C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Ran A Red Light In Boston, Massachusetts...I think. Need Some Advice Please!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 01:01 AM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz E350 4Matic Sport
Ran A Red Light In Boston, Massachusetts...I think. Need Some Advice Please!

So I was on my way home from Boston and driving through Hyde Park Avenue near Ukraine Way for those who know it. The light turned yellow and stayed that way for quite a while (much longer than usual) and I wasn't thinking so I hesitated and then floored it to get across. Thing is, as soon as I went over the line the light turned red, so i'm not quite sure whether or not I ran the red or just made it.

Not only that, but the junction had those white long cameras. I looked online and looked back at the junction on google maps (if you type in Ukraine way it shows you the street view but I can't link it), and I can't find out if they are red light cameras or not.

What I want to know is:

1. Are there red light cameras in Massachusetts, and was that a red light camera?

2. If I did run the red, what are the penalties for it and will it affect my insurance?

I tried checking online but there isn't much information I can use. There was a debate about installing Red Light cameras here but I can't find out if the legislation passed or not.

I don't have any points and normally don't run reds but I fumbled this time and now i'm worried. Usually i'm a pretty good driver so i'm quite worried about this affecting my dad's insurance because we're both insurance on the car right now and I only recently got a discount for having no tickets for 3 years.

If anybody can help i'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks guys!

Last edited by MB300AMG; 05-26-2010 at 01:03 AM.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:01 AM
IGB

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
'08 C300 MM Pano

I see two small cameras atop the traffic light pole on Hyde Park and Ukraine Way http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...=12,25.77,,0,5 but those are NOT Red Light Enforcement cameras. Those are traffic control cameras and/or sensors... Red Light Enforcement cameras are much bigger than those.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by IGB

I see two small cameras atop the traffic light pole on Hyde Park and Ukraine Way http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...=12,25.77,,0,5 but those are NOT Red Light Enforcement cameras. Those are traffic control cameras and/or sensors... Red Light Enforcement cameras are much bigger than those.
So none of those are Red Light Enforcement cameras? Are you 100% sure because if you are you just made my day!
Old 05-26-2010, 02:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C300 Sport, MM, P1
I don't know if this helps, but in California, the red light cameras are huge and have big flashes all around so it can take pictures at night too. Unless you saw flashes going off, I think you're safe. Also, they have to post that there are traffic cameras in the area so if you didn't see the signs anywhere, that's good news for you.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:08 AM

Well I didn't see any signs and usually travel that way, and actually didn't notice the cameras there before until I ran em and my dad gave me crap about it.

In any case it seems like those are sensors and if that's the case i'm in the clear. Thanks a lot for the help guys!
Old 05-26-2010, 02:23 AM
IGB

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
'08 C300 MM Pano
Originally Posted by MB300AMG
So none of those are Red Light Enforcement cameras? Are you 100% sure because if you are you just made my day!
According to this: http://www.iihs.org/laws/cameramap.aspx MA does not use Red Light Cameras... Only speed cameras.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 Sport/Palladium Silver on Black/P2
I don't think you have any need to worry. It sounds like it's a close call on if you even ran the light, plus you would know if there were red light cameras.

Just be happy and enjoy your next, hopefully slightly safer drive.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:54 AM

W204, W220, S15 Silvia
if there was no flash at u, u r most probably safe
but do remember the rule
when you see yellow light, stop if you can do so safely
Old 05-26-2010, 07:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C300 Sport Black Darth V3.0
A man gets into a cab in the city one morning and asks to be taken to 21st and 5th. No problem says the cabbie and they are off. First intersection they come to has a red light and instead of slowing the driver speeds up. Hey thats a red light says the man. Don't worry says the driver my brother has been driving for 30 years with no accidents or tickets and he goes through every red light. Sure enough they make it through safely as they do the next 4 red lights. The man is a bit nervous as they almost had an accident at the last red light. Looking through the windshield he sees the light is green. Thank God he thinks, all of a sudden the driver jams on his brakes and comes to a complete stop. What the hell is wrong with you the man asks you go through red lights and now stop at a green one. The driver says calmly I stopped because this is the street my brother takes to work everyday and that crazy Ba$tard won't stop.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:31 AM

W204
The camera flash will be so obvious that you can't miss it.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
If you see a flash in your rear view mirror, you're as good as caught. If not, slow the ****x down! Otherwise the next time you won't be so lucky. :-P
Old 05-26-2010, 04:07 PM

2009 C-300 Sport
Those camera look familiar like ones here in NY and I know some of them take pictures of your car if you pass the red light but the worse that can happen is they send you a ticket for $50 and you just pay for it. They can't hold anyone responsible for it cause they don't know who was driving it. So what they do is they just send the amount to who the car is register to like if you pass the EZ-Pass. So don't worry about it.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:38 PM

2013 GLK 350 4M (Iridium Silver), 2010 E350 Coupe (Iridium Silver)
Originally Posted by Boris0126
Those camera look familiar like ones here in NY and I know some of them take pictures of your car if you pass the red light but the worse that can happen is they send you a ticket for $50 and you just pay for it. They can't hold anyone responsible for it cause they don't know who was driving it. So what they do is they just send the amount to who the car is register to like if you pass the EZ-Pass. So don't worry about it.
Yeah except when you pass an E-Z Pass the camera is right in your face and you can tell who the driver is. Usually, these red light cameras are either behind you or across the street or something. There aren't always signs for red light cams either. MAYBE on the highway for speed cameras they might have signs...

The red light cameras are usually a large rectangular box that is taller than it is wide with a circle exposing the camera in the middle of it.

Also, the flashes are bright but you CAN miss them during the day since they are usually behind you (from what I've seen). The camera takes two pictures one exactly when the light turned red and another right after to actually show you passing the light.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
86 190E 2.3-16v, 92 500E, 03 CL55 AMG, 08 E3504M Brabus
Thats totally wrong I get those ez pass things in the mail all the time and the pictures are taken from the front and rear but from above and you cant see the driver at all. **** I wish it did, I'd pose and wait for the funny pictures to get sent back to me by ez pass in the mail. Regarding the post though, as mentioned by atleast half a dozen others, red light cameras FLASH!
They go off constantly on the westside highway. Its fun to watch sometimes because people will be going so fast that multiple cars will end up running the same light, and you'll see the camera flash a bunch of times trying to keep up with the amount of wrecklessness that road sees on daily basis.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:47 AM

'08 C350, '05 Mazda 3 HB, '07 330i
Originally Posted by Ron Jr
A man gets into a cab in the city one morning and asks to be taken to 21st and 5th. No problem says the cabbie and they are off. First intersection they come to has a red light and instead of slowing the driver speeds up. Hey thats a red light says the man. Don't worry says the driver my brother has been driving for 30 years with no accidents or tickets and he goes through every red light. Sure enough they make it through safely as they do the next 4 red lights. The man is a bit nervous as they almost had an accident at the last red light. Looking through the windshield he sees the light is green. Thank God he thinks, all of a sudden the driver jams on his brakes and comes to a complete stop. What the hell is wrong with you the man asks you go through red lights and now stop at a green one. The driver says calmly I stopped because this is the street my brother takes to work everyday and that crazy Ba$tard won't stop.

I llaughed so hard i even screamed man!

Good one RON Jr!
Old 05-27-2010, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Originally Posted by AMGTestDriverNJ
Thats totally wrong I get those ez pass things in the mail all the time and the pictures are taken from the front and rear but from above and you cant see the driver at all. **** I wish it did, I'd pose and wait for the funny pictures to get sent back to me by ez pass in the mail. Regarding the post though, as mentioned by atleast half a dozen others, red light cameras FLASH!
They go off constantly on the westside highway. Its fun to watch sometimes because people will be going so fast that multiple cars will end up running the same light, and you'll see the camera flash a bunch of times trying to keep up with the amount of wrecklessness that road sees on daily basis.
Even though I've been the recipient of the Poparazzi flashes on the West Side highway, it's still funny seeing all those people setting off those flashes. Word of the wise, if no one else is running the light, there's most likely a reason why. Slow the ****s down.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:19 PM

2013 GLK 350 4M (Iridium Silver), 2010 E350 Coupe (Iridium Silver)
Originally Posted by AMGTestDriverNJ
Thats totally wrong I get those ez pass things in the mail all the time and the pictures are taken from the front and rear but from above and you cant see the driver at all. ****

No, I'm not TOTALLY wrong, but your assumption IS.

Yes, they are not ALWAYS placed directly in front of you, but some are... So if you really want to strike a pose... lol.

Why do you get ez pass violations all the time?

edit:

Here is what you were thinking of

Last edited by dcjwlee; 05-27-2010 at 12:56 PM.