SL-Class (R232) Discussion on the 2022 R232

SL/R232: I´m done

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:13 PM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
SL63 AMG
I´m done

I made a thread and in order not to make it longer, I'm going to create a new one. (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...-problems.html)

I'm fed up with all the problems this car has been giving me, a lot of repairs, and the last 2 I had, were for the same thing and the exact same parts broke. (obviously covered by warranty).
When the car is running well, I have no complaints, it is an agile and very well designed car, but I have not been able to enjoy it for more than a week since the last repair as it has failed again. I have spent more time with the car in the Mercedes workshop than driving it.
A few weeks ago they fixed the same transmission problem (converter and hydraulic plate they told me) that they fixed a while ago, and it broke down again. I'm tired of constantly taking it in for repairs. I'm going to try to make claims and escalate this as much as possible and also contact lawyers to request a new car since this one has a very serious factory problem. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS CAR AT ALL (2022 model) I don't know what the newer models will be like.

Last edited by aguitadeowito; Yesterday at 12:15 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by aguitadeowito:
California John (Yesterday), Mike P (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 04:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,651 Likes on 2,255 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by aguitadeowito
I made a thread and in order not to make it longer, I'm going to create a new one. (https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...-problems.html)

I'm fed up with all the problems this car has been giving me, a lot of repairs, and the last 2 I had, were for the same thing and the exact same parts broke. (obviously covered by warranty).
When the car is running well, I have no complaints, it is an agile and very well designed car, but I have not been able to enjoy it for more than a week since the last repair as it has failed again. I have spent more time with the car in the Mercedes workshop than driving it.
A few weeks ago they fixed the same transmission problem (converter and hydraulic plate they told me) that they fixed a while ago, and it broke down again. I'm tired of constantly taking it in for repairs. I'm going to try to make claims and escalate this as much as possible and also contact lawyers to request a new car since this one has a very serious factory problem. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS CAR AT ALL (2022 model) I don't know what the newer models will be like.
Sorry to hear that but what would you replace it with, I mean a V8 German convertible, is there still a thing out there new other than R232 : ( ?
Old Yesterday, 04:43 PM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
SL63 AMG
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Sorry to hear that but what would you replace it with, I mean a V8 German convertible, is there still a thing out there new other than R232 : ( ?
I like the car, i would like mercedes to replace with the same car but without problems... i will wait until 10 sept to go to mercedes and tell all about this
Old Today, 07:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,490 Likes on 983 Posts
No more MB:(
M8!! Or even an M850!!
Old Today, 07:41 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by places
M8!! Or even an M850!!
The interior looks like a 3 series for the money but I mean it isn't a bad interior. That car might be the only closest option to the R232 SL competitor wise, going Porsche you "only" get a six.
Old Today, 07:45 AM

Received 84 Likes on 50 Posts
SL65(R231), SL65(R230), 600SL, 560SL(86), 560SL(89),250SL(68),250SL(67), 190SL, 300SL(GW)
I guess the Limited Pimp Edition( by the number of "look at me" buyers) SL69 Maybach is out ??? MB management should be ashamed of themselves. They destroyed the brand in a few short years.
**** poor engineering decisions and even worse is the lackadaisical attitude. My potential order for a SL63e Performance may never happen. I'm not about to beta test.

I recall several forum posts defending the R232. I wonder if they are real clients or are associated with dealerships or parent company??? Indefensible!!!!
Old Today, 08:21 AM

Received 98 Likes on 60 Posts
M8 convert + model Y

my M8 I bought after cancelling SL. And it has real buttons !
The following users liked this post:
hornethandler (Today)
Old Today, 09:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The interior looks like a 3 series for the money but I mean it isn't a bad interior. That car might be the only closest option to the R232 SL competitor wise, going Porsche you "only" get a six.
I see zero resemblance. We find the fit and finish in our M8 levels above the 3.

The following 2 users liked this post by places:
hornethandler (Today), van_rider (Today)
Old Today, 10:36 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by mmmamg

my M8 I bought after cancelling SL. And it has real buttons !
The real buttons is a selling point I have to be brutally honest and admit.
Old Today, 10:37 AM
Out Of Control!!

I see zero resemblance. We find the fit and finish in our M8 levels above the 3.
I am talking about the interior and to be honest, I got such comment from the savage geese guys on youtube. I should had cited my source, sorry about that.
youtube.com/watch?v=Cc5kVGVLuaE
Old Today, 10:40 AM
Out Of Control!!

