C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

2010 C300 228HP Loaner review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 12:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 200 Likes on 138 Posts
W212 M276 DELA 30 ; W211 OM642 ; R107 M117, Sierra 1500 LZ0
2010 C300 228HP Loaner review

I'm going to get the worst part out of the way... someone who was really into pipe tobacco or cigars completely ruined the car for me in terms of interior comfort...

Otherwise...

What a great little car! I felt like I was driving a 330i. The suspension was very responsive and it handled very well. I felt so much ground noise and feedback that it really did feel like more of a beemer than MB. The 228HP 3 liter was a nice, high revving little devil. I used the loaner as a chance to teach myself the limits of the 7-speed in manual mode. Red-lining at 6800 RPM is fun compared to my bluetec, which does the same at 3600 RPM! The interior materials were a bit low, but I was in a baseline. My major complaint(s): Perhaps the steering wheel telescopes, but I couldn't figure it out.. ; Why move the staple of MB design which every single mfr has copied in the last 30 years out of sight?! Of course, i'm referring to the seat buttons. I'm not a small or huge guy, but fitting my arm between the door and seat to adjust the seats really really sucked...

The tiptronic did well in manual mode. I was "playing" with an m3 (I would have lost in a real competition), but I felt compelled to give him a run for his money in every situation possible on the beltway, just to try it....
Old 05-22-2010, 02:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 76 Likes on 50 Posts
BMW, Tesla, Mercedes, Porsche
On the bottom of the steering wheel, there's a latch that you pull out to adjust the wheel with. Also, on the higher optioned models with memory seats, the seat controls are moved from the seat to the door.
Old 05-22-2010, 03:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2009 C350
It felt like a motorcycle..? Well then, dang, that may be the best compliment in terms of handing that the C ever got. Lol. Nice to see you enjoyed it. In terms of interior quality. It's not bad. MB tex is a love it/hate it thing I guess, but I admit, I like the soft/smooth leather of the IS350 and G37.

Last edited by snarlingchicken; 05-22-2010 at 03:57 AM.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 200 Likes on 138 Posts
W212 M276 DELA 30 ; W211 OM642 ; R107 M117, Sierra 1500 LZ0
Originally Posted by snarlingchicken
It felt like a motorcycle..? Well then, dang, that may be the best compliment in terms of handing that the C ever got. Lol. Nice to see you enjoyed it. In terms of interior quality. It's not bad. MB tex is a love it/hate it thing I guess, but I admit, I like the soft/smooth leather of the IS350 and G37.
Not quite sure how you gleaned that I thought it was like a motorcycle, I've never driven one! MB Tex is a winner though. I have an 84 300SD with it, and it still looks great. My current E class also has it, which I view as a plus for long term durability. Soft leather looks and feels nice, but it bunches up and cracks. They don't make leather seats like they did in the 80s and early 90s, they soften it too much which makes it bunch up and wear too easily.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2009 C350
Haha. Sorry. It's just some wordplay I guess. In the BMW world, Beamer and Beemer are nicknames for BMW motorcycles while Bimmer is a nickname for BMW cars. :3. And it's probably true about the MBTex thing. Most leathers these days stretch and crack from overuse. MBTex amazingly pops right back into place.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:28 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz E350 4Matic Sport
Since you guys are talking about the benefits of MBTex, I recall a number of people have said on here that they don't think like MBTex because it isn't luxurious and luxury cars should always have leather.

For the record my car has MBTex and I don't really think there's much of a difference to my dad's leather, and since i'm looking at new cars i'm debating on whether to get it again or not. Also, the leather in my dad's '08 ML doesn't seem "too soft" as you guys have mentioned. It has some slight wear at 46,000 miles but nothing really noticeable (though he has since gotten rid of it).
I was wondering two things:

1. What do you guys think? Do you think having MBTex detracts from the idea of a luxury car?

2. Would you guys buy MBTex if you were to purchase another Mercedes in the near future?
Old 05-22-2010, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 c300 sport 4 matic
Originally Posted by MB300AMG
Since you guys are talking about the benefits of MBTex, I recall a number of people have said on here that they don't think like MBTex because it isn't luxurious and luxury cars should always have leather.

