C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

New first time owner, with lots of questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C300S
New first time owner, with lots of questions

I want to control my iphone thru the instrument panel but I don't think that I have the right hook up for it.

All there is an AUX jack in the glove box. When I test drove the 2010, I hooked up my iphone with a cord that plugged into the bottom of the ipod not the speaker jack and I could control it with the steering wheel.

Can I buy a connector cord, something like that or do I have to shell out big bucks at the dealership?

Please help me, the poor noob
Old 04-05-2010, 03:38 PM

2008 C 300 sport
Welcome,

From what you are describing, I don't believe you have the ipod integration kit. It would be another wire in the glove box next to the aux jack. I believe the dealer price is just under $400 for the kit. You can just get a SD card & PCMCIA card & play & control your music that way. I kinda like that way vs the ipod way better, there are threads that better explain how to do this just search the forum.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C300
The test drive vehicle you were in probably had the Ipod integration Kit which allows you to connect the Ipod//Iphone on the bottom where you would normally charge. This is a dealer option which is about $400.

There was a thread regarding a DIY I think but I don't remember if it was to integrate the actual Ipod/Iphone cable that attaches to the bottom or if it was just an audio jack.

I'm sure your able to buy a connector cord but I don't think it would let you control it from the steering wheel unless you have it programed by a dealer (Correct me if I'm mistaken).

I personally have the integration kit and everytime I plug my Iphone in, it ask me to switch to "airplane mode" which basically won't let me receive any calls.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C300
Originally Posted by duck718nyc
Welcome,

From what you are describing, I don't believe you have the ipod integration kit. It would be another wire in the glove box next to the aux jack. I believe the dealer price is just under $400 for the kit. You can just get a SD card & PCMCIA card & play & control your music that way. I kinda like that way vs the ipod way better, there are threads that better explain how to do this just search the forum.
^ +1

I also just went the PCMCIA route.

Picked up this one on Ebay (Confirmed to work with SDHC Cards):
http://cgi.ebay.com/SDHC-SD-MS-to-PC...62115087379160

with a 8gb SDHC memcard:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

So much easier and less of a headache.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:38 PM

C300
usb

you have a usb plug in the glove box? i have the ipod connection kit in my car i bought last week. personally i ll never hook up my iphone to it since its all the way in the glove box. unless i buy an ipod with like a cracked screen cause i really dont care how it looks cause it ll be in the glove box

what i found out through this forum is that you can connect a usb flash stick to the usb cord if you have one. they are pretty cheap, hold lots of music and can be left in the glovebox.

if you dont have usb, aux is the only way you can do it and u cant change the songs from the steering wheel. sucks, i know. my beamer had it in the arm rest which was do-able. yours is in the glove box. why? i have no idea. of course you can buy a long aux cord from radio shack and fish it all the way to the arm rest, probably not an easy task.

the only thing i ll miss not using my iphone is pandora. always worked perfectly in my beamer. personally i wouldnt dish out 400$ for the ipod kit, it came already in my car whether i wanted it or not.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S550
Originally Posted by Stucazzo
you have a usb plug in the glove box? i have the ipod connection kit in my car i bought last week. personally i ll never hook up my iphone to it since its all the way in the glove box. unless i buy an ipod with like a cracked screen cause i really dont care how it looks cause it ll be in the glove box

what i found out through this forum is that you can connect a usb flash stick to the usb cord if you have one. they are pretty cheap, hold lots of music and can be left in the glovebox.

if you dont have usb, aux is the only way you can do it and u cant change the songs from the steering wheel. sucks, i know. my beamer had it in the arm rest which was do-able. yours is in the glove box. why? i have no idea. of course you can buy a long aux cord from radio shack and fish it all the way to the arm rest, probably not an easy task.

the only thing i ll miss not using my iphone is pandora. always worked perfectly in my beamer. personally i wouldnt dish out 400$ for the ipod kit, it came already in my car whether i wanted it or not.
Can you advise where there is a USB input?? I am quite interested as I rather not use the AUX
Old 04-28-2010, 09:28 PM

C300
Originally Posted by clkcadet
Can you advise where there is a USB input?? I am quite interested as I rather not use the AUX
it comes with the ipod hook up, so if you dont have that, u dont have the usb. personally all this stuff about ipod is ridiculous with car manufacturers. why is this stuff extra? it should come stock on high end cars like this. my cousins honda SI has aux and usb. welcome to america, any way to make a quick buck. trust me if i had to i wouldnt of bought the ipod hookup, it was already in the car i wanted so i was forced to buy it. maybe later on i ll appreciate it, but right now, i dont. and sirius sucks ***, wtf
Old 04-28-2010, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S550
it comes with the ipod hook up, so if you dont have that, u dont have the usb. personally all this stuff about ipod is ridiculous with car manufacturers. why is this stuff extra? it should come stock on high end cars like this. my cousins honda SI has aux and usb. welcome to america, any way to make a quick buck. trust me if i had to i wouldnt of bought the ipod hookup, it was already in the car i wanted so i was forced to buy it. maybe later on i ll appreciate it, but right now, i dont. and sirius sucks ***, wtf
LOL! I hear ya.

