C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Mercedes falls short on some simple options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 E63S AMG
Mercedes falls short on some simple options

New the the Mercedes community. 2 months ago, I picked up an 08 C300 4matic with 10k miles. Couldn't be happier with the car, and probably won't buy anything but a mercedes for all reasons, car, warranty, no hassle with sales person, etc. Basically they def. seperate themselves from the pack of nonesense you look to avoid with dealerships.

I'm just a bit surprised that for all the car I bought, my past VW's have had "nice to have options" that I would expect this luxurious ride to have. I was told from the service dept. that the 350 models have some options, but these are basic stuff.

1) No (DTE) destination till empty??? Whats up with that. I find it somewhat annoying to tell me in the dash twice I need gas, but have no option in there saying how many miles till empty. You have the gas light come on as well as the instrument say "reserve level low" or something like that. A minor "nice to have" option that should be standard. IMHO.

2) Wipers stop dead in there tracks when car is shut off. My VW's would bring the wiper back down to where is lies originally, so if you shut the car off with the wipers on, the wiper would take the final wipe till it goes back down. Again, not a big deal, but a "nice to have". It just looks unprofessional, with the wipers shut off laying on the window.

3) Instrument cluster in dash doesn't remember where I left it. I could be listening to the radio, or ipod and using the steering wheel controls, Turn the car off and it always go back to trip and odometer. Somewhat annoying.

4) Ipod integration should be more integrated. I shouldn't have to purchase a $1300 UMI, just to control my ipod through the center console wheel. I so wish I had the capability to use that wheel to search music and control it. The ipod kit, is nothing more than an aux cable with an ipod end.

5) To me this is a big issue. Mercedes needs to educate their parts reps, on upgrades and options. I called everywhere to get basic info, about the ipod kit, and no real information. No one anywhere knows anything about what u can get for the car, after the purchase. I would probably have bought the UMI, If I knew before hand what junk the ipod kit was. Granted it is still nice to have your ipod on shuffle, but through the steering wheel, thats all its good for, "shuffle". No functionality worth spending the time to use.

6) Basic sound system is junk. My 06 VW GTI had the basic sound system, came with 8 speaker system and very loud and clean. I have already tore this car apart and replaced the whole system. Used a summing device to link a JL Audio amp to the headunit and upgraded to JL Audio C5 interiors with 2 JL W6 10" subs. Sounds absolutely amazing, but again would not have done this if the system was decent. I know, they have the upgraded system, but the basic system should not be paper speakers. Talk about cheap speakers in this thing.

Like I said, best car I've ever owned, but some "nice to haves" that dissapoint me for not being standard.

On another note, coming from a car community of DIYers on the vwortex (vw forums) and doing many mods to my last car, I'm very impressed with the creativity and brave soldiers of not hesitating to work mods on these cars. I wouldn't have taken the car apart to do the sound system without this forum, so THANK YOU. I look forward to doing more work eventually and seeing what else people have done. I've attached pics of old car and new benz. So happy with the new ride. What a sexy car.
Attached Thumbnails Mercedes falls short on some simple options-untitled.jpg   Mercedes falls short on some simple options-img_0147.jpg  
Old 01-17-2010, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Some good points, but there is a DTE function. On the left side of the steering wheel, once the odometer is displayed in the cluster, press the down arrow below the OK three times. The remaining range is displayed under the instantaneous consumption bar graph.

As for the wipers, I noted the same, and was also used to self-parking wipers from other cars. But, now I almost subconsciously just turn off the car when the wipers reach the park position. I leave the wipers on the lowest "ON" setting all the time, allowing the rain sensors to activate as needed. (I crank it up while driving if needed, but never return to OFF, always lowest ON setting). In any covered parking situation, the intervals lengthen enough even after a heavy rain, that this is easy to do. In a downpour with outdoor parking, you might need to think about it for a quick moment to turn the key off when the wipers hit park.

