C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

How to use HOLD function in new C class?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic Sport, AMG package
How to use HOLD function in new 2012 C class?

I checked manual, there is a HOLD function in the new 2012 C Class, it allows you to take off your foot from the brake when the car is not running, it's a nice feature when waiting for red light. I tried but didn't figure out how it works, can anyone tell me what trick there is? thank you!

Last edited by imbane; 10-06-2011 at 10:50 AM.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by imbane
I checked manual, there is a HOLD function in the new C Class, it allows you to take off your foot from the break when the car is not running, it's a nice feature when waiting for red light. I tried but didn't figure out how it works, can anyone tell me what trick there is? thank you!
It's a b-r-a-k-e, not a b-r-e-a-k, unless you have broken it.

The car has to be running, or power brakes don't function in this or any car.

It is meant to help prevent rollback on a hill for a second or two while your foot transfers from the brake to the accelerator after standing still with the car running.

It's been around for a while and is on my 2009 model as well.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Sportstick
It's a b-r-a-k-e, not a b-r-e-a-k, unless you have broken it.

The car has to be running, or power brakes don't function in this or any car.

It is meant to help prevent rollback on a hill for a second or two while your foot transfers from the brake to the accelerator after standing still with the car running.

It's been around for a while and is on my 2009 model as well.
No, HOLD function is different with the Hill start assist.

Hill start assist function: When the driver moves his foot from the brake pedal to the accelerator pedal, the brake will automatically delay 0.7-1.0 seconds in order to prevent coasting.

HOLD function: when car is in complete stop after braking, the state will be maintained without need of keeping stepping on the brake pedal by drivers, which can significantly relieve drivers in a traffic jam. This HOLD function will be automatically called off until the brake pedal is stepped on again or the accelerator pedal is stepped on directly.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 AMG edition 1
On my 2010 E class, to engage the HOLD feature, you have to just push the brake pedal down as far as you can while at a stop. It may feel as if your pumping the brakes, but just push it down further than normal once and you"ll see the little HOLD sign come up in the instrument cluster. It works great!
Old 10-04-2011, 05:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'14 ML350 GONE-'12 GL450/'10 E550/'10 ML350/'09 C300/'07 ML350/'03 E320

Hill start assist function: When the driver moves his foot from the brake pedal to the accelerator pedal, the brake will automatically delay 0.7-1.0 seconds in order to prevent coasting.

HOLD function: when car is in complete stop after braking, the state will be maintained without need of keeping stepping on the brake pedal by drivers, which can significantly relieve drivers in a traffic jam. This HOLD function will be automatically called off until the brake pedal is stepped on again or the accelerator pedal is stepped on directly.
agreed with ^...HOLD function was not on my '09 C300... on my E, it's a great feature, good to see the new C's have it too.
The following users liked this post:
crconsulting (10-11-2021)
Old 10-04-2011, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Yea, I will also confirm that "Hold" is different from Hill-start assist, and is new to the c-class lineup in the 2012 model year.

To activate the feature, once stopped, further depress the brake pedal swiftly and firmly and it should activate.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:53 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944

All right. That is perfectly clear so why are you saying you don't understand?

And, hill start assist holds the brakes for 2-3 seconds regardless of what the book says. I use it all the time.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by RLE

And, hill start assist holds the brakes for 2-3 seconds regardless of what the book says. I use it all the time.
I have actually found that Hill start assist will actually hold the vehicle indefinitely if you are on an incline. (Well, not sure about FOREVER, but at least 2 minutes). I have a light by my house on a hill and I always just sit there not holding the brake or anything and stay...
Old 10-04-2011, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by RLE

I stand corrected on the names of two related features. My experience is the same that the hill assist effect lasts, at most, a couple of seconds before releasing.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by jctevere
I have actually found that Hill start assist will actually hold the vehicle indefinitely if you are on an incline. (Well, not sure about FOREVER, but at least 2 minutes). I have a light by my house on a hill and I always just sit there not holding the brake or anything and stay...
Could you be experiencing just the right incline to offset the powertrain in gear at idle pushing forward, to net out to standing still?
Old 10-04-2011, 06:55 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

I stand corrected on the names of two related features. My experience is the same that the hill assist effect lasts, at most, a couple of seconds before releasing.
I think the holding function time varies slightly depending on how far down you have pressed the pedal to activate it but wonder whether the degree of slope has an effect. What we need here is generous Federal Grant to study this. There are some nice hills on Oahu that might work.

MB could easily have included the Hold function in our cars since the Es and Ss had it anyway. More bad product planning. I'm still cursing the deletion of memory seats and mirrors.

Last edited by RLE; 10-04-2011 at 06:57 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by RLE

I think I didn't press the brake pedal hard enough to activate it, I was afraid it's gonna damage the brake if I did so.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:12 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think I didn't press the brake pedal hard enough to activate it, I was afraid it's gonna damage the brake if I did so.
If you think you can damage anything with your foot, I suggest you find, in your manual, the explanation of Brake Assist (BAS) which will put your mind at rest.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
Hold is great. Just press the brake pedal firmly until you see "HOLD" in the cluster. Then it holds the brake for you until you press the accelerator or the brake pedal again.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GLC250 Coupe
ooo is the HOLD function a standard in the new C class?
Old 10-05-2011, 12:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Originally Posted by Kaewen
ooo is the HOLD function a standard in the new C class?
2012 C-class, yes.

