Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > C-Class (W204)
W204 Third Party Component Speaker Upgrade >

W204 Third Party Component Speaker Upgrade

Notices
C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI
Old 06-09-2015, 12:58 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

W204 Third Party Component Speaker Upgrade

 
Old 03-09-2011, 04:06 PM
  #101  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Acapulco Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Acapulco Mexico
Posts: 1,117
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
2010 C300 Sport
@ICON 1: The problem with sibilants, (spitting S's) is this from a CD, an mp3 encoded CD, or an iPod with mp3's?
Acapulco Bill is offline  
Old 03-09-2011, 05:10 PM
  #102  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
jctevere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dix Hills, New York
Posts: 2,108
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Your Dealer is just being lazy. Mine denied that I could update it as well, but you can. Just tell them that you want them to update the firmware on your comand/audio 20 system to the most up to date software. Print out this picture I have attached to show them as proof.

My audio 20 screen clearly says boost and if your wondering why I took such a strange picture, I tried to get the dumbo ears in to prove that mine is a 2009.

I just think the dealers are reluctant to do it because it takes a LONG time. I waited it out and it took nearly 3 hours...
Attached Thumbnails W204 Third Party Component Speaker Upgrade-boost.jpg  
jctevere is offline  
Old 03-09-2011, 11:17 PM
  #103  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 20
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C350 2010
Originally Posted by Acapulco Bill View Post
If you have the MM package but not the Harman Kardon system, it is moot to try and equalize the stock speakers, they will only distort worse. I frankly have no idea if the MM + Nav has the parametric equalizer section in the audio head, only know about the base Audio 20 unit (can somebody clarify this please?). In any case replacing the stock speakers with high-quality high-efficiency units will give a tremendous gain in accuracy and volume, and have not seen the need to change their (flat) equalization. (see my posts above).

I upgrade the speakers to the infinity kappa last weekend. Now I want to fine tune them some more but I dont have any EQ settings I can tweak.
Runamuck is offline  
Old 03-10-2011, 11:09 AM
  #104  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 97
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2013 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by jctevere View Post
Your Dealer is just being lazy. Mine denied that I could update it as well, but you can. Just tell them that you want them to update the firmware on your comand/audio 20 system to the most up to date software. Print out this picture I have attached to show them as proof.

My audio 20 screen clearly says boost and if your wondering why I took such a strange picture, I tried to get the dumbo ears in to prove that mine is a 2009.

I just think the dealers are reluctant to do it because it takes a LONG time. I waited it out and it took nearly 3 hours...
Thanks for the info. I kind of got the feeling that was the case when I inquired. I'll try again and if they don't do it I'll check with another dealer. Which dealer accommodated your request for the software upgrade?
ICON 1 is offline  
Old 03-10-2011, 11:15 AM
  #105  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 97
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2013 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by Acapulco Bill View Post
@ICON 1: The problem with sibilants, (spitting S's) is this from a CD, an mp3 encoded CD, or an iPod with mp3's?
It is from my connected iPhone 4 with MP3s and streaming radio stations. IMO it is probably from setting the high end frequency too high and causing an emphasis on the "S". I turned down my treble setting and it has helped. I believe if I bring down the high frequency setting in the PE form 15,000 to 14 or 13,000 it will further correct it. Haven't had time to do it yet.
ICON 1 is offline  
Old 03-10-2011, 11:19 AM
  #106  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 97
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2013 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by Acapulco Bill View Post
@ICON 1: Actually I am a symphony orchestra conductor by profession (Philadelphia), but also had a recording studio, did professional live sound (Carnegie Hall, Town Hall, rock concerts etc) and was a sound engineering consultant on some recordings sponsored by the UN. That was a lifetime ago. But yes I do know a bit about sound, speakers and their electronics.
Now living in Acapulco, I still conduct a great symphony orchestra, and also in Europe occasionally. I was promised the HK system in my C300, however NO W204 except the C63 comes with that system in Mexico. I refused to drive my C300 Sport for 7 months until I fixed many problems with the Audio20, the speakers and the stupid Chinese iPod amplifier.
Now that all is as well as it can be, and with the addition of a self-amplified subwoofer, the sound is fabulously good.
AB, very very impressive resume. Glad to have you part of this forum. My wife is a trained violinist and has played for the South Carolina philarmonic. I have been using her ears to tune the sound in my c300. If you are ever in NYC let me know.
ICON 1 is offline  
Old 03-10-2011, 03:51 PM
  #107  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Richardson TX
Posts: 103
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
c300
I just got the i'm the most up to date on my car as well... i'm a 09' as well.. so i guess it is the 10' models that have this boost?? damn wish i wouldve saw this post before i went up there.. gotta go up there again..
Imageboi is offline  
Old 03-10-2011, 05:30 PM
  #108  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
jctevere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dix Hills, New York
Posts: 2,108
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by Imageboi View Post
I just got the i'm the most up to date on my car as well... i'm a 09' as well.. so i guess it is the 10' models that have this boost?? damn wish i wouldve saw this post before i went up there.. gotta go up there again..
If you have a 2009, the boost option will be listed in the center of the audio 20 screen when you go to the AUX input. To do this press DISC, then on the bottom left of that screen use the Comand knob to go down to the bottom left button on the screen, click the knob down and select AUX. It is possible to get the BOOST on a pre 2010. See my picture above, I have a 2009 (as you can tell by the side mirrors). And I have the boost option selected on the screen.

@ ICON, I got it done at MB Huntington (in suffolk county on Long Island). I am sure that Rallye Motors near Great Neck will be able to update it as well (they are a lot closer to NYC). Try to call ahead and ask to speak with a service advisor or technician and confirm that they "know how to do it" or that they are sure its possible. The reason why I say this even though I KNOW it is possible is because you don't want to bring your car all the way out here for them to tell you its impossible or that they can't/don't know how to do it.

Good luck!

Also, @ Acapulco Bill What do you mean the problem with the chinese iPod Amplifier. Is there a way to remove it and get a better one? I would like to be able to get rid of the interference I have on my AUX port (the static when no music is playing).
jctevere is offline  
Old 03-10-2011, 06:11 PM
  #109  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 158
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2012 C350 coupe
Ahh. Thanks for the info guys, I guess I'll have to ask the dealership to update it the next time I'm down there. Also will they charge for updating? Just making sure in case they try pull a fast one lol.
@ Acapulco Bill & jctevere: Thanks for the pictures.
sagar350z is offline  
Old 03-10-2011, 07:26 PM
  #110  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 97
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2013 C300 Sport
@ ICON, I got it done at MB Huntington (in suffolk county on Long Island). I am sure that Rallye Motors near Great Neck will be able to update it as well (they are a lot closer to NYC). Try to call ahead and ask to speak with a service advisor or technician and confirm that they "know how to do it" or that they are sure its possible. The reason why I say this even though I KNOW it is possible is because you don't want to bring your car all the way out here for them to tell you its impossible or that they can't/don't know how to do it.

Thanks I will do that. I know where they are as I grew up in Queens. Now that you have confirmed it can be done persistance is my middle name.
ICON 1 is offline  
Old 03-11-2011, 09:57 AM
  #111  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
jctevere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Dix Hills, New York
Posts: 2,108
Likes: 0
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Mine didn't charge to update. They shouldn't charge for it (especially if you are still within warranty). If you call ahead and ask they will tell you everything.

If they give you a problem just say that there is a problem with it and you need it to be updated. "The volume for the AUX port is too low, mercedes issued an update to fix this issue".
jctevere is offline  
Old 03-11-2011, 10:03 AM
  #112  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 97
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2013 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by jctevere View Post
Mine didn't charge to update. They shouldn't charge for it (especially if you are still within warranty). If you call ahead and ask they will tell you everything.

