Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > C-Class (W204)
Hole w/screen to left of center dash vents? >

Hole w/screen to left of center dash vents?

Notices
C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Hole w/screen to left of center dash vents?

 
Old 07-10-2010, 03:44 PM
  #1  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 1,367
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 E350 4M Sport
Hole w/screen to left of center dash vents?

Curiosity got the better of me. I searched the forum, Google, Owner's Manual but couldn't find the answer. What's the small round hole (~.75") on the dash just to the left of the center vents? Microphone for cell phone?

Last edited by noka; 07-10-2010 at 03:45 PM. Reason: edit
noka is offline  
Old 07-10-2010, 04:33 PM
  #2  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
aowhaus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,044
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C300 Sport 4matic
yes, that's the microphone for the hands free phone function.
aowhaus is offline  
Old 07-10-2010, 04:59 PM
  #3  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: near Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 126
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C300 4matic Special Edition
I read somewhere that it's the temperature sensor for the cabin, and that the microphones are in the rear view mirror.
Rogwp is offline  
Old 07-10-2010, 05:24 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 300
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 c300
+1^
keith100 is offline  
Old 07-10-2010, 06:17 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Sentosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Peregian Beach, Qld, Australia.
Posts: 318
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C200 Estate Kompressor W204, 2018 GLA 220d
Originally Posted by Rogwp View Post
I read somewhere that it's the temperature sensor for the cabin, and that the microphones are in the rear view mirror.
+1
Sentosa is offline  
Old 07-10-2010, 07:00 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
envyxc350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: So-Cal
Posts: 411
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c350
pretty sure it's the microphone, as when people can't hear me well I get closer and they hear much better.
envyxc350 is offline  
Old 07-10-2010, 07:34 PM
  #7  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 1,367
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 E350 4M Sport
LOL! I found a thread where agreement couldn't be found either. I'm sure there are more. I'll just ask the SA at the next visit.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...icrophone.html
noka is offline  
Old 07-10-2010, 09:44 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 300
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 c300
Originally Posted by noka View Post
Curiosity got the better of me. I searched the forum, Google, Owner's Manual but couldn't find the answer. What's the small round hole (~.75") on the dash just to the left of the center vents? Microphone for cell phone?
P31 in my manual shows microphone at rear of mirror.

It sure ain't in the dash.

My Pontiac has the same little grill in the same place dash and it doesn't have a microphone.

HTH
keith100 is offline  
Old 07-10-2010, 11:44 PM
  #9  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 1,367
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 E350 4M Sport
Originally Posted by keith100 View Post
P31 in my manual shows microphone at rear of mirror...
Thanks. It's p.38 in my manual. Maybe the one I was asking about is some temp sensor. I'll find out eventually.
noka is offline  
Old 07-14-2010, 07:47 PM
  #10  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Derspeed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,423
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
In my Saab a similar screen in a different location was a glass breakage sensor.
Derspeed is offline  
Old 07-14-2010, 07:51 PM
  #11  
MBWorld Fanatic!
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: MA
Posts: 1,367
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 E350 4M Sport
Originally Posted by Derspeed View Post
In my Saab a similar screen in a different location was a glass breakage sensor.
... and yet another idea. I'm beginning to think it performs all the above-mentioned functions.
noka is offline  
Old 07-15-2010, 12:23 AM
  #12  
Member
 
08w204's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Waldfischbach-Bergalben, Germany
Posts: 145
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 MB C300 Sport (Mars Red)
It's actually a microphone that only records only when you say "watch this" or "check this out" so the dealership can listen as you do stupid crap in your car so they can void your warranty... It's connected to the automatic wallet scanner in the driver's seat that runs your credit cards so the dealership knows just how much more you REALLY CAN pay for an oil change.

Everyone should do what I did: Use a large concrete drill bit and drill at least 18" into the dash through the mysterious grate to destroy the microphone. Multiple warning lights must flash on the dash to ensure you really found the heart of this system.

The wallet scanner is disrupted by methane... Ensure you eat plenty of Taco Bell and/or binge drink beer every night to ensure you're safe.

How has CNN not covered this already? Doesn't anyone believe me?!?
08w204 is offline  
Old 07-15-2010, 06:32 AM
  #13  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Carsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: 1 hours drive north of Sydney Australia
Posts: 3,714
Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
Who said folks living in Germany did not have a sense of humour ? !!.
Carsy is offline  
Old 07-15-2010, 12:49 PM
  #14  
Member
 
08w204's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Waldfischbach-Bergalben, Germany
Posts: 145
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 MB C300 Sport (Mars Red)
Originally Posted by Carsy View Post
Who said folks living in Germany did not have a sense of humour ? !!.
Haha, I'm an American... Just living here for a while!
08w204 is offline  
Old 11-05-2012, 12:23 AM
  #15  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 18
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C350
Anyone find this out?
polskifacet is offline  
Old 11-05-2012, 04:47 AM
  #16  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Diesel Benz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Europe
Posts: 5,247
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
Originally Posted by polskifacet View Post
Anyone find this out?
Anyone? How many should find it to make you happy? The question is how should forum members answer this question to make everyone believe instead of posting speculative thoughts.

