Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > C-Class (W204)
Tire size recommendation >

Tire size recommendation

Notices
C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Tire size recommendation

 
Old 03-28-2010, 07:29 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: MD
Posts: 280
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2014 E350 Sport 4Matic
Tire size recommendation

I bought a new set of wheels that are 18"/8.5"/45 ET front and back.

I'm planning to put 245/40/18 tires all around. But I've noticed that most people here have 235 in the front. Would there be any rubbing issues or would the tire stick out if I go with 245 in front?
Pristine is offline  
Old 03-28-2010, 08:34 PM
  #2  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
AMGTTV8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Republic of California
Posts: 2,015
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by Pristine View Post
I bought a new set of wheels that are 18"/8.5"/45 ET front and back.

I'm planning to put 245/40/18 tires all around. But I've noticed that most people here have 235 in the front. Would there be any rubbing issues or would the tire stick out if I go with 245 in front?
Yeah - 245 = fender rub...

I run 235's and have random rub on deep dips
AMGTTV8 is offline  
Old 03-28-2010, 08:48 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: MD
Posts: 280
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2014 E350 Sport 4Matic
Originally Posted by WWMIndy View Post
Yeah - 245 = fender rub...

I run 235's and have random rub on deep dips
OK, thanks for letting me know.
I'll stick with 235 front and back then.
Pristine is offline  
Old 03-29-2010, 08:09 PM
  #4  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
AMGTTV8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Republic of California
Posts: 2,015
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by Pristine View Post
OK, thanks for letting me know.
I'll stick with 235 front and back then.
why dont you run a 255 rear? that's what i've got - tracks a bit better now
AMGTTV8 is offline  
Old 03-29-2010, 08:47 PM
  #5  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Delaware
Posts: 1,334
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Using same size, non-directional tires allows cross rotation, for minimal noise and best tread wear.
kevink2 is offline  
Old 03-29-2010, 10:11 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: MD
Posts: 280
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2014 E350 Sport 4Matic
Originally Posted by kevink2 View Post
Using same size, non-directional tires allows cross rotation, for minimal noise and best tread wear.
Yes, that's why I'm going with 235 all around.
Also, since both front and rears are 8.5, the shape of tires might look funny if i use wider tires in back and narrower in front.

I hope 235 don't cause any rubbing issues on the fronts though.
Pristine is offline  
Old 03-30-2010, 06:09 PM
  #7  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Krytech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 1,423
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 Ghibli S Q4 & 2008 C350
Originally Posted by Pristine View Post
Yes, that's why I'm going with 235 all around.
Also, since both front and rears are 8.5, the shape of tires might look funny if i use wider tires in back and narrower in front.

I hope 235 don't cause any rubbing issues on the fronts though.
I've only had my 235 fronts rub when I back out of the driveway and have the wheels cranked close to all the way. It's a minor rub that has never left anything visible on the tires or the fender lip.
Krytech is offline  
Old 03-31-2010, 05:45 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: MD
Posts: 280
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2014 E350 Sport 4Matic
Originally Posted by Krytech View Post
I've only had my 235 fronts rub when I back out of the driveway and have the wheels cranked close to all the way. It's a minor rub that has never left anything visible on the tires or the fender lip.
That's good to know. It might be an issue with me because I have to back out of my driveway with wheels turned all the way since I have a narrow street.

I may have a bigger problem since I have 8.5" wheels in front compared to 8" that you have. I think I should consider 225 front and 235 back then. Would 225 be OK for 8.5" wheel?
Pristine is offline  
Old 04-29-2010, 05:34 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: MD
Posts: 280
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2014 E350 Sport 4Matic
After talking to TireRack they recommend going with 225/40 all around to be on the safe side and avoid any rubbing especially in front since it is a 8.5" wheel. I'd would prefer to get 235 for looks, but I'd rather avoid any issues with rubbing.

I hope that doesn't look too weak in the back because i currently have 245 in the back.

Let me know if anyone has suggestions.
Pristine is offline  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tire size recommendation


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: