C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

$450 for FRONT & REAR Parktronic Parking Sensor Installation - Fair Price???? (Pics)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
Exclamation $450 for FRONT & REAR Parktronic Parking Sensor Installation - Fair Price???? (Pics)

Getting my Steel Mate (high quality brand - not cheap $10 ebay sensors) front and rear 8 sensor parktronic system installed this weekend...

link to system: http://www.steelmateusa.com/PTS800MM.php
http://www.qualitymobilevideo.com/pts800mm.aspx
http://www.amazon.com/Steelmate-PTS8.../dp/B003H3DSS8
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Steelmate-PT...ht_1432wt_1346

I already color matched the sensors to Arctic White myself (light sand/then 2 coats of primer/ 2 coats of arctic white / 2 coats of clear)

there are 8 sensors (4 front / 4 rear) and 2 visual indicators (one to sit on top or under rearview mirror and one for rear roof area by rear domelight)

I realize they have to take off both bumpers and run cables inside the car for both visual sensors, so probably very labor intensive...

But I just wanted to get some forum members opinions if their quote for $450 fully installed was reasonable/ too high / too low????

as many know, this car is hard to tell where the front end (especially) is when parking based off the design of the dash/pillars/window, so parktronic systems will hopefully help me out.... especially now that I cant clear parking blocks anymore with my front lip!

and I already have a backup cam but feel like adding rear sensors will be the ultimate system!

thanks in advance for your opinions!

Last edited by rb23lb; 01-17-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C350 Sport
How old of a guy are you? Where do you live? How long have you had your car? What are the driving conditions?.....

Point being, without knowing details it is hard to say if this is worth the cost - If you are driving to and parking in NYC, then probably, if you are retired and are trying not to hit the curb at Walmart, maybe not...

If you are adamant on installing this, even from a pure gadget standpoint, then the labor cost does not sound too out of range based on the description of work you provided...
Old 01-17-2012, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic
I don't see the need for the rear sensors if you already have a reverse camera?

Why not save yourself some money and just do the front sensors?
Personally I don't see the benefit because I'm always worried about scraping my bumper on the curb / parking block. I doubt those sensors will pick that up.

Price for installation doesn't sound too bad to me since there is a lot of work involved.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 179 Likes on 146 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Remember they have to remove the bumper plastics to do a proper installation.

I would not have a Benz without Parktronic & BiX but that is me. The aftermarket systems are OK but not as good as the genuine article. Remember the genuine Parktronic uses 6 sensors on the front.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C200 Estate Kompressor W204, 2018 GLA 220d
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck

I would not have a Benz without Parktronic & BiX but that is me. The aftermarket systems are OK but not as good as the genuine article. Remember the genuine Parktronic uses 6 sensors on the front.
Glyn, +1
Old 01-17-2012, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LOADED 08' C350 & 14' GLK-350 Diamond White (P1, MM, AMG Pkg, Ln Trkng, Htd Sts, Keylss Go)
Originally Posted by acr2001
I don't see the need for the rear sensors if you already have a reverse camera?

Why not save yourself some money and just do the front sensors?
Personally I don't see the benefit because I'm always worried about scraping my bumper on the curb / parking block. I doubt those sensors will pick that up.

Price for installation doesn't sound too bad to me since there is a lot of work involved.
mainly just for having knowledge of exactly how far I am from an object and better side sensing capabilities... and also just because its just another mod that will make the car slightly more tricked out with gadgets...

and ya, for the front sensors, I am hoping that I can get them to where they pick up the parking blocks... but if not, it definitley will help when I park into spots against walls like at my office and my condo garage that don't have parking blocks and its hard as hell to see how close you can get in this car without hitting the nose of ur bumper...

and also just to get the cool Euro look of a c-class with front oem looking sensors since you cant get them from the factory on the front in the US...
Old 01-17-2012, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck

ya i looked high and low for an aftermarket system with 6 FRONT sensors and failed unfortunately
Old 01-17-2012, 10:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Scat01
How old of a guy are you? Where do you live? How long have you had your car? What are the driving conditions?.....

Point being, without knowing details it is hard to say if this is worth the cost - If you are driving to and parking in NYC, then probably, if you are retired and are trying not to hit the curb at Walmart, maybe not...

If you are adamant on installing this, even from a pure gadget standpoint, then the labor cost does not sound too out of range based on the description of work you provided...
27 yrs old... so cal... love gadgets...

thanks for your opinion on cost... i agree, not too bad, seems about right...
Old 01-18-2012, 01:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2008 Black Out C350 Saks Edition / 87 VW GTI
If you feel more comfortable having parktronic do it, $450 installation + $80.00 sensor still cheaper than getting it done at the dealer.