See the attached document showing HVAC component locations and make up your mind.
Attached Thumbnails Hole w/screen to left of center dash vents?-w204-hvac-interior-temperature-sensor.jpg  
Diesel Benz is offline  
Old 11-05-2012, 08:15 AM
  #17  
Super Member
 
BlackjackM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Boston 'burbs
Posts: 666
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 E300 Lux, 2006 Corvette Z51, 2015 Mercedes ML350 (wife's)
Originally Posted by 08w204 View Post
It's actually a microphone that only records only when you say "watch this" or "check this out" so the dealership can listen as you do stupid crap in your car so they can void your warranty... It's connected to the automatic wallet scanner in the driver's seat that runs your credit cards so the dealership knows just how much more you REALLY CAN pay for an oil change.

Everyone should do what I did: Use a large concrete drill bit and drill at least 18" into the dash through the mysterious grate to destroy the microphone. Multiple warning lights must flash on the dash to ensure you really found the heart of this system.

The wallet scanner is disrupted by methane... Ensure you eat plenty of Taco Bell and/or binge drink beer every night to ensure you're safe.

How has CNN not covered this already? Doesn't anyone believe me?!?
Awesome post
BlackjackM is offline  
Old 11-05-2012, 08:17 AM
  #18  
Super Member
 
BlackjackM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Boston 'burbs
Posts: 666
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 E300 Lux, 2006 Corvette Z51, 2015 Mercedes ML350 (wife's)
Originally Posted by Diesel Benz View Post
Anyone? How many should find it to make you happy? The question is how should forum members answer this question to make everyone believe instead of posting speculative thoughts.

See the attached document showing HVAC component locations and make up your mind.
Diesel Benz knows his stuff

The best part of this post is thinking of all the people who talk into their temp sensor so people on the phone can hear them better
BlackjackM is offline  
Old 11-05-2012, 03:55 PM
  #19  
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
RLE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: SEATTLE WASHINGTON USA
Posts: 3,986
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Originally Posted by noka View Post
Curiosity got the better of me. I searched the forum, Google, Owner's Manual but couldn't find the answer. What's the small round hole (~.75") on the dash just to the left of the center vents? Microphone for cell phone?
Cabin air temp sensor.

All MBs with climate control have had this going back as far as you want to. There is usually a small fan that draws in air past the sensor which is at the inner end of a soft duct.

Last edited by RLE; 11-05-2012 at 07:07 PM.
RLE is offline  
Old 11-05-2012, 07:08 PM
  #20  
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
RLE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: SEATTLE WASHINGTON USA
Posts: 3,986
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Originally Posted by BlackjackM View Post
Diesel Benz knows his stuff

The best part of this post is thinking of all the people who talk into their temp sensor so people on the phone can hear them better
When in fact they are just getting closer to the mike which is near the mirror.
RLE is offline  
Old 11-05-2012, 07:41 PM
  #21  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 87
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 C300 sedan, P1, Multimedia, Burmester
If it was an air temperature sensor, wouldn't there be one on the passenger side as well? Dual-zone climate control...
awstansbury is offline  
Old 11-06-2012, 07:14 PM
  #22  
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
RLE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: SEATTLE WASHINGTON USA
Posts: 3,986
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Originally Posted by awstansbury View Post
If it was an air temperature sensor, wouldn't there be one on the passenger side as well? Dual-zone climate control...
What do you mean "if it was"? It has been proven that it's the temp sensor.

Dual Zone means you can turn the temp up or down separately each side.
RLE is offline  
Old 11-06-2012, 11:47 PM
  #23  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 87
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 C300 sedan, P1, Multimedia, Burmester
Originally Posted by RLE View Post
What do you mean "if it was"? It has been proven that it's the temp sensor.

Dual Zone means you can turn the temp up or down separately each side.
Sorry, I didn't know it was proven.

I'm under the impression that the dual-climate zones are thermostatically-controlled -- each side of the cabin reports temperature and the HVAC system responds accordingly, adjusting air temperature up or down to meet the setting. If the temperature of the cabin as a whole is known, and not each side, then each side "fights" to lower or raise the temperature relative to the set temperature. Seems inefficient, but I guess that's the way they do it.
awstansbury is offline  
Old 11-08-2012, 01:48 AM
  #24  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
jctevere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dix Hills, New York
Posts: 2,108
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by awstansbury View Post
Sorry, I didn't know it was proven.

I'm under the impression that the dual-climate zones are thermostatically-controlled -- each side of the cabin reports temperature and the HVAC system responds accordingly, adjusting air temperature up or down to meet the setting. If the temperature of the cabin as a whole is known, and not each side, then each side "fights" to lower or raise the temperature relative to the set temperature. Seems inefficient, but I guess that's the way they do it.
Well I would assume that the temperature sensor is only used for the AUTO function of the A/C to maintain a cabin temperature. When the two thermostats do not match, I would guess that it tries to match the average (net cabin temperature) of the two thermostats?
jctevere is offline  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hole w/screen to left of center dash vents?


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: