C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

W205 to be U.S. built

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 12:21 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
Originally Posted by splinter
Precisely.

Though pleased our AMG was screwed together in Affalterbach, am also proud my ‘11 NAFTA GMC rolled off the line in Indiana.
Absolutely trouble-free after 200+ miles.
Exactly. I don't want my Chevy to be built in Germany, and I don't want my Benz built in Alabama. Maybe it's throwing logicality somewhat to the wayside, but it's an emotional thing really, and car enthusiasm is far, far, faaaaaaar from logical.
Old 12-24-2011, 05:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Originally Posted by splinter
Precisely.

Though pleased our AMG was screwed together in Affalterbach, am also proud my ‘11 NAFTA GMC rolled off the line in Indiana.
Absolutely trouble-free after 200+ miles.
Great - enjoy!
Old 12-24-2011, 05:19 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by K-A
Exactly. I don't want my Chevy to be built in Germany, and I don't want my Benz built in Alabama. Maybe it's throwing logicality somewhat to the wayside, but it's an emotional thing really, and car enthusiasm is far, far, faaaaaaar from logical.
I understand the emotion. I guess I grew up with our Benz cars being built here right up to the S Class, SL & SLC's before Benz rationalised production. Never seen it as an issue.

I now have a German built Benz. I'm very happy with it but I do notice little things that we do better here. e.g. The fabric used on door map pockets & A & C pillar covers on SA build is better - less inclined to scuff, mark & fray. The thread used to stitch the leather on German cars always frays on the seat bolsters from contact to the degree of failing. SA leather & thread is better & does not fray. Steering wheel leather thin & hard - not soft & thick as here. SA seat belts are better & don't grow whiskers & fray on the edges. Little things that can turn into an irritation long term. One gets the impression that we have debugged the weak spots better.

That said I would rather have a Lambo with German Audi interference than a pure Italian one.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 12-24-2011 at 06:07 AM.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:36 AM
K-A
Out Of Control!!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Porsche Macan S SportDesign / Ex M-B's: 11 & 10 & 06 E350's, 02 S500
That's interesting, never would'a figured the materials would actually vary. Yeah, I have no idea about who's "better", but it's just a strong "warm/fuzzy" aspect in effect here. Plus, it doesn't sound as "exotic" to know that the Merc you just forked over Luxury/Imported pricing for is delivered all the way from.. Alabama.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:50 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah - An SA built W204 is about 47% local content by weight. Tuscaloosa won't be a CKD plant. US suppliers will supply a lot of components like here. e.g. They wont be shipping bodies from Germany.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by K-A
Plus, it doesn't sound as "exotic" to know that the Merc you just forked over Luxury/Imported pricing
The truth of the matter is that the US does not pay luxury imported pricing for a Benz. They are highly competitively priced in the US. Only Saudi Arabia is cheaper due to zero tax.

Europe & ROW pays about double the US price with countries like Finland & Australia paying more than double the US price.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,014 Likes on 739 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
I understand the emotion. I guess I grew up with our Benz cars being built here right up to the S Class, SL & SLC's before Benz rationalised production. Never seen it as an issue.

I now have a German built Benz. I'm very happy with it but I do notice little things that we do better here. e.g. The fabric used on door map pockets & A & C pillar covers on SA build is better - less inclined to scuff, mark & fray. The thread used to stitch the leather on German cars always frays on the seat bolsters from contact to the degree of failing. SA leather & thread is better & does not fray. Steering wheel leather thin & hard - not soft & thick as here. SA seat belts are better & don't grow whiskers & fray on the edges. Little things that can turn into an irritation long term. One gets the impression that we have debugged the weak spots better.

That said I would rather have a Lambo with German Audi interference than a pure Italian one.
+1 on that. There is a funny scene in Top Gear season 10 episode 1 when Jeremy Clarson runs out of gas with his Lamborghini and bemoans the Italian content. Of course the whole issue was operator error.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 12-24-2011 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 CLA 45 AMG; 2012 GLK 350 4MATIC (totaled); 2009 VW GTI (sold)
Originally Posted by aowhaus
There is very little to no difference in car produced in any country. It's the car makers that provide the same facilities, engineering and quality standards -- it's just like a McDonalds, you will get the same product no matter where you are.

