C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI
Old 06-09-2015, 12:58 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

W204 Third Party Component Speaker Upgrade

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Mercedes-Benz C300 Sport, Auto, P02, 320, 067, 104, 218, 413, 786, 889
I would certainly bypass the factory x-overs. Design your own if youre so inclined but I would use the x-overs on your amp or headunit.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:31 AM

2008 Mercedes Benz C300 4matic Sport
Originally Posted by nola000
I would certainly bypass the factory x-overs. Design your own if youre so inclined but I would use the x-overs on your amp or headunit.
There's information about the x-overs earlier in this thread and other threads dealing with speaker replacements. I believe the x-overs are in the front OEM speakers themselves (polarized caps). A full signal comes from the HU. The Infinity replacement speakers come with their own x-overs.
Old 01-23-2015, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jcreal
Yes you can power it from the SAM... assuming you're not using a crazy power hunger amp(s) - However, it's still best to run power from the battery.. I ran it from the battery and used the wiring hole in the fuse box on the right to run the wire into the cabin (no drilling necessary).
Originally Posted by Bobby Benzo
The install is complete. I put a 12 inch Rockford Fosgate P3 12" powered by an alpine 550w RMS amp ran power from the battery to the trunk. It definitely compliments the infiniti component upgrade.
Your battery is in the front? Also, where did you tap the audio signal for the high/low converter?
Old 02-02-2015, 09:47 AM

Just did an upgrade for my W204.

Front: German Maestro CS 6508
Rear: German Maestro CC 6508

Retro fit with minimum modifications.
End result, awesome sound and value for money.
Old 02-07-2015, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Did the fronts today and that was no fun. Rears to be done tomorrow.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

These Inifnity Kappas sound great and I may not even bother with my sub. One of the rear speakers that came was blown. Waiting for the replacement. Still having a hard time changing the EQ settings and making them "Set."
Old 02-10-2015, 08:29 PM

Did you already dremmel out the sails for the tweeters? I'm having second thoughts about the infinity tweeters jammed into the foam. They still sound harsh to me. I Have a pair of Alpine sps119 tw and want to try them out. I wish I had the sails with the tweeter holder intact. The tweeters would fit right in. Anyway, I want to see if they improve the sound.

You've got to press SET for every column-- frequency, Q and gain.

Last edited by codeblue5007; 02-10-2015 at 08:31 PM.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sails have been dremmeled as that is the only way the tweeters will fit. I did press "set" by pressing down the rotary knob but it doesn't seem to do anything. Also, when changing the values, I didn't notice a change in sound. In my Engineering Mode, it shows that I will have to change all 4 speaker values individually. Will try again this weekend.

Last edited by Sincity; 02-11-2015 at 07:36 AM.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Sincity
Sails have been dremmeled as that is the only way the tweeters will fit. I did press "set" by pressing down the rotary knob but it doesn't seem to do anything. Also, when changing the values, I didn't notice a change in sound. In my Engineering Mode, it shows that I will have to change all 4 speaker values individually. Will try again this weekend.
Yes you have to set the values for all 4 speakers individually. As I recall, this requires backing out of several screens to get to the 4 speaker screen for each speaker. Frankly, I didn't notice a great difference between recommended settings by ICON and others. As I understand it, the equalizer is intended to eliminate certain imperfections due to cabin acoustics at certain frequencies, not change the sound of the speakers. But please share your experience.

Meanwhile I'm going to try out Alpine tweeters and post results. I took one of the sails and foam backing out to examine them closely in my workshop and notice right off that the sail has a relatively small circular "transparent" area through which the tweeter sound comes through. This means that much of the Infinity tweeter sound is blocked by the plastic sail. One possible solution is to mount the Alpine tweeters so that the swivel head is on the cabin side of the sails, but this may look too low rent for a Mercedes. The next owner may be put off by such an obvious mod.
Old 02-12-2015, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by codeblue5007
Frankly, I didn't notice a great difference between recommended settings by ICON and others.
Same experience.

