C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Bi-Xenon VS HID

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 C350
Bi-Xenon VS HID

Hey guys, I've got the Bi-Xenon on right now and thinking about the HID... How great would the differance be and could someone that has done it, reply with their thoughts on the topic???
Thanks

PS... I really like how the headlights go up and down when I start the car(the simply are simply amused). Would this change?

And WHY THE F#*K do my headlights go up and down!?!?!? Do they do this whilst I'm driving and I just dont notice it???

Thanks guys,
Mike
Old 03-21-2012, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2009 C350
Originally Posted by MoneyMike23
Hey guys, I've got the Bi-Xenon on right now and thinking about the HID... How great would the differance be and could someone that has done it, reply with their thoughts on the topic???
Thanks

PS... I really like how the headlights go up and down when I start the car(the simply are simply amused). Would this change?

And WHY THE F#*K do my headlights go up and down!?!?!? Do they do this whilst I'm driving and I just dont notice it???

Thanks guys,
Mike
To answer your question, first off, your BiXenons are already technically HIDs, and they (as far as I know) don't make an HID kit for D1S bulbs.

Secondly, that is the autoleveling feature and it DOES do it while your driving. For example lets say you're going up a steep hill. It'll adjust the lenses so that you can see farther than you would as compared to the output when the lenses aren't adjusted. Also, I heard somewhere that once you hit highway speeds, the lights are aimed a bit higher/farther as well.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:53 PM

'08 C350
Thanks Chicken! (Awesome name btw)
Old 03-21-2012, 06:39 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
2008 W204
I always thought they were exactly the same thing just different names.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:01 AM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'08 C300 Lux Barolo Red Beige Leather P2 MM 18" wheels '84 944
Originally Posted by LandSeaAir
I always thought they were exactly the same thing just different names.
Correct. HID=High intensity discharge

Bi-Xenon=One Xenon bulb used for two functions, high and low beam. A little solenoid-operated shutter lifts when high beam is selected, exposing the entire bulb.

Auto-levelling:prevents the beam from blinding oncoming drivers no matter what the cabin or trunk loads may be. Required by law in Europe for cars with HID lights.

Last edited by RLE; 03-22-2012 at 01:04 AM.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 E350 RWD
Figured bi-xenon were one bulb with both high/low function. What puzzles me is Mercedes with bi-xenon still has a projector and reflector for the high beam.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:00 AM

'08 C350
Lot's of great info guys!!! Thanks a lot
Old 03-22-2012, 05:18 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
2008 W204
Originally Posted by RLE
Correct. HID=High intensity discharge

Bi-Xenon=One Xenon bulb used for two functions, high and low beam. A little solenoid-operated shutter lifts when high beam is selected, exposing the entire bulb.

Auto-levelling:prevents the beam from blinding oncoming drivers no matter what the cabin or trunk loads may be. Required by law in Europe for cars with HID lights.
While we're on the topic, I remember reading something interesting about headlamp washers. When the lens get dirty on the Xenon lights, the light is so bright that the dirt makes the light scatter and distract other drivers making headlamp washers a law in the US.

I always thought it was just another "luxury feature" that came with Xenons, but it is in fact a law to have them.

And yes, it is funny Mercedes calls their headlight Bi-Xenons on the window sticker, but they have a separate reflector and bulb for the high beam. It is possible that reflector is an auxiliary high beam, but when I put my high beams on at night they go on with the low beam.