BMW SUVs and Z4s are produced in South Carolina, and Mercedes SUVs are produced in Alabama, but you don't hear any complaints about it's quality compared to the models made in Germany.
The GLK and G-Wagen are still made in Germany

R Class, GL and ML are assembled in the USA

All power trains are still made in Germany
Old 01-05-2012, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

G Wagon is built in Graz, Austria.

South Africa now takes ML's from Graz due to quality issues from Tuscaloosa.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 01-05-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz C250, Jaguar XJ Vanden Plas
Originally Posted by Acapulco Bill
To emphasize Sportick's post, here is a short list of Mercedes Benz models produced in the Western Hemisphere since 1986. The vertical standard of high quality goals always has to be applied without compromise across the horizontal spectrum of production sites. A global company like MB has to offer a monolithic quality regardless of location of manufacture.
A-Class Hatchback - Juiz de Fora, Brazil
B-Class Sports Tourer/Hatchback - Juiz de Fora, Brazil
C-Class Sedan, Sports Coupe & Wagon - Santiago Tianguistenco, Mexico
CL-Class Coupe - Santiago Tianguistenco, Mexico
CLK-Class Coupe & Cabriolet - Monterrey, Mexico
CLS-Class "4 Door Coupe" - Santiago Tianguistenco, Mexico
CLC-Class luxury compact car - Juiz de Fora, Brazil
E-Class Sedan & Wagon - Santiago Tianguistenco, Mexico
G-Class Cross-country vehicle - Santiago Tianguistenco, Mexico
GL-Class SUV - Santiago Tianguistenco, Mexico
M-Class SUV - Tuscaloosa, Alabama, United States
R-Class Sports Tourer - Mexico City, Mexico
S-Class luxury sedan - Santiago Tianguistenco, Mexico
SL-Class Roadster - Santiago Tianguistenco, Mexico
SLK-Class Roadster - Mexico City, Mexico
Sprinter Van Mexico City, Mexico , Santiago Tianguistenco, Mexico , and Monterrey, Mexico

Expect your W204/205 C Coupe to come from Brazil or Mexico soon!
I have to point out that only the C-Class and E-Class are manufactured in Mexico in and in small batches. The W140 S-class was manufactured for a time there too but now they only build S-classes in extremely limited numbers from CKD kits for the Central aAmerica market. The rest are assembled from SKD and CKD kits from Germany, with the exception of the M-Class which already has a great deal of Mexican made parts with the rest coming from the US.

I own a Mexican built C-class and it has gone without any major problems the entire time I have owned it. I have not had a single problem with it except for the drivers door window control not responding when it's below 32 degrees, which is likely from a friend spilling soda into the center console. Case in point, I do not believe it makes a difference whether it is produced in Germany, South Africa, Mexico or China as long as MB keeps the quality standards up.

If any of you are wondering why they are assembled in Mexico it is due to a Mexican law which states that car companies will face major tariffs unless the manufacture at least 100,000 cars in Mexico yearly. Most Mercedes-Benz's produced in Mexico are trucks and busses which includes Freightliner trucks made in Mexico which are re-badged as Mercedes-Benz trucks in Mexico. The number of passenger vehicles built in Mexico are built there to reach that 100,000 vehicle minimum. This is what has kept manufacturers like Hyundai from selling cars in Mexico.

That is however expected to change in 2015 when a new factory in Mexico will began fully producing A-Class platform vehicles (many believe it will be the CLA and GLA) and E-class platform vehicles, E and GLK i'd guess, based on their popularity in Mexico and Latin American which Mexico has plentiful free trade agreements with.

We will probably not see any C-classes produced in Mexico after the US factory starts producing them because the United States has an FTA with Mexico and will probably get American built C-Classes. And by then Mercedes will long be past the 100,000 vehicles per year minimum so can import foreign vehicles into Mexico. We probably will start getting Mexican built CLA and GLA models and probably E and GLK's in the US around 2015.

Last edited by BurntDiesel; 01-14-2013 at 08:34 AM.