C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI
Old 06-05-2015, 12:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Specifications and General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

new owner of '08 c300 4matic, complete car newb, general questions plz help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c300 4matic
new owner of '08 c300 4matic, complete car newb, general questions plz help

hey guys,

1st post here. Recently purchased an '08 c300 4matic (us vehicle, purchased in canada). As mentioned in the title, I am a total car newb (my 1st car) and would be grateful if you guys could impart some knowledge and advice. All I ask is that if you guys could use as plain English as possible since I not very familiar with commonly used car terminology and such.

A few random questions:

1) The car seems to be running fine right now but I am thinking of taking it into my local MB dealership to do a 360 bumper-to-bumper check-up to look for anything that need immediate repair (since I wouldn't be able to recognize any warning signs), check up on all the fluids, oil change, and things that might be repaired later on. Also want to do this checkup in case the previous owner skipped out on the regular scheduled maintenance or neglected some things since he/she was selling the car.

I haven't contacted the dealership yet regarding pricing for this service but my guess is that it will be somewhat pricey. Is this something you would recommend for someone who is a total car newb? Is it worth the money? I don't mind spending the money (even if I am overpaying a bit) if its worth it and for a peace of mind but at the same time I obviously don't want to be "taken advantage of" at the dealership and get all kinds of "unnecessary" work/service done.

2) Does the car automatically tell you when things are going wrong? Like oil needs to be changed, coolant level is too low,etc,etc. From what I gather by reading the manual, that appears to be the case, but I just to want to confirm with you guys. Right now, my thinking is if the car isn't telling me anything, then everything is functioning properly.

3) I've searched the forums regarding the proper engine temperatures. From what I've read, 80-90c is the normal operating temp. Once again, just want to double check, is this correct?

4) Can you guys provide any good links that give a thorough primer, car 101 type of information for total car newbs such as myself, so I can educate myself and learn the basics?

Sorry for the long post, much appreciated if anyone can help me out here. And please feel free to provide any sort of random advice, anything that a car newb wouldn't know but should know, things to look out for, stuff that you wish someone had told you (when you had your 1st car). Thanks for your time.

- cheers

Last edited by ekinnehs; 12-29-2010 at 03:21 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 173 Likes on 124 Posts
2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2005 C55; 2003 360 Modena
Wow, my first car was a rusty 1976 Fiat 131 station wagon!

First and foremost - don't go to any dealer or repair facility with an open checkbook, and don't ever admit that you're ok overpaying!! You are a dream come true for any service advisor.

You didn't mention the mileage - knowing that might change things. Yes, the temp gauge at a notch or two above 80c is spot on.

Multiple point inspections are done free by dealers all the time - don't pay for it!! After all, the reason is to rope you into paying for stuff they find.

See the top post in this section for DIY guides for W204s. There is another great post, something titled "things I learned about my car after I've owned it"

Give a dealer your VIN and have them do a service report. All dealers are linked, provided that past service was done by a dealer, you're in luck.

You are generally correct, in that the service display will advise you of scheduled maintenance, as well as things like low oil, coolant, tire pressure, washer fluid, etc. However, things like brake bleeds, body lubrication (ie: doors) are covered in the scheduled maintenance guide which is a different manual.

At two years old, you should be looking at at least two oil changes, a brake fluid bleed / flush and probably a brake pad check. Although at average miles, your brakes are probably just fine. There is a wear sensor that gives plenty of advance warning.

Good luck with your purchase, but don't panic, it's not like you purchased a 1976 Fiat!! You have a great car that, depending on how many miles you drive per year, requires nothing more than an annual inspection as advised by the display. My only deviation: I still go by 5,000 mile oil changes, though, and not the 10k or 13k.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
How many miles the car has?
Old 12-29-2010, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 c350
A little above 80 degrees is normal MB temp .
Old 12-29-2010, 09:27 PM

c300 4matic
thanks for the replies so far guys, kjb55 -- your post was very helpful, thank you.

2 questions:
1) service report - what are the main things I should be looking for in this report?
2) multiple point inspection - is it MB dealership standard policy for it to be free? What if dealer tries to charge me for it? After inspection, dealer tells me XYZ needs to be done -- what are some of the common "unnecessary" services that a dealer often tries to sucker a customer into paying for?

Mileage is ~49500km

thanks again guys
Old 12-29-2010, 09:30 PM

If you want piece of mind and your mileage is below 50K you may want to consider getting and extended warranty. I recently looked into this and the cost from Mercedes Benz is about $4600. That would get you a warranty up to 100K miles or maximum of 7 years old. If you are over the 50K mile/48month warranty period you are out of luck as Mercedes will not typically allow extension of the warranty after that time. A good warranty is always good piece of mind.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 173 Likes on 124 Posts
2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2005 C55; 2003 360 Modena
Originally Posted by ekinnehs
thanks for the replies so far guys, kjb55 -- your post was very helpful, thank you.

2 questions:
1) service report - what are the main things I should be looking for in this report?
2) multiple point inspection - is it MB dealership standard policy for it to be free? What if dealer tries to charge me for it? After inspection, dealer tells me XYZ needs to be done -- what are some of the common "unnecessary" services that a dealer often tries to sucker a customer into paying for?

Mileage is ~49500km

thanks again guys
1) You want the service records from the printout to show regular maintenance done per the service schedule provided. You might also find the matching stamps in the service booklet. Your service booklet will show time and mileage requirements and you want the service records to reasonably match.

2) It's not standard policy nor required by MBUSA for dealers to provide it. However, it is very common that dealers offer such a service - as they know they'll find something the car needs.

Fluid flushes are often pushed and rarely needed. Flush the engine, trans, power steering, etc. You have to have a very neglected car with many years and miles before you'd even consider these types of flushes. They're starting to push nitrogen tire fills even!

At 2 years you should elect to do a brake fluid bleed. Make sure that your oil changes are up to date.

Mercedes is very clear both in time and miles as to what service is required - any deviation by the dealer is profit motivated and should be considered suspect.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'15 E350 4M Sport
Originally Posted by hitokiri89
A little above 80 degrees is normal MB temp .
Mine runs about 92-deg C and has since day one. I think 80 is low for these cars.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'08 C300 4Matic Sport, '02 530i
2) multiple point inspection - is it MB dealership standard policy for it to be free? What if dealer tries to charge me for it?
If all you are having done is the multipoint inspection, then the dealer WILL charge you for it. But if they find out a bunch of things that need to be done and you agree to have them do it, then they should not charge you for the inspection itself.

Find a reputable local independent shop to service your car. Most likely this will save you money.

Last edited by Pete7874; 12-31-2010 at 03:39 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI

2 questions:

Mileage is ~49500km

thanks again guys
If you purchased the car from the MB dealer do nothing. If you purchased the car from a private party, take it to the dealer and get an oil change done, and a brake fluid flush and try to get the maintenance records from the dealer at 49500KM you should have plenty of brakes, MB usually are worry free.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
It sounds like you have gotten some pretty good advice already and the simple fact that you even care about how your car is performing is going to put you well ahead of the average driver.
As long as you are cognizant of how your car looks, feels and sounds you should be able to identify and head off any great problems....of course posting your questions and observations on a forum like MB World will get you tons of information to arm yourself with at the shop.
Congrats on the car and hope your motoring knowledge grows by leaps and bounds!