Last edited by LandSeaAir; 03-22-2012 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:38 PM

'11 C350 '13 F150 lariat
bi xenon is HID, same thing. what that means is its one bulb w a motor/reflector that moves the low into high position,u would be wasting your time w that, only thing u can change is the bulb itself for the color, I have non OEM bulbs w factory ballasts. The lights go up and down to check for the working order of the reflector motor AND to level themselves upon startup. Most cars have reflector Hi's that have Bixenon because they use them for flash to pass only, if you go forward on the stick for Hibeams its the Bixenon working. Get out of your car at night and check it out for yourself, u can see them actually moving. I never checked my 2011 but I think the high bulb next to teh projector is additional light, i think these cars use teh main bulb for flash to pass too......
Old 03-23-2012, 12:38 AM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by itsLoonie
Figured bi-xenon were one bulb with both high/low function. What puzzles me is Mercedes with bi-xenon still has a projector and reflector for the high beam.
The extra inner high beam, aside from a little extra light, allows headlight flashing since Xenon bulbs take too long to illuminate. High beam flashing is used widely in Europe instead of the horn. I changed my high beams (H7s) to 85w to make them a bit more obvious when I'm trying to get past a Prius or some such. No, the brighter bulb does not cause a heat problem.

When levelling, the reflector rotates up or down and the Xenon bulb moves with it since it is attached. Again, the shutter lifts for high beam, exposing the entire bulb. So, when lights are on, the Xenon high beam is used with the inner H7 bulb but when off, only the inner high beam flashes.

And on startup when the lights go up and down once, it's the system going through a self-check.

Last edited by RLE; 03-24-2012 at 01:41 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 E350 RWD
Ah, I see. I don't pay much attention to lighting that much. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:02 AM

'08 C350
A wealth of knowledge in this thread!!!
Old 03-27-2012, 09:31 AM

C300
Originally Posted by RLE
The extra inner high beam, aside from a little extra light, allows headlight flashing since Xenon bulbs take too long to illuminate. High beam flashing is used widely in Europe instead of the horn. I changed my high beams (H7s) to 85w to make them a bit more obvious when I'm trying to get past a Prius or some such. No, the brighter bulb does not cause a heat problem.

When levelling, the reflector rotates up or down and the Xenon bulb moves with it since it is attached. Again, the shutter lifts for high beam, exposing the entire bulb. So, when lights are on, the Xenon high beam is used with the inner H7 bulb but when off, only the inner high beam flashes.

And on startup when the lights go up and down once, it's the system going through a self-check.
How long have you had the 85w bulbs in? If no heat issues I may up mine as well. People over here don't seem to have quite grasped the fact that the left lane is for PASSING. I try to give a flick of my left turn signal to maybe suggest I'm ready to go around you (maybe they're waiting for me to get set), but that's lost in translation.

EDIT: Is the difference substantial between stock 55w and your 85s?

Last edited by erichighley; 03-27-2012 at 09:35 AM.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 794 Likes on 597 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Originally Posted by LandSeaAir
While we're on the topic, I remember reading something interesting about headlamp washers. When the lens get dirty on the Xenon lights, the light is so bright that the dirt makes the light scatter and distract other drivers making headlamp washers a law in the US.

I always thought it was just another "luxury feature" that came with Xenons, but it is in fact a law to have them.
Not a law in the US. Lots of cars are sold in the USDM market with OEM HID and no washers. To name a few:

Toyota Avalon, Venza, Sienna
Nissan Maxima, Altima, Rogue, Murano, 370Z
Ford Mustang

The list goes on and on and on. You'll find the washers on lots of European cars with HID, but not all - i.e. BMW 3-series.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:06 AM
RLE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by erichighley
How long have you had the 85w bulbs in? If no heat issues I may up mine as well. People over here don't seem to have quite grasped the fact that the left lane is for PASSING. I try to give a flick of my left turn signal to maybe suggest I'm ready to go around you (maybe they're waiting for me to get set), but that's lost in translation.

EDIT: Is the difference substantial between stock 55w and your 85s?
I installed the 85W bulbs in October 2007 when the car was delivered and I can tell the difference. As to heat, there has been no effect but keep in mind that high beams really aren't on for long unless you live in Nevada or Montana.

Just do it.

BTW, my Porsche has H4 100/160W bulbs (in CIBIE Z-Beams) with relays and the C300s Bi-Xenons are better.