C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Gentle Warning - Service your 722.9 Transmission every 39K miles 60K Km's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 08:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C350 Sport
Originally Posted by oldhook
scat01, do you mind sharing the items that they mention in your invoice after your trans service tmrw??appreciate your help.

Thanks.
-Reddy.

Sure will, that is the plan - I hope it is seamless, I mean after basically walking them through the process via the documents provided by the gents on this forum, I am going to "break something" if it does not go as I expect at this point...stay tuned.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:51 PM

2013 GLK 350 4M (Iridium Silver), 2010 E350 Coupe (Iridium Silver)
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
I can't believe these @ss---- dealers. You don't have to pull the transmission to change the converter. There is a rubber plug in the bellhousing. You remove it, rotate the engine until the TC plug lines up. You undo the plug & drain the converter.

The converter MUST be drained. It holds 4 litres of oil - nearly half the charge. Just insist they do it. Take the latest WIS method from Johnands service thread in the stickies & tell them to follow it EXACTLY.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:31 PM

2008 C350 Sport
****** SUCCESS ******

Transmission Service completed as requested...Knowledge is Power.

I will not be able to explain how the cost is lower than initially estimated, as I paid the invoice and left in a very good mood (imagine leaving a dealer after service in a good mood?) I was charged for 1.5 hours total of service, initial conversation included 2.0 for base service and .5 for the "extra" torque converter drain/clean up. Is it possible they valued the information provided to them and cut me slack? Cannot think what else it could be? I was there 3 hours btw from the time I drove in, walked through process/paperwork again, and then waited for car to be finished.

Initial quote for the "base" transmission service was $359.

Invoice description:
722.9 transmission service, client request to have torque converter drained as well as pan bolts to be replaced per LI 27-02 Transmission service.

29 CP 1.5....................187.50
1 Gasket.......................15.00
1 Oil Filter.....................32.00
6 Screw @ 1.40...............8.40
1 Ring, general.................1.40
8 Mobile ATF 13 @ 7.75....62.00
1 CLN/Sol........................4.75
1 Screw plug...................3.90
1 CLN/Solv......................4.75

Labor............................187.50
Parts............................132.20
Sales Tax........................22.38
Total.............................342.08

Thanks again to all who helped educate me on this - I feel very good about how this was performed. The Service Manager also re-informed me that my initial warranty runs out February 24th and to look the car over real good for anything that may be covered, any ideas on anything that is common? CPO warranty is good through 2/2013 and is now extendable for an additional 2 years/36k miles..hmmm.

I do realize the cleaner/solvent is on the invoice twice, not sure if they used 2 or not - did not really care based on everything else.

Last edited by Scat01; 01-26-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 Volvo XC70; 2012 GLK 350 4matic
Thank you so much! Perfect info. for when I need the service in a couple of years.

Wayne
Old 01-26-2012, 02:46 PM

'08 C300 4Matic Sport, '02 530i
Originally Posted by Scat01
Damn, that's cheap. My dealer charges $17.50 per liter of this stuff.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c300
Thank you very much. I am going to take this blindly to princetonMB and get my trans service done in the next couple of months.

Thanks again.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:25 PM

****** SUCCESS ******

Transmission Service completed as requested...Knowledge is Power.

I will not be able to explain how the cost is lower than initially estimated, as I paid the invoice and left in a very good mood (imagine leaving a dealer after service in a good mood?) I was charged for 1.5 hours total of service, initial conversation included 2.0 for base service and .5 for the "extra" torque converter drain/clean up. Is it possible they valued the information provided to them and cut me slack? Cannot think what else it could be? I was there 3 hours btw from the time I drove in, walked through process/paperwork again, and then waited for car to be finished.

Initial quote for the "base" transmission service was $359.

Invoice description:
722.9 transmission service, client request to have torque converter drained as well as pan bolts to be replaced per LI 27-02 Transmission service.

29 CP 1.5....................187.50
1 Gasket.......................15.00
1 Oil Filter.....................32.00
6 Screw @ 1.40...............8.40
1 Ring, general.................1.40
1 CLN/Sol........................4.75
1 Screw plug...................3.90
1 CLN/Solv......................4.75

Labor............................187.50
Parts............................132.20
Sales Tax........................22.38
Total.............................342.08

Thanks again to all who helped educate me on this - I feel very good about how this was performed. The Service Manager also re-informed me that my initial warranty runs out February 24th and to look the car over real good for anything that may be covered, any ideas on anything that is common? CPO warranty is good through 2/2013 and is now extendable for an additional 2 years/36k miles..hmmm.

I do realize the cleaner/solvent is on the invoice twice, not sure if they used 2 or not - did not really care based on everything else.

Most of my time spent on this forum is time wasted (not in a bad way, but sometimes I get drawn into reading post after post).

This thread, however, is valuable stuff!