Last edited by Sportstick; 01-17-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:12 PM

2015 E63S AMG
Hey thanks for the reply. I found that feature in the dash, but haven't really understand how its calculated. I feel like its based on every gas pedal movement, which to me is somewhat hard to calculate.

Two other things I found to be somewhat annoying is switching between phone and radio/disc. What a PITA it is to have to use the dash to switch funtions rather than the wheel on the center console. Rather than a back and clear button, there should have been some button to switch menus or allow you to switch another way. Poor software design.

You get kind of used to using that wheel for everything, then bam, need to make a call, now your searching the dash to switch.

Last, the headlights. Just searching this forum, many people will obviously agree with me. Non bi-xenon or hids? Really? I mean I did buy a mercedes right? I know, I didn't get a fully loaded one, but IMO, this should be standard on a car of this class. My 2006 VW GTI had BI-Xenons standard no matter what options you got. They took the time you put the more expensive harnesses in with the eyeball look, but cheaped out on the brains? Another corner cut. My car should say, "yes thats right this is a benz lady and gents" I shouldn't have to aftermarket the headlights on a $40k car. Well now i'm done, those are the only very minor issues I have because i'm somewhat picky. Most will agree tho.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
2017 E300
interesting points. i agree with some, disagree with others.

I have never owned or even heard of a car that had wipers that would finish the swipe after turning off the engine. Of course, I am very limited in the car selection, to only toyota, lexus and mercedes. None of these brands have that feature. Sounds like a really good idea that I now wish i have

second, refers to the bi xenons/HIDs. It sucks that they bundle that with the premium package 2, which includes useless items such as the power sun shade and the folding rear seats. I got the package just so i could have the bi-xenons. I dont know any "luxury" brand that has these as standard unless you get up to the S class/ 7 series/ LS range. Your GTI had it because the GTI is considered the highest trim level you can get in a VW golf.

third, the DTE is based on current consumption. Many people dont like this but it makes sense to me that it follows what your current consumption is. This makes it much more accurate.

fourth, agree with your ipod control. new 2010 models get the navi control for the ipod if they get the nav/HK sound system package.

Enjoy your car.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by joshg1001

I have never owned or even heard of a car that had wipers that would finish the swipe after turning off the engine. Of course, I am very limited in the car selection, to only toyota, lexus and mercedes. None of these brands have that feature. Sounds like a really good idea that I now wish i have

second, refers to the bi xenons/HIDs. It sucks that they bundle that with the premium package 2, which includes useless items such as the power sun shade and the folding rear seats. I got the package just so i could have the bi-xenons. I dont know any "luxury" brand that has these as standard unless you get up to the S class/ 7 series/ LS range. Your GTI had it because the GTI is considered the highest trim level you can get in a VW golf.

third, the DTE is based on current consumption. Many people dont like this but it makes sense to me that it follows what your current consumption is. This makes it much more accurate.

fourth, agree with your ipod control. new 2010 models get the navi control for the ipod if they get the nav/HK sound system package.

Enjoy your car.
That wiper feature is on GM, Ford, and Chrysler products.
Old 01-17-2010, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 E300
lol that would do it, Ive never owned an american car. Though I guess they do come out with some innovative ideas, like this one, once in a while
Old 01-18-2010, 12:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 R350 & 2008 C300
Most of the complaints you have actually apply to all German cars. Audi, BMW and Mercedes all charge for options commonly found on other cars. Yes, its a bit of a downside considering the name plate and the prestige that comes with owning a German car. But, there is reasoning to this, if they were to add all of these features, they would have a car pushing $45k (nicely equipped C300 4matic is going for low $40k's now). The E class which starts at nearly $50k doesn't have most of the features either, same for the 5 Series and the A6.

I would love to see Xenon's become standard equipment also, but seems the trend is already moving away from Xenon. It won't be long before the L.E.D. headlight technology makes its way into the Mercedes lineup.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 297 Likes on 249 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
My list of complaints would be shorter because I don't want to use iPod and even the basic audio is quite sufficient for me (you can have a better audio system as an option, at least in Europe, could be a package in the US).

