C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

((Offtopic)) Any W204 owners watch fans also?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 11:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E550 4Matic
Originally Posted by aowhaus
I have an older Tag Heuer Link series automatic. What I wear most of the time is my Bell & Ross BR03-92 Limited Edition (gray on black). The coolest watch I have would be my LunaTik iPod nano watch:

I get compliments and looks all the time.

I love the look of Panerai, but they are huge and I have small wrists.
I really want a Bell and Ross but my wrists are TINY! and i love the iPod nano one, im debating getting one just for the fun of it
Old 11-03-2011, 10:13 PM

2012 E350 4-matic SPORT
Originally Posted by Ron Jr
I gave up my carry permit 22 years ago when I sold off all my firearms except the SPAS 12 hidden in the closet. My Wife is antigun and wouldn't marry me if I kept them (she DOES NOT know about the SPAS). Had a bog standard Colt 1911 as my daily carry but for extreme fun I had an 8" barrell .44 Automag actually sold that for much more than I paid.

SPAS 12 is a heck of a beast. i wish i had one. lol i remember when i first bought my .45 my wife would not let me in the house for hours.
i've had my carry permit for some years now. Although I do have to say weapons are not for everyone. You need to have an understanding of how the weapon works, You need to respect it most definitely and you need to be a responsible citizen to even own one at home let alone have a carry permit.

Last edited by dgghostkilla; 11-03-2011 at 11:52 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C300 Sport Black Darth V3.0
Originally Posted by dgghostkilla
SPAS 12 is a heck of a beast. i wish i had one. lol i remember when i fight bought my .45 my wife would not let me in the house for hours.
i've had my carry permit for some years now. Although I do have to say weapons are not for everyone. You need to have an understanding of how the weapon works, You need to respect it most definitely and you need to be a responsible citizen to even own one at home let alone have a carry permit.
Agree 100% I was raised with hand guns in the house, my Father always carried even to church. He taught us how to respect the firearms he owned and when we got older he taught us to shoot first with a .22 Ruger he had then all the way up to the 1911 he carried (like Father Like Son). I respect my Wifes concern about having weapons in the house but you have to have something for home defense. And yes the SPAS is not loaded. Ther are plenty 12 gauge shells hidden around the house.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C300 Sport 4matic
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
I really want a Bell and Ross but my wrists are TINY! and i love the iPod nano one, im debating getting one just for the fun of it
Actually my iPod LunaTik is exactly the same size as my Bell & Ross BR03.
I have small wrists too and the BR03 is the smaller version of the BR01 (42mm vs. 46mm). The BR01 looks absolutely rediculously huge on me.

Typical Panerai watches measure a whopping 50mm.

Maybe I should start working out -- what kind of exercises I could do to get buffed wrists?
Old 11-03-2011, 11:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have small wrists too and the BR03 is the smaller version of the BR01 (42mm vs. 46mm). The BR01 looks absolutely rediculously huge on me.

Maybe I should start working out -- what kind of exercises I could do to get buffed wrists?
Lots of beer, no wait thats for gut. LOL.

Wearing the chrono version right now.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:24 PM

2011 E550 4Matic

heh well my Cartier is like a 32 i think.....much more proportional to me :0
Old 11-03-2011, 11:56 PM

2012 E350 4-matic SPORT
my Carbine is unloaded and cabled locked so even if someone found the round they could not load them. my hand gun are also unloaded. I keep the loaded magazines separated from the weapons.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:12 AM

2014 GLK350
Originally Posted by Ron Jr
Agree if I need very accurate timekeeping I would use either an atomic or a superquartz. But it isn't all about timekeeping, there have been times when I had not worn the same watch two days in a row for months so they would be set using my Atomic desk clock. To me it is the quality of workmanship in a fine mechanical watch. How could you not love this. Heat blued screws and swan neck regulator. The Unitas was worked over by Saphod the same people who tune Panerais

I love sterile dials sort of like debadging a car.
what brand/model is that second watch sir?
Old 11-04-2011, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

They are the same watch. The PRS-20 LE from Timefactors. Only 100 were made and sold out a long time ago. The Non LE is available according to the site. You will have to scroll down a little bit to find the black dial version the full lume dial is the very first watch. Eddies service is the best I have ever encountered. I cannot recommend him or his watches enough.

http://timefactors.com/precista.htm
Old 11-04-2011, 06:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
Exclamation My omega seamaster planet ocean chrono (CHINESE EDITION)

$75 shipped! looks even better in person

Looks almost exact and I am very happy with paying a fraction of the cost for this "replica" of this $6500 watch:

http://www.amazon.com/Omega-2218-50-...sbs_watch_t1_4

Last edited by rb23lb; 11-04-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 BMW X3M Comp
Originally Posted by Sportstick
When I need correct time-keeping, I wear one of a few Casio Solar Atomic watches fed by the radio signal from the U.S. Atomic Clock...always correct, never need batteries. When time needs are more relaxed, my Rolex looks fine, and provides a reasonable approximation of the time, which experience and Rolex repair have shown is the corporate standard. Like a sorry Jaguar owner of years past, never another Rolex!
You have one Rolex that may or may not be out of spec and you bash the entire brand? I will guarantee you that Rolex service is more occupied with regular service of watches than repairs.

