C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Newbie's concerns

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C350
Newbie's concerns

Hi guys,

I'm a newbie here and I just bought a 2008 C350 (haven't got the car yet cause I'm waiting for it to be shipped here). I've seen, not actually drove one, 2008 C-Class a lot and really like the style. My brother helped me with buying the car so I haven't even seen it yet. It's CPO and everything but I have a small concern since I read some of the reviews online. Especially this one from cars.about.com

"I found a lot to like in the new C-Class: Big-car feel, German solidity, and cool (optional) multimedia system. But there was also a lot I didn't like, and it mostly centered around the interior décor. To me, what makes a Mercedes a Mercedes is what I call the "Aaaah factor" (as in "Aaaah, that feels good," not "Open your mouth and say aaaah") -- a feeling of elegance and serenity that washes over me every time I get in. The C-Class just didn't do that for me. So what cars have the Aaaah factor in this price range? The Lexus ES350 offers more luxury, more space, and more available options at the expense of simpler running gear. BMW's entry-level 328i makes a better family car, while the Audi A4 is more involving to drive, though its interior is Spartan and its controls more complex. If you like to go fast, the Infiniti G35 is a great alternative to the C350 Sport. The Volkswagen Passat 3.6 is fast, well-equipped, and roomy. And while I know that some people will retch when they read this, both the Hyundai Azera and Buick Lucerne deliver a smooth ride and pleasant interior at a bargain price.
If you're interested in a C because you are looking for a low-cost Mercedes, you won't be disappointed -- the C offers the stately manner and solid feel for which Mercedes is famous. Still, you do get what you pay for, and the C gives up many of the attributes that make its more expensive stablemates so endearing. Me, I'd either scrape together the money for a base-model E-Class, or I'd buy a different car. -- Aaron Gold"

And this is the review from one of the reader:

"
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 vs 2008 VW Passat, Member FMZ840
Let me get straight to the point! I reviewed and drove both vehicles. MB C300 most definitely has the instant, swift speed, power and agility. The interior is comfortable, sleek and appealing to the eyes. Whereas the VW Passat (being a German cousin) has the same although I do admit the instant response is a few seconds behind it's class counter part. Comparing Apples to Apples the two cars are petty much similar, sturdy, sleek, sporty and classy. I was extremely disappointed with MD C300 for the little things that VW Passat added as standard. Door locks once you put the vehicle in gear, the lighted dash compass is very helpful, Sirius Radio not extra (although one picks up the cost after a 6 months free trail) but enjoyed the option of having it on board w/o having to pay extra for a different radio as MB offers. Yes MB's sound system has more ""ummph"" yet it's VW cousin could let out a nice loud scream! The Ipod connection is next the the driver in the side console whereas MD you pay to have it installed and it is located in the glove compartment near the right passager side (what driver in his/her right mind is going to make that kind of reach). The trunk space in the VW is slightly larger as is the back seat leg and head room for those taller passengers and it offers a full size spare tire and not a donut like MB (just feel more comfortable and safer driving off on a ""real"" tire and not a donut. Both have a very classy rich European look and VW has a life long rust protection plan. The cost for repair for the VW has it hands down (since we all know we will be paying a Kings ransom for the MB name). My conclusion is VW Passat is better choice for price since it is on equal footing with MB C300 and the little standard extras VW offers makes it worth the investment – unless you just have to SHOW & TELL the world you can afford a MB."

I believe the one I bought doesn't have P2 package or MM so it's really just a standard options. I know this is a MB and you can't go wrong with German cars and MB is a big name but these thing are really confusing me now. Any thoughts guys?

P/S: "My conclusion is VW Passat is better choice for price since it is on equal footing with MB C300 and the little standard extras VW offers makes it worth the investment – unless you just have to SHOW & TELL the world you can afford a MB." <<< This is messed up

Last edited by Sammael; 06-17-2011 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Add some infos
Old 06-17-2011, 05:51 PM
IGB

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
'08 C300 MM Pano
Sounds to me like you should have addressed these issues before actually buying the car. My guess is that you won't be disappointed with it, but then again, the other cars listed in the articles you quoted aren't perfect either (not that any one car can be deemed as "perfect"). So it really boils down to what YOU want or are looking for, versus what others may offer as their personal opinion.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:54 PM

2008 C350
Well I already bought the car and from the look of it, I know I won't be disappointed. It's just it's really messed up when someone compared MB to a VW Passat. And it's an MB so I didn't think I had to do a lot of research for it, imo.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:11 PM
IGB

'08 C300 MM Pano
Originally Posted by Sammael
It's just it's really messed up when someone compared MB to a VW Passat.
Precisely... So why would you place any weight to that one particular review!
Old 06-17-2011, 06:14 PM

2008 C350
It's more like a frustration when I read that review
Old 06-17-2011, 06:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C300
Don't bother with the review. That's just 1 persons opinion about whats what. Everyone has their own taste. I doubt anyone would say to you "why'd you get that C300 when you could have gotten a Passat?" normally they wouldn't even be heard of in the same sentence. In the end the only review that matters is your own.
Old 06-17-2011, 06:31 PM
IGB

'08 C300 MM Pano
Here's a excerpt from his review....

Originally Posted by Sammael
2008 Mercedes Benz C300 vs 2008 VW Passat, Member FMZ840
Let me get straight to the point! I reviewed and drove both vehicles. MB C300 most definitely has the instant, swift speed, power and agility. The interior is comfortable, sleek and appealing to the eyes. Whereas the VW Passat (being a German cousin) has the same although I do admit the instant response is a few seconds behind it's class counter part.
Now keep in mind, and it is no secret that some members on here (and elsewhere) feel that the the C-Class has some lag when shifting into a higher gear... Add to that the "few seconds" he rates the VW as having, and that, in my book, would frustrate the hell out of me in certain situations where I need that near instant "umph"...

I can keep going and pick his entire review apart, but at the end of the day, that is his personal opinion and i have mine.

You can wait until you get yours, drive it for a few days, and then go back to that article and write your own review.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:00 PM

2008 C350
Thanks techc300 and IGB, that sounds a whole lot better than that review. Like I said earlier, I'm sure I won't be disappointed with the C350 cause after all, it's an MB and I really trust German cars. I'm not looking for speed or race (that's why I got this one) anymore so the way the car shifting or things like that is not going to bother me. Coming from a 350Z will probably be fun for me to drive this one