But I don't understand your wiper issue. Are you using wipers at the constant setting instead of auto, or is it raining all the time at your place? Wipers stop automatically when I drive the car to the garage. But there is one reason for wipers to stop from ignition off, you don't want to bring the car hooked up to Star for wiper change. Wipers have to be at the top position for wiper blade change. The design could have been different but then it would have been a compromise for the air resistance figure (how is it called?) and noise from the passing air flow creating a turbulence over parked wipers.

The cluster menu issue I agree, MB has been going back and forth with this so it actually isn't an MB issue but a model specific issue. The 221 resets to the basic menu too but the 212 does remember the previously selected menu. This might change at the face lift but MB does not change things like this often, changes too would be bad, confusing.

I could agree with point 5 too.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C 320 CDI 4M W204 / C43 AMG (W202) / C 220 CDI T (S203) / ZX-10R Ninja
Some interessting points.
#1 sound system. I do not understand why they equipe "at least" V6 engines with a sound system. Our paper speakers are really bad. Replaced them with stock HK speakers.

#2 Ipod Integration Kit. Same here. If you got the Command system this feature should be standard but

#2 Wiper issue.....I have to agree. Doesn't like this feature eather. You turn off your car and the wiper blade stops in the middle of the front window

I worked for DCX for about 9 years so I know why every thins is optional. So you can build your own individual car...but sometimes it just doesn't make any sense!

At least it's one of the best cars on the world

Oh and BTW welcome to the MB family
Old 01-18-2010, 09:32 AM

2015 E63S AMG
Originally Posted by chilledbenz
Most of the complaints you have actually apply to all German cars. Audi, BMW and Mercedes all charge for options commonly found on other cars. Yes, its a bit of a downside considering the name plate and the prestige that comes with owning a German car. But, there is reasoning to this, if they were to add all of these features, they would have a car pushing $45k (nicely equipped C300 4matic is going for low $40k's now). The E class which starts at nearly $50k doesn't have most of the features either, same for the 5 Series and the A6.

I would love to see Xenon's become standard equipment also, but seems the trend is already moving away from Xenon. It won't be long before the L.E.D. headlight technology makes its way into the Mercedes lineup.
I just think some things like the lights and sound system, should be a standard feature on a car such as a mercedes, not an upgrade. An upgrade should be even better than other cars out there. My standard headlights on a benz, should be comparable to lets say an altimas upgrade. ya know.. Thats what helps set a car apart from the wolfpack.

Originally Posted by Diesel Benz
My list of complaints would be shorter because I don't want to use iPod and even the basic audio is quite sufficient for me (you can have a better audio system as an option, at least in Europe, could be a package in the US).

But I don't understand your wiper issue. Are you using wipers at the constant setting instead of auto, or is it raining all the time at your place? Wipers stop automatically when I drive the car to the garage. But there is one reason for wipers to stop from ignition off, you don't want to bring the car hooked up to Star for wiper change. Wipers have to be at the top position for wiper blade change. The design could have been different but then it would have been a compromise for the air resistance figure (how is it called?) and noise from the passing air flow creating a turbulence over parked wipers.
I'll have to play around with the wipers, never had it set to auto, so i don't know how that stops. Thanks for pointing that out.

Originally Posted by Teck
At least it's one of the best cars on the world

Oh and BTW welcome to the MB family
Thanks! Look forward to having fun with this car. I must say it, yet intimitaing to take the car apart, very easy to do without breaking anything. And is the best car in the world.
Old 01-18-2010, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
All Acura cars have HIDs as standard equipment. It was standard on the TL and RL from 1999, TSX from 2004 introduction, MDX from 2007 redesign, RDX from introduction and ZDX from introduction. I think all carmakers should have followed Acura's example here.