No mechanical movement is going to be as accurate as a quartz. That includes the very best watches in the world. COSC specs on are -4/+6 second per day. If you watch is within that range, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 BMW X3M Comp

I think you're confusing Panerai with other brands like Invicta or Nixon. THe largest production model is 47mm Radiomir which wears smaller that he largest Luminor at 44mm. There have been limited production models up to 60mm but I doubt you've ever seen one since they're all in private collections
Old 11-13-2011, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 BMW X3M Comp
Here's is my modest core collection. I have added another Breitling Chronomat, PAM 125 and a vintage Submariner that are being serviced.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 BMW X3M Comp
Serious question here from, clearly, a low-information non-collector....

Aside from timekeeping accuracy, what makes a watch "best in the world"?
1) Reliablility - A mechanical watch's ability to handle extreme conditions and remain within the designed specs
2) Complications - Adding additional functions to a mechanical movement. date, chronograph, moon phase, perpetual calendar or even a tourbillion. Not every manufacturer is capable of adding such complications
3) Manufacturing process - machine made or hand made movement can make a huge difference in cost, availability and reputation.
Old 11-13-2011, 02:47 PM

2011 E550 4Matic
Originally Posted by NY C32
Here's is my modest core collection. I have added another Breitling Chronomat, PAM 125 and a vintage Submariner that are being serviced.

Love the Pasha and the Daytona!
Old 11-13-2011, 03:22 PM

C350 Saks Fifth Avenue Edition
Im a huge raymond weil fan. Got my first freelancer last year. I hope to own a patek someday. charlie sheen sh*t.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
You have one Rolex that may or may not be out of spec and you bash the entire brand? I will guarantee you that Rolex service is more occupied with regular service of watches than repairs.

No mechanical movement is going to be as accurate as a quartz. That includes the very best watches in the world. COSC specs on are -4/+6 second per day. If you watch is within that range, there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.
I did not come easily to this conclusion and don't make rash judgements. As I learned standing in the Rolex headquarters on 5th Avenue in Manhattan, my watch is within their spec, as is my wife's, which also keeps "approximate" time. My watch has been delivered to that location on more than one occasion before I gave up. The issue is that their spec is not as precise as I expect a watch to be, based on competitive capabilities. Rolex will admit to the variation of several minutes a month which occurs with both watches, which they deem normal, and with which you seem to agree. They defend themselves by pointing to heritage, design, etc., none of which impresses me if the watch is not accurate. Excusing this much error recalls the history of some domestic automobiles which claimed nothing was wrong with their cars with varying gaps in the body sheet metal. "They are all like that", was the refrain. That was "normal" too at the time. Your own comment relegates mechanical movements to an inferior position, as timekeeping is their primary reason for existence. By definition, they cannot be among the "best". However, I have gone past quartz to watches which receive the signals from the US Atomic clock. Those are accurate watches...as for the rest, might as well be considered artwork for a museum, but inferior timepieces. I wear Casios when time matters....Rolex is the "beater" watch for vacations.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
1) Reliablility - A mechanical watch's ability to handle extreme conditions and remain within the designed specs
2) Complications - Adding additional functions to a mechanical movement. date, chronograph, moon phase, perpetual calendar or even a tourbillion. Not every manufacturer is capable of adding such complications
3) Manufacturing process - machine made or hand made movement can make a huge difference in cost, availability and reputation.
I appreciate that answer...thank you.

