C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

'The key does not belong to vehicle'

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 04:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C300 Sport LOADED
Question 'The key does not belong to vehicle'

I don't know it's my key or the car. It's in the dealership to diagonos.
So, here is the story

Yesterday, I was driving around and stopped by at the apartment office to talk to manager.
After the talk, I tried to start the car and the car sound it it was starting and suddenly died. I was like 'maybe I didn't turned the key for sufficient time', so I tried to turn the key on but doesn't work(this time car didn't even flinch). I am now worried, so I tought it could be the battery in key fob, so I took out the battery and put them back in the key fob(same battery). I pushed one of the button and red light blinked on the key(so the battery is not an issue) but car didn't response to the clicking(lock or unlock). So, I put the key in ignition and it showed 'the key does not belong to vehicle' sign on the board screen.
At this point, I am like 'are you kidding me this is my key not some stolen key'.
My stare key is in differnt state(my parent's house). So I called the close mercedes dealership and they agreed to help and tow the car.

They are diagnosing my car today so I am waiting to hear back.
It could be the key fob issue or the computer in car issue, IMO. They said if it's the key issue they have to order a key.

I am little disappointed.

Also, to let you guys know, when the car stops, the steering wheel locks itself. So when we tried to tow, the steering was in straight position and locked(thank god) so putting car on towing bed was no problem at this time. But if the steering was turned, it would have been disaster (my car was in the parking lot between two car)

Anyway do any of member know if the new key fob is covered in warranty? If the code chip in key is malfuncting? (my car is 09 c300 with 29000 miles)

Let me know
Thank you.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Under warranty. They should replace/fix it. Period.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
2017 E300
just in the future, you dont need to hold the key while the engine is cranking. Just twist and let you and the car will continue to start
Old 05-19-2010, 12:14 AM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Originally Posted by wanchu83
So, here is the story

Yesterday, I was driving around and stopped by at the apartment office to talk to manager.
After the talk, I tried to start the car and the car sound it it was starting and suddenly died. I was like 'maybe I didn't turned the key for sufficient time', so I tried to turn the key on but doesn't work(this time car didn't even flinch). I am now worried, so I tought it could be the battery in key fob, so I took out the battery and put them back in the key fob(same battery). I pushed one of the button and red light blinked on the key(so the battery is not an issue) but car didn't response to the clicking(lock or unlock). So, I put the key in ignition and it showed 'the key does not belong to vehicle' sign on the board screen.
At this point, I am like 'are you kidding me this is my key not some stolen key'.
My stare key is in differnt state(my parent's house). So I called the close mercedes dealership and they agreed to help and tow the car.

It could be the key fob issue or the computer in car issue, IMO. They said if it's the key issue they have to order a key.

Also, to let you guys know, when the car stops, the steering wheel locks itself. So when we tried to tow, the steering was in straight position and locked(thank god) so putting car on towing bed was no problem at this time. But if the steering was turned, it would have been disaster (my car was in the parking lot between two car)

Anyway do any of member know if the new key fob is covered in warranty? If the code chip in key is malfuncting? (my car is 09 c300 with 29000 miles)

Let me know
Thank you.
The battery is used by the remote function and has nothing to do with starting. The matchup of the key to the car is done by induction in the key receiver.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:58 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 C43
if the battery in the key is too dead to send a signal, the car may have seen it as the wrong key.. i would have put a brand new batt. in the key first
Old 05-19-2010, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05-350slk and 08-c350
Smile

Benz should fix it. It is under warranty.

Originally Posted by wanchu83
So, here is the story

Let me know
Thank you.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:08 PM

05-350slk and 08-c350
Originally Posted by blue00r6
if the battery in the key is too dead to send a signal, the car may have seen it as the wrong key.. i would have put a brand new batt. in the key first
When does the key battery need replace, anyone knows? Thanks.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:24 PM

His mama. Traded y0 mama in because she was squeaking.
Originally Posted by nguyenmd350slk
When does the key battery need replace, anyone knows? Thanks.
When it goes dead. Be weary of the major costs involved with a new key battery. A whopping 3 bucks.

You're welcome.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:35 PM

w204 C300 4matic- Calcite White
Originally Posted by Sathinas
When it goes dead. Be weary of the major costs involved with a new key battery. A whopping 3 bucks.

You're welcome.
Seriously?? How long would the battery last?
Old 05-19-2010, 06:43 PM

Let me ask Mr Owl.

If you're too young to get it, it's a reference to an old Tootsie Pop commercial.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:00 PM

C300 Sport LOADED
they have ordered the new key. we will see it in couple of days(2 dyas to get the key)
The dealership still have my key and car.
I have the light bulb out in left and right tail(according to message on display, although the lights works fine... I think the one of the led it burned)I will fixed that while the car is in dealership
Old 05-19-2010, 10:36 PM

2008 Sport C-300, 2003 Accord Coupe V6
Originally Posted by Sathinas
Let me ask Mr Owl.

If you're too young to get it, it's a reference to an old Tootsie Pop commercial.
Of course, that'll be 3 licks...
The following users liked this post:
darse (06-30-2024)
Old 05-20-2010, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport, RWD, US
By any chance have you done any mods that would include the electrical system such as headlights, etc.?
Old 05-22-2010, 01:05 AM

C300 Sport LOADED
Just thought I would update you guys.
The car is all good. It was the key problem. So, they ordered me a new key and just like that it worked great. Also they took care of the burned led bulbs on both tail lights.
The car feels like new (maybe they reset the ecu or something). The car needs to learn my driving style but for now it's like first time I drove the car.

Oh YEAH, they also got me a new designed key!!! it's pretty sturdy and nice.

'The key does not belong to vehicle'-newkey.jpg
Old 05-22-2010, 01:06 AM

Those are the new keys, huh?

Evil plot surfacing
Old 05-24-2010, 09:49 AM

2009 C200K
Originally Posted by alize1
Seriously?? How long would the battery last?
In the key there is a little red led in the lower corner that's flash when pressing any key.
The manual said that if this led keep flashing , it mean batteries should be changed.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by RLE
The battery is used by the remote function and has nothing to do with starting. The matchup of the key to the car is done by induction in the key receiver.
A bit disappointing in my opinion to see these two comments one after the other. And I mean the latter one when the first one had already explained that the key battery is not needed for the car to recognise the correct key and to allow the car being started.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:31 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 C43
Who is to say that that RLE knows what he is talking about? It's called being a critical thinker.. or a cynical thinker.. one of those
Old 05-24-2010, 08:28 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Critical/cynical

Who is to say that that RLE knows what he is talking about? It's called being a critical thinker.. or a cynical thinker.. one of those
Here's my policy. If I know enough about something to offer a correct answer, I'll do it. If I don't, I keep quiet.

Here is the proof. After unlocking your car, remove the battery holder (contains two lithium batteries) from your car key. Insert the key in the slot and turn it.

The engine will start normally.

Replace the battery holder in the key.

As far as these keys are concerned, these failures are old news at MB. When my 2001 C320 was new, the keys were failing right and left and one of the two keys for that car failed. So far, my W204 keys have been OK.

Last edited by RLE; 05-24-2010 at 08:34 PM. Reason: More info.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C300 Sport, MM, P1
RLE has been a long time member with a couple thousand posts. He knows what he's talking about and has owned a few MBs. I'll take his word any day.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:01 AM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Aw shucks...

Originally Posted by Savage c-300
RLE has been a long time member with a couple thousand posts. He knows what he's talking about and has owned a few MBs. I'll take his word any day.
Bless you, my son.

The check is in the mail.