C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI
Old 06-15-2015, 07:26 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

SRS Malfunction on '08 C300

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 09:15 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 c300 Sport 4matic
SRS Malfunction on '08 C300

So I bought my first MB a month ago-- a 2008 C300 4mat Sport and love it... but a problem has materialized, seemingly out of thin air. The other day I got a warning message on the dash display:

FRONT LEFT SEAT SRS MALFUNCTION - See Dealer for Service

This message appears shortly after start-up and, at the same time, the red AIR BAG icon appears on the dash. After maybe 10-15 seconds, the message and icon disappear, though sometimes they re-appear later during the drive.

Not sure what to make of this-- is the problem seatbelt-related or airbag related? Maybe there's a sensor in the seatbelt mechanism that's not working correctly?

Is this a serious issue? I certainly don't want to go to the dealer and be charged $600 or $1000 or whatever crazy amount MB feels it can impose for a problem like this.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Originally Posted by amazer98
So I bought my first MB a month ago-- a 2008 C300 4mat Sport and love it... but a problem has materialized, seemingly out of thin air. The other day I got a warning message on the dash display:

This message appears shortly after start-up and, at the same time, the red AIR BAG icon appears on the dash. After maybe 10-15 seconds, the message and icon disappear, though sometimes they re-appear later during the drive.

Not sure what to make of this-- is the problem seatbelt-related or airbag related? Maybe there's a sensor in the seatbelt mechanism that's not working correctly?

Is this a serious issue? I certainly don't want to go to the dealer and be charged $600 or $1000 or whatever crazy amount MB feels it can impose for a problem like this.
Is it serious? SRS is "Supplemental Restraint System", which means the air bag is involved and may not deploy, but the seat belt is considered "primary". We can't guess as to the location of the problem, but the result is potentially life or death. Go to the dealer.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)

ah ha!

I had this same exact problem and message...

took it into the dealer last week, the replaced the drivers seat belt buckle under warranty... I have an '08 as well...

looks like the seat belt buckles locking mechanism wears out after a while and triggers the sensor...

you have the exact same error message and issue I had, I can get you the part number replaced when I go home tonight and check my invoice...
Old 10-10-2011, 07:43 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Buckles

Originally Posted by rb23lb
ah ha!

took it into the dealer last week, the replaced the drivers seat belt buckle under warranty... I have an '08 as well...

looks like the seat belt buckles locking mechanism wears out after a while and triggers the sensor...

you have the exact same error message and issue I had, I can get you the part number replaced when I go home tonight and check my invoice...
The seat belt buckle problem has been going on for more than ten years at Mercedes. Porsche and Audi have had the same problem so you have to wonder why they haven't forced the manufacturer to improve his product.

When the SRS light is on, the system if OFF so get it into the dealer. My C300 hasn't had this particular failure but my '01 C320 had three buckle replacements early in it's life.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:34 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 c300 Sport 4matic
Thanks for the feedback, guys. Since my car is out of warranty, any idea what the fix would (should) be?

Also, how can a buckle wear out? -- it's a hunk of heavy duty metal after all. Or probably you mean the mechanism that it clips into... could that be it?

Anyway, it hopefully won't be too expensive to repair.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Thanks for the feedback, guys. Since my car is out of warranty, any idea what the fix would (should) be?

Also, how can a buckle wear out? -- it's a hunk of heavy duty metal after all. Or probably you mean the mechanism that it clips into... could that be it?

Anyway, it hopefully won't be too expensive to repair.
The car may be out of warranty, so think of it as preventive maintenance.....for you!!.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:30 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by rb23lb
ah ha!

That's not it.

Each buckle contains electrical contacts which tell the SRS controller who doesn't have their belts on. An unbelted occupied seat causes the airbags to deploy at lower speeds and G-forces.

Once again, in my unlamented W203, the driver's buckle was replaced twice and the other front buckle once.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
Originally Posted by RLE
That's not it.

Each buckle contains electrical contacts which tell the SRS controller who doesn't have their belts on. An unbelted occupied seat causes the airbags to deploy at lower speeds and G-forces.

Once again, in my unlamented W203, the driver's buckle was replaced twice and the other front buckle once.
ya I meant that from locking and unlocking so many times, the mechanical action causes something to wear out...

which is the electrical contacts, after reading your post . thanks
Old 10-11-2011, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
I had this same problem in my piece of junk W203. God I hated that car, nothing but problem after problem.
Old 10-12-2011, 01:32 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
09 C350 4Matic
HA!! Looks like it's still going on for the 09 model's as well. Just purchased my first MB, 09 C350 4Matic (Im in Canada) and Ive already had to take it in for the exact same problem.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:25 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
2008 W204
My dad had an 03 S-class with tons of lights on, SRS, Pre-Safe malfunction etc. and when he finally totaled it, everything deployed as it should of. I guess it always ends up being a minor issue that triggers it.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2016 C450 AMG, 2009 C300, 2001 C320 2001 CLK430, 95 E500
same

I just had the same thing start happening this past week. Actually, only happens with the GF drives the car. under warranty, I'll take it in (but only have one car now since somebody just wrecked my jeep last weekend! so that will be a pain)
Old 10-21-2011, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w204
I had the same ting on my 08 a couple months back and I ordered a new buckle from (http://www.mbzwholesaleparts.com/) they are an actual dealership that does online sales and their prices are really good. It is very simple to replace, but you need Torx sockets and drivers, I dont remember the sizes but I just bought the whole Torx set @ Harbor Freight for like 15.00 or something. You move your seat all the way forward to remove the two bolts on the rail, then move your seat all the way backwards and remove the two bolts on the rail. Now you manually pull the seat forward about 5-6 inches then tip the seat onto the rear seats. Now you can access the wiring harness. The connector for the seat belt is yellow and has two pins on the inside, I believe it is the middle connector in the harness array, it is a PITA to deal with. Once that is done snip a couple zip ties and then jump in the back seat from the passenger's side and unbolt the seat belt buckle. Now reverse everything you did and get it back together. The light will still be on, so you need to find a buddy with an OBDii scanner/Star and reset the code. Now you are all done.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 C230 (sold), 1993 300E 2.8 (W124) (sold), 2012 C250 (W204) (sold), 2005 E320 (W211)
Originally Posted by RLE
That's not it.

Do you have more information about this? I meant did the dealer just replaced the seat belt plastic buckle, or does the buckle actually has some sensors in them? Can these sensors sometimes overly sensitive, and when that happen would the car computer record something for the mechanics to diagnose (so that they know it's the buckle that need to be replaced)?? Thanks!
Old 01-13-2012, 04:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 C230 (sold), 1993 300E 2.8 (W124) (sold), 2012 C250 (W204) (sold), 2005 E320 (W211)
Thanks for all these info. This is very helpful. It seems that the problem still exist in 2012 C class (at least happened to ours). Just curious, when car battery is low could it also trigger this SRS malfunction message? How can you "confirm" that it's the buckle that is faulty?? From this picture I can't see there is any electric sensors on the buckle?? Thanks!
Old 01-13-2012, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by chuang
Thanks for all these info. This is very helpful. It seems that the problem still exist in 2012 C class (at least happened to ours). Just curious, when car battery is low could it also trigger this SRS malfunction message? How can you "confirm" that it's the buckle that is faulty?? From this picture I can't see there is any electric sensors on the buckle?? Thanks!
Low battery could potentially trigger an SRS malfunction.
You can confirm it is the buckle by reading the code (mechanic with code reader or dealer)
The wire leading from the seatbelt buckle is clearly visible in that picture. The actual sensor is inside.

Also, when the SRS light is on, the entire SRS system and all airbags are non-functional.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:46 AM

2009 c300 sport
srs light

Originally Posted by huy801
I had the same ting on my 08 a couple months back and I ordered a new buckle from (http://www.mbzwholesaleparts.com/) they are an actual dealership that does online sales and their prices are really good. It is very simple to replace, but you need Torx sockets and drivers, I dont remember the sizes but I just bought the whole Torx set @ Harbor Freight for like 15.00 or something. You move your seat all the way forward to remove the two bolts on the rail, then move your seat all the way backwards and remove the two bolts on the rail. Now you manually pull the seat forward about 5-6 inches then tip the seat onto the rear seats. Now you can access the wiring harness. The connector for the seat belt is yellow and has two pins on the inside, I believe it is the middle connector in the harness array, it is a PITA to deal with. Once that is done snip a couple zip ties and then jump in the back seat from the passenger's side and unbolt the seat belt buckle. Now reverse everything you did and get it back together. The light will still be on, so you need to find a buddy with an OBDii scanner/Star and reset the code. Now you are all done.
what kind of obd2 scanner u used?
Old 09-06-2012, 01:30 PM

w204
Brand of OBDII scanner does not matter, just stop off @ the local checker/krugger/autozone and borrow their scanner to read/reset the code right there in their parking lot.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:50 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Brand of OBDII scanner does not matter, just stop off @ the local checker/krugger/autozone and borrow their scanner to read/reset the code right there in their parking lot.
Also, SRS warning light cannot be extinguished by a restart. It usually takes the dealer laptop to do so. Whether a generic scanner can do it would be good info so don't forget to post your results with it here.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:50 PM

w204
Originally Posted by RLE
Also, SRS warning light cannot be extinguished by a restart. It usually takes the dealer laptop to do so. Whether a generic scanner can do it would be good info so don't forget to post your results with it here.
Not true, the generic one I borrowed from Checker allowed me to reset the code.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:42 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Not true, the generic one I borrowed from Checker allowed me to reset the code.
So the buckle assembly has been replaced or was it a low battery?
Old 09-07-2012, 12:21 AM

w204
Yes, get a replacement, then reset thecode.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:52 AM

2009 c300 sport
ran into the same problem!!...very annoying srs message pops up on dash as soon as i start the car...the passenger airbag light flickers when no one is seating on the passanger seat so i came to the conclusion the cushion sensor is going bad triggering the faulty code...im not gonna buy a new seat for some outrageous price instead went to ebay and got an emulator ($25) that tricks the sensor that the seat is occupied at all times cant go wrong with that..at the same time the seat belt light doesnt light up anymore when i dont wear my seatbelt making me think the buckles are goin out too...anyways those are 45 and easy to replace...now the hard part is to reset the code with the star diagnostic tool i guess ill have to bring it in to a shop to get that done!...
Old 10-30-2012, 04:31 PM

C300
So how much to fix out of warranty?

Anyone know how much this will cost me? The passenger side SRS just went off and my car went out of warranty about two months ago.

How much will this fix cost me more or less if I send it to the dealer?
Old 12-04-2013, 03:26 PM

08 c350
Originally Posted by RLE
My buddy at a mechanic shop let me use his, a Matco brand scanner and it allowed me to reset the airbag light, my srs light came in from unplugging the connectors... Thanks every1 this thread was very informational

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SRS Malfunction on '08 C300