C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Off Topic Congrats to the New York Yankees!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W204 Color: 090 / 1999 Honda Civic EX / 2003 Acura TL
Off Topic Congrats to the New York Yankees!!!

Will be at the parade Go Yankees!!!
Old 11-04-2009, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Originally Posted by Spec_Davis
Will be at the parade Go Yankees!!!

You won't be the only one!! LETS GO YANKEES!!!
Old 11-05-2009, 01:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 Carrara White Metallic Porsche Cayman
go philly!!!!

oh wait..
Old 11-05-2009, 01:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 C200 AMG line, '08 C300 Sport Avantgarde, '07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd, '02 CLK 200 (gone)
Though I don't like the Yankees, I'll say a big OMEDETTO GOZAIMASU (congratulations) to Hideki Matsui.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
booo yankees., go halos.. they should put a salary cap in baseball so new york can stop buying championships
Old 11-05-2009, 02:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
\
WOOOHOOO!!! GO YANKEES!!!

I will say that Lee pitched an amazing Game 1, and Utley played a hell of a series.

BUT YOU CAN SUCK IT PHANATIC!
Old 11-05-2009, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by rb23lb
booo yankees., go halos.. they should put a salary cap in baseball so new york can stop buying championships

Hmmmm.....so if capitalism should not apply, then there should be a price cap on cars so everyone drives the same lower cost variety?
Old 11-05-2009, 10:15 AM

w204
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Old 11-05-2009, 10:21 AM

'08 c300 sport
Numero 27!

Philly
Old 11-05-2009, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Every big city can spend the money, it's their choice to pocket the money rather than invest it in a championship. The Marlins chose to part out all their star players so that they can keep more money to themselves. Maybe you should hate them for being greedy and ruining the sport.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:43 AM

W204
Ever so slightly back on topic... Maybe we should make a meetup tomorrow near the canyon so we can all show our support together. Anyone else in?

Oh yeah- GO YANKEES!
Old 11-05-2009, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
'18 C63A Cabriolet
YANKEES

The Angels have the ability to spend far more than they do on players and still earn a hefty profit. They choose not to. I can only assume the owner likes to keep the money instead. The Yankees, on the other hand, have learned that by spending money on the best players available, they win, which brings them more money and more wins. It's business 101. Don't be jealous. Be angry that your team isn't that smart or doesn't care about the fans as much as the Yankees. As for a salary cap, the players union has rejected that umpteen times already. Instead, the Yankees pay the lesser markets a massive luxury tax. And lastly, you think the Angels don't try to buy success? They do, but they're just not that good at it.

Old 11-05-2009, 02:57 PM

2021 GLB35, 2007 E350, 2014 ML350 4Matic, 2008 C350 Sport
Great game I was there last night
Old 11-06-2009, 04:35 AM

\
Exclamation

Baseball doesn't need a salary cap, it's just a whining cop out for people who don't like that the Yankees are a winning team because the owners dump twice as much money into their players than most other teams. If you look at the last 10 World Series, you can see that team salaries are not the deciding factor.

Yes, New York had a run in the 90s winning 3 World Series, but Toronto also won back to back titles before the strike. In the 80s, the Yankees only made it to the World Series once, and they lost. The Yankees spend so much on their team, because they make a gajillion dollars a year because they know how to turn the popularity of their team into monetary gains. They have their own television network and they have a world recognized (and franchised) brand, above and beyond what most other Major League teams are able to accomplish. It's smart business and smart investing, and at the end of the day it's a positive reinforcing cycle that promotes the sport, attracts fans, and increases revenues for the entire system. Owners that don't want to spend their revenues on their teams are what cause the strike to begin with, not the Yankees... and the players union will never support the salary cap because it justifies the owners to do exactly that, not spend their revenue on the players. The NFL and NBA owners are greedy *******s that make legendary players like Michael Jordan in his prime do movies like Space Jam to earn the type of salaries they should be making.

Also Angels fans are worse than flyers fans. Most of them didn't even know what baseball was until 2 months ago. My friend went to one of the games and the people sitting next to him were booing Jose Molina because he "used to be an Angel," not realizing that the former Angels catcher was Benji Molina.

Last edited by Peabody; 11-06-2009 at 04:39 AM.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 C300 Sport Black Darth V3.0
I'll be in the city today but not for the parade, I have to visit one of the collages my Daughter wants to attend.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:07 AM
Banned

C300 4matic & ///M3
I take a early train into Penn Station and it was already packed with Yankee fans?!?!?!?! What are they doing on a 5:30 am train???
Old 11-06-2009, 07:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 Color: 090 / 1999 Honda Civic EX / 2003 Acura TL
I will be in the city by 10 hopefully it will not be crowded
Old 11-06-2009, 09:09 AM

'10 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by Peabody
Baseball doesn't need a salary cap, it's just a whining cop out for people who don't like that the Yankees are a winning team because the owners dump twice as much money into their players than most other teams. If you look at the last 10 World Series, you can see that team salaries are not the deciding factor.
It's great that you can see it that way but it's real simple. Put a cap on and see how many of the Yankees' deciding players would be missing. The talent would be spread out league-wide. Many more competitive teams and the Yankees' talent would obviously drop. You can't say take a look at the last 10 winners and their salaries if there was no salary cap imposed. Even great teams would have to play under-par players because of the cap. It changes EVERYTHING.

