C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

55w DDM HID - Amazing!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by x942k6
!!!!!! thanks!!!!!
but isnt that for bmws?
is that gonna fit our w204?!?!

EDIT: OOPS!!! didnt see its for mercedes!! hahaha
thanks bro!!!
Haha, yeah, the website used to be exclusive BMW oem part seller. But they have since expanded to infiniti and mercedes. They just have not renamed the title of the website banner I guess? This is the cover for a 2009 C-Class Low beam. I believe they are sold individually (so you will need 2). To my knowledge, the dust cap covers don't vary year to year. But you never know, you may want to change the settings to a 2008, 2010 or 2011 accordingly to be on the safe side?
Old 11-04-2010, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by jctevere
You guys can all thank me later... Haha, just kidding:

http://www.vipgermanparts.com/partlo...layCatalogid=0
I'll thank you now!!
Just put my order in!
Old 11-05-2010, 01:56 AM

2010 White C300 Sport
Originally Posted by jctevere
Haha, yeah, the website used to be exclusive BMW oem part seller. But they have since expanded to infiniti and mercedes. They just have not renamed the title of the website banner I guess? This is the cover for a 2009 C-Class Low beam. I believe they are sold individually (so you will need 2). To my knowledge, the dust cap covers don't vary year to year. But you never know, you may want to change the settings to a 2008, 2010 or 2011 accordingly to be on the safe side?
yep yep~
thanks for the reminder!!
i ordered the 2010 ones
hehe gonna install my hid tonight
Old 11-05-2010, 07:30 AM

C200
Any experience Mist/Condensation on the Headlight after installing aftermarket HID?
Old 11-05-2010, 12:01 PM

C300, 330i, MDX
I went to DDM yesterday and picked up 35W 6K kit w/ cancellers. I went with 35W for a couple reasons,

- 55W kits are still out of stocks and won't be available until at least Nov. 17.
- I didn't want to "blind" oncoming traffic.

After installation, it's not 100% match with 6K leds but really close and I'm satisfied with it. 35W is certainly bright enough for me and I even adjusted my low beam slightly lower than 2 inches below center.

So far, so good... no mist/no condensation...
Old 11-05-2010, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S550
Originally Posted by jog_c300
I went to DDM yesterday and picked up 35W 6K kit w/ cancellers. I went with 35W for a couple reasons,

- 55W kits are still out of stocks and won't be available until at least Nov. 17.
- I didn't want to "blind" oncoming traffic.

After installation, it's not 100% match with 6K leds but really close and I'm satisfied with it. 35W is certainly bright enough for me and I even adjusted my low beam slightly lower than 2 inches below center.

So far, so good... no mist/no condensation...
Isn't 6k a bit too blue when running 35w?

Also I am sure you won't blind anyone with the 55w kit I heard they are about the same brightness as oem (could not believe it myself)

I picked up a 55w kit from a fellow member so when it comes in I will post some photos.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:44 PM

C300, 330i, MDX
Originally Posted by clkcadet
Isn't 6k a bit too blue when running 35w?

Also I am sure you won't blind anyone with the 55w kit I heard they are about the same brightness as oem (could not believe it myself)

I picked up a 55w kit from a fellow member so when it comes in I will post some photos.
35w 6K is in the upper spectrum of white, DDM chart shows a hint of blue compared to 55w, but hardly noticable to me.

IMHO, any headlight focused/projected wrong can "blind" oncoming traffic. According to their DDM's website, 55w is 40% brighter than 35w. 35w is bright enough for me that I didn't feel the need to go any higher. I guess, to each his own...

As said earlier on another post, recommend you start with the passenger side. It's easier... Good luck with your install...
Old 11-06-2010, 03:18 PM

HELP!

I received the HID kit (55w) yesterday for my 2009 Mercedes C300. After installed, My HID has no problem with staying on as long as the car does not start. As soon as I start the car, both sides will flicker for a few seconds and then turn off all together. Then I received the error message "check low" beams. I order the kit without the cancellers as recommended. Now I wonder if the cancellers would fix this problem.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:39 PM

C300, 330i, MDX
Originally Posted by NewR
I received the HID kit (55w) yesterday for my 2009 Mercedes C300. After installed, My HID has no problem with staying on as long as the car does not start. As soon as I start the car, both sides will flicker for a few seconds and then turn off all together. Then I received the error message "check low" beams. I order the kit without the cancellers as recommended. Now I wonder if the cancellers would fix this problem.

A couple of fellow members (maybe more) had issues until they installed error cancellers/eliminators. I recommend that you get a pair and see if that works for you. If not, contact your seller...
Old 11-07-2010, 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by Ratbike1
Thank you for replying.

Yes, I made certain all connections were good. I reversed polarity on both lights (red and black wires). Same deal. They turn on, stay lit for appx 5 seconds, then flicker and go out.

I bought some generic warning cancellers today and they solved the problem. They work great now.

My advice, if you're buying these kits, spend the extra couple bucks and get the cancellers.

Not sure if mine is different because it's a '11?
I am experiencing the exact problem you had and mine is 09. Should have gone with my instinct and ordered with the cancellers. Where did you get the generic warning cancellers? What brand and costs? Thanks.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:28 AM

2010 White C300 Sport
I am experiencing the exact problem you had and mine is 09. Should have gone with my instinct and ordered with the cancellers. Where did you get the generic warning cancellers? What brand and costs? Thanks.
just installed 35w 6000k ddm kit WITHOUT cancelers!

works great with NO warning sign!!!

i did turn on the engine for more than 5 mins and took my car for a 10 min drive~

i have to say its way brighter than stock even wo any adjustment
i am very pleased and am going to adjust the light pattern tmr~
(have 1 black spot on each side)

btw, i have the 2010 w204~ so dont know abt 2009 models

*EDIT: for some reason the ballasts are kinda loud...is this normal?
sounds kinda like prius goin low speed... is this normal??
Old 11-08-2010, 03:46 PM

C300
so which would match Azn's 6k LEDS better, 55 W 8k or 6K? Thanks
Old 11-08-2010, 06:03 PM

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
2022 GLE450
just installed 35w 6000k ddm kit WITHOUT cancelers!

works great with NO warning sign!!!

i did turn on the engine for more than 5 mins and took my car for a 10 min drive~

i have to say its way brighter than stock even wo any adjustment
i am very pleased and am going to adjust the light pattern tmr~
(have 1 black spot on each side)

btw, i have the 2010 w204~ so dont know abt 2009 models

*EDIT: for some reason the ballasts are kinda loud...is this normal?
sounds kinda like prius goin low speed... is this normal??
I would love to see these live, I too live in bellevue
Old 11-09-2010, 03:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
55w 6000k would pretty much be a perfect match for AZN's 6000k led, more so than 35w.

Sorry to all those who are having errors and problems that didn't get a error canceler. I guess to be on the safe side going forward people should just get them; even though to date (probably over a month now) I haven't had any problems at all.

The HID's do have somewhat of a "black spot" on the sides. But it isn't really black, there is still tons of light in these areas, just not as bright as the front (where light is needed most). I just drive with the fogs on and my fogs light up this area great. I suspect the culprit for these black spots is because we have h7 bulbs (which aren't the greatest) and if someone wanted to get truly oem results, they would retrofit a D1S bulb which would be better for even light output.

I'm so glad I got my 8000k in 55w. If I was getting 6000k, I would consider 35w, because light output must be phenomenal, but I love driving past other cars and having my light just completely cover and obliterate theirs, haha.

EDIT: My ballast do make some noise, but not to the point where I can hear it if the hood is closed, unless my ear is right up next to the location and I am specifically listening for it. But yes, I do hear it if I am inside the engine compartment with the hood open. This is just the nature of the beast with ballasts though. My Infiniti OEM Bi-Xenons were much louder, and made a loud click noise when I went to high beams that you could clearly hear inside the car. Haha.

Last edited by jctevere; 11-09-2010 at 04:00 AM.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:12 AM

2011 C300 4Matic
I live in the NYC Area, with lots of gypsy type audio shops around. I have no idea about what brand, all they said was "Warning canceler" on the label. The guy wanted $49, I offered $35, he took it. They worked.
Good luck!
Old 11-09-2010, 01:38 PM

jctevere

If it wasn't for this thread, I would not have done it so thank you for this thread and the pics of installation. You did warn ahead that without the warning cancelers, it may not work for everyone. I took that chance so it isn't your fault.

I went ahead and ordered the warning canceler ($15 + S&H) so they will be here tomorrow. I just hate this waiting period.

The HID kit works fine w/engine off and the light output and the color is AMAZING!!! It's a thousand times better than the stock halogen.

Ratbike1
THanks for the reply!
Old 11-10-2010, 01:50 PM

Updates

I got the warning cancelers this morning. They were delivered to my front door just right before I left for work. Plugged them in and tada.... problem solved!!!

Now I can't wait for night time.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:36 AM

W204
I had just installed a set of 55 watt DDM 6000k hid's too. But the bulb's color differ from one side to the other. One looks more cool white and the other looks more like warm white. Did anybody else with a 55 watt DDM set experience something similar?
Old 11-11-2010, 05:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by W204white2010
I had just installed a set of 55 watt DDM 6000k hid's too. But the bulb's color differ from one side to the other. One looks more cool white and the other looks more like warm white. Did anybody else with a 55 watt DDM set experience something similar?
I do notice a tiny bit of a difference in color from one side to the other. But I suspect this has to do with the cut-off on the passenger side being higher than the cut-off on the driver side. So more light is being let out, more light = whiter color. If it really bothers you, you can use the white little adjustment knobs to make them both even (while making sure you aren't blinding traffic) so that the color minimal or non-existent.

@ the person who asked if there was headlight condensation. I have had them in for more than a month and experienced very cold weather, tons of rain, and warm weather, no condensation at all. Just make sure you don't make the hole you drill in your dust cap covers too big, but just big enough to fit the rubber grommet and wiring through. If I was going to have any condensation I would have had it by now, because my car has been completely covered by morning dew or whatever you call it 2-3 times, and I have had no condensation issues.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:27 PM

W204
Sorry to bring up an old thread. Jctevere, I have the 55 watt ddm slim set too, but sometimes when I turn on the HID's one side doesnt come on. I'd have to turn the lights off and on again in order for both to light up. Could this mean that I need to install the relay harness so the power draws directly from the battery?
Old 11-25-2010, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
Sorry to bring up an old thread. Jctevere, I have the 55 watt ddm slim set too, but sometimes when I turn on the HID's one side doesnt come on. I'd have to turn the lights off and on again in order for both to light up. Could this mean that I need to install the relay harness so the power draws directly from the battery?
Does it come on and then turn off, or not come on at all? Also, does the car register a light out warning or not mention anything? Do you have to completely turn off your car or just the light witch knob to 0 then back to on?

Reason why I am asking is because I am trying to determine if you need the relay wiring harness or a error eliminator. It sounds like the wiring harness would help you, but you really shouldn't need it... How old is your car battery (perhaps get it tested at pepboys or something, they do it free). It could have a bad cell or something. If the car registers a light out message, and you have to turn off your car to clear the message and turn it back on for it to turn on, then you need the error eliminator.

I would recommend if you do the relay harness, you might as well also do the error eliminator (in fact, you might be forced to). If the lights pull its power direct from the battery, then I am assuming the stock wiring will register a fault and trigger the light out message because it isn't being relied upon to power the ballasts.

But before you order it, just double-check your wiring, make sure all is secure and in place, and get your battery tested (why not, its free!). The stock battery (in healthy condition) and stock wiring should be more than capable for delivering the needed amperage on startup. Some people have reported that their lights turn on and then shortly after turn off and are accompanied with the light out message. They then will have to turn off the car to clear the message (so the car will again deliver power to that location instead of thinking it is out and cutting power), and it will turn back on again. This can be because the power draw from the ballasts aren't always constant, so if it drops for a little bit, it could trigger an error message, and only a simple error canceler would alleviate that issue, but yours sounds a bit different?

Let me know how you make out. Using a relay harness is a bit confusing and hard to conceal, if you do determine that it is needed, you might want to just install the error eliminator first (since you will need to anyway) and see if that fixes the problem. If that still doesn't solve it, then you will have to go with the wiring harness relay (assuming that you battery is good).

Last edited by jctevere; 11-25-2010 at 07:59 PM.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:05 AM

W204
The lights started acting up like this this week. When I turn on the car, one side doesnt turn on at all. Then I get the Bulb Out message and have to turn off the car completely and on again in order for the light to turn on again and for the Bulb out message to go away. I haven't experienced the lights turning off once they come on though, so that's good.

I experienced the same problem in my previous vehicle and installing the relay harness fixed the issue. Not sure if that'll be the case here.

I doubt it's the battery since I just picked up the car in August, 2010 brand new, but I'm gonna get it check out first anyways.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
The lights started acting up like this this week. When I turn on the car, one side doesnt turn on at all. Then I get the Bulb Out message and have to turn off the car completely and on again in order for the light to turn on again and for the Bulb out message to go away. I haven't experienced the lights turning off once they come on though, so that's good.

I experienced the same problem in my previous vehicle and installing the relay harness fixed the issue. Not sure if that'll be the case here.

I doubt it's the battery since I just picked up the car in August, 2010 brand new, but I'm gonna get it check out first anyways.
Yeah, I doubt its your battery then, but you never know. The relay harness will definitely solve this problem. I am just unsure if you use the relay harness with it throw an error code? Does anyone know this answer?
Old 11-27-2010, 10:03 PM

2010 White C300 Sport
Sorry~ off topic
After using the 35w DDM kit for about 1 month w/o error eliminator/relay harness
however, i noticed the light output started to decrease and the light is getting bluer and its a little bit purple-ish : (

dont know if you guys has the same problem?

note: due to the snow storm a few days ago, i left my car outside(couldnt dive it up the slipper driveway). I was thinking maybe the low temp damaged the ballast?
Old 12-01-2010, 02:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C250 Coupe
Sorry~ off topic
After using the 35w DDM kit for about 1 month w/o error eliminator/relay harness
however, i noticed the light output started to decrease and the light is getting bluer and its a little bit purple-ish : (

dont know if you guys has the same problem?

note: due to the snow storm a few days ago, i left my car outside(couldnt dive it up the slipper driveway). I was thinking maybe the low temp damaged the ballast?
These are inherent with HID kits, it is sort of a break in period. However, it should not keep decreasing to the point where it becomes increasingly noticeable. Also, what color temp is your kit? It might turn slightly more blue as there is slightly less lumens or brightness to flush out the color, but it should not appear more purple.

The temperature shouldn't have anything to do with it, maybe at startup, but after a few seconds it should go back to normal. Your ballasts are mounted in the engine bay correct?

If the problem gets worse I would contact DDM.

I never park any of my vehicles inside, both my c-class w204 have DDM HID digital slim ballasts, and neither one has problems or anything, been through snow too!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 55w DDM HID - Amazing!!!