C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Daytime Running Lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Mercedes Benz C350 CDi
Daytime Running Lights

For the life of me, I cannot work out why we need daytime running lights. Is it just something that is suppose to look good. If this is the reason, I actually might be the odd one out here but I don't think they look good. Maybe on some large "gangster" type car they might look appropriate. If its dark enough, the car switches my lights on automatically. I don't need lights on when the sun is out....
Old 05-01-2010, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S550
Its a safety thing, and in the states some insurance companies give a discount for having DRLs
Old 05-01-2010, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
2017 E300
the DRL on the current C classes is just the regular headlights being on all the time.

I tend to like DRLs because it provides just enough illumination when first going into a dark space, like a parking garage. On my other vehicles, the auto headlights dont come on that quick, and has a 20 second delay.

Its also good for on coming traffic so they can see you.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Geoff000
For the life of me, I cannot work out why we need daytime running lights. Is it just something that is suppose to look good. If this is the reason, I actually might be the odd one out here but I don't think they look good. Maybe on some large "gangster" type car they might look appropriate. If its dark enough, the car switches my lights on automatically. I don't need lights on when the sun is out....

Governments don't issue regulations for style. There is data which indicates that the lights make a car more noticeable to other drivers and pedestrians and reduce accidents. That is why Canada requires them. Other countries may as well, but the requirement is based on safety.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:16 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

BBS LM's 18's + Kics
safety issue
Old 05-04-2010, 07:28 AM

I can relate to the safety aspect to some degree, but when all the manufacturers eventually catch up and all the cars are driving around during the day time with all their LED lights on I just think it will water down the safety benefits. Anyway I guess you can turn them off... I hope so anyway!
Old 05-04-2010, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
'17 GTR, '17 GLC43, '14 Panigale 899, '20 V4
I can relate to the safety aspect to some degree, but when all the manufacturers eventually catch up and all the cars are driving around during the day time with all their LED lights on I just think it will water down the safety benefits. Anyway I guess you can turn them off... I hope so anyway!
Um no...it won't water down the safety aspect...that's why motorcycles have had DRL's for decades!
Old 05-04-2010, 06:49 PM

Oh well I guess we will have to wait and see whether accidents, as a result of the DRL fall as time progresses. I somehow doubt that it will....
Old 05-04-2010, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Oh well I guess we will have to wait and see whether accidents, as a result of the DRL fall as time progresses. I somehow doubt that it will....

The primary effect already happened...they were introduced in Canada in 1990. Not sure when Australia law was enacted, though.

http://www.iihs.org/research/qanda/drl.html

Last edited by Sportstick; 05-04-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:12 AM

C-Class Sport 2010
i was thinking about it yesterday.. i have the DLR's (Led's below) on my C-Sport, and if i compare my Merc with another without the DLR's, mine looks more 'sporty' and a bit more agressive..

Another advantage.. i've noticed that people will go out of the way quicker for a car with Led's.. correct me if i'm wrong? :p

Greetings from Belgium!
Old 05-05-2010, 06:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Day Time Headlights increase fuel usage especially if they are headlights on low beam.

I understood some European cars have dedicated lights with lower wattage that are more fuel efficient.

In my opinion , it all boils down that when the ambient light is not so good ie dull cloudy weather or rain , DLR's are the way to go.

Also driving a car with a "safe" colour helps ie white or yellow.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:09 AM
Administrator

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by Carsy
Day Time Headlights increase fuel usage especially if they are headlights on low beam.

I understood some European cars have dedicated lights with lower wattage that are more fuel efficient.

BTW
Want to make you car more fuel efficient? Go to the bathroom prior to getting into your car and driving off. That weight loss will help with improving your gas mileage.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:52 AM

C-Class Sport 2010
Originally Posted by amdeutsch

BTW
Want to make you car more fuel efficient? Go to the bathroom prior to getting into your car and driving off. That weight loss will help with improving your gas mileage.

btw: Doesn't matter if my car is fuel efficient.. i've got a fuel-card from work..
Old 05-05-2010, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Big time spenders just like the Greeks !!

