C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

quickie advice about buying a 2008 C300??? (Lux vs sport?)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
many
quickie advice about buying a 2008 C300??? (Lux vs sport?)

They just changed my C230 kompressor's cylinder head (!!!!-thank you, extended warranty!!!), and due to mileage and some other periodic small stuff AND driving a new loaner, I'm thinking about plunging on to a W204.

As in, in the next 3 days!

For one question, what's the difference between the luxury and sport models? And which one has which grille? I was Googling but didn't find what I was looking for, maybe because I have a bad head cold and my brain is not at full capacity

Any options to try and get?

To connect an iPod, do I need that $500 box + labor to code it into the MOST system?

And Bluetooth-still not standard? What's the situation for 2008s? (If there's a thread, be kind and point me to it, I'd appreciate it. I'm sure there are Bluetooth threads here but I'm specifically wondering what might have come standard in '08 if anything).

Any other advice is all very welcome!
Old 05-23-2011, 07:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C300
sport has the AMG styling while the LUX has the classic MB appeal. The Sport has the Large Star in the center of the grille while the Lux has the traditional Star on the hood propped up.

They have the Ipod option which has its own cable in the glove box. I believe that option was $200. It lets you control the ipod/iphone via the steering wheel.

Bluetooth comes standard with P2 I believe (MM package) Forgot but I'm pretty sure its part of the MM package.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by head_unit
They just changed my C230 kompressor's cylinder head (!!!!-thank you, extended warranty!!!), and due to mileage and some other periodic small stuff AND driving a new loaner, I'm thinking about plunging on to a W204.

For one question, what's the difference between the luxury and sport models? And which one has which grille? I was Googling but didn't find what I was looking for, maybe because I have a bad head cold and my brain is not at full capacity
http://www.benzonly.com/article21.aspx

Good luck with your choice!
Old 05-23-2011, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2010 C300 Sport
Recommend splurging for the C350 over the C300, which is being discontinued in favor of the new C250 CGI which provides nearly the same performance as the C300 with 25% better gas mileage.

This will help the C350 maintain its value longer, even so the new C350 CGI 3.5L engine gets direct injection and 38 more HP and 20 NM more torque.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by Acapulco Bill
Recommend splurging for the C350 over the C300, which is being discontinued in favor of the new C250 CGI which provides nearly the same performance as the C300 with 25% better gas mileage.

This will help the C350 maintain its value longer, even so the new C350 CGI 3.5L engine gets direct injection and 38 more HP and 20 NM more torque.
C300 is not being discontinued in the U.S. It will be the only 4MATIC model in the new C Class line up. C250 and C350 will be rear wheel drive only.
Old 05-23-2011, 09:27 PM

2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2012 BMW 335is Conv.
Bluetooth is standard on all W204s, at least in the US.

The Sport vs Luxury differences are covered very well in the link posted by Sportstick except some of the differences don't apply to 2008 models. The LED running lights only apply to the 2011. The wheels were different between the two models but the wheels in 2008 were different than the 2011 wheels pictured on the page. The "sporty tube look" of the instrument cluster that is listed for the Sport model was not available in 2008. The Burl Walnut trim was not available on Sport models in 2008 and this isn't mentioned because it doesn't apply anymore, but in 2008 the beige interior was not available on Sport models. That is why even now that the beige interior is available on Sports, it still comes with certain Luxury features like the four-spoke steering wheel and Luxury seats.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:36 AM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944

Any options to try and get?

To connect an iPod, do I need that $500 box + labor to code it into the MOST system?

And Bluetooth-still not standard? What's the situation for 2008s? (If there's a thread, be kind and point me to it, I'd appreciate it. I'm sure there are Bluetooth threads here but I'm specifically wondering what might have come standard in '08 if anything).

Any other advice is all very welcome!
You should visit several dealers to eyeball the various colors and see for yourself what you do not want.

Three days is not enough time. You are familiar with the term Buyer's Remorse? We see it a lot here.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:41 PM

many
Originally Posted by Sportstick
PERFECT link! Thanks so much!

Now, gotta find similar for iPod integration...
Old 05-24-2011, 02:42 PM

many
Originally Posted by balticgreen
Bluetooth is standard on all W204s, at least in the US.

The Sport vs Luxury differences are covered very well in the link posted by Sportstick except some of the differences don't apply to 2008 models. The LED running lights only apply to the 2011. The wheels were different between the two models but the wheels in 2008 were different than the 2011 wheels pictured on the page. The "sporty tube look" of the instrument cluster that is listed for the Sport model was not available in 2008. The Burl Walnut trim was not available on Sport models in 2008 and this isn't mentioned because it doesn't apply anymore, but in 2008 the beige interior was not available on Sport models. That is why even now that the beige interior is available on Sports, it still comes with certain Luxury features like the four-spoke steering wheel and Luxury seats.
And thank YOU, because I am looking at 2 cars with Walnut, but prefer Sport.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:45 PM

many
Originally Posted by RLE
You should visit several dealers to eyeball the various colors and see for yourself what you do not want.

Three days is not enough time. You are familiar with the term Buyer's Remorse? We see it a lot here.
Your advice is very good. My case is a little different, since I worked on Benz navi testing and spent literally tens of thousands of miles in C-Class.

Unfortunately, in development it is not clear what becomes standards versus optional for which year of car. So I am very familiar with the cars themselves, but not standard and optional features.

It appears, for instance, that I need to research iPod more. I see everything from a simple AUX to "$1000 piece of @#$#$@" comments for all different models and years of Benz. It's rather confusing. I was testing an "MMI" box but it was not for W204. I think that box was $500 but I presume due to hellacious MOST recoding that a dealer will want and arm and a leg...
Old 05-24-2011, 07:24 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Your advice is very good. My case is a little different, since I worked on Benz navi testing and spent literally tens of thousands of miles in C-Class.
Are you in New Jersey?
Old 05-25-2011, 09:09 PM

2014 GLK250 BlueTEC, 2012 BMW 335is Conv.
It appears, for instance, that I need to research iPod more. I see everything from a simple AUX to "$1000 piece of @#$#$@" comments for all different models and years of Benz. It's rather confusing. I was testing an "MMI" box but it was not for W204. I think that box was $500 but I presume due to hellacious MOST recoding that a dealer will want and arm and a leg...
If you're still looking at 2008s, your iPod options aren't great. There's the "iPod Integration Kit" which is $200-300 and connects an iPod in the glove box but it's only controllable from the steering wheel buttons and instrument cluster display. This works with or without the Multimedia Package (COMAND/Navigation). Then there's the "Nav+4 Universal Media Interface (UMI)" which will only work without COMAND. It also happens to be expensive, especially for what it is, at $1500+ installed but it allows you to control an iPod in the glovebox from the central screen and controller as well as adds navigation to the smaller Audio 20 screen. Finally there is an AUX-in jack in the glove box but this only carries the audio signal from the headphone jack of the iPod to the stereo and does not allow any control of the iPod from the vehicle controls.

I'm not sure what the aftermarket options might be but I think those three options I just listed are it as far as a Mercedes approved option goes for a 2008.

In 2010, the Multimedia package started coming with the "iPod/MP3 Media Interface" which is actually quite nice and is what the old "iPod Integration Kit" SHOULD have been all along.