HIDs are also standard equipment on BMW #35i cars, IIRC.
Old 01-18-2010, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by autockr989
Hey thanks for the reply. I found that feature in the dash, but haven't really understand how its calculated. I feel like its based on every gas pedal movement, which to me is somewhat hard to calculate.

Two other things I found to be somewhat annoying is switching between phone and radio/disc. What a PITA it is to have to use the dash to switch funtions rather than the wheel on the center console. Rather than a back and clear button, there should have been some button to switch menus or allow you to switch another way. Poor software design.

You get kind of used to using that wheel for everything, then bam, need to make a call, now your searching the dash to switch.

Last, the headlights. Just searching this forum, many people will obviously agree with me. Non bi-xenon or hids? Really? I mean I did buy a mercedes right? I know, I didn't get a fully loaded one, but IMO, this should be standard on a car of this class. My 2006 VW GTI had BI-Xenons standard no matter what options you got. They took the time you put the more expensive harnesses in with the eyeball look, but cheaped out on the brains? Another corner cut. My car should say, "yes thats right this is a benz lady and gents" I shouldn't have to aftermarket the headlights on a $40k car. Well now i'm done, those are the only very minor issues I have because i'm somewhat picky. Most will agree tho.
I also found it odd that the 204 dial does not control the menu selection between phone, navigation etc. while the 221 does. But you can do it from the cluster menu with the steering wheel buttons, no need to use the buttons at the dash. And voice control of course is another option (I always forget this because I don't have it).

I would not complain about missing features that can be purchased as an option. Of course it adds cost but the more there are standard features, the more likely it is that you pay for something you don't need or use. Those US packages just make the selection a bit more difficult when each option cannot be purchased independently.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
All Acura cars have HIDs as standard equipment. It was standard on the TL and RL from 1999, TSX from 2004 introduction, MDX from 2007 redesign, RDX from introduction and ZDX from introduction. I think all carmakers should have followed Acura's example here.

HIDs are also standard equipment on BMW #35i cars, IIRC.
I agree with ChilledBenz that most makers have passed on rolling out HID acrross the board and are focusing on LED technology now. LED has a ton of benefits and I am especially looking forward to seeing many of the unique designs that LED lights will allow.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W204 C280
I have the destination till empty feature on my car. Could it be because I'm a Euro version?
Old 01-18-2010, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by albert101
I have the destination till empty feature on my car. Could it be because I'm a Euro version?

See post #2 above.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
autockr989, I came from VW/ Audis and Vortex as well. You will find that there are way fewer DIYers here because there is nothing to do. The aftermarket stuff for this car consists mainly of ebay spoilers, wheels and finally some good suspension options. Some members have this odd obsession with lights (no offense guys). Anyway, I got the 6MT hoping to mate it with a bit more power. I guess we'll see if there will be any worthwhile mods in that area.

I thought the W204 fell short on the "nice to haves" as well. My biggest complaint is that the W204 doesn't have a standard folding rear seat. That's just crazy to me. O yeah, the speakers do suck on the base audio system. Good thing for us Vic did the DIY for replacing them.

To me the W204 does have something that you can't quite put your finger on though. I picked it apart a lot when I first got it, eventhough I really wanted it. After living with it and driving it, I started realize that the W204 is a very solid car. It is almost in a league of it's own compared to its competiton. I tested the competition. Eventhough there were more powerful cars out there at the time, I kept coming back to the C.

I think you'll appreciate the car more and more as time goes on.

Last edited by Derspeed; 01-18-2010 at 10:04 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The reason why windshield wipers don't return to the original location when you turn off the car. It's kind of a tribute to the DTM style, but that's just my guess.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by albert101
I believe there is a market dependent difference. At least some US cars only show the miles till empty up to the point the reserve is reached. Euro cars usually keep on showing miles all the way to the end (I've seen zero miles but not the end ). But I think the new (Euro) 212 also starts showing a warning icon only once the reserve level is reached, not sure.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 E300
i only wish by car had a backup camera and keyless go (back in 2009), as well as a venilated seats option.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:45 AM

2018 E300 4MATIC Sedan
Originally Posted by Derspeed
autockr989, I came from VW/ Audis and Vortex as well. You will find that there are way fewer DIYers here because there is nothing to do. The aftermarket stuff for this car consists mainly of ebay spoilers, wheels and finally some good suspension options. Some members have this odd obsession with lights (no offense guys). Anyway, I got the 6MT hoping to mate it with a bit more power. I guess we'll see if there will be any worthwhile mods in that area.

