C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

HELP - CAN'T FIT THE GOD DAMN MM HEAD UNIT BACK IN AFTER BACK UP CAM INSTALL

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 12:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
HELP - CAN'T FIT THE GOD DAMN MM HEAD UNIT BACK IN AFTER BACK UP CAM INSTALL

So I have been trying to fit the god damn head unit back in the dash for about an hour after installing the Midcity VIM and harness and the backup cam video out.

I have searched and read many threads but still have failed. I have tried to stash the harness and the VIM module below the head unit, but no luck, I can only get the thing half way in...

Anybody have some KILLER tips that might be able to help me???

I know this part takes everybody a long time, but if someone could just point me to exactly how to do it after they finally figured it out, it would make my life much much easier... PLEASE let me know what they best way to fit everything back in is... I am really strugling here and fell like I am about to break the super sensitive orange fiber optic cables...
Old 10-22-2009, 12:44 AM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
One tough job

Originally Posted by rb23lb
So I have been trying to fit the god damn head unit back in the dash for about an hour after installing the Midcity VIM and harness and the backup cam video out.

I have searched and read many threads but still have failed. I have tried to stash the harness and the VIM module below the head unit, but no luck, I can only get the thing half way in...

Anybody have some KILLER tips that might be able to help me???

I know this part takes everybody a long time, but if someone could just point me to exactly how to do it after they finally figured it out, it would make my life much much easier... PLEASE let me know what they best way to fit everything back in is... I am really strugling here and fell like I am about to break the super sensitive orange fiber optic cables...
Funny, this is some of the language I was using, and more, when I spent THREE BLEEDING DAYS, off and on, trying to get the thing back together. But, it's not so much the module as it is that huge square plug that kept leaping upward just when I though I had it.

You have to really spread the other cables apart and try to get the plug down in the corner, not on top of the module. And even then the MM unit will not go fully in. You have to give it a push for the last 1/4 inch or so and get the fasteners in quickly.

Mine hasn't jumped out of the hole so I guess i'm OK.

The cuts, scrapes and scuffs on your hands will heal up in a week or so.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
Thanks for your reply rle

so when I get to the second rear set of circuler knobs when sliding it in, is that when u are talking about giving it that extra push? Weren't u worried about the optical cables getting broken?
Old 10-22-2009, 03:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

should i take it to the dealer to fit it back or is that a bad idea since it has the VIM installed now???

or does midcity have an install center on the west coast?

man, they sure did poorly design the VIM module
Old 10-22-2009, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 c350
If i remember correctly i tucked my VIM module towards the firewall in a cavity to make more room for the T harness (I have the ipod adapter). Getting it in took a couple of tries. make sure you really try to organize the way the cables fold onto itself and work with the huge connectors with one hand as the other and slides the deck in. it might even help to tape things in place using masking tape (so the tape will give once the deck gets slid closer in place). but since i used to build competition audio cars, getting it in was only a matter of time. but i do have to say, i felt like i was nearly going to break the radio near the end, it took a good amount of force to get the last 1/8th of an inch in there. just take your time, and don't take it to the dealership.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i am taking it into some place the midcity reccommends in costa mesa, just got off the ohone with midcity... not worth another six hours...

i have mounted the camera and the rear is good, just need them to do everything forward now... they will use the included cord too so I dont have to use a crappy extension cable since they include more than enough cable with the backup cam kit from kenwood
Old 10-22-2009, 11:10 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Giving up

i am taking it into some place the midcity recommends in Costa Mesa, just got off the phone with Midcity... not worth another six hours...

i have mounted the camera and the rear is good, just need them to do everything forward now... they will use the included cord too so I don't have to use a crappy extension cable since they include more than enough cable with the backup cam kit from Kenwood
Odd. The cable from my camera was a mile long but the one from the adapter it plugs into (which connects to the backup light) was far too short to reach the front. So I bought an extender from Radio Shack. And the folding seats added another bit of complication but couldn't compare to the fun of reinstalling the MM unit.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
'06 E55, W204 C350, '04 Carrera C4S, '02 ML55 (Wife's)
i am taking it into some place the midcity reccommends in costa mesa, just got off the ohone with midcity... not worth another six hours...
Sounds like a plan...
Good luck with the Costa Mesa shop finishing the install!