Running with your lights on costs you more than you think:-

LED daytime running lights on Audi A4
DRL power consumption varies widely depending on the implementation. Traditional low beam headlights consume up to 180 W - with headlamps and all parking, tail, and marker lights on the overall power consumption for lights is in the range of 150 W to 200 W. Traditional dedicated DRL systems use low-power, high-efficacy light bulbs in the range of 5 W to 21 W - that is 10 W to 42 W for both lights. Current production DRL systems based on LED lights consume 6 to 15 watts.
International regulators, primarily in Europe, are working to balance the potential safety benefit offered by DRL with the increased fuel consumption due to their use. Because the power to run the DRLs must be produced by the engine, which in turn requires burning additional fuel, high-power DRL systems increase CO2 emissions sufficiently to affect a country's compliance with the Kyoto protocol on greenhouse gas emissions.[9] For that reason, low-power solutions are being encouraged[10] for use when and if DRLs become mandatory in ECE Regulations. LEDs and low-power, high-efficacy, long-life light bulbs produce appropriate amounts of light for an effective DRL without significantly increasing fuel consumption or emissions. Fuel consumption reductions of up to 0.5 mpg may be found when comparing a 55 W DRL system to a 200 W DRL system.[11]
In 2006, the UK's Department of Transport also found significant reductions in emissions and fuel consumption when comparing a 42 W DRL system to a 160 W full headlight DRL systems.[12] DRL fuel consumption can be reduced to insignificant levels by the use of 8 to 20 W DRL systems based on LEDs or high-efficacy filament bulbs.
The additional fuel consumption to drive normal car lights is considered to be on average around 0.2 l/100 km. With dedicated LED DRLs the fuel equivalent drops to around 0.01 l/100 km.[13]

Interesting Info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daytime_running_lamp

Last edited by Carsy; 05-06-2010 at 03:31 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 03:49 AM

C-Class Sport 2010
Big time spenders just like the Greeks !!
Let's not go there.. i'm not sure if you have seen the news yesterday about the incidents @ Greece?

My point is, how much would it cost you extra on fuel?
If you really want to lower your costs & looking to save some money.. you shouldn't by a mercedes..

VW service costs 45procent less than Mercedes.. same thing with the parts, insurance costs.. etc
Old 05-06-2010, 05:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Midnite
Let's not go there.. i'm not sure if you have seen the news yesterday about the incidents @ Greece?

If you really want to lower your costs & looking to save some money.. you shouldn't by a mercedes..

VW service costs 45procent less than Mercedes.. same thing with the parts, insurance costs.. etc
I have been trying to make the point that properly engineered running lights will make the vehicle less expensive to run.

As for your comment that I should consider a VW (as good a car as they are ), I find the words arrogant, big headed & pompous spring to mind.

Did you read the link on my previous post?
Old 05-06-2010, 09:48 AM

C-Class Sport 2010
I have been trying to make the point that properly engineered running lights will make the vehicle less expensive to run.

As for your comment that I should consider a VW (as good a car as they are ), I find the words arrogant, big headed & pompous spring to mind.

Did you read the link on my previous post?
I'm sorry Carsy, i've misread your post, didn't mean it that way
Old 05-06-2010, 05:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
C350 Elegance
...Meanwhile, on this side of the Atlantic... and everywhere else for that matter...

This is something that unfortunately in most places will not be solved by logic or reason, but by politicians who don't know or don't care to know. And if the law reads "...low beams must be on...", the cops or traffic court will not buy anything which is not the low beam on even in a one block alley which dead ends.

At least I believe "those are the days of our lives..."
Old 05-06-2010, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm sorry Carsy, i've misread your post, didn't mean it that way
No problems old son.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:44 AM

Anyway, taking the fuel economy and safety aspects out of the equation, I personally think the DRL look like they "cheapen" the look of the car. I know that's personal and many think they look great. I think the straight line DRL on the C class look better the bent line ones on the E Class. The Audi ones look stupid. I wonder if the safety aspect is so important, whether we will see them on race cars?
Old 05-07-2010, 07:22 AM

C-Class Sport 2010
strange thing is.. at first when i saw the A5 Led lights, i thought they looked great.. but yesterday i saw a A5 in my rear view, and i thought it looked bad.. unfinished.. even sloppy.. :-/
Old 05-07-2010, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 294 Likes on 246 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Anyway, taking the fuel economy and safety aspects out of the equation, I personally think the DRL look like they "cheapen" the look of the car. I know that's personal and many think they look great. I think the straight line DRL on the C class look better the bent line ones on the E Class. The Audi ones look stupid. I wonder if the safety aspect is so important, whether we will see them on race cars?
Significantly less facing traffic on race tracks. How much does safety need to get improved to make a compromise over looks justified? I think it does not take long before any safety enhancement looks good once people learn more, irrespectively how bad they look.

Why don't you switch low beams on, then your car looks better.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GLK 350 4M (Iridium Silver), 2010 E350 Coupe (Iridium Silver)

Owning a mercedes doesn't mean you can't be frugal. I love saving money. I even have an e coupe with the 'fuel-efficient' led DRL's .