C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

TPMS sensor rebuild kit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'15 E350 4M Sport
TPMS sensor rebuild kit

Sullivan Tire (NH) is telling me that the TPMS requires a rebuild kit ($10 ea) that replaces maybe a washer nut, gasket. My MB dealer service says they don't touch it.

I found the following link that discusses it but I'm not sure there is any consensus. Do we have any MB tech on board who could clarify? https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...do-i-need.html
Old 08-19-2011, 04:58 PM
IGB

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
'08 C300 MM Pano
Originally Posted by noka
Sullivan Tire (NH) is telling me that the TPMS requires a rebuild kit ($10 ea) that replaces maybe a washer nut, gasket. My MB dealer service says they don't touch it.

I found the following link that discusses it but I'm not sure there is any consensus. Do we have any MB tech on board who could clarify? https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...do-i-need.html
Its not only "Sullivan"... I know most tire stores will offer that as an option when you're replacing tires. Obviously overpriced @ $10 (when in reality the only thing that might justify being replaced is the gasket).

Some see it as an added expense, others see it as preventive maintenance (we replace some gaskets/washers when we unbolt something).

I'm betting your MB dealer service does not sell replacement tires... If they did, they'd offer it at what I'm guessing will be more than $10
Old 08-19-2011, 05:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E350 4M Sport
Originally Posted by IGB
Its not only "Sullivan"... I know most tire stores will offer that as an option when you're replacing tires. Obviously overpriced @ $10 (when in reality the only thing that might justify being replaced is the gasket).

Some see it as an added expense, others see it as preventive maintenance (we replace some gaskets/washers when we unbolt something).

I'm betting your MB dealer service does not sell replacement tires... If they did, they'd offer it at what I'm guessing will be more than $10
I didn't mean to imply it was Sullivan only. I actually have had good service from them over the years and we get tires for my wife's V-dub there. I just wanted a tech's opinion from the board. Actually, my MB dealer does sell replacements (but only the stock tires and they do mounting an balancing). The stock tires through them are pricey, however if you bring a set to them, their m/b fees are competitive. I thought it was strange that the SA said he never heard of them doing that. He thought maybe Sullivan removes the sensor but he says MB doesn't touch it. I remain confused.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E350 4M Sport
Any MB tech or someone with real knowledge about this (not just an opinion)?
Old 08-20-2011, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
The O-ring will begin to deteriorate over time just like any other piece of rubber. This will cause you to lose pressure in the tire. Since it is such a simple preventative maintenance measure, it is recommended when the tire is removed from the rim. When I switched rims, the shop didn't use the rebuild kit and I had issues with 2 rims (1 front/1 rear). The other 2 were fine. The frustration and time it took to remedy the problem would have been solved if the had used $40 worth of rebuild kits. It's up to you if you want to risk it for $40.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E350 4M Sport
Originally Posted by AkaSigFreak
It's up to you if you want to risk it for $40.
It's not the money. I was concerned that a) since they don't leak now, if they were to use some aftermarket parts,... and whether they would fit properly and possibly cause a leak where I have none now (keeping in mind I only have 20K on the car/wheels/tires) and b) why my MB dealer doesn't seem to know anything about it or use rebuild kits when replacing tires.

If I can't get an expert opinion, I will likely decide to just do it.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:26 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Slow leaks

Originally Posted by AkaSigFreak
The O-ring will begin to deteriorate over time just like any other piece of rubber. This will cause you to lose pressure in the tire. Since it is such a simple preventative maintenance measure, it is recommended when the tire is removed from the rim. When I switched rims, the shop didn't use the rebuild kit and I had issues with 2 rims (1 front/1 rear). The other 2 were fine. The frustration and time it took to remedy the problem would have been solved if the had used $40 worth of rebuild kits. It's up to you if you want to risk it for $40.
Or, if a tire starts to lose pressure and there is no other reason to remove the tire, simply take a 7/16 socket in your fingers and turn the nut down a tiny bit. That's how I eliminated a very slow leakdown which has not returned.

I was surprised that the nut is not metric.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E350 4M Sport
Originally Posted by RLE
Or, if a tire starts to lose pressure and there is no other reason to remove the tire, simply take a 7/16 socket in your fingers and turn the nut down a tiny bit. That's how I eliminated a very slow leakdown which has not returned.

I was surprised that the nut is not metric.
Not related to my issue but a good thing to check.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'11 C350 '13 F150 lariat
I am not a tech but have LOTS of MB sensors, actually 3 sets floating around in 5 sets of wheels I rotate. I have switched sensors many times, never changed the O rings yet, the one set of TPMS is from my 08 350 same batteries and o-rings. I use copper lube on the threads and always spray them down w PB blaster when seperating and clean the stem nut with a plumbers brush when swapping. My first set of wheels I swapped a year into the car, I cracked 2 sensors cause the nuts were grimy and frozen. I also have used rubber renew like the stuff u use on ur cars trim before I seat them, I have never had a problem. Make sure whoever swaps a sensor unbeads the tire and doesnt crack the bead and try removing with the tire still on the rim, it will almost always break the TPMS. I have a set of real BRABUS wheels that cannot acept TPMS, they have threaded 1/4 stems because of the 3 piece nature of the wheels. What we did is unmount the sensor from the stem and use regular screw stems, and used a band around the rim to hold the TPMS, its actually a ford OEM band and work perfect. Im actually gonna start using that system from now on to avoid the TPMS leaking issue. I hate the finish on the retaining stem compared to chrome/and or powdercoat of the wheels. Sticks out too much against that background
Old 08-21-2011, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E350 4M Sport
Originally Posted by jimmythegreek
I am not a tech but have LOTS of MB sensors, actually 3 sets floating around in 5 sets of wheels I rotate. I have switched sensors many times, never changed the O rings yet, the one set of TPMS is from my 08 350 same batteries and o-rings. I use copper lube on the threads and always spray them down w PB blaster when seperating and clean the stem nut with a plumbers brush when swapping. My first set of wheels I swapped a year into the car, I cracked 2 sensors cause the nuts were grimy and frozen. I also have used rubber renew like the stuff u use on ur cars trim before I seat them, I have never had a problem. Make sure whoever swaps a sensor unbeads the tire and doesnt crack the bead and try removing with the tire still on the rim, it will almost always break the TPMS. I have a set of real BRABUS wheels that cannot acept TPMS, they have threaded 1/4 stems because of the 3 piece nature of the wheels. What we did is unmount the sensor from the stem and use regular screw stems, and used a band around the rim to hold the TPMS, its actually a ford OEM band and work perfect. Im actually gonna start using that system from now on to avoid the TPMS leaking issue. I hate the finish on the retaining stem compared to chrome/and or powdercoat of the wheels. Sticks out too much against that background
I'm not changing wheels or sensors, only getting on new tires. I found this TireRack article that explains that the TPMS sensor needs to be removed before dismounting the tire completely and also shows the parts in the kit (roughly $10 per wheel). Makes sense I guess. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=152

Last edited by noka; 08-21-2011 at 09:06 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'11 C350 '13 F150 lariat
It doesnt need to be removed. I re-read ur question. If your getting new tires u can just swap tires and thats it, no need to mess with TPMS. They should mount ur tire face down so it clears the TPMS tail and ur good to go. The Orings last a long time without leaking if they are tight
Old 08-22-2011, 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E350 4M Sport
Originally Posted by jimmythegreek
It doesnt need to be removed. I re-read ur question. If your getting new tires u can just swap tires and thats it, no need to mess with TPMS. They should mount ur tire face down so it clears the TPMS tail and ur good to go. The Orings last a long time without leaking if they are tight
Interesting that TireRack says it needs to be removed. I can imagine the methods will vary like the flip of a coin depending on where one would go have the work done.