C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

New Volvo S60...what do you guys think...honestly

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c350
Originally Posted by Sportstick

Just to be clear, is this what some of you find sexy?
Actually i find the hatchback to be very appealing, might be getting rid of the 350 for one. They have so many more options for performance. Im valet and a white one came in, sporting the quad exhaust, coilovers, and flat black rims. Was a lot of fun to drive, and even more fun to drool over!
Old 01-30-2011, 07:22 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Hold it?

Originally Posted by MBnewby
I have been reading and watching countless reviews on the new S60 T6 with AWD and I am quite impressed. I have NEVER been interested in Volvo but this new one is hard to dismiss. It basically has two things that my C350 doesn't that I really want in a sport sedan...300 hp and AWD. I think that this car will change a lot of impressions that people have of Volvo. I am not crazy about the exterior design but it's sleek enough although not sexy like the C. The interior though is light years ahead of my 2008 C350. And get this...free maint. for 5 years!!! Anyone drive one of these yet? What are your thoughts?
Two questions:

1. Are you sure you want to become one of the Volvo people?

2. Is the Vovo really that much cheaper than the 2012 facelifted C350 with the direct injection 306HP engine?
Old 01-30-2011, 07:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C350 Sport
Originally Posted by ulovemybenzo
otherwise if ur looking for awd and hp, y not the wrx? and theres so many mods out there for it...
I have thought about the new WRX for sure. After two "sick" days from work recently when I couldn't get my C out of my neighborhood due to unplowed snow I realize that I need AWD. The new tires I have are wonderful (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus) but over about 3-4" of powder and the C350 is unsafe in my opinion. Why 4matic is not available for the C350 is beyond comprehension... I'm not really in the market yet for a new ride but as an enthusiast and car freak I am always looking I've never had a Subie or Volvo but they are on my short list. My wife has a new Jeep GC Overland with Hemi, now that's a beast, love it!!! Even thought about getting a second one in V6 Laredo trim for my next ride but probably don't need two of the same thing. Sorry got off topic here...
Old 01-30-2011, 10:03 PM

2008 C350 Sport
Originally Posted by RLE
Two questions:

1. Are you sure you want to become one of the Volvo people?

2. Is the Vovo really that much cheaper than the 2012 facelifted C350 with the direct injection 306HP engine?
1)I really don't have any preconcieved notions of people who buy particular brands anymore...since owning my first MB. Let's just say you guys have changed my opinion for the better about MB owners, there are lots of stereotypes out there for this brand, Volvo, and others. I think the S60 could be a game-changer for Volvo personally. It's not great but it's lightyears ahead of what they have been offering as far as performance and handling capabilities. At age 33 I've owned Ford, Honda, 2 Mazdas, and now the Benz. If anything I have a soft spot for Mazda but no real brand loyalty other than that. I NEVER thought we'd own a Jeep but now love our new 2011 Jeep GC Overland with Hemi (wife's ride). In this ultra-competitive auto industry now I don't think that you can overlook anyone anymore, which I think is awesome!

2)There's no way that I could afffod a new 2012 C350 although I'd love to have one for the new engine alone. In 2014 I may be able to own a 2012. I bought my 2008 in 11/2009 saving about $8 grand. If I go lux again it will have to be pre-owned.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:30 PM

W204 C350
Originally Posted by Sportstick
In that case, make sure you find a Service Department you like too!

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/ratings...y-premium-car/

Of course, one can't dispute the JD Power surveys -- after all, they just report the statistics. But my experience says that's not the whole story, at least as far as the Audis go.

I've had two A4s, an A6 and Acura TL. I'll admit that all of my Audis had a couple of minor service issues, but I still feel they trumped TL in build quality. Lots of minor rattles, very plastic-y interior. And the front-wheel drive vehicle dynamics not so great, either. TL's are very good cars -- but not one that makes you smile every time you see it. My Audis all did that. I seriously cross-shopped the new S4 before I ordered the C350.

All of the issues on the Audis were addressed under warranty, with generally first-class treatment from my local dealer. By the second year, they were pretty much flawless.

The Power surveys are a great guide -- but just that: a guide. Research and evaluate for yourself. I have a cousin who's quite a car guy, and he's a Volvo loyalist.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by zkrr
Of course, one can't dispute the JD Power surveys -- after all, they just report the statistics. But my experience says that's not the whole story, at least as far as the Audis go.