I should check my invoice to see how many quarts they used then they did my fluid change... and if any pan bolts were replaced.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I was at a respected Houston dealer today. I asked about the transmission service. There were 4 S.A.s Sitting in front of me. I heard 2 prices: $500 & $600. I asked if that included draining the torque converter? They suck out all of the fluid from the top. It takes 9 quarts of fluid. Yes the TC is changed.
Is it possible to remove the fluid with a pump like an oil change?

Wayne
Old 02-15-2012, 06:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
They are talking crap. The 722.9 has no dipstick tube. All fluid changing & level setting is from beneath. They have to drop the pan to change the filter & they have to drain the converter by removing it's drain plug.

US dealers are really **** poor!
Old 02-15-2012, 08:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cool

They are talking crap. The 722.9 has no dipstick tube. All fluid changing & level setting is from beneath. They have to drop the pan to change the filter & they have to drain the converter by removing it's drain plug.

Thanks Glyn. I don't know much, but what they were saying sounded bogus. I will go prepared with educational materials.

Wayne
Old 02-15-2012, 02:13 PM

2005 MB C230K Sport Sedan & 2011 MB C300
Lots of good information in this thread. My mom just picked up a 2011 C300 with only 12,000 miles on it. I think that I'll print the documents in johand's thread and bring them to the dealer when the tranny service comes due.

Anyone have any recommendations on how to approach the dealers with this information?

One would think that if the customer specifically stated that he or she wanted the transmission service performed EXACTLY how it is listed in the pdf's provided in johand's thread, the service advisor or technician may interpret that as "who the heck is this guy trying to tell me how to do my job?"

I'm use to working on my own car, sometimes time doesnt allow that. So when it's in someone else's hands my firm attitude (which sometimes gets interpreted as d-bag ish) comes out.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:33 PM

+1. Some of the crap that comes out of their mouths is really jaw dropping to hear... Especially the SA's. Aren't these guys supposed to be former techs?

Originally Posted by buklae620
Lots of good information in this thread. My mom just picked up a 2011 C300 with only 12,000 miles on it. I think that I'll print the documents in johand's thread and bring them to the dealer when the tranny service comes due.

Anyone have any recommendations on how to approach the dealers with this information?

One would think that if the customer specifically stated that he or she wanted the transmission service performed EXACTLY how it is listed in the pdf's provided in johand's thread, the service advisor or technician may interpret that as "who the heck is this guy trying to tell me how to do my job?"

I'm use to working on my own car, sometimes time doesnt allow that. So when it's in someone else's hands my firm attitude (which sometimes gets interpreted as d-bag ish) comes out.
Easy. Ask them if they will be draining the TC and replacing the misc. items mentioned. If they say this is not necessary, present them with a print out of the PDF and say that you plan on keeping this car for a very long time and want it to be serviced to the T.

There is a strong chance, however, that the SA will simply reply YES just to please you and make NO mention of your concerns to the tech who may or may not routinely leave out those items. He may try to avoid directly answering your question and feed you gibberish about how well trained the technicians are.

If you don't want to leave it to chance... I'd say go in with the PDF, show it to them, explain that you have heard that other dealerships have said it is not necessary, but that you plan on keeping this car for a very long time and want everything done to last. If you want to avoid the face to face confrontation, you can send an e-mail to the advisor you have an appointment with AND bring a hard copy to present to them and leave it on the dash for the tech.

Last edited by dcjwlee; 02-15-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by venchka
Thanks Glyn. I don't know much, but what they were saying sounded bogus. I will go prepared with educational materials.

Wayne
Hey Guys - I'm not trying to be critical but these tranny's can cost $10,000 to do a proper repair if they fail. They are wonderful transmissions if properly maintained. Look at the troublesome crap you get in an Audi for instance.

I have an excellent dealership owned by MB & I still monitor my services. The techs & service manager at my dealership are excellent. The SA's as you call them less so. One a$$hole SA told me that my 722.6 transmission on my previous C240 had no drain plug on the pan

As concerned & informed owners we have to go into a dealership & tell them clearly what we want done. pdf. in hand if necessary. If they refuse to react professionally & do as we wish for our hard earned money & as specified in the global WIS then we have every right to find a competent alternative.

I'm personally tired of MBUSA bad practice because it costs you as owners down the line out of warranty.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:57 PM

2008 C350 Sport
Originally Posted by buklae620

Read my posts above, the dealer was extremely accommodating as I walked through the documents with the service manager and he relayed the information back and forth with the tech until we were all in agreement. I think the opposite response happened, they seemed to appreciate that I was knowledgeable on how it was suppose to be done, and again, I was polite and respectful - and they reacted professionally and did exactly what I asked of them - better off with that approach, good luck.

