C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Discussion - R1 Concepts rotors. Issue resolved to the satisfaction of all

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C350/'08 w204
Discussion - R1 Concepts rotors. Issue resolved to the satisfaction of all

Just a heads-up for those of you looking to replace your stock rotors with a drilled/slotted version.

I ordered a front set of drilled/slotted from R1's ebay postings. The price-point was good and I am a commuter, so I was really just looking for aesthetics and functionality.....not race-worthy Brembo, etc. Anyway, I ordered my rotors on a Sunday, November 6th. I then received a call on Thursday from a sales associate saying that they cannot drill my rotors because they will hit a vein. Understandable, but why are they calling me on Thursday? What happened to Tuesday or Wednesday. Well, I got over it and they dimpled the rotors instead of drilling them. Received the package later the next week and found that the USPS flat-rate box holding 48 lbs is destroyed and missing a rotor. The one that did arrive was losing its silver-zinc coating to chips.

I will say that R1 did finally get the rotors to me on Friday, November 18th, but what troubles me is that they still have not pulled the posting for drilled/slotted rotors that fit an '08 C350. Just feeling like they have some shady business practices.

On a better note, the rotors have all but stopped the vibration from my steering and they have preformed very well for a causal driver that doesn't mind splitting traffic every now and then. I'll still be using them for my back rotors, but mainly just to keep uniformity on the car. I don't anticipate a great service encounter.
Attached Thumbnails Discussion - R1 Concepts rotors. Issue resolved to the satisfaction of all-photo-1-1-.jpg  
Old 11-21-2011, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
C63
Wow thanks for the heads up on this. This is where mb world and other forums really come into play.
Old 11-21-2011, 03:26 PM

Saab 900 SE
The front rotors on our cars are cross drilled, what particular reason where you attracted to these ebay rotors?

If it stopped vibration then I assume, an OEM replacement would have done the same since you said new rotors stopped the vib

I personally wouldnt put ebay rotors on my car not am i suprised that you had issues, as the old addage goes, you get what you pay for.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:15 PM

C350/'08 w204
Originally Posted by AdidasC230
The front rotors on our cars are cross drilled, what particular reason where you attracted to these ebay rotors?

If it stopped vibration then I assume, an OEM replacement would have done the same since you said new rotors stopped the vib

I personally wouldnt put ebay rotors on my car not am i suprised that you had issues, as the old addage goes, you get what you pay for.
Not really sure what you're asking. These rotors were sold to me as "cross"-drilled and slotted. It wasn't until after the fact that I ended up with dimpled rotors. R1 makes a damn good rotor and they weren't cheap. In fact, they were +$30/ea on OEM replacements. I think you must have missed my point. The business sucked, not the product. Btw, you can buy OEM rotors on Ebay....would you put those on your car?
Old 11-22-2011, 01:40 AM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Originally Posted by Eickecc
Not really sure what you're asking. These rotors were sold to me as "cross"-drilled and slotted. It wasn't until after the fact that I ended up with dimpled rotors. R1 makes a damn good rotor and they weren't cheap. In fact, they were +$30/ea on OEM replacements. I think you must have missed my point. The business sucked, not the product. Btw, you can buy OEM rotors on Ebay....would you put those on your car?
Drilling stock rotors will crack. Real "drilled" ones are cast-in holes.
Old 11-22-2011, 11:25 AM

C350/'08 w204
Originally Posted by RLE
Drilling stock rotors will crack. Real "drilled" ones are cast-in holes.
Who's drilling stock rotors?
Old 11-22-2011, 05:40 PM

Saab 900 SE
I was under the assumtion you got them for 45 for the whole thing.

No I wouldnt buy OEM parts from ebay makes me wonder why they where being sold there and not from a reputable parts place or the manfact..

I was assuming you where complaining about the product. How was there service bad? Simply because the box you had was a wreck and it wasnt drilled or dimpled on the day you expected? Was there a statement of a promised time on them? Or did you assume the dates?
Old 11-22-2011, 05:56 PM

C350/'08 w204
I was under the assumtion you got them for 45 for the whole thing.