As fans, we should not be worrying about what players make and whether they get their fair share. We should be worried about COMPETITIVE baseball and putting all 30 teams on an even field does that. More fans interested league-wide = more revenue to share for everyone. Why do you care about the players so much and not the whole league? Why do you only mention smart business for the ones who are doing well (the big market teams)? Is it not a good thing that every fan in the league can support a team that has the same chance to win every game - that they can cheer for their share of superstar players?

Lastly, I think the last-resort excuse of "well they're playing within the rules" just goes to show you people know it's unbalanced. Only the fortunate going by the current rules do not care.

Last edited by rh71; 11-06-2009 at 09:19 AM.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
Money is power.
Congrats yanks
Old 11-06-2009, 10:46 AM

C204
Originally Posted by Ron Jr
I'll be in the city today but not for the parade, I have to visit one of the collages my Daughter wants to attend.
CUNY College or Private?
Old 11-06-2009, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by alexlev
CUNY College or Private?
It's probably NYU, Columbia or Barnard. Then again, I'm just taking a random stab at it cause I'm bored.
Old 11-06-2009, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Why wouldn't you include Brooklyn College? He said he would be "in the city", not just in Manhattan!

(For those not from the region, some people have a habit of saying "in the city", which means New York City, which includes the five boroughs of Brooklyn, Bronx, Manhattan, Staten Island, and Queens...but some use the expression only to mean Manhattan, as if the other four boroughs are somehow not in New York City. It evolved from inter-borough status competition, and is quite annoying to many from the other four boroughs.)
Old 11-06-2009, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
'18 C63A Cabriolet
That's a great idea. Let's "level the playing field" so that we can watch the Royals battle the Pirates in the World Series. Nobody wants that. Not even you. You're just making excuses for your owner (Moreno is one of the richest in baseball) not reinvesting in the product. And do you really think that a player, if given the choice between playing for the Yankees or Indians for the same money, would choose the Indians? No. They'd still choose the Yankees because it's the biggest stage in the world with many, many more marketing opportunities. You'd then just change the basis for your whining from "the Yankees buy their championships" to something else. The Yankees are the single most successful sports franchise in the world for a reason. Smart business decisions.

Originally Posted by rh71
It's great that you can see it that way but it's real simple. Put a cap on and see how many of the Yankees' deciding players would be missing. The talent would be spread out league-wide. Many more competitive teams and the Yankees' talent would obviously drop. You can't say take a look at the last 10 winners and their salaries if there was no salary cap imposed. Even great teams would have to play under-par players because of the cap. It changes EVERYTHING.

As fans, we should not be worrying about what players make and whether they get their fair share. We should be worried about COMPETITIVE baseball and putting all 30 teams on an even field does that. More fans interested league-wide = more revenue to share for everyone. Why do you care about the players so much and not the whole league? Why do you only mention smart business for the ones who are doing well (the big market teams)? Is it not a good thing that every fan in the league can support a team that has the same chance to win every game - that they can cheer for their share of superstar players?

Lastly, I think the last-resort excuse of "well they're playing within the rules" just goes to show you people know it's unbalanced. Only the fortunate going by the current rules do not care.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:09 PM

'10 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by HBC350
That's a great idea. Let's "level the playing field" so that we can watch the Royals battle the Pirates in the World Series. Nobody wants that. Not even you. You're just making excuses for your owner (Moreno is one of the richest in baseball) not reinvesting in the product. And do you really think that a player, if given the choice between playing for the Yankees or Indians for the same money, would choose the Indians? No. They'd still choose the Yankees because it's the biggest stage in the world with many, many more marketing opportunities. You'd then just change the basis for your whining from "the Yankees buy their championships" to something else. The Yankees are the single most successful sports franchise in the world for a reason. Smart business decisions.
So why do we even have 30 teams if nobody actually wants to see the lesser markets do anything? I'm a huge hockey fan and teams like Pittsburgh and Washington do very well thank you. Next 5-10 years it'll be other teams. Does everyone want to see the Rangers in the finals all the time? As a fan, I love that they're only mediocre despite the grand stage and expectations. And no, I'm not an Isles fan. What's the reason for the c0ckblock here? Being able to spend MONEY.

I still don't know why anyone should care about business decisions - to the degree that you guys do. Is it because... oh that's the only way the Yankees succeed?! Oh, BTW, they are in NY and money is handed to them as long as it is spent on big name players (see the Rangers). There is no big secret to their "smart business decisions". One team is doing well because they are able to have multiple superstars while the other big name in town is mediocre because despite having the money, they are not allowed to spend it.

This is a fricken SPORT. Competition. Not money. You're not a true fan of a sport. If you think you are, you're only making excuses for the Yankees... not other people the other way around.

BTW, I also like how you didn't address the part about taking players off the Yankee roster. Your argument is basically, DO NOT level the playing field since it's working fine for the Yankees. Yankee pride sure does mean something else. It's amazing it doesn't bother you guys that other fans don't actually respect your team.

Last edited by rh71; 11-06-2009 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:36 PM

\
salary caps only work for the owners, not the players, the fans, or the sport. Making it "more competitive" is a cop out for the owners to not pay people.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Off Topic Congrats to the New York Yankees!!!