I do not have ipod connection, so I will make due with the AUX and Sirius. They give a discount if you have more than 1 car so its no big deal.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by clkcadet
LOL! I hear ya.

I do not have ipod connection, so I will make due with the AUX and Sirius. They give a discount if you have more than 1 car so its no big deal.

If you're purchasing and in for the long run, look at the Sirius lifetime sub. At $399, it works out to just about $8/month by year 4. They don't seem to push it much, but it's there for the asking.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:25 PM

2010 C 300

I have a 2010 w Ipod integration kit and there is not a usb port with the ipod plug.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S550
Originally Posted by Sportstick
If you're purchasing and in for the long run, look at the Sirius lifetime sub. At $399, it works out to just about $8/month by year 4. They don't seem to push it much, but it's there for the asking.
Damnit! Just realized I dont even have Sirius. I just got the car today (no p1), and there was a paper on the seat saying try sirius for 6 months so I thought I got lucky and Sirius was installed.... I went back into the car to see if Sirius was installed and it is not (pressed radio and I only had FM,AM and WB)
Old 04-29-2010, 01:13 PM

Lexus IS 350 F Sport
Originally Posted by Bunniee
I want to control my iphone thru the instrument panel but I don't think that I have the right hook up for it.

All there is an AUX jack in the glove box. When I test drove the 2010, I hooked up my iphone with a cord that plugged into the bottom of the ipod not the speaker jack and I could control it with the steering wheel.

Can I buy a connector cord, something like that or do I have to shell out big bucks at the dealership?

Please help me, the poor noob
Welcome to MBWorld Nice to see another female on the board yaay !!
Old 04-29-2010, 03:44 PM

2010 C300 4matic Special Edition
Originally Posted by Joearch
I have a 2010 w Ipod integration kit and there is not a usb port with the ipod plug.
My 2010 C300 came with 3 short leads, 1 for the iPod, 1 for a USB and the other was an audio/video input. They can be connected inside the glove box. My car is Canadian (eh!) and I know that there are a few extras over the US model. Roger
Old 04-30-2010, 12:26 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

BBS LM's 18's + Kics
welcome aboard
Old 07-21-2010, 05:32 PM

2010 C300 Sport, 2007 335i Sedan
WAIT... is there or is there not a USB port in the glove box? I'm getting a 2010 C300 with ipod/aux integration. I'd like to know if there is USB port for a flash drive there because I would much rather use that than PCMCIA!!!

Can someone please confirm definitively??
Old 07-21-2010, 05:48 PM

Think I got my answer... the Media Interface cable basically converts the ipod connector to USB. Sweet!!!
Old 07-21-2010, 08:16 PM

Wait again... does the Media Interface USB cable work with Multimedia Package with ipod kit?
Old 07-21-2010, 09:59 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2018 E300 Lux, 2006 Corvette Z51, 2015 Mercedes ML350 (wife's)
Originally Posted by lkevinl
Wait again... does the Media Interface USB cable work with Multimedia Package with ipod kit?
My car came with a cable that allows you to hook up an iPod or an external aux player. From what I've read, you can purchase the USB cable seperately through the dealer to work with the iPod integration system.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by BlackjackM
My car came with a cable that allows you to hook up an iPod or an external aux player. From what I've read, you can purchase the USB cable seperately through the dealer to work with the iPod integration system.
That is correct... it is $72 and the dealer wouldn't throw it in with my new car. Bummer. Any idea of the exact name of this cable and a part number? Is this something I can get on ebay?
Old 08-10-2010, 05:16 PM

2010 P31 Obsidian; 1990 ZX11
Originally Posted by Rogwp
My 2010 C300 came with 3 short leads, 1 for the iPod, 1 for a USB and the other was an audio/video input. They can be connected inside the glove box. My car is Canadian (eh!) and I know that there are a few extras over the US model. Roger
Anyone know what the part number is for this cable with the three shorts leads (short USB cable included, not modified with the aux or iPod connector)?