Personally, I would not use it. I've had a habbit of using neutral when stopped, hills or flats, and use light brakes. This unloads the torque converter and stops heating the trans oil, especially at long lights and/or hot summer days on radiant tarmac.

Old 10-05-2011, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by kevink2
2012 C-class, yes.

Personally, I would not use it. I've had a habbit of using neutral when stopped, hills or flats, and use light brakes. This unloads the torque converter and stops heating the trans oil, especially at long lights and/or hot summer days on radiant tarmac.

What?? It's the same as manually stepping on the brake pedal, the hold function just allows you to take your foot off the pedal while applying the necessary brake to keep your car stopped...by saying you wouldn't use the Hold feature, you are essentially saying that you do not use your brakes at all...
Old 10-05-2011, 10:30 AM

GLC250 Coupe
lol woohoo... just tried it. and it WORKS.
just a short note that your back brake lights will stay on for the duration of the HOLD function.

Its one of those things that its better to have than not to have....
Old 10-05-2011, 10:39 AM

lol woohoo... just tried it. and it WORKS.
just a short note that your back brake lights will stay on for the duration of the HOLD function.

Its one of those things that its better to have than not to have....
May I know how hard you pressed the brake pedal? I tried this morning but still no luck
Old 10-05-2011, 10:41 AM

GLC250 Coupe
May I know how hard you pressed the brake pedal? I tried this morning but still no luck
pretty hard.. lol..
but if it did not happen he first time, depress a little and try again..

lets say you press 50% for your car to come to a halt..
then press to 80% to activate HOLD function.

if it fails, depress the brake pedal to 30% and press again to 80%.

hope that helps.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:47 AM

pretty hard.. lol..
but if it did not happen he first time, depress a little and try again..

lets say you press 50% for your car to come to a halt..
then press to 80% to activate HOLD function.

if it fails, depress the brake pedal to 30% and press again to 80%.

hope that helps.
Finally I figured out how to engage it, actually after I got it working, I found it's pretty easy. I like it, it's the best feature I've ever had in a car. LOL

thank you!

Last edited by imbane; 10-05-2011 at 08:11 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by park423
What?? It's the same as manually stepping on the brake pedal, the hold function just allows you to take your foot off the pedal while applying the necessary brake to keep your car stopped...by saying you wouldn't use the Hold feature, you are essentially saying that you do not use your brakes at all...
He is actually making a more subtle distinction and driving his automatic similarly to how I manage my manual trans. Use the brakes to stop the car. If on a flat surface, engage Neutral and let the car stand still with no need for brakes. If on an incline, apply just enough brakes to hold the mass of the car, not having to offset the powertrain trying to move the car forward. Shift either the auto (or stick) into gear when ready to move again.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 Mazda6, 1993 RX7
Originally Posted by park423
What?? It's the same as manually stepping on the brake pedal, the hold function just allows you to take your foot off the pedal while applying the necessary brake to keep your car stopped..
Correct !

....by saying you wouldn't use the Hold feature, you are essentially saying that you do not use your brakes at all...
Nope. (not sure how you came to that illogical conclusion)

Read Sportstick's correct response. He described sparing the thrust bearing in the clutch ***'y of his MTX. I'm sparing the trans fluid excess heat in the
ATX.

Old 10-05-2011, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by kevink2
Correct !

Nope. (not sure how you came to that illogical conclusion)

Read Sportstick's correct response. He described sparing the thrust bearing in the clutch ***'y of his MTX. I'm sparing the trans fluid excess heat in the
ATX.

Wait... so for every red stoplight you encounter on a daily basis, you put your car into neutral? Is this a common thing? Does it really "save" your auto transmission? What about the excess shifting from drive to neutral, does that cause any excess wear or heat build-up? Anyway, if it is common, obviously easier to do in a C class with a center console mounted shifter as opposed to the column shifter in the other models.

Anyway, for people who just step on the brake pedal when stopped, the Hold function is great but may need to press it one or two times to engage. Auto transmission fluid heat be damned!
Old 10-05-2011, 10:40 PM

GLC250 Coupe
He is actually making a more subtle distinction and driving his automatic similarly to how I manage my manual trans. Use the brakes to stop the car. If on a flat surface, engage Neutral and let the car stand still with no need for brakes. If on an incline, apply just enough brakes to hold the mass of the car, not having to offset the powertrain trying to move the car forward. Shift either the auto (or stick) into gear when ready to move again.
well said.. though another unofficial and risky use is to check your brake lights or even reverse lights when you engage HOLD and get out of the car... (REPEAT: RISKY) hehehe..

Now i don't have to get my gf to step on this and that when i want to take photos of my car's back lights,,

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: How to use HOLD function in new C class?