No I wouldnt buy OEM parts from ebay makes me wonder why they where being sold there and not from a reputable parts place or the manfact..

I was assuming you where complaining about the product. How was there service bad? Simply because the box you had was a wreck and it wasnt drilled or dimpled on the day you expected? Was there a statement of a promised time on them? Or did you assume the dates?
Yeah...you where doing a lot of assuming, huh? Why were you assuming I paid $45? Anyway, I'm fine buying from Ebay...questioning their credibility is kinda funny. Not to mention, quality drilled and slotted rotors for the W204 are somewhat difficult to find on the internet...where I've done my shopping since the 90s....

"*Ships within 24 - 48 Hours - Brake parts are shipped within 24 - 48hrs when payment is received before 5pm PST Monday - Friday (excludes Holidays) . We do not process orders or ship on the weekends. Payments received after 5pm PST, on the weekends or holidays will be processed on the following business day and will be shipped within 24 - 48 hours."

I'll explain this for you to avoid any further assumption. I bought on Sunday. According to the company (read above), my rotors should have SHIPPED within 48 hours of Monday. When I received a call from them at 7:00 pm Thursday night, they hadn't even produced them yet which meant they would ship Friday at the earliest. Still with me? + Poor packaging. It is their company that packages their product = bad business.

Last edited by Eickecc; 11-22-2011 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C350 Sport
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience, good news is you received a good product, bad news is you were all giddy and wanting to get these on the car and had to wait...I put drilled R-1 rotors on my CTS and they perform excellent...better to have the wait and get the performance, than get them quick and provide poor performance right? Maybe your complaint should be with USPS as well?
Old 11-22-2011, 08:03 PM

C350/'08 w204
Originally Posted by Scat01
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience, good news is you received a good product, bad news is you were all giddy and wanting to get these on the car and had to wait...I put drilled R-1 rotors on my CTS and they perform excellent...better to have the wait and get the performance, than get them quick and provide poor performance right? Maybe your complaint should be with USPS as well?
Yep...exactly. I was giddy and a bit disappointed when the shipment was delayed. Prob should throw some blame at the USPS, but I would never consciously put 50 lbs in a flat rate....next time you see one of these boxes, feel the sides...weak.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:09 AM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Who's drilling stock rotors?
You posted:

"I then received a call on Thursday from a sales associate saying that they cannot drill my rotors because they will hit a vein."

Which means the outfit you are dealing with is drilling them. With what, I wonder? A 3/8 drill motor?
Old 11-23-2011, 01:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
I’ve had good luck with USPS’s flat-rate boxes. Never shipped ~48 pounds of cast iron in one of ‘em though. :slap:

MB’s OE-supplier (Balo and Zimmermann) replacement rotors are surprisingly affordable when sourced from reputable vendors.
Skimping on brake hardware is false economy IMHO.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:38 AM

C300 Sport 6MT
Originally Posted by splinter
MB’s OE-supplier (Balo and Zimmermann) replacement rotors are surprisingly affordable when sourced from reputable vendors.
Couldn't agree more. My local import parts store has Zimmermans for $88/rotor, which is only $10 more than what I see available from R1 and others. That's what I'll go with come spring. I'm hoping my favorite pads (Axxis/PBR Ult) will come out by then. Otherwise, I'll prob go with Yellow Stuff.
OP, do update us as to how the rotors perform and hold up after you've put some miles on 'em. Thx.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:53 AM

C350/'08 w204
Originally Posted by RLE
You posted:

"I then received a call on Thursday from a sales associate saying that they cannot drill my rotors because they will hit a vein."

Which means the outfit you are dealing with is drilling them. With what, I wonder? A 3/8 drill motor?
Oh...I see the confusion, but these aren't stock rotors. Also, cross-drilled rotors are drilled with a press (hence the name)...it would be impossible to cast these holes in the rotor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUanInZmAWI
Old 11-23-2011, 11:58 AM

C350/'08 w204
Originally Posted by Doanster
Couldn't agree more. My local import parts store has Zimmermans for $88/rotor, which is only $10 more than what I see available from R1 and others. That's what I'll go with come spring. I'm hoping my favorite pads (Axxis/PBR Ult) will come out by then. Otherwise, I'll prob go with Yellow Stuff.
OP, do update us as to how the rotors perform and hold up after you've put some miles on 'em. Thx.
Go with the EBC pads....I used Red Stuff, best pad I've had thus far. Again though, I understand that R1 is not an established name, but these are very well made. I could tell just by holding it and the silver-zinc coating is good for corrosion. I'll keep you guys informed....
Old 11-23-2011, 06:15 PM

Saab 900 SE
Yeah...you where doing a lot of assuming, huh? Why were you assuming I paid $45? Anyway, I'm fine buying from Ebay...questioning their credibility is kinda funny. Not to mention, quality drilled and slotted rotors for the W204 are somewhat difficult to find on the internet...where I've done my shopping since the 90s....

"*Ships within 24 - 48 Hours - Brake parts are shipped within 24 - 48hrs when payment is received before 5pm PST Monday - Friday (excludes Holidays) . We do not process orders or ship on the weekends. Payments received after 5pm PST, on the weekends or holidays will be processed on the following business day and will be shipped within 24 - 48 hours."

I'll explain this for you to avoid any further assumption. I bought on Sunday. According to the company (read above), my rotors should have SHIPPED within 48 hours of Monday. When I received a call from them at 7:00 pm Thursday night, they hadn't even produced them yet which meant they would ship Friday at the earliest. Still with me? + Poor packaging. It is their company that packages their product = bad business.
Sorry I run numbers all day saw the 48 mind converted to 45 didnt really re read your post.

I understand your frustraition, however I asked simply because as a few others pointed out OE providers are found online and was wondering why you didnt stick with them. I understand you wanted cross drilled AND slotted, but do you track your car where it would help? It might just be easier next time to avoid the company, plus did they not remedy the issue by resending you fixed items? Sometimes stuff happens, I dunno if Id consider it a reason to not order something from them because a mistake happend or to take your complaint on here, when it looks like they offered to remedy your problem. Plus if you where upset they couldnt drill and only dimple them, why didnt you simply cancel the order then and there? where all human, we all make mistakes.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:02 PM

C350/'08 w204
Sorry I run numbers all day saw the 48 mind converted to 45 didnt really re read your post.

I understand your frustraition, however I asked simply because as a few others pointed out OE providers are found online and was wondering why you didnt stick with them. I understand you wanted cross drilled AND slotted, but do you track your car where it would help? It might just be easier next time to avoid the company, plus did they not remedy the issue by resending you fixed items? Sometimes stuff happens, I dunno if Id consider it a reason to not order something from them because a mistake happend or to take your complaint on here, when it looks like they offered to remedy your problem. Plus if you where upset they couldnt drill and only dimple them, why didnt you simply cancel the order then and there? where all human, we all make mistakes.

Look, my frustration is with postings from people who haven't read the OP. My original post states why I wanted that type of rotor ("aesthetics and functionality").

Also, in my OP I said that I would be using them again ("I'll still be using them for my back rotors, but mainly just to keep uniformity on the car. I don't anticipate a great service encounter").

As for saying I was upset about them not being able to drill the rotor, that never occured either ("Understandable, but why are they calling me on Thursday?").

If you have this much time to argue, could you just go read the post? Now that I've answered all of your questions, again....give it a rest. Please. This thread is for informational purposes only...about the service of a company. Get off of it. And while you're at it, take a look at the first response: "Wow thanks for the heads up on this. This is where mb world and other forums really come into play." That's what this is for sharing info, not for you to erroniously pick apart my words. Nothing you've said make any sense to this thread. And as far as my credibility in judging business transaction, I have an MBA. I can do that.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:58 AM

Saab 900 SE
Look, my frustration is with postings from people who haven't read the OP. My original post states why I wanted that type of rotor ("aesthetics and functionality").

Also, in my OP I said that I would be using them again ("I'll still be using them for my back rotors, but mainly just to keep uniformity on the car. I don't anticipate a great service encounter").

As for saying I was upset about them not being able to drill the rotor, that never occured either ("Understandable, but why are they calling me on Thursday?").

If you have this much time to argue, could you just go read the post? Now that I've answered all of your questions, again....give it a rest. Please. This thread is for informational purposes only...about the service of a company. Get off of it. And while you're at it, take a look at the first response: "Wow thanks for the heads up on this. This is where mb world and other forums really come into play." That's what this is for sharing info, not for you to erroniously pick apart my words. Nothing you've said make any sense to this thread. And as far as my credibility in judging business transaction, I have an MBA. I can do that.
Ok you have a MBA and that qualifies everything you say?

I was simply asking questions, YOUR taking offense to the questions I asked, and no, not every thing I asked was answered in your 1st post I mast a Doctorate of masters of ice cream making..Im qualified to say whatever I want on earth
Old 11-24-2011, 04:31 PM

2010 C300

I was simply asking questions, YOUR taking offense to the questions I asked, and no, not every thing I asked was answered in your 1st post I mast a Doctorate of masters of ice cream making..Im qualified to say whatever I want on earth
You're.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:49 AM

C350/'08 w204

YOU'RE funny. Apparently, I'm not the only one who thanks YOU'RE a pest....

this is how C300kid feels about you
Located here: https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ml#post4927279
"If you dont care, why do you bother coming here? You diss others for no reason. What's your deal, seriously? Are you that in need of attention? I can definitely be cool with you if you decide to act normal and not like some weird crazy person. Also, you can't really say you don't care what everyone here thinks when you so obviously do as evidenced by the C350 hoax you pulled."

Ha...I'm on to you....and you insecurities, Mr. Ice Cream. By the way, what is a doctorate of masters? You should start with your GED.

Last edited by Eickecc; 11-25-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 87 Likes on 60 Posts
2024 GLS450
YOU'RE funny. Apparently, I'm not the only one who thanks YOU'RE a pest....
There are a lot of us here...
Old 11-25-2011, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
An incoherent pest
Old 11-29-2011, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 CLK350 -SOLD! 2010 Cadillac SRX Premium Turbo
Just curious to the cost difference between the eBay site and R1's site?

Are they two separate businesses?

I would like to think that spending 400+ on fronts and rears, the packaging would be more substantial.

Especially if I'm paying for it.
Old 11-29-2011, 01:18 PM

C350/'08 w204
Originally Posted by Mka77
Just curious to the cost difference between the eBay site and R1's site?

Are they two separate businesses?

I would like to think that spending 400+ on fronts and rears, the packaging would be more substantial.

Especially if I'm paying for it.

Right. Well, the company is the same. However, the R1 website on only offers they're premium line. To get the "E-Line" series, I think you have to use ebay. Also, right now they are doing 20% off everything, even on Ebay. Couldn't tell you if the pkging will be better, but I will say that the rotors are well worth the price after a week or so. I ordered the rears a couple days back.

Let me know if you decide to go with them and I'll give you all the details....
Old 11-29-2011, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 CLK350 -SOLD! 2010 Cadillac SRX Premium Turbo
Just got off the phone with them. Ordered F-R premium drilled and slotted. What a deal.

While on the phone with them, I told them about the damage during shipping I had seen on this forum.

I told them I wanted UPS shipping and NOT USPS. They said fine. All is good.

I will let you know how it all turns out. Thanks for the heads up on the 20% off.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Discussion - R1 Concepts rotors. Issue resolved to the satisfaction of all