C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Better windshield glass?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6spd C300 Sport
Better windshield glass?

Alright moving on.
Last night I discovered my windshield is cracked, since then it appears to have grown a few inches over night.
I was planning on waiting until after the winter to get it replaced so the new one isn't immediately pummeled with rocks but now seeing how much it expanded overnight on a parked car I'm not sure it's a good idea to wait? It probably wouldn't matter though right since it needs to be replaced regardless?

More importantly searching through here though I see the broken windshield club has a long and prestigious list of people , but I didn't find any suggestions.
Ordinarily I would just get OEM glass and not even waste a thought on it, but in this case I have the feeling the OEM glass is the problem so is there a better alternative out there? I don't want to have to start scheduling annual windshield replacements so I would like to get something that will survive, but still has all the fancy tricks Mercedes put in (if there are any?) and of course I would prefer it doesn't stand out like it's obviously been replaced and is the wrong stuff you know.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts
Another round of ICE
Deviating from OE glass is more likely to get you an inferior rather than superior product for optical clarity, if not durability. I suggest calling Safelite and asking them to use OE glass. Most insurance policies have glass coverage, but check out the terms on yours. Also, if it matters to you, ordering OE glass will include the signature decal for the lower right side corner. Replace it asap once it is cracked as a safety precaution.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:01 AM

6spd C300 Sport
Thanks a lot, that is what I would normally suspect which is why I was asking. the durability is a large factor in the clarity though, if not at first but after less than 15k it's already so chipped I was thinking about replacing it anyway.
I am waiting on a call back from safelite already so I'll see what options they have and suggest
Old 01-26-2012, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
You can halt the crack by having it drilled & filled with resin at a windscreen repairer.

Other things maybe to consider is that the rain sensor is included & knowing that the windscreen strengthens the car body & has to be fitted with the correct glues.

Also check if there is any corrosion under the glass which should be treated.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:46 PM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Originally Posted by crash1369

Alright moving on.
Last night I discovered my windshield is cracked, since then it appears to have grown a few inches over night.
I was planning on waiting until after the winter to get it replaced so the new one isn't immediately pummeled with rocks but now seeing how much it expanded overnight on a parked car I'm not sure it's a good idea to wait? It probably wouldn't matter though right since it needs to be replaced regardless?

More importantly searching through here though I see the broken windshield club has a long and prestigious list of people , but I didn't find any suggestions.
Ordinarily I would just get OEM glass and not even waste a thought on it, but in this case I have the feeling the OEM glass is the problem so is there a better alternative out there? I don't want to have to start scheduling annual windshield replacements so I would like to get something that will survive, but still has all the fancy tricks Mercedes put in (if there are any?) and of course I would prefer it doesn't stand out like it's obviously been replaced and is the wrong stuff you know.
First, call your dealer and ask who does their glass work. Then go there and they will deal with your insurance company. Assuming you have comprehensive coverage, you will pay your deductible (amount chosen by you) and that's the end of it. All W204 replacement glasses include the rain sensor bracket so that's not an issue.

As to OE glass from the dealer, don't get your heart set on it. Of late, auto insurance companies will not pay OE prices if the car is over a certain age (picked by them) and will insist on another brand. If you must have OE, be ready to pay the difference.

Keep in mind that MB has plants worldwide and so glass brands will differ but will be equal. My '08 C300's glass is all Pilkington but my previous W203's glass was French made by PPG. The two replacements for that car were PPG made somewhere else and were identical to the OE.

Also, MB has considered the windshield to be part of the structure since the '90s and says the car should be left overnight for the adhesive to cure. Also. the MB decal in the lower right is installed by the glass shop or you can buy them from the dealer
for a few bucks.

I wonder where the SA cars glass comes from?
Old 01-26-2012, 09:36 PM

C300 sport 4matic
I can't speak to safety and durability, but in terms of optical clarity, my W204 OEM windshield is worse than any car I have ever owned. It is more pitted at 20k miles than my Camry was at 120k. I am planning to eventually replace mine with non-OEM for this reason unless I come across definitive evidence that a non-OEM windshield would be significantly less safe. I don't even care about the rain sensor at this point. I love my MB but MB should be ashamed of the windshield they put on my car (and the ContiPro Contact tires of course).
Old 01-26-2012, 09:58 PM

6spd C300 Sport
According to the people I talked to at safelite, I only have two choices and chances are they're both exactly the same other then whether it has the logo or not. Regardless there are regulations and minimum standards any glass manufacture would have to meet in order to be in accordance with insurance, or highway traffic and safety or whatever. I'm sure you can probably find some cheap brands someplace that don't care, but I would be surprised if they made stuff for a Mercedes anyway.

The short version is they seem to think it's not actually the glass itself that's the problem but just the fact that it's so huge and the design of the car. Apparently it's aerodynamics... and I'll be out $700 every ****ing summer
Old 01-26-2012, 10:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
I am pretty sure that the glass from south africa builds uses something like "armorguard" or something similar for the vehicle. Also to note, my 2012 c-class coupe (built in Germany) has this same "armorgard" glass. Again, I am not 100% sure on the name, but it is NOT Pilkington that was on my 2009 c300.

However, I am happy, I don't know if it is the 2012 design, but it is MUCH quieter inside the car (less wind noise) from cars. However, this could be also due to the new sidemirrors because my sister's 2011 has the sidemirrors and armorgard glass and is also quiet. So it could be the glass, the mirrors, or a combination of both.

As far as the windshield goes, I don't think you can get worse than the OEM glass. Mine was SEVERELY pitted, had a few deep chips, and just crap quality if you ask me. Good thing I lease my cars and get a new one every 24 months or I would have been PISSED.

Of something interesting to note though, is that my sister's 2011 c300 that has the "armorgard" glass has a perfect windshield (and has over 30k miles and mainly highway). Perhaps the windsheild on Armorgard glass equipped vehicles is different too?

This could be why the 2012 versions that are also made in germany have switched from pilkington to this armorguard glass.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C250 Coupe
Originally Posted by crash1369
According to the people I talked to at safelite, I only have two choices and chances are they're both exactly the same other then whether it has the logo or not. Regardless there are regulations and minimum standards any glass manufacture would have to meet in order to be in accordance with insurance, or highway traffic and safety or whatever. I'm sure you can probably find some cheap brands someplace that don't care, but I would be surprised if they made stuff for a Mercedes anyway.

The short version is they seem to think it's not actually the glass itself that's the problem but just the fact that it's so huge and the design of the car. Apparently it's aerodynamics... and I'll be out $700 every ****ing summer
$700?!?! Sheessh - sounds like you need a new insurance company (and/or add glass coverage). Its free for me to get it replaced the first time in a year, and $20 deductible for each replacement thereafter for that calendar year. - I work at a baseball complex and many foul ***** are attracted to my w204... lol.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2008 W204 Sport
Just had the windsheild replaced on our w204 a few weeks ago...i requested OEM and it was replaced with OEM under my policy for free.