C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

tire puncture found after delivery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 06:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML350 BT
tire puncture found after delivery

When I bought my new C in Dec, I also bought a set of winter tires and rims, and I had the dealership mount the winter set for delivery - I've never driven the car with the originals. (AMG 18s)

Well, I was about to switch sets this weekend - it turns out there's a screw embedded in one of the new tires. Through the contact patch area, not the sidewall. I started taking the screw out but stopped when I heard hissing.

This could only have happened before delivery, during PDI.
What's a realistic resolution? Just having it plugged? Is that safe and permanent? Having the dealership pay for a new tire?

Thanks
Old 03-26-2011, 08:02 PM

2009 C300 Luxury P1 w/Multimedia, Arctic White
Plugs are pretty cheap to have done. But since it's a brand new tire, I'd kindly ask the dealership for a new one. Since they mounted the winter tires before you took delivery, they should have record that those tires haven't been used by you....unless you've already mounted them.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
I would try the dealer, explain the situation, but IMO, prepare to bend over and get raped... Sorry to hear your situation, hope it works out for you.

You can plug it and it will be absolutely fine. But to appease those that will argue with me until their face is blue, they will say it is dangerous and a bad option. To which I would also recommend bringing it to a tire shop and having them unmount the tire from the rim and patch it from the inside. Costco does this - for a fee, but its not much, definitely better than the cost of a new tire, and considering yours is truly new, I would try this route.

But of course, try the dealer first, you never know...
Old 03-27-2011, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6 Speed Manual, 1953 Chevy Bel-Air, 2015 Audi allroad, 1963 Chevy Apache
A good dealer should take care of you with this one. It's pretty obvious the screw didn't get shoved in there while sitting in your garage so hopefully common sense and customer service will rult the day!
Old 03-27-2011, 12:47 PM

a g
Originally Posted by jctevere
I would try the dealer, explain the situation, but IMO, prepare to bend over and get raped... Sorry to hear your situation, hope it works out for you.

You can plug it and it will be absolutely fine. But to appease those that will argue with me until their face is blue, they will say it is dangerous and a bad option. To which I would also recommend bringing it to a tire shop and having them unmount the tire from the rim and patch it from the inside. Costco does this - for a fee, but its not much, definitely better than the cost of a new tire, and considering yours is truly new, I would try this route.

But of course, try the dealer first, you never know...
A tire that is plugged is not properly inspected for internal damage. The action of plugging the tire further exacerbates the problem of the puncture itself. It can absolutely be considered dangerous and a bad option. But as you say in the next sentence, getting it patched is the proper method. This is approved by the Tire Industry Of America, and The Rubber Manufacturers Association. And even better, it still allows the tire manufacturer to cover the tire should it ever have a warrant-able failure.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:46 PM

Mercedes Benz C300 Sport
Originally Posted by OliverU
When I bought my new C in Dec, I also bought a set of winter tires and rims, and I had the dealership mount the winter set for delivery - I've never driven the car with the originals. (AMG 18s)

Well, I was about to switch sets this weekend - it turns out there's a screw embedded in one of the new tires. Through the contact patch area, not the sidewall. I started taking the screw out but stopped when I heard hissing.

What's a realistic resolution? Just having it plugged? Is that safe and permanent? Having the dealership pay for a new tire?

Thanks
Like what others have suggested... Get a hold of your dealer first and maybe they can resolve this by replacing it with a new tire... If not you can always bring it to your local tire shop and have them inspect it thoroughly and patch in inside which would cost you around $15
Old 03-28-2011, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Originally Posted by OliverU

Thanks
Don't PLUG your tires! It's the cheap and lazy way to do things. It's not much more to have your tires inspected and patched at your local tire shop. 20 bucks? No more than 30 dollars. Chances of your dealer giving you a new tires is slim to none. They will most likely patch your tire out of good will.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:20 PM

2013 ML350 BT
That's what they did - patched from the inside.
Thanks RedG - I was concerned about warranty too.
Old 03-28-2011, 03:51 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Originally Posted by RedG
A tire that is plugged is not properly inspected for internal damage. The action of plugging the tire further exacerbates the problem of the puncture itself. It can absolutely be considered dangerous and a bad option. But as you say in the next sentence, getting it patched is the proper method. This is approved by the Tire Industry Of America, and The Rubber Manufacturers Association. And even better, it still allows the tire manufacturer to cover the tire should it ever have a warrant-able failure.
A friend who was a long-time Bridgestone employee has said that a plugged tire loses it's speed rating.