The real buttons is a selling point I have to be brutally honest and admit.
Sadly though the newer BMWs are doing the capacitive touch MB is doing, starting with the new 5 series. The fact they burried the light controls in menus is another thing.
Old Today, 11:06 AM

Received 98 Likes on 60 Posts
M8 convert + model Y
M8 is my weekend fun car. I had zero issue in 2 years, I don't use trickle charger and it always starts and delivers happy drive. In engineering we call this 'works as designed'
The following users liked this post:
places (Today)
Old Today, 11:08 AM

Received 129 Likes on 68 Posts
2022 SL55 AMG Roadster; 2024 Land Rover P400 Defender 110; 2020 Porsche Macan S; 2023 Audi Q5
Originally Posted by Mike P
I guess the Limited Pimp Edition( by the number of "look at me" buyers) SL69 Maybach is out ??? MB management should be ashamed of themselves. They destroyed the brand in a few short years.
**** poor engineering decisions and even worse is the lackadaisical attitude. My potential order for a SL63e Performance may never happen. I'm not about to beta test.

I recall several forum posts defending the R232. I wonder if they are real clients or are associated with dealerships or parent company??? Indefensible!!!!
Yes, I am a "real" client. I wonder why it is you continue to talk about your potential order for an SL63e when you clearly, at this time, hate the brand and this product? Have you ever driven an R232?

I purchased my SL55 in 2/23 and other than the depreciation I've been very happy with the car and the service I've received (one check engine light, otherwise only updates) from my dealer (which was not the one I purchased the car from). I know there are problematic cars out there, but from what perspective do you assess the response of MB? My biggest complaint is the depreciation, which I pretty much expected when I bought it. What have you determined is a lackadaisical attitude from MBUSA? Not sure of your basis for this conclusion. Per your signature you have a lot of experience with MB, so perhaps you've noticed a difference over the years. I have experience with a multitude of brands (my "fun" cars have included 7 Porsche 911s, 7 Ferraris, 3 Astons, 3 Maseratis, an Audi R8, a Jaguar, and a Lamborghini Diablo; all but two of the Ferraris and one of the Porsches were purchased new) and in my experience MB is no better or worse than the others.

As an aside, this is by far the most toxic internet forum I've ever been a part of.

Last edited by drgek; Today at 11:11 AM.
Old Today, 11:13 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by drgek
Yes, I am a "real" client. I wonder why it is you continue to talk about your potential order for an SL63e when you clearly, at this time, hate the brand and this product? Have you ever driven an R232?

I purchased my SL55 in 2/23 and other than the depreciation I've been very happy with the car and the service I've received (one check engine light, otherwise only updates) from my dealer (which was not the one I purchased the car from). I know there are problematic cars out there, but from what perspective do you assess the response of MB? My biggest complaint is the depreciation, which I pretty much expected when I bought it. What have you assessed as a lackadaisical attitude from MBUSA? Not sure of your basis for this conclusion. Per your signature you have a lot of experience with MB, so perhaps you've noticed a difference over the years. I have experience with a multitude of brands (my "fun" cars have included 7 Porsche 911s, 7 Ferraris, 3 Astons, 3 Maseratis, a Jaguar, and a Lamborghini Diablo; all but two of the Ferraris and one of the Porsches were purchased new) and in my experience MB is no better or worse than the others.

As an aside, this is by far the most toxic internet forum I've ever been a part of.
Just to insert context, the other forum member was talking about MB wasting time and resources on the new Maybach SL based on the R232, putting Maybach logos all over the hood and even the soft top. I mean that is not new, MB had been putting logos inside trim pieces, screens, as a form of projection, taillights, headlights, diffuser, front bumper, grille, etc. Maybach was that but on steroids.https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-r232/869490-2025-sl-maybach.html
Old Today, 11:18 AM

Received 129 Likes on 68 Posts
2022 SL55 AMG Roadster; 2024 Land Rover P400 Defender 110; 2020 Porsche Macan S; 2023 Audi Q5
Just to insert context, the other forum member was talking about MB wasting time and resources on the new Maybach SL based on the R232, putting Maybach logos all over the hood and even the soft top. I mean that is not new, MB had been putting logos inside trim pieces, screens, as a form of projection, taillights, headlights, diffuser, front bumper, grille, etc. Maybach was that but on steroids.https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...l-maybach.html
Yes, that was part of his post and it's the part I would agree wholeheartedly with. But I interpreted the rest of the post as being directed at the R232 cars in general and consistent with many other of his contributions. If that was not his intent, I would offer my apologies.
Old Today, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am talking about the interior and to be honest, I got such comment from the savage geese guys on youtube. I should had cited my source, sorry about that.
youtube.com/watch?v=Cc5kVGVLuaE
No apology necessary!!
Old Today, 03:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by drgek
Yes, that was part of his post and it's the part I would agree wholeheartedly with. But I interpreted the rest of the post as being directed at the R232 cars in general and consistent with many other of his contributions. If that was not his intent, I would offer my apologies.
No apology necessary!!
I see. Understood.

Thank you, I appreciate your understanding. I like the 8 series, the price was terrible at first but they dialed it back down, as you already know they were trying to upsell existing 6 series owners. I heard there are rumours they are bringing back the 6? Is that true?