C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

HELP - Manual Trans issue

Old 04-21-2011, 08:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2019 C43 Coupe
HELP - Manual Trans issue

Hi Guys,

So I've got a 2011 C300 Manual. I get this very weird feeling when getting into 1st gear. (Starting from a dead stop). As I come off the clutch and you start to feel the transmission engage, it feels like the clutch is slipping for half a second and then all of the sudden hooks up.

I've been driving manuals all my life and it's a noticeably sloppy feeling in 1st gear only. It makes me feel like an amateur because for the life of me I can't get a smooth start.

Anyone else have this problem? It goes away after the car has been driven for about 10mins..
Old 04-21-2011, 09:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Since new, I've had what I would describe as a slight shudder at the exact moment you describe. It is solved with a slightly higher engine speed before engaging the clutch, but it never goes away, warmed up or not.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 6M
I experienced the same although at least for me, slightly higher RPMs (as prev said) and a slower press of the pedal relieved the problem.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:17 AM

2019 C43 Coupe
Thanks for the feedback guys. It just doesn't feel right to me, I'm contemplating bringing it in to the dealer for a little check up.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Mikey52
Thanks for the feedback guys. It just doesn't feel right to me, I'm contemplating bringing it in to the dealer for a little check up.
With just about any issue regarding the manual transmission, my otherwise very good dealer admits they see so few of these (in other words, none, around here) that they don't really know what "normal" is for them. Hope you find someone with more experience. I bought the car knowing the trans was the relative weak link for MB, after I would not accept BMWs idiocy in removing any possible spare tire storage space....but I still miss the BMW transmission. If you haven't driven one...DON'T...it will just make you feel worse.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
The Benz MT is a clunker but it sounds as though something is wrong. Clutch plate, pressure plate, flywheel facing finish or hydraulics - or a combo of these. Make them check it out.

To me Benz MT's spoil the driving experience.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E350 4M Sport
Originally Posted by Sportstick
...but I still miss the BMW transmission. If you haven't driven one...DON'T...it will just make you feel worse.
I've had a couple of BMW's with manuals that were not so much fun to drive. Some were made by ZF (an arm of GM I believe). One of my M5's was so notchy in 1st and 2nd that it was horrible until it warmed up. Even then it was tough to shift sometimes. One of my M3's (E36) was just sloppy and I knew several people who "money" shifted their way into a required engine replacement. I have never driven the MB manual but I'm not so sure BMW is so great,... it just depends on the vehicle.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by noka
I've had a couple of BMW's with manuals that were not so much fun to drive. Some were made by ZF (an arm of GM I believe). One of my M5's was so notchy in 1st and 2nd that it was horrible until it warmed up. Even then it was tough to shift sometimes. One of my M3's (E36) was just sloppy and I knew several people who "money" shifted their way into a required engine replacement. I have never driven the MB manual but I'm not so sure BMW is so great,... it just depends on the vehicle.
Wow...it's been awhile since I owned one, and it does sound as if things have changed. Their gearshift used to be legendary. Thanks for the heads-up...if I consider changing over for the next car, I will be sure to have an extended test drive including cold starts.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:59 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
SRT-6
Not sure if it makes you feel any better, but mine has a similar feel to it, and mine is based on the older SLK 6-speed. 1st gear is miserably short, but it does help when creeping along at 3mph in traffic. Once I'm out of 1st, the gearbox is lovely. I wouldn't describe it as a smooth transmission, but the throws are nice and short and there is very little vibration through the shifter when engaged, unlike the Z cars.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E350 4M Sport
Wow...it's been awhile since I owned one, and it does sound as if things have changed. Their gearshift used to be legendary. Thanks for the heads-up...if I consider changing over for the next car, I will be sure to have an extended test drive including cold starts.
Don't misunderstand. I cannot comment on current (or even recent past) models. My last M5 was an '03 and my last E36 M3 was a '99. It could be things have changed.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by noka
Don't misunderstand. I cannot comment on current (or even recent past) models. My last M5 was an '03 and my last E36 M3 was a '99. It could be things have changed.
Got it, but it can go back and forth, I guess. My last one wasn't even in the same decade as your oldest one! Car choices got sidetracked by working in the domestic industry.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W204 Color: 090 / 1999 Honda Civic EX / 2003 Acura TL
higher rev's will work and will solve the problem. did you get it check by the dealer?
Old 04-22-2011, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Getrag gearboxes fitted by BMW could absorb huge torque but were notchy beasts. ZF were generally very good.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E350 4M Sport
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Getrag gearboxes fitted by BMW could absorb huge torque but were notchy beasts. ZF were generally very good.
Actually, you are right! I had it partly wrong. My M5 had the Getrag and my M3 had the ZF. The Getrag was notchy. The ZF was smooth but a bit 'rubbery' (due to some bushings as I recall) and if you shifted too hard, too much flexibility allowed (for example) grabbing 2nd instead of 4th on a downshift from 5th, with disastrous consequences. Thanks for reminding me.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:13 AM

2019 C43 Coupe
Originally Posted by Spec_Davis
higher rev's will work and will solve the problem. did you get it check by the dealer?

The higher revs did work. On all my other manuals, when getting into 1st gear I would try to almost "catch" first gear. - Like have it hook up at the lowest rpms possible. I felt this was the smoothest way to get moving from a stop. With my C300 this cant be done - It slips for half a second and then hooks up.

So yes, the higher revs solves the problem but this bothers me a bit because I feel like I'm riding the clutch.

As mentioned in my original post, this is only an issue after a cold start. 5-7 mins into the drive, 1st gear is good to go and I can use my old method.

I hope what I'm saying makes sense? It's tough to describe these things.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Mikey52
The higher revs did work. On all my other manuals, when getting into 1st gear I would try to almost "catch" first gear. - Like have it hook up at the lowest rpms possible. I felt this was the smoothest way to get moving from a stop. With my C300 this cant be done - It slips for half a second and then hooks up.

So yes, the higher revs solves the problem but this bothers me a bit because I feel like I'm riding the clutch.

As mentioned in my original post, this is only an issue after a cold start. 5-7 mins into the drive, 1st gear is good to go and I can use my old method.

I hope what I'm saying makes sense? It's tough to describe these things.
It makes perfect sense, and the first paragraph well-captures my experience, except mine never goes away, warm or not. Have you also noticed that, unless your 1-2 upshift catches the falling revs spot on, the car lurches a bit with the somewhat "grabby" engagement? It's more sensitive than any other car I've had, although when perfectly executed, those shifts are silky smooth.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:36 AM

2019 C43 Coupe
It makes perfect sense, and the first paragraph well-captures my experience, except mine never goes away, warm or not. Have you also noticed that, unless your 1-2 upshift catches the falling revs spot on, the car lurches a bit with the somewhat "grabby" engagement? It's more sensitive than any other car I've had, although when perfectly executed, those shifts are silky smooth.
Absolutely. There's no sloppy shifting allowed with these cars.
I'm sorry to hear your problem doesn't go away after a few minutes. I guess you just get used to a new method of driving and it becomes second nature.