My issue is that the spec which was once acceptable has been rendered obsolete and inadequate by others who now achieve higher accuracy. I am proportionately less impressed with characteristics #2 and #3, if #1 is not best in class. This is not the first time the Asians have raised the bar for the Europeans on quality issues, as many who hang out around here know. But, again, thank you as a clear watch enthusiast, for sharing your thoughts with me, who is not. You have helped me learn what is so interesting and appealing to many of you, even if not to me.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 BMW X3M Comp
I did not come easily to this conclusion and don't make rash judgements. As I learned standing in the Rolex headquarters on 5th Avenue in Manhattan, my watch is within their spec, as is my wife's, which also keeps "approximate" time. My watch has been delivered to that location on more than one occasion before I gave up. The issue is that their spec is not as precise as I expect a watch to be, based on competitive capabilities. Rolex will admit to the variation of several minutes a month which occurs with both watches, which they deem normal, and with which you seem to agree. They defend themselves by pointing to heritage, design, etc., none of which impresses me if the watch is not accurate. Excusing this much error recalls the history of some domestic automobiles which claimed nothing was wrong with their cars with varying gaps in the body sheet metal. "They are all like that", was the refrain. That was "normal" too at the time. Your own comment relegates mechanical movements to an inferior position, as timekeeping is their primary reason for existence. By definition, they cannot be among the "best". However, I have gone past quartz to watches which receive the signals from the US Atomic clock. Those are accurate watches...as for the rest, might as well be considered artwork for a museum, but inferior timepieces. I wear Casios when time matters....Rolex is the "beater" watch for vacations.
Perhaps you should've learned about watches before expecting the unreasonable. Rolex, or any other mechanical movement, has never ever claimed to be more accurate than a quartz. Mechanical watches were around centuries before the first quartz movement was invented. A watch that depends on a small wound spring for power is susceptible to all kinds of atmospheric conditions that effect its accuracy. Gravity, temperature, etc.

A quartz movement is still not perfect. At body temp, its off +/- .5 seconds per day. Your atomic watch is still a quartz. It relies on periodic atomic synchronization but if you think its constantly recalibrating, your sadly mistaken. But if you want to split hairs, the US atomic clock is not 100% accurate either so your atomic watch is also an approximation of time. The Caesium Fountain Clock in the UK is but your Casio won't be able to get that signal here.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 BMW X3M Comp
I appreciate that answer...thank you.

My issue is that the spec which was once acceptable has been rendered obsolete and inadequate by others who now achieve higher accuracy. I am proportionately less impressed with characteristics #2 and #3, if #1 is not best in class. This is not the first time the Asians have raised the bar for the Europeans on quality issues, as many who hang out around here know. But, again, thank you as a clear watch enthusiast, for sharing your thoughts with me, who is not. You have helped me learn what is so interesting and appealing to many of you, even if not to me.
Nobody needs a watch. Everywhere you look, the time is flashing somewhere: Mobile phone, cable box, stove, microwave, in your car, etc. There is no reason for a watch at all. People buy high end time pieces for the artistry and mechanical marvel of highly complex movements.

I can find a Yamaha keyboard that sounds as good, if not better than a $25000 Steinway grand piano. I don't think Steinway is missing anyone that chooses to go the cheaper route. I don't think Rolex is missing those who choose Casio watches. They are two different demographics.

Last edited by NY C32; 11-15-2011 at 02:23 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:09 PM

C350
First one for my collection.. Juz bought it yesterday...
Attached Thumbnails ((Offtopic)) Any W204 owners watch fans also?-img_1235.jpg   ((Offtopic)) Any W204 owners watch fans also?-img_1242.jpg  
Old 01-07-2012, 10:51 PM

10 Tahoe LT, 07 Silverado Z71, 99 BMW R1100RT
I've always been a fan of nice watches (Breiling, Rolex, TAG etc.). Friend of mine being a Rolex service guy and now running one of their shops in PA definitely hasn't helped me stopping craving one!

I wear a watch all the time (working on cars, yardwork, working out etc. etc.), therefore I have never been able to justify spending $1000+ (and then some!!!), on one and have it possible damaged, scratched, nicked etc.

I'm also not a big fan of spending a lot one one, or multiple ones, to just keep them in a box, drawer or something. I'll buy my watches so that I can wear them.

Maybe once both kids are through college in a few years I'll be able to justify splurging on one. Or two. Or three...
Old 01-07-2012, 11:25 PM

C350 Saks Fifth Avenue Edition
Raymond Weils are a great value
Old 01-08-2012, 12:31 PM

2011 c300 4matic
i know this not compare to any of your preferred brand of watch, but heres one of my favorites:

Luminox
Old 01-08-2012, 02:11 PM

2013 GLK 350 4M (Iridium Silver), 2010 E350 Coupe (Iridium Silver)
Picked up a Citizen Eco Drive E820 over the weekend... Paid 40% off retail. End cost $240.

Not exactly an Omega, and I do need to pick up a slightly smaller band for my pterodactyl wrists, but for that price it seemed to be a good buy.

The next watch on my eye is this green Swiss Army Victorinox "Infantry (if i remember correctly)... Comes in a his and hers and I can't just get one for myself... nor do I want to spend over $1000 on both so... it will have to wait.

Anyone have any experiences with a victorinox?

Last edited by dcjwlee; 01-08-2012 at 02:16 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ((Offtopic)) Any W204 owners watch fans also?