For the record my car has MBTex and I don't really think there's much of a difference to my dad's leather, and since i'm looking at new cars i'm debating on whether to get it again or not. Also, the leather in my dad's '08 ML doesn't seem "too soft" as you guys have mentioned. It has some slight wear at 46,000 miles but nothing really noticeable (though he has since gotten rid of it).
I was wondering two things:

1. What do you guys think? Do you think having MBTex detracts from the idea of a luxury car?

2. Would you guys buy MBTex if you were to purchase another Mercedes in the near future?

I had 5 Mercedes with leather, this is the first with Tex. I`d buy it again in a heartbeat, of coarse I don`t care what anyone else thinks about it. I have a sport utility that has fabric interior, that is the most comfortable seats I ever had.

Don`t take this the wrong way but I think the question "if Tex detracts from the idea of luxury" is a silly question. Do you really think whether a Mercedes has leather or Tex defines luxury or not.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:52 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz E350 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by jcash60
I had 5 Mercedes with leather, this is the first with Tex. I`d buy it again in a heartbeat, of coarse I don`t care what anyone else thinks about it. I have a sport utility that has fabric interior, that is the most comfortable seats I ever had.

Don`t take this the wrong way but I think the question "if Tex detracts from the idea of luxury" is a silly question. Do you really think whether a Mercedes has leather or Tex defines luxury or not.
It's not me who thinks that, because I also have MBTex in my C300 and I like it very much and can't really tell the difference. I was just wondering what you guys thought because those in the MBTex vs. Leather debates used that reasoning as an excuse for choosing leather over MBTex.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C204
I can't say that I prefer one over the other, nor can I tell you that my *** could tell the difference between the two, and that in itself says a lot.

From a sales point of view, MBTex sells itself. 10 years down the line the interior is going to look the way it had from day one. I've seen leather in cars 10 years later and god is it awful. Yes, the owners failed to put any consideration into maintaining the leather, but of course 80% of the population wouldn't either.

From your pockets point of view, the leather just isn't worth the extra $1000+. Yes, everyone who has gotten the leather option is going to tell you how much more luxurious their car is and how if your MB doesn't have leather then you might as well have gotten a KIA, but we need to get past that materialistic state of mind and level ourselves. If you have the money then do it, if you're on a budget, I am sure you could find the $1000 worth investing into something else.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
2017 E300
I would have gotten leather if I could afford it. And you might be thinking, why not just shell out the extra 1300 or whatever, since I already am paying 40+. Well, it would have pushed the OTD price past the 50 mark, and that wasnt acceptable to me for a C class.

I dont mind the material covering the seats, but the door panels are hideous with leather.

and it kind of bothers me that the camry that pulls up next to you at the light as double stitched leather for half the cost
Old 05-23-2010, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
My Father's SL has Leather, being that it is an 03' it has some significant wear on them and just doesn't look "nice"

I absolutely love the MBTex in my car, nobody realizes that its not leather. I would get it again in a heartbeat, especially since I am buying this car. If I was leasing I would still probably go with MBTex, but would possibly consider leather.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 c300 sport 4 matic
Another plus for MBTex, leather is very inconsistent one panel in a seat may not be as good as the others and it will wear differently there is a color problem also with leathers as they age. The drivers side seat will get vertical puckers from front to back [ ridges that stick up ]from stretching and they do it early. The finish on leather wares and gets glossy.

Lets say a person doesn`t know anything about leather or MBTex, he goes into a showroom 2 cars sitting side by side one leather and one MBTex. The salesman says this MBTex will look new far,far longer, it`s much more durable, consistent in color and doesn`t scratch nearly as much as leather and for coarse it`s $1000 cheaper. It`s a no brainier.