C-Class (W204) 2008 - 2014: C180K, C200K, C230, C280, C300, C350, C200CDI, C220CDI, C320CDI

Licence plate bulb swap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 09:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
This and that.
Licence plate bulb swap

So I was thinking of changing the yellow bulbs the stock licence plate lights have and put LED one's in and had a couple questions.

I heard that these can apparently throw error codes on the dash, which is something I deff don't want. While researching google, I came across this. What do you guys think of this? Anyone has these and can confirm that no error code is thrown?

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/ProductDeta...%2DS3&CartID=1

They have DIY on their site as well which seems to be fairly easy I guess. Just a bit of work removing the carpet under the trunk and what not but I am sure it wouldn't be too hard to do.

Another questions, slightly related is in regards to the side marker lights in the front. I am interested in changing that ghastly yellow reflector sort of lights with some clear one's. Not just the cover but the lights as well. Is there are DIY around here to do that? Also, does that throw any sort of error codes at all?

My biggest worry with doing any of these mods is if it can void my factory warranty? I understand that these are simple bulb swaps if you think about it and shouldn't mess with the warranty, but can anyone confirm?

Thanks everyone.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 169 Likes on 134 Posts
W140 Mercedes S350, W221 S550 sport
I just did the license plate led swap and used some leds that I also sell from my company. They are working so far with no errors! I'm going to give it a few more days to make sure, but if it doesn't, they aren't expensive.

You do have to remove the trunk liner to do the install, which is ridic to me. Every other car you can get to the bulbs by prying off the plastic cover, or by unscrewing something, without having to do this! It wasn't hard, but I just think it's Mercedes wanting you to being the car to the dealer when a bulb blows.

Follow this for the install:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...onversion.html
Old 03-29-2012, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This and that.
Thanks for your input, I'll check out the bulbs you are talking about. I read somewhere that any bulbs without resistors would throw error codes. There was a DIY around somewhere that the person did resistor install with the bulbs. The link I posted above has the bulbs with built-in resistors which I am thinking is the key to no error codes on the dash.

Anyone any ideas about the side marker lights in the front? I saw the white plastic covers on ebay for fairly cheap. But would I need bulbs for that too? How hard/easy is it to install those one's? Can they just pop out, swap the bulb and pop back in or has Mercedes made our life hard for that too?
Old 03-29-2012, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Check my post above, at the bottom of my reply, I posted the link to the DIY. Again though, I didn't install any resistors and I have no error codes. I have many of these bulbs also, and maybe I send you some to try. Would be cool if this somehow works for others.

No sure on the sidemarkers yet, but I'm checking into that too.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This and that.
To be honest, I am not very hands on when it comes to this stuff so splicing the wires and what not like in that DIY link scares me a bit. I came across this DIY here on that website that sells those bulbs and found that one to be easier for some reason?

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Mercedes-W2...-DIY-a/198.htm

This seems like something I could potentially do since it's just removal of some bolts and fasteners and then just replacing the bulbs. What do you think of this one?
Old 03-29-2012, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yea, that's why I took my chances, I didn't have resistors around, and wanted to see if I'd get a code, and didn't get one. That link you posted replaces the whole light, instead of just a led "bulb" swap, and it looks like you have to remove the chrome trunk trim. Same as the link I posted earlier, but you have to remove more stuff since it's replacing the actual housing.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This and that.
Oh I suppose it's the whole module that is replaced. Makes sense now since it's a $40 unit and not as cheap as just the bulbs. Maybe since it's the whole module, that's why it doesn't throw any error codes.

I won't order it right now, keep me updated if yours throws any error codes in a few days here.

EDIT: First thing though, can doing anything like this void the factory warranty?

Last edited by papashango; 03-29-2012 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cool, I will. Bulbs can't void the wararnty, especially since the 2012 model comes with them standard. Now, clear lenses, the dealer could be pickly and say that won't inspect it, but any local shop won't care. Sometimes dealers can be picky on purpose when it comes to clear lenses.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black C300 Sport
Originally Posted by papashango
Oh I suppose it's the whole module that is replaced. Makes sense now since it's a $40 unit and not as cheap as just the bulbs. Maybe since it's the whole module, that's why it doesn't throw any error codes.

I won't order it right now, keep me updated if yours throws any error codes in a few days here.

EDIT: First thing though, can doing anything like this void the factory warranty?

As long as you get the canbus leds for the side markers you wont have any error codes or any splicing cables to install. You need to unscrew the side marker and pull it out replace with the clear ones with the error free leds and you're done no big deal. No warranty voiding either.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:13 AM

09 ml350 4matic
i had the same LEDs for the license plate light on my c300 as you linked. no errors. i bought them from a forum sponsor here. jbspeed i think it was.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This and that.
How much did you pay? Is $40 like on that website a good price? How hard/easy was it to change them yourself?
Old 04-07-2012, 10:44 PM

09 ml350 4matic
i forgot how much i paid for them but it wasn't too difficult to install. just like the ijdmtoy site shows you how to do it. the only hard thing was to get to the two screws inside the trunk to release the trim in step 3. all in all it took about 10mins or so
Old 04-07-2012, 11:15 PM

2010 C300 4MATIC Sport
I have those same exact bulbs from iJDMTOY. I followed the DIY provided on their site and rest was cake. It's a very simple install. Been over 1.5 years and never had an error. I've replaced all bulbs with LEDs (interior and exterior) and never had an error. I beleive I also scooped up those clear side marker lights from them too and another simple DIY. I've notice a new style of clear side marker lights that have a LED strip in it too. That is a simple plug-n-play. Check those out since you have options now.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:54 PM

2009 C300
I was looking at this they have 8000k ones

http://www.precisionled.com/mercedes...8-present.html
Old 04-08-2012, 01:17 AM

2011 C300 Sport, 2007 Nissan Titan Crew Cab
Originally Posted by SUBastian
I was looking at this they have 8000k ones

http://www.precisionled.com/mercedes...8-present.html
Check these ones too. He doesn't carry the 8000k, but he's a sponsor here and has very good customer service. Just got all my exterior LEDs from him, will do my interiors next. Plus his car is pretty sweet.
http://aznoptics.com/index.php?main_...products_id=47
Old 04-08-2012, 01:23 AM

2010 C300 4MATIC Sport
Originally Posted by mhad2480
Check these ones too. He doesn't carry the 8000k, but he's a sponsor here and has very good customer service. Just got all my exterior LEDs from him, will do my interiors next. Plus his car is pretty sweet.
Yes, Mike is outstanding!
Old 04-09-2012, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This and that.
Originally Posted by AK-Benz
I have those same exact bulbs from iJDMTOY. I followed the DIY provided on their site and rest was cake. It's a very simple install. Been over 1.5 years and never had an error. I've replaced all bulbs with LEDs (interior and exterior) and never had an error. I beleive I also scooped up those clear side marker lights from them too and another simple DIY. I've notice a new style of clear side marker lights that have a LED strip in it too. That is a simple plug-n-play. Check those out since you have options now.

So I guess I am gonna order that licence plate bulb thing. Also, where do you see the clear side markers on that website? I want those too, was gonna order from ebay, but if I can just oder them from that website at the same time, I'll do that. I couldn't find that item there. Thanks.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:41 PM

2010 C300 4MATIC Sport
In fact on eBay I saw the licecse plate and LED clear side marker lights for 80 bones. I don't have the link. Im on my phone but that's a good deal.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This and that.
I need to order angel eyes for the x5 as well and ijdm toy seem to have those too. I guess I am gonna order the licence plate set up for the Merc and angel eyes from them and the clear side markers, I'll look for on ebay.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:23 PM

'10 C300
Originally Posted by mhad2480
aznoptics led's are great. i swapped most of my lights with his leds. License plate led looks great!
Old 04-09-2012, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Jason B
Yea, that's why I took my chances, I didn't have resistors around, and wanted to see if I'd get a code, and didn't get one. That link you posted replaces the whole light, instead of just a led "bulb" swap, and it looks like you have to remove the chrome trunk trim. Same as the link I posted earlier, but you have to remove more stuff since it's replacing the actual housing.
I've now had the leds in for about two weeks and no codes. I do have a couple extra sets I got in. If anyone wants let me know. Only like $10 for the pair.