I did notice the bass response has improved greatly with these new speakers.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:18 AM

Following up on my search for better sound, I installed these Alpine tweeters behind the sails. They come with their own in-line crossovers. I tried with and without, and they definitely need their own crossovers to avoid distortion at higher volumes. They fit very well in the foam backing with a thin 1/4 inch foam insulation wrapped around the housing.
Amazon.com : Alpine SPS-110TW Type-S 1" silk dome tweeter set : Vehicle Tweeters : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Alpine SPS-110TW Type-S 1" silk dome tweeter set : Vehicle Tweeters : Car Electronics

I used these 3M butt connectors and recommend them for all speaker wire connections. They are easy to use, needing only a pair of pliers to lock them shut, and they squeeze out a small amount of gel to keep the connections from corroding. They accept even heavy gauge stranded wire.
UY-3M - 3M Scotchlok IDC Butt Connector, 100 Pack: Butt Terminals: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific UY-3M - 3M Scotchlok IDC Butt Connector, 100 Pack: Butt Terminals: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

The sound of the tweeters is more detailed and provide an airy dimension. Voices, Cymbals, finger snapping, rim shots are better defined. The Infinity tweeters have more power, but in a lower range. Overall, I don't think this modification is necessary. Far more important is the source of the sound. FM and sat are pretty awful compared to CDs.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Acapulco Bill
The Infinity's 2 ohm impedance is one factor, the other being their high efficiency (93 dB for 1 watt input). The two factors combined have the following consequences: The 2 ohm impedance lets the Audio 20 unit produce 40 watts RMS per channel (160 watts total), and each speaker with 40 watts with 93 dB/1 watt can produce 110 db. Combined the 4 speakers can produce 116 dB. However, on average, music volume is 10db less that its peaks, so that's 106 db listening level. Not rock concert loud but adequate for a noisy car environment.
I have been having issues with my rear 62.9i in the RR channel. When I start the radio, I do not hear the distortion until a minute or so later. I have switched the speakers around and it is the same channel that is having issues. I wonder if my RR transistors are weak and they must be overheating when driving the 2 ohm load? I have no issues with the front 60.9cs. I'm going to disconnet the LR channel and run a 4 ohm speaker on the RR channel this weekend to see if the distortion will come back.The damage to the Audio 20 amp may be irreversible now.

This is just an assumption that the radio may have issues with a 2 ohm load for the rear channel and "may" be damaged when running a 2 ohm load. If I don't have issues running the 4 ohm speakers for the rear, I just may switch the rears to 6032si since they are 4 ohms.

Last edited by Sincity; 03-02-2015 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Sincity
I have been having issues with my rear 62.9i in the RR channel. When I start the radio, I do not hear the distortion until a minute or so later. I have switched the speakers around and it is the same channel that is having issues. I wonder if my RR transistors are weak and they must be overheating when driving the 2 ohm load? I have no issues with the front 60.9cs. I'm going to disconnet the LR channel and run a 4 ohm speaker on the RR channel this weekend to see if the distortion will come back.The damage to the Audio 20 amp may be irreversible now.

This is just an assumption that the radio may have issues with a 2 ohm load for the rear channel and "may" be damaged when running a 2 ohm load. If I don't have issues running the 4 ohm speakers for the rear, I just may switch the rears to 6032si since they are 4 ohms.

If it's the RR channel that sucks. There are used HUs on eBay. I saw one without a face for $150. Or you could take the opportunity to replace it with a more powerful non-OEM unit. Keep us posted.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2010 C300 Sport
RR channel distortion

Sincity: Before anything else, there is another test you may wish to perform - replace the RR Kappa 62.9 2-ohm speaker with the original OEM stock unit. If the amplifier ceases to distort, then the distortion is caused by a mismatched part in the headunit triggering the circuit that limits the current to the output stage of the amplifier (causing an early onset of "soft" clipping, a pre-existing condition in the headunit).

If this is the case, one solution would be to replace both rear 62.9's with 4- or 8-ohm units (or just reinstall the original OEM speakers). These would have to be highly efficient, and the output balance could be restored with the front-to-rear fader, although the sonic qualities of these new units may be different.

