C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

DCJW's transmission CLUNK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 03:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 GLK 350 4M (Iridium Silver), 2010 E350 Coupe (Iridium Silver)
DCJW's transmission CLUNK

Searched this forum and posted in a S-class forum to no avail.

I am getting unusually harsh up and down shifts during various situations. Usually below 2500 rpm, as I never really accelerate very hard.

It is usually most noticeable on the downshifts. i.e. Braking to a stop sign/red light, coasting down hill/flat roads.

Basically, the car will jerk and go clunk on one shift on the way down. (I've narrowed it down to ~35 mph in c mode).

Not sure if this is related, but there is a light metallic rattling during shifts under harder acceleration (+3000 rpm) and there is noticeable intermittent(3-4s) wobble at idle in gear.

Some have recommended that resetting the throttle sensor by flooring pedal, turning key to batt a, and then turning off and waiting for a few minutes. (Is it resetting the throttle or actually reflashing the "learned" shift points.)

My main question is whether or not this sounds like a mechanical issue I need to get looked at.

I will note though that every benz I've owned has done this after around 40-50k.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBUSA
dealer time
Old 12-12-2010, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W204 Color: 090 / 1999 Honda Civic EX / 2003 Acura TL
go to the dealer and let them know they can check and replace it under the warranty
Old 12-12-2010, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Does the transmission have the latest software flash? Did it get it's 38,000 mile fluid & filter change? Fluid must be changed every 38,000 miles as in ROW. Ignore MBUSA in this regard. It should not do this. MB have had to replace the electrohydraulic unit (valve body) on some 722.9 transmission to cure jerks & clonks.

Check the flex discs on the propshaft for cracks or play. Check the rear transmission mounting. Lash in the transmission can amplify the condition.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c300
dcjwlee did you get it looked at?? What did they say?
Old 12-23-2010, 10:51 AM

All maintenance is performed as scheduled and the mission oil was changed a few k ago. @ 50000 now.

Scheduled maintenance next thurs. Will have them take a look. I will add that since switching to s mode the jerks are 97 per cent gone. I will make sure to turn the car in in c mode
Old 01-12-2011, 07:43 PM

I need a quick response on this so I can dispute the charges if need be.

Just got charges 312 usd for a "transmission diagnostic". I can deal with eating the initial 125 estimate even though I asked her to call me after the service a and transmission flush. But she didn't call me to detail the condition of the engine and trans fluid as I asked. I wanted to know if the car shfted better afterwards and what her opinion on the problem was. From there I was going to decide if I needed a diagnostic.

Anyways here is a breakdown of the costs.

541011-Short test, perform $50
541012-Test program - after short test, perform. $75
540991-Control unit - software (after short test), install. $37.50
540992-control unit......... Code (after short test), perform. $25
271047 - adaptation perform $125

NOw the part where I get mad is I don't believe for a minute that an Indy shop would charge 312.50 for resetting the adaptive transmission and installing new software.

I think I should have been contacted before the service was performed to detail the aditional charges and more importanty receive an opinion on what is wrong with my car. I know I signed the initial estimate of 900 but I made a personal request for her to call me after service a and the fluid change. Not only did she forget to call for that but she didn't bother to call to say I need new front pads or to even tell me my car was ready when I told her I needed it back the same day even if It meant performing fewer services and rrescheduling. I had to call at 630 to find out that she left foe the day and no one even knew if my car was ready when I called. I barely made it there on time and had to wait a half hour for them to pull out my car. All this time I didn't even know what had been done to the car.

I need someone with real know how to analyze the work listed above and if it is remotely as time consuming as they charged me for.

I'm considering complaining to corporate if I don't get anywhere.

I understand I signed a contract acknowledging the given estimate. But someone tell me where the Human factor comes in where they remember what I asked them to do. If I just wanted an a la carte checklist of aservice items I don't need a freaking advisor-all I need is a computer....

SA patty kim of benzel busch is the worst sa I've encountered. Even worse than Kenneth sirignano who I complained about in my tire post.

In short I need someone th send me the service campaigns on w204 reverse lag and shift lag/harshness and tell me if they should be performed as part of scheduled maintenance when they check netstar/vmi for open campaigns.

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Does the transmission have the latest software flash? Did it get it's 38,000 mile fluid & filter change? Fluid must be changed every 38,000 miles as in ROW. Ignore MBUSA in this regard. It should not do this. MB have had to replace the electrohydraulic unit (valve body) on some 722.9 transmission to cure jerks & clonks.

Check the flex discs on the propshaft for cracks or play. Check the rear transmission mounting. Lash in the transmission can amplify the condition.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBUSA
Call corporate right now...

Sounds like a mini-rape and most of that stuff should be warranty anways...reverse lag, shift lag, etc if you have old software.

I called corporate once and they seemed eager to help.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by GHAZAN

Sounds like a mini-rape and most of that stuff should be warranty anways...reverse lag, shift lag, etc if you have old software.

Its a modest rape at 200 dollars but I am retty sure there are open campaigns on the issue I'm having. I need them in hand for a call to mbusa to be worth my time. At the least, she needs to call me and tell me WHAT she thinks is wronn with my car before she works on it if I asked her to do that. Considering that my transmission makes me feel like I'm getting rear ended at coasting speeds, I think I deserve to know if its something that can be fixed via a 350 dollar reflash and update. I also highly doubt that there is no mechanical damage
Old 01-12-2011, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by GHAZAN

Its a modest rape at 200 dollars but I am retty sure there are open campaigns on the issue I'm having. I need them in hand for a call to mbusa to be worth my time. At the least, my sa needs to call me and tell me WHAT she thinks is wronn with my car before she works on it if I asked her to do that. Considering that my transmission makes me feel like I'm getting rear ended at coasting speeds, I think I deserve to know if its something that can be fixed via a 350 dollar reflash and update. Methinks there be much bigger problems coming later on and that stealerships are out there to keep our cars [barely] running.

Is the 722.9 transmission the one in the 2009 w204? Are there open campaigns?
Old 01-12-2011, 10:12 PM

p.s. Isn't it overkill if I get charged one hour labor for a service a which includes an oil change and yet a transmission fluid service includes nearly two hours of labor at $125 per hour and $225 total? How long does a transmission fluid flush REALLY take? There are a few techs on this forum that know their stuff, would love to hear from you
Old 01-12-2011, 10:36 PM

Mobile mbworld should have an edit button. 125 labor for service a. 540 labor for transmission fluid service and diagnostic/update. At 125 an hour four hours and then some sounds a bit overboard to me.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:57 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Originally Posted by dcjwlee
All maintenance is performed as scheduled and the mission oil was changed a few k ago. @ 50000 now.

Scheduled maintenance next thurs. Will have them take a look. I will add that since switching to s mode the jerks are 97 per cent gone. I will make sure to turn the car in in c mode
So, your car is now out of warranty? Do you have work orders showing that you have complained about this previously, before warranty expiration? Because if you do, it's all still a warranty claim.

This isn't Manhattan MB, is it?

Last edited by RLE; 01-12-2011 at 11:00 PM.