I've had two A4s, an A6 and Acura TL. I'll admit that all of my Audis had a couple of minor service issues, but I still feel they trumped TL in build quality. Lots of minor rattles, very plastic-y interior. And the front-wheel drive vehicle dynamics not so great, either. TL's are very good cars -- but not one that makes you smile every time you see it. My Audis all did that. I seriously cross-shopped the new S4 before I ordered the C350.

All of the issues on the Audis were addressed under warranty, with generally first-class treatment from my local dealer. By the second year, they were pretty much flawless.

The Power surveys are a great guide -- but just that: a guide. Research and evaluate for yourself. I have a cousin who's quite a car guy, and he's a Volvo loyalist.
I think your history proves (once again!) in every population, there is a distribution and I am glad you were among the positive tail for Audi! You are right, data is just a guide, not a decision-maker, but large sample results certainly give one pause before committing to what may be a greater chance of an unfortunate outcome. Once your name is on the title, things get a bit more complicated! I can't buy an Audi, because I imagine myself waiting in the service department lounge (again...I had one years ago), kicking myself, thinking, "You knew what the JDP data showed!"
Old 01-31-2011, 12:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 Carrara White Metallic Porsche Cayman
I have friends with new Audis..some love them, others say they'll never buy another..who knows.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:52 AM

W204 C350
Originally Posted by C300Kid
I have friends with new Audis..some love them, others say they'll never buy another..who knows.

That's kind of the larger point I was trying to make. 'quality' is very subjective. In my case, the quality of material and design trumped the fact that there were certain (usually electrical) elements that needed to be re-thought -- an unfortunate consequence of which meant all of the cars spent the day at the dealer at least once. But I loved them because I place a very high weight on visual, ergonomic and tactile design, and the VAG products nearly all punch my buttons. Still, I couldn't recommend them without a lot of qualification.

The C350 punches my buttons, too -- which is why I'm on this forum anxiously awaiting delivery of the damn thing!

More on topic -- my limited time in the Volvos (unfortunately, only as a passenger) says that they would not be a bad choice. They're not for me, particularly, but there are lots of things to like about them. Of the three I've spent time in, they're all super quiet, the seats are great (front and rear, btw) and the safety features really do seem well thought through.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by zkrr
That's kind of the larger point I was trying to make. 'quality' is very subjective. In my case, the quality of material and design trumped the fact that there were certain (usually electrical) elements that needed to be re-thought -- an unfortunate consequence of which meant all of the cars spent the day at the dealer at least once. But I loved them because I place a very high weight on visual, ergonomic and tactile design, and the VAG products nearly all punch my buttons. Still, I couldn't recommend them without a lot of qualification.

The C350 punches my buttons, too -- which is why I'm on this forum anxiously awaiting delivery of the damn thing!

More on topic -- my limited time in the Volvos (unfortunately, only as a passenger) says that they would not be a bad choice. They're not for me, particularly, but there are lots of things to like about them. Of the three I've spent time in, they're all super quiet, the seats are great (front and rear, btw) and the safety features really do seem well thought through.
Your decision making is well understood among enthusiast buyers, even if a bit uncommon across all buyers. It is the OE industry metric assessing TGW vs. TGR ("things gone wrong", "things gone right"). This approach has helped explain loyalty to some brands which delight their owners to such a degree that they are willing to overlook the additional burdens of repairs. The majority of the total market prioritizes minimizing TGW over searching for the delight of TGR...this explains the prevalence of Toyotas (before their latest experience with TGW!!). Neither is right nor wrong, and everyone has their own balance, but the concept helps explain how different folks stack their priorities.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
I think its a step in the right direction for Volvo, but personally I wouldn't buy the s60... It is just a bit too odd in the styling department (mainly the front-end styling), and the interior isn't to my taste. But for those that like it, all the more to you!

My suggestion: Look at the g37x (either sedan or coupe). I had the coupe and my sister had the sedan. (and now we both have a c300 4matic, LOL!). But anyway, I absolutely LOVED that car. You can also find great deals on them, and they are packed with technology. Even the base cars come WELL equipped with HID headlights, leather and a large infotainment screen and keyless go... Not to mention that it was a BEAST in the snow (much better than the c300 4matic) and it's power was unreal (Don't turn off the traction control unless your a seasoned vet!).

I think the Infiniti is a perfect blend for what you are looking for. It certainly has the power/performance, the awd capability, great looking ride, and luxurious and packed with features. Take a look!
Old 01-31-2011, 03:36 PM

2008 C350 Sport
Originally Posted by jctevere
I think its a step in the right direction for Volvo, but personally I wouldn't buy the s60... It is just a bit too odd in the styling department (mainly the front-end styling), and the interior isn't to my taste. But for those that like it, all the more to you!