If they give you a problem just say that there is a problem with it and you need it to be updated. "The volume for the AUX port is too low, mercedes issued an update to fix this issue".
I'll give it a try and let you know if they "bite". Thanks.
ICON 1 is offline  
Old 03-12-2011, 09:18 AM
  #113  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Acapulco Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Acapulco Mexico
Posts: 1,117
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
2010 C300 Sport
@jctevere: MB is always looking to save some $ by subcontracting overseas in this global economy. The C Sport hood badge is one example (I will start another thread), but in the case of the iPod amplifier, there is just no excuse for the horrible engineering and shoddy electronic construction of this critical component.
MB socks you more than $800 for the cable, interface and (supposedly included) iPod amplifier. Supposedly included, because MB SCREWED UP TERRIBLY in the gain specifications of the iPod interface, so to solve this issue, you the consumer and "loyal" Benz fan, get stuck paying another $100 for the iPod amplifier, a stupid German engineer couldnt figure out that another 12dB of gain was needed (that´s 8 TIMES THE VOLTAGE!!!).
So MB began production of the iPod amplifier patch/band-aid in Germany, then decided to save $0.80 and outsource them to China (this on a $100 retail MB part).
The result is your Chinese iPod amplifier with NO GAIN AT ALL!!! Worse yet, the unit produces 30% THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) which makes Sarah Brightman sound like Janis Joplin. (Worse actually, can you imagine?) Its just HORRIBLE. Didnt drive my W204 for 7 MONTHS because I was heartbroken that first the MB salesperson PROMISED me in writing that the C300 Sport came with the Harman Kardon system, made me pay for the installation of the iPod interface/amplifier, and then this gawd awful noise...
Besides the paint-flaking hood badge (ALSO Chinese), the defective leather seats, the exhaust system of two different lengths, doors that didnt close correctly, etc, etc etc.
Anyway, check out YOUR iPod amp, or make the MB dealer who installed the thing prove to you that you got your money´s worth, and not both economically and sonically RIPPED OFF by cheap, inferior China-outsourced parts that have no quality control at all, period.
Attached Thumbnails W204 Third Party Component Speaker Upgrade-chinaipodamp.jpg   W204 Third Party Component Speaker Upgrade-germanyipodamp.jpg  
Acapulco Bill is offline  
Old 03-12-2011, 09:49 PM
  #114  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Richardson TX
Posts: 103
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
c300
wonder if theres a way we can jack up the internal components to make it better... like changing certain resistors or caps to enhance the quality of the small component.. i know theres tons of people that modify power amplifers to make them cheater amps wonder if theres a way to do it on these units to boost the preamp on the piece... also is using the aux headphone jack louder then using the ipod intergration unit??

also so wait your saying theres 2 different ipod amplifers for our cars?? if there is... is there a difference in sound quality between the 2?

Originally Posted by Acapulco Bill View Post
@jctevere: MB is always looking to save some $ by subcontracting overseas in this global economy. The C Sport hood badge is one example (I will start another thread), but in the case of the iPod amplifier, there is just no excuse for the horrible engineering and shoddy electronic construction of this critical component.
MB socks you more than $800 for the cable, interface and (supposedly included) iPod amplifier. Supposedly included, because MB SCREWED UP TERRIBLY in the gain specifications of the iPod interface, so to solve this issue, you the consumer and "loyal" Benz fan, get stuck paying another $100 for the iPod amplifier, a stupid German engineer couldnt figure out that another 12dB of gain was needed (that´s 8 TIMES THE VOLTAGE!!!).
So MB began production of the iPod amplifier patch/band-aid in Germany, then decided to save $0.80 and outsource them to China (this on a $100 retail MB part).
The result is your Chinese iPod amplifier with NO GAIN AT ALL!!! Worse yet, the unit produces 30% THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) which makes Sarah Brightman sound like Janis Joplin. (Worse actually, can you imagine?) Its just HORRIBLE. Didnt drive my W204 for 7 MONTHS because I was heartbroken that first the MB salesperson PROMISED me in writing that the C300 Sport came with the Harman Kardon system, made me pay for the installation of the iPod interface/amplifier, and then this gawd awful noise...
Besides the paint-flaking hood badge (ALSO Chinese), the defective leather seats, the exhaust system of two different lengths, doors that didnt close correctly, etc, etc etc.
Anyway, check out YOUR iPod amp, or make the MB dealer who installed the thing prove to you that you got your money´s worth, and not both economically and sonically RIPPED OFF by cheap, inferior China-outsourced parts that have no quality control at all, period.

Last edited by Imageboi; 03-12-2011 at 09:54 PM.
Imageboi is offline  
Old 03-12-2011, 10:04 PM
  #115  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Acapulco Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Acapulco Mexico
Posts: 1,117
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
2010 C300 Sport
@Imageboi: The two iPod amplifiers, one from China and one from Germany, have the same MB part number but very different quality and distortion issues (only in the China-sourced, the German manufactured iPd amplifier s fine). Check out the thread:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ff-beware.html
Acapulco Bill is offline  
Old 03-19-2011, 02:19 PM
  #116  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2008 C300 Sport
Hi everyone, this is my first time owning a MB and posting on this forum. I just purchased a 2008 C300 and am trying to figure out if I have the amplifier built into my car. I called the local MB dealer and gave them my VIN and they said that I have the Audio 20 stereo but didn't say if I had the amplifier. I looked in the vehicle and didn't physically see an amp. I have the componant set in the front doors and I have the speakers in the rear doors and that is it, as far as I know.

Also, can the 2008 models receive the firmware update?

I too am going to do the speaker upgrade. I just wanted to thank everyone, all of this information is extremely helpful.
BMMV is offline  
Old 03-19-2011, 02:39 PM
  #117  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2008 C300 Sport
Acapulco Bill, How did you install the Boss sub?
BMMV is offline  
Old 03-19-2011, 06:01 PM
  #118  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: dallas TX
Posts: 42
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the amplifier me and bill are discussing is the ipod inline amplifier cause if you have the ipod adapter you'll soon realize it sucks... but as far as the speaker amplifiers is there a certain reason your looking for the car amp?? but everyone has just been doing the infinity upgrade and alot of people say its a huge increase in sound right off the bat without amplification... but every system has a amp just i think with the audio 20 it's in the headunit itself..


Originally Posted by BMMV View Post
Hi everyone, this is my first time owning a MB and posting on this forum. I just purchased a 2008 C300 and am trying to figure out if I have the amplifier built into my car. I called the local MB dealer and gave them my VIN and they said that I have the Audio 20 stereo but didn't say if I had the amplifier. I looked in the vehicle and didn't physically see an amp. I have the componant set in the front doors and I have the speakers in the rear doors and that is it, as far as I know.

Also, can the 2008 models receive the firmware update?

I too am going to do the speaker upgrade. I just wanted to thank everyone, all of this information is extremely helpful.
ImageX is offline  
Old 03-20-2011, 06:51 AM
  #119  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2008 C300 Sport
ImageX, I understand now, it's in the head unit. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't an external amp. I understand (especially with the detailed instructions) how everyone is doing this upgrade. My speakers are on order as of today. Thank You.
BMMV is offline  
Old 03-20-2011, 11:43 AM
  #120  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Acapulco Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Acapulco Mexico
Posts: 1,117
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
2010 C300 Sport
@BMMV: I will take some photos and post them on Tuesday (holiday here in Mexico, all offices closed).
Acapulco Bill is offline  
Old 03-20-2011, 01:55 PM
  #121  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2008 C300 Sport
Sounds good. Thank You.
BMMV is offline  
Old 03-22-2011, 10:17 AM
  #122  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Acapulco Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Acapulco Mexico
Posts: 1,117
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
2010 C300 Sport
Here are some pictures

of the installation of the Boss Bass600 8 1/2" self-amplified subwoofer.
Nice, clean install. Unit turns on with radio, has level control wired in under the steering column.
Best $120 investment for your non-HK Merc, after upgrading to the Infinity Kappa 60.9 and 6032si speakers.
Attached Thumbnails W204 Third Party Component Speaker Upgrade-bass1.jpg   W204 Third Party Component Speaker Upgrade-bass2.jpg   W204 Third Party Component Speaker Upgrade-bass3.jpg   W204 Third Party Component Speaker Upgrade-bass4.jpg   W204 Third Party Component Speaker Upgrade-bass5.jpg  

Acapulco Bill is offline  
Old 03-22-2011, 10:42 AM
  #123  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Richardson TX
Posts: 103
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
c300
wow that thing is definitely smaller then i thought it was.. mite have to chunk the jbl gti 1000's away and swap to this... think the jbl gti 1000's would be too much speaker for the car.. it was fine with the audi cause i was able to run amplified image dynamics components all the way around.. wonder if theres a good way to run a amplifier to the mids without hacking up all the wires... thats really what i want.. i would think even after the infinity speaker upgrade it wouldn't be too much sound for me.. i like to go deaf lol =D but when you upgraded to the infinity speakers bill how great of a increase was the volume?? i know sound clarity would increase dramatically.. but wondering about volume..
Imageboi is offline  
Old 03-22-2011, 10:50 AM
  #124  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
Acapulco Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Acapulco Mexico
Posts: 1,117
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
2010 C300 Sport
@Imageboi: The Infinity speaker upgrade is so inexpensive and simple that one cannot imagine not doing it. You get close to 9 dB more volume (combination of 6 dB more efficient and double the amplifier wattage due to the 2 ohm impedance). This compact sub rounds out the low bass.
Volume now can be turned up to 106 dB average with 116 dB peaks.
No other amp needed. Got my local MB dealer to do the install.

Last edited by Acapulco Bill; 03-22-2011 at 12:47 PM. Reason: typo
Acapulco Bill is offline  
Old 03-22-2011, 10:51 AM
  #125  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Richardson TX
Posts: 103
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
c300
hmmm ok guess i'll be doing this very soon then.. been procrastinating..
Imageboi is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: W204 Third Party Component Speaker Upgrade


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: