C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

problems with aftermarket radio install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C350
problems with aftermarket radio install

I really want Navigation, DVD, XM Radio, and a back up camera in my car...I don't have the Comand unit so I figured the easiest way to get these things would be to just install and aftermarket double din touchscreen unit in the factory dash...I have found an aftermarket install kit for a double din radio into the w204...

was wondering what if any problems I'm going to have with doing this besides the steering controls not working...is it going to mess with my dash cluster output or will it just not show up....

I'm going to be installing a JL Audio Amp and JL speakers all around so I have that covered already...

One more thing...what would yall do with the cavity where the factory screen is behind the compartment lid in the dash...

thanks alot fellas
Old 08-19-2011, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
I believe that there are adapters and harnesses available for most popular aftermarket decks that will keep your steering wheel controls. As far as the infotainment screen goes, I really don't know at all. I would think that it is run off of the comand or audio 20 system, but I really am not sure. I would check out the other mercedes model forums (such as clk or w203) where people have definitely done such a retrofit before nad those models have been around a while longer, but still have much of the same functions and parts as our vehicles.

What should you do with the space where the smaller screen is now? Make it a storage compartment. What would be really cool is to install a small induction charging mat in there to charge your phone wirelessly (case is needed).

But I just got a loaner car today with the "NAV+4" installed in conjunction with the audio 20 system. Was actually pretty cool and worked very well, and all factory functions were retained. I don't even think the cost is anything crazy... I would check it out if I were you.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:38 PM

2008 C350
what's this NAV+4...is that like the UMI
Old 08-19-2011, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by Stitches
what's this NAV+4...is that like the UMI
Yeah, I believe that the two terms are interchangeable. Its an aftermarket mercedes part that will give you navigation, bluetooth A2DP audio streaming, lifetime traffic updates and ipod and usb inputs on the 5" audio 20 screen.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
I don't recommend the aftermarket headunit. A member tried one a while back and although he got the input sources, the appearance in the dash was horrible. It just looked out of place. The UMI or Nav+4 will cost you around $1600+ for unit and installation.
This is another option for you:
http://www.navvideo.com/navvideo-mod...0Class#OPTIONS
You still need to add a nav unit,video sources, etc but the cost is much less.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2010 C300 Sport
Agree with jctevere, before destroying the dashboard of your Merc and the resale value of your W204, check out the UMI and the UMI Plus. Keeps everything intact and adds what you mention except of course a touchscreen. Between the media knob and the steering wheel controls you retain, the touchscreen is not necessary. You also retain Bluetooth functionality with the steering wheel convenience.

The JL Audio system you propose can be hooked up directly from the active speaker output from the Audio 20. Although IMO you will get the same sound quality and SPL dB volume using the Infinity Kappas recommended in this well-read thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...r-upgrade.html
Old 08-20-2011, 09:54 AM

2008 C350
I looked at that thread Bill a couple of days and and it's VERY informative. I'm going with a fiberglass enclosure in the trunk. It's going to be in the recess pocket in the drivers side there. Because I need an amp for the sub I figured I'd just get a 5 channel amp and run the front speakers of it as well and also an eq to get everything out of it that I possibly can. My first intentions were to just keep the factory deck and live with it and I had seen the umi but didn't realize it did everything I wanted the deck to do. Now that I know it will, I'll be ordering the umi and installing it. I don't need a touchscreen.

Can I install the umi myself or does the dealer have to do it. And if I can do the install myself where would be the cheapest place online to buy it?

Thanks for all the help fellas. I REALLY didn't want to take out the old and install something aftermaket. I want it to look like the factory did it only better.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
2010 C300 Sport
MB dealer installed my iPod Integration at no charge, so policies vary. If you are planning to keep all the documentation during your ownership of the W204, then having the invoice of a MB-installed UMI will increase its value. Also, if anything goes wrong, the dealer can sort things out, as there are so many things interconnected between systems (such as the volume of the Audio20 being connected to the C's velocity).

As mentioned in the Third Party Speaker thread, my MB dealer even did the Infinity Kappa and subwoofer install. Could have done it myself, but hey I am a busy person, and the dealer did a fantastic job, even rewiring the C300 so that the lighted subwoofer volume control is integrated under the steering column.

However, many like to DIY and "save money". Like the former owner of an exotic V12 I now have, who tried to install an aftermarket alarm. Even after removing the alarm, the windows, door locks and sometimes the ignition is affected, as they are all interconnected. So where did one "save money"? Neither the dealer nor independent services have been able to fix the i$$ue. Just an observation and best of luck!!!
Old 08-20-2011, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
E350 Sport/ML350RWD
My local dealers will not install anything aftermarket and even give me a hard time if it was not purchased from them.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
c350coupe, Gencoupe R-spec
A member named "got_thang" installed a aftermarket double din in his w204 search for his post and you can see some pics and I believe he did a little write up on it, good luck with the project and be sure to take plenty of pics for us all to see
Old 08-21-2011, 12:30 PM

'11 C350 '13 F150 lariat
U can also retrofit the command screen (the flip up) into ur car and get the additional features to work, theres a how to posted up top. Just remember theres alot of little things u need to worry about to get it all to work, or u could just use portions of each interface to customize ur audio install and add inputs or whatever u have in mind with the interface
Old 08-21-2011, 04:31 PM

2008 C350
the more and more I look at it, the more I'm leaning toward doing an Alpine or Pioneer double din with everything in it and the rest of the stereo system JL Audio...I'm already doing the rest of the audio system JL Audio...and for the price that they want for the UMI or the Comand I could buy 2 double dins...lol...

like I said earlier, I already found an install kit for the double din, but if it falls through and isn't what I want, I own a custom upholstery shop...I'll fab something up and it'll look like it came from the factory guarantee it...even the sub in the trunk is going to be fiberglassed into the driver's side recess and molded into the factory side panel and then covered with factory trunk liner...I'm not going to do anything to devalue my car...I only want to start off where MB left off and make the car better...and if for some reason when I sell the car the buyer doesn't want the double din or the sub, it'll all be able to be put back to factory with the factory radio and the factory trunk panel...

but for now, I want better sound, navi, back up camera, dvd, xm, double din screen, and rear entertainment for my children, so that's what I'm gonna do...
Old 08-22-2011, 10:28 AM

'11 C350 '13 F150 lariat
everything u listed is included with the MM unit. I have it and installed the VIM kit and did a full JL system. It is the nicest system Ive had in all my cars
Old 08-22-2011, 01:59 PM

2008 C350
how much is the retrofit for the MM?...