My suggestion: Look at the g37x (either sedan or coupe). I had the coupe and my sister had the sedan. (and now we both have a c300 4matic, LOL!). But anyway, I absolutely LOVED that car. You can also find great deals on them, and they are packed with technology. Even the base cars come WELL equipped with HID headlights, leather and a large infotainment screen and keyless go... Not to mention that it was a BEAST in the snow (much better than the c300 4matic) and it's power was unreal (Don't turn off the traction control unless your a seasoned vet!).

I think the Infiniti is a perfect blend for what you are looking for. It certainly has the power/performance, the awd capability, great looking ride, and luxurious and packed with features. Take a look!
In hindsight I should have looked at a G37x sedan when I bought my C350. There is lots to love about that car for sure but I just couldn't get over the styling. It's ok and the coupe looks much better than the sedan but something about the sedan reminded me of a jello mold. The new one with redesigned front end looks much better though. I also really like the new FX35 so Infiniti may be in my future, one way or the other. As we await our next monster snow storm in the midwest I am realizing that I need a snow capable car.

You know what else might be fun is a Mitsu Evo X with the dual clutch auto. There is an episode of Top Gear that featured that car and it was a snow cat! I could not believe what that thing could do in snow.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:15 PM

2008 C350
I owned a (prev gen) S60 T5 before I bought my C350.

Yes, Volvo seats are far superior to ours in the W204. And I do miss the Turbo. I don't miss the torque steer though -- I'm +1 on RWD if you're a warm climate.

I was quite happy with the reliability and safety of my Volvo and was planning on buying the new S60. I didn't only because how horrible of an experience I had with the dealership here in Sarasota -- Coast Volvo -- and so I walked down the street and fell in love with my C Class.

The new styling is quite aggressive and Volvo has long had trunk entry issues. Decent trunk SPACE in my case, but a crappily designed hatch so it made big things impossible to get in.

Volvo does have a very rich mod community -- it's centered in Sweden and it's neighbors but obv the parts are available in the states as well.

My 2c is I miss the turbo 5 cyl. I thought 5 cyl was a perfect comprimise between 4 and 6.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:02 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
To be honest, I was toying with the idea of picking up an S60 as my next project car... There's like zero modded Volvos out here in SoCal and always loved trailblazing something unique. Volvos have come a long way, but I still get the feeling that they're just not quite there yet. S60 is a step in the right direction.
Old 02-01-2011, 04:28 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
'20 Targa 4 DD, ' 18 Volvo S60 T6
New generation S60 is a complete downgrade from last gen. Looks like any generic mass market car, front end styling from A pillar forward is timid at best. Interior looks very cheap.

Perf stats are good though - too bad they ruined the looks and interior design/quality. It just looks like a $20K car.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:59 AM

2016 C300 4Matic Lux w/ P1, P2, Lighting Package
I went to the local S60 "unveiling" in my city some months back. It was one of those "events" where the dealership hosted free food (Swedish meatballs!! included ), drinks and the obligatory touring troop of emcees/announcers extolling the car's virtues.

I found it to be a radical departure from the old boxy Volvo style and quite attractive. Unlike others here, I thought the interior was beautiful and the seats were really comfortable.

At the time, I was about to replace my older C class with a new one, but wanted to check out the S60 first. I have to say, the S60 made my choice difficult, but in the end, the lack of the S60's spare tire was a deal breaker for me.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
c350coupe, Gencoupe R-spec
idk in my eyes the s60 is just not for me, id much rather keep driving my c350. And when it comes to modifying them im sure its gonna be a pain in the a$$, id much prefer to get a 335i or even a 135i
Old 02-02-2011, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
X3 and 2012 C coming soon
Sorry, I did not have time to read all posts, but I wanted to throw this out there:

Other than the exterior appearance (which is growing on me) I really like the new S60. Volvo makes great cars. I've owned several. I really like the interiors (even the elephant hide). If you're into aftermmarket mods, check out IPD and Heico. They are slow to get products to market though. The best forum is www.swedespeed.com

http://www.ipdusa.com/
Old 02-02-2011, 09:47 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
Also the S60 did pretty damn good at the Global Tuner GP, coming in with the best time in the Unlimited class (over HPF M3 and GBR 996 GT3!) and second in the challenge race losing only to the Porsche WC-997 GT3.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
The Volvo S60 is a great car!

Remember in most parts of the world the Benz also comes with a maintenance plan. Dropped in US because you pay so little for them.