I thought the W204 fell short on the "nice to haves" as well. My biggest complaint is that the W204 doesn't have a standard folding rear seat. That's just crazy to me. O yeah, the speakers do suck on the base audio system. Good thing for us Vic did the DIY for replacing them.

To me the W204 does have something that you can't quite put your finger on though. I picked it apart a lot when I first got it, eventhough I really wanted it. After living with it and driving it, I started realize that the W204 is a very solid car. It is almost in a league of it's own compared to its competiton. I tested the competition. Eventhough there were more powerful cars out there at the time, I kept coming back to the C.

Derspeed,

Great post ! I glad to see I am not the only one confused by the obsession with lights on this forum.

I also share your frustration with the lack of folding rear seats. Everytime I go snowboarding ( once a week ) I have to take my wife's Audi A4 since my board won't fit in the C350...

Nick
Old 01-19-2010, 01:15 PM

2010 C300 4Matic, 2018 GLC300
Not the case ..

Originally Posted by NickCats
Derspeed,

Great post ! I glad to see I am not the only one confused by the obsession with lights on this forum.

I also share your frustration with the lack of folding rear seats. Everytime I go snowboarding ( once a week ) I have to take my wife's Audi A4 since my board won't fit in the C350...

Nick

I just got C3004M 2010) and has folding split seats in the back so I can ut long objects (skis etc.)
Old 01-20-2010, 12:40 AM

09 C350
Originally Posted by joshg1001

Enjoy your car.
- I have a cheapo POS 08 Dodge Caliber that returns the wipers to the bottom when you shut off the car mid wipe.. My Mercedes and BMW = nope don't do it..
Old 01-20-2010, 01:05 AM

C-300, XC70, Wrangler
Originally Posted by lickem66
- I have a cheapo POS 08 Dodge Caliber that returns the wipers to the bottom when you shut off the car mid wipe.. My Mercedes and BMW = nope don't do it..
Um ... there are times in winter weather when I appreciate that the wipers are upright rather than down when I shut the car off. Those times are when it's snowing, icing, and I know that I'll be scraping the windshield before I can drive the car. Much easier to get the windshield clean if the wipers are not flat at the bottom

I suspect that may have something to do with why some European cars act this way.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:53 AM

Mercedes S204 C320 CDI
The most annoying bit about the COMMAND system, to me, is that, in order to change sound sources you have to have the screen open. I mean, when I'm listening to a music CD, when it reaches the end, it switches to the HD automatically. If I want to go back to my CD, I still haven't found a way of doing it whit the screen closed.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:09 AM

2015 E63S AMG
Originally Posted by Derspeed

I absolutely love the car. As for the mods, I'm not looking to do anything like what i did on the vw. I've learned to drive this car civilized, and appreciate its beauty rather than have a loud, fast, obnoctious ride. I've decided not to put my rims from the vw on this, and ruin the integrity of the ride. I put a banging system in and might replace interior lights, (haven't decided LEDS or POLARG). Still lots of discussion threads to read through before I decide. The "nice to haves" were no deal breaker. You are def. right when u say this car is in a league of its own. That is without question. Everyday I go outside to get in my car, I and think "HOW PIMPINNNN is that!!!!!!! hahahaha

I think the complaints I've made were more as something that stumped me more than annoyed me. Overall the car is art work.

Last edited by autockr989; 01-20-2010 at 09:15 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mercedes falls short on some simple options