However, if the distortion persists even with the stock speaker swap, then another output solution must be found, as the output stage components or transistors may actually be damaged. This would also have been caused by a pre-existing defect, as the current-limiting circuitry DIDN'T work; modern solid-state amplifiers since the late 1960's have been protected against even full.-shorting conditions (where for instance both speaker leads are directly connected), typically with a "crowbar" which clamps the base of the transistor and prevents excessive current flow. references are here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crowbar_(circuit)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Current_limiting

Please send a personal message through MBWorld as I am at your service to assist in resolving this condition, also for anyone else who is experiencing this problem, feel free to communicate. In the next week I will be having a custom bluetooth screen (to visualize Nav from my smartphone) with backup cameras installed to the stock audio headunit, the aftermarket company doing this upgrade may have additional insights into solutions to this condition. They can also recommend some high efficiency 4- or 8-ohm speakers if the suggest test demonstrates that the headunit amplifier is intact, these recommendations I will post ASAP,

Last edited by Acapulco Bill; 03-03-2015 at 10:59 AM.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tks Bill. The stock speakers were destroyed to do the retrofit. Ironically, I do have a pair of old speakers from my 190e that I can try this weekend.
Old 03-07-2015, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Decided to not even bother experimenting with a 4 ohm speaker. Now my RF channel is also affected. Looks like I have a "bum" radio that can't handle this load.
Old 05-03-2015, 01:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 118 Likes on 109 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic Sport Sedan
so i just got a JL audio sub and amp with the control knob installed i feel like i need to mess with the "secret audio menu" i turned up the max audio volume which made a difference but any tips on making the base sound a little better on the non HK system what settings to change etc. any help would be appreciated
Old 05-03-2015, 12:33 PM

C300 Sport 6MT
Per my response to your other thread, you need to describe what "making the bass sound better" (not base, btw ) means. What does it sound like now? Not enough thump or boom for your liking? Too muddy? If you have to crank the volume up in order to get satisfactory bass, perhaps your installer reversed the polarity of the speaker inputs so things are out of phase. Either way, more info would help diagnose your issues better.
If you've read this entire thread, you'll see that a properly setup sub like Acapulco Bill's Boss system will yield fantastic results. No dual 12" setup in a coffin box necessary!!

Last edited by Doanster; 05-03-2015 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-03-2015, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Doanster
Per my response to your other thread, you need to describe what "making the bass sound better" (not base, btw ) means. What does it sound like now? Not enough thump or boom for your liking? Too muddy? If you have to crank the volume up in order to get satisfactory bass, perhaps your installer reversed the polarity of the speaker inputs so things are out of phase. Either way, more info would help diagnose your issues better.
haha my bad umm its not deep and clear if that make sense its cheep sounding i don't know how to describe it exactly maybe i can post a video of it once i figure out how to do that
Old 05-03-2015, 01:32 PM

C300 Sport 6MT
Sounds like an install issue to me. First thing to check is polarity. I'd just bring the car back to the installer and have them recheck.
Old 05-03-2015, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I post pictures of my set up need to make a video still but maybe the pics can help in some way who knows there on my profile under album
Old 05-03-2015, 03:29 PM

C300 Sport 6MT
No way to tell from those pics. You (or the installer) will have to physically check to see which color stock wires were tapped to feed the amp. When I did the Kappa upgrade, I reversed the polarity (green vs green/brown IIRC) and EVRYTHING sounded horrible. The minute I fixed it... bam, 1000% better and sounds as advertised.
Old 05-03-2015, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Doanster
No way to tell from those pics. You (or the installer) will have to physically check to see which color stock wires were tapped to feed the amp. When I did the Kappa upgrade, I reversed the polarity (green vs green/brown IIRC) and EVRYTHING sounded horrible. The minute I fixed it... bam, 1000% better and sounds as advertised.
can you make a video of how your system sounds i might just upgrade
Old 05-04-2015, 03:25 AM

C300 Sport 6MT
Originally Posted by newmbmarko
can you make a video of how your system sounds i might just upgrade
No. There's no way you can tell how good or bad a system sounds from a video clip. Plus, you're grasping at straws here (messing with the engineering menu, upgrading to Kappa's, etc.) instead of solving your real problem with the JL setup. You paid quite a but for that sub/amp combo so why not get the problem solved before doing other things? Just my $0.015-worth...
Old 07-16-2015, 04:42 AM

w204 C200 2008
I red this great topic form bottom up and I learnt a lot from it.

Any update about the speakers ?
In UK it is currently impossible to get Infinity Kappa 60.9cs and 62.9i any suggestions about the speakers setup to replace them old models (w204 wise ofc) ?

As I understand Kappa 60.9cs and 62.9i were an 'easy fit' upgrade and I am looking forward to something like this without a need to play a lot with MDF rings.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: W204 Third Party Component Speaker Upgrade