Last edited by Scat01; 02-15-2012 at 10:03 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

Read my posts above, the dealer was extremely accommodating as I walked through the documents with the service manager
That's good news! Not all are bad.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:15 AM

2008 C300 Sport
I had my transmission fluid changed on Friday 5/4/12 and when I dropped off my car the SA confirmed with me that they will drain the torque converter. Today I went to pick up my car and noticed that there was only 5 QTs of oil used and then I questioned them. The SA was called to explain to me and he said he checked with his manager and was told that they no longer drain the torque converter per a memo they received 2 months ago. I also brought the printout of the transmission fluid change document that is posted on one of the forums just in case they told me that they do not drain the torque converter. I left the dealership unsatisfied and confused I called a few more MB dealerships and some quoted me that they do require to drain the torque converter and others said they do not drain the torque converter. My next question is what steps do you recommend to take to get the full service completed which includes draining the converter. When the survey comes out I will definitely add my unsatisfactory comments, but it still makes no sense that they add new transmission fluid and also mix with the old from the torque converter since it was not drained. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...-done-but.html
Old 05-06-2012, 12:31 PM

2008 C300 Sport
Thanks! I will post my comment there.
Old 02-08-2013, 05:03 PM

Mercedes GLK 220CDI (Diesel)
GLK 220 CDI transmission oil change (722.9 'box)

I brought my GLK in for a transmission oil change at the official MB factory outlet where I bought the car. A few surprises (other than the shock of a 430 € bill):

The bill shows 7 liters of oil, not 9 (and they didn't specify which one).
The bill also shows the cost of new screws, filter and gasket, which is OK. But nothing for a new TC drain plug. Could that mean that they didn't drain it?
The car showed slight signs of dripping for the next few days. I supposed at first that this could have been some spillage, but it didn't get better. The drip actually increased.
Brought the car back, the guys at the shop swore to God that there was nothing amiss (after a hour and a half, they actually let me in the workshop, which seems like penetrating the forbidden inner temple in MB garages). They showed me that it was clean as a whistle (with the plastic underpans taken off) and denied any leaks. The fact is that now, nothing leaks and all seems OK, but I have the niggling feeling that they probably hadn't done their homework well on the first time around.
You know what? Next time, I'll do it myself, now that I found your threads. The only extra tool I will need will be a IR thermometer.

Last edited by ticondo46; 02-08-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:36 PM

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 C300 RWD Sport Premium
Originally Posted by oldhook
I went to a dealership here in NJ for my B2 service(@33k Miles) Quote. During that time the SA said, my 39k trans service is going to cost me $1200-$1400. I think i have to rethink after looking at the numbers here.

Thanks.
I was told the same thing here in Florida. He said when I hit 40k miles I'm looking at $1,400 out of pocket!
Old 02-08-2013, 09:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2008 c300 sport 4matic
Calling out to anybody who has completed this service. I'm planning to do this myself, however, I am still not 100% certain how to refill the transmission.

According to the DIY instructions found on mbworld, I drain the pan, then the torque converter, then I plug it up the torque converter. Then I pump the ATF into the trans via the drain plug. What stumps me is it seems since the drain plug is the only access to the transmission pan, if I block this, and proceed to dispense ATF through this hole, the air occupying the transmission pan must compress to accommodate the ATF. Am I missing something? Is this pressure negligible? Is the adapter that screws into the drain plug to dispense ATF not air tight?
Can anybody clear this up for me?

Last edited by tpdietz; 02-08-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator

The transmission has a spill over tube.

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...ce-thread.html
Old 08-24-2013, 11:44 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
84 300d 2009 e320 bluetec
Anybody know what happens when the fill adjustment is done at 93*F/34*C instead of 113*F/45*C as in the latest WIS. I think it will be overfilled by 10mm or half inch. Is this still within tolerance or does the level need to be adjusted?
Old 08-25-2013, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by ticondo46
I brought my GLK in for a transmission oil change at the official MB factory outlet where I bought the car. A few surprises (other than the shock of a 430 € bill):

The bill shows 7 liters of oil, not 9 (and they didn't specify which one).
The bill also shows the cost of new screws, filter and gasket, which is OK. But nothing for a new TC drain plug. Could that mean that they didn't drain it?
The car showed slight signs of dripping for the next few days. I supposed at first that this could have been some spillage, but it didn't get better. The drip actually increased.
IMHO and summary: Pan takes an actual 4+ Qt. The TC capacity 4.0 L or 4.2 Qt. then remove pan, replace filter, remove gasket, clean pan and magnet, install pan with new bolts and new seal. Said to need 4.5 quart in pan, start, and fill more (original plus 1 Qt). Run through gears, tranny to very warm. let cool, adjust ATF level at 45*C. Do google for WIS on details.

My INDY said 7 Qt but used 8 Qt. and said to reused the TC plug. If the TC was done, there usually some spillage on the bell. The TC plug and seal are usually new cause the seal has some crush sealant on/in the seal. Most mechanics don't do a through drain of TC. Quick drain to save time and it might be better not to let the parts get too dry.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by dave2001auto

My INDY said 6 Qt but used 8 Qt. and said to reused the TC plug. ...
correction: said 6 Qt but used 7 Qt. from the empty bottles.

Likely TC not done.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Gentle Warning - Service your 722.9 Transmission every 39K miles 60K Km's