had to go on a business trip and I ended up somewhere far and unfamiliar and then this happened i'd be even more furious. If this happens on day 2 of me driving it, it shakes my confidence and trust in the navigation capabilities. I hope this is a one time thing and won't happen again or else they better be swapping me a new nav or antennae, etc.

(i will always keeps my spare garmin in the car just in case for reasons like this, i'd expect this from my 2001 CLK but not a brand new model car)
Old 07-27-2009, 03:27 PM

mercedes
Originally Posted by rh71
should there be a problem is it possible for the dealer to update the firmware? I know they frequently update the idrive firmware on BMWs to correct problems (service bulletins).
i'm not sure since this is one of the first 2010's, i don't know if there are any updates to it yet, i doubt it, but will keep everyone posted when i find out more
Old 07-28-2009, 12:59 AM

'10 C300 Sport
i'm not sure since this is one of the first 2010's, i don't know if there are any updates to it yet, i doubt it, but will keep everyone posted when i find out more
well I was asking if the COMAND system can be updated the same way, general question. Have there been updates in the past to fix quirks?
Old 07-28-2009, 07:16 AM

mercedes
Well on my way home last night about 25 minutes into the drive the satellites must have realigned and it fixed itself. All was good last night as well as my drive in to work today. I'm not sure what this glitch was, but I will be crossing my fingers in the hopes that it doesn't happen again, but I put my garmin in the trunk just in case! Thanks for your help guys!!
Old 07-28-2009, 09:06 AM

08 Malibu LT :( Future C300 Sport
Glad things worked themselves out. Have to say, it's kind of disappointing you have to keep a backup GPS device when you payed so much for a feature that should just work.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Well on my way home last night about 25 minutes into the drive the satellites must have realigned and it fixed itself. All was good last night as well as my drive in to work today. I'm not sure what this glitch was, but I will be crossing my fingers in the hopes that it doesn't happen again, but I put my garmin in the trunk just in case! Thanks for your help guys!!
I bet the device had not reached a GPS fix and was working with gyros only. You should have looked at the satellite status info when the issue was present. If it was showing "0", you should have preferably waited a bit under open sky. Once the device knows the current location, next time it finds the fix quickly after start-up. Or did you have a look at the GPS status?

Probably the dealer should have taken care of the GPS, happens specifically if the car has been mooved a long distance without ignition on.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:54 AM

mercedes
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
I bet the device had not reached a GPS fix and was working with gyros only. You should have looked at the satellite status info when the issue was present. If it was showing "0", you should have preferably waited a bit under open sky. Once the device knows the current location, next time it finds the fix quickly after start-up. Or did you have a look at the GPS status?

Probably the dealer should have taken care of the GPS, happens specifically if the car has been mooved a long distance without ignition on.
I checked under every menu I looked at, I couldn't find the satellite status, can you point me in the right direction on where to look in case this happens again?

When this issue happened, I pulled it out of my garage and it showed me on my street which was correct but then showed me going up a side street instead of the one I was on. This was also at 5:30am and dark outside, not sure if that had anything to do with it as well. Thanks again!!
Old 07-28-2009, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 E300
to see the satelite count, you have to get into the secret engineering menu. Hold down end call, #, and 1 at the same time (i think thats it, if not somebody correct me or use the search function since it has been discussed numerous times).

then you have to find the "Off Road Compass" or something like that. Once you activate that, a new menu with come up under the navigation menu and you can see altitude, long/lat and sat count
Old 07-29-2009, 04:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
At least you knew it was off.

There was a recent article about a tour bus that found itself 400 miles off route because they spelled their destination wrong.

Guess it was a good thing that it didn't tell them to drive off the edge of a cliff.
Old 07-29-2009, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
S350 BT 4MATIC
I checked under every menu I looked at, I couldn't find the satellite status, can you point me in the right direction on where to look in case this happens again?

When this issue happened, I pulled it out of my garage and it showed me on my street which was correct but then showed me going up a side street instead of the one I was on. This was also at 5:30am and dark outside, not sure if that had anything to do with it as well. Thanks again!!
ctrider, glad your's corrected itself. Watch out, mine did for a day and then started acting up again.

DB is correct, when I installed my system, I had the same issue until I brought it into the dealer and got it properly SCN and version coded. Whilst they were doing that, they configured the GPS properly and it established a fix and since then no issues
Old 08-01-2009, 09:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C350
Nav menu option to see geo coordinate will show sat icon with number sat seen @ full screen mode, min 3 to lock position, mine in garage when pictures were taken, normally seen 9.
Attached Thumbnails First problem with 2010 car, nav displays wrong location!!-img_2939-1-.jpg   First problem with 2010 car, nav displays wrong location!!-2940.jpg  

Last edited by theinmoe; 08-01-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
axe muderer with headlights
I am having this same issue, tried the reset and no luck. The other annoying thing is that the COMMAND will reset itself frequently due to this navigation location error.

I am going to the dealer in a few days, but just wanted to add myself to list of unlucky owners with this problem.

I have a 02/09 build date.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:39 AM

mercedes
Hey iatacs,

i'm sorry you're having the same problem. This problem came back for me. A few weeks ago, the nav was displaying wrong location on a saturday morning, then after i put in an address to find (after i got there, it corrected itself). Then on sunday morning i drove a few streets away and lost itself again. I then drove it straight to the dealership on monday morning and left the car on so the service manager could see there was a problem. I told them i'd wait for it.

2 hours later they tell me that they have to take the whole car apart because some connection is possibly lose. I then tell them to becareful taking things apart as I had my laser jammers installed and v1 custom wired. Of course they said, "Well that could be why you are having the problem, they could have nicked a wire some where." ALWAYS LOOKING TO BLAME SOMEONE ELSE!!! Infuriating me further, i went into a rage and told them i had the problem before I had that installed, which i did!

Three days later, car is still in shop and they tell me that the satellite radio cable center pin was missing, trying to blame my jammer installer. I DIDN'T TAKE THE CAR IN BECAUSE SAT RADIO WASN'T WORKING, IT WAS!! and that had no correlation to the gps. Then they call back and say my radar detector (v1) might be screwing with the signal of the gps, which is total

They then told me the car was picking up all 7 satellites fine and to bring the v1 in to see if it is interfering with the signal, so i brought it down and of course there was no problem. I also *****ed about having paid for the ipod kit and how it failed to charge my ipod, they then gave me some lame excuse that the apple is making the ipod cheaper, etc. I told them they were full of SH*T because the same ipod charged fine in my 2006 c class. They replaced the connector cable and it now charges my ipod.

Anyways, since having the car back this has happened to me once and after driving it for a bit it corrected itself. I dont' know what to do because the dealer kept blaming my installer, and yet they found nothing wrong besides claiming "interferance" which is total BS.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:58 PM

Well, my car is bone stock, so there is nothing they can blame the error on, except ****ty german engineering and poor quality control.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:17 AM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Hey guys,

Why take anything out on the dealer? They didn't build the damned thing. You have a piddling warranty claim which will be taken care of.

You had better get used to this stuff.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:29 AM

2009 SL 550 and 2008 Z06
I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM

I have a bone stock C350 09 and the nav is off 100 miles. It is an intermittent problem but now I am going on day three so it is off to the dealer Monday
Old 09-12-2009, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by RLE
Why take anything out on the dealer? They didn't build the damned thing. You have a piddling warranty claim which will be taken care of.

You had better get used to this stuff.
Take it easy, he is just frustrated that they are not helping him with this issue.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: First problem